Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 41775 times)

busey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1440 on: June 06, 2023, 05:15:40 AM »
got my tickets months ago. anyone else going?
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1441 on: June 06, 2023, 06:43:43 AM »
Forbidden Door is a definite AMC Theatre showing ticket purchase for me.

I’m probably going to buy a ticket for the ROH ppv in Trenton.

Lol at CM Punk having to be on a completely separate show as the Elite.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 27
« Reply #1442 on: June 07, 2023, 07:18:19 AM »
Yeah the CM Punk stuff is crazy but from Tony's perspective he 100% has to get some money back from his investment in the old man.

It will be interesting to see how he is received outside of Chicago.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1443 on: June 07, 2023, 10:10:10 AM »
RIP Iron Sheik

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #1444 on: June 07, 2023, 11:17:03 AM »
Forbidden Door is a definite AMC Theatre showing ticket purchase for me.

I’m probably going to buy a ticket for the ROH ppv in Trenton.

Lol at CM Punk having to be on a completely separate show as the Elite.

It’s basically what they had to do to get the Rock in another Fast and Furious movie

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #1445 on: June 11, 2023, 05:13:36 AM »
Magnum TA dark side of the ring episode was decent. They're going for a slightly softer tone this season I think, but it's still a good story to know if you're a wrestling fan because it's maybe the biggest "what if" in history. Pretty sad story but Magnum seems like a pretty solid and intelligent dude and it looks like he ended up doing ok for himself after wrestling.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1446 on: June 11, 2023, 06:06:44 AM »
Sky Blue on Hey EW this week.   Very unsure of herself

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1447 on: June 11, 2023, 06:31:42 PM »
Magnum TA dark side of the ring episode was decent. They're going for a slightly softer tone this season I think, but it's still a good story to know if you're a wrestling fan because it's maybe the biggest "what if" in history. Pretty sad story but Magnum seems like a pretty solid and intelligent dude and it looks like he ended up doing ok for himself after wrestling.

It was good & I could not agree more about the softer tone as even the Sunny & Candido one was mild. JYD & Doink ones should rule.

AEW continues to disappoint…..

Orange Cassidy vs Strickland was very sick but the rest of the night was terrible.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1448 on: June 12, 2023, 03:19:55 AM »
Chris Candidos brother is a dead wringer for regular joe Moxley

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #1449 on: June 13, 2023, 03:48:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It was good & I could not agree more about the softer tone as even the Sunny & Candido one was mild. JYD & Doink ones should rule.
lol wasn't intentional really - just the nature of the stories. i also produced the doink episode and i think that'll be more of a classic DSOTR feel.

and you're right JYD (and the marty episode!) are going to be bangers

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1450 on: June 13, 2023, 04:52:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
lol wasn't intentional really - just the nature of the stories. i also produced the doink episode and i think that'll be more of a classic DSOTR feel.

Can’t wait to see more detail on Borne Again.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1451 on: June 13, 2023, 07:18:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

What’s Borne Again?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1452 on: June 13, 2023, 08:06:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What’s Borne Again?

Matt Borne’s ECW persona. It was so good, yet so short-lived…

https://youtu.be/R4jswcvml08

https://youtu.be/Ell-3_dW-Xg

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #1453 on: June 13, 2023, 08:21:20 AM »
that gimmick was so good! especially how at the time it blurred the lines of kayfabe and reality with how doink was simultaneously being played by others in the wwf. after beating opponents he'd dress them up like a clown and ask them how it felt. short lived but would have loved to see where it could have gone.

there are some wild stories and shocking moments in this episode, really hope you all dig it. and honestly appreciate you all taking the time to check out the chris and tammy episode too

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1454 on: June 13, 2023, 08:53:07 AM »
Fuck yes.   This is way up my alley.   

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1455 on: June 13, 2023, 01:57:37 PM »
Last nights RAW was a 5/5 in my book. So thrilled to see Finn Balor get a shot at the heavyweight championship against Rollins. Those two will ideally have an eventually considered classic match.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1456 on: June 14, 2023, 05:19:40 AM »

Bourne was a piece of work and one of my biggest regrets is he couldn't stay out of his own way long enough for that gimmick to play out. Early Doing with the chains off....I feel like Paul E could have nurtured that into something pretty groundbreaking. He tried again in late stage Memphis but it wasn't the same and the studio rasslin crowd didn't really seem to get it. He was an ok worker when he wanted to be though, especially in his younger days but there's actually some decent Big Josh matches out there too. By the time he was doinkin around he was kind of a mess both outside and inside the ring.

But yeah I guess dude was a pretty big asshole and he used to constantly fight with someone in the back but I can't think of who it is....I wanna say it's one of those guys who most people speak highly of and it was enough heat that one of them had to leave the territory and they almost had a shoot in the ring over it. Duggan maybe? I'm like 90% sure he also had to flee one of the territories in the middle of an angle to avoid a statutory rape case back in the day but that might have been one of the Barrs or someone else from the PNW.

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #1457 on: June 14, 2023, 08:12:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bourne was a piece of work and one of my biggest regrets is he couldn't stay out of his own way long enough for that gimmick to play out. Early Doing with the chains off....I feel like Paul E could have nurtured that into something pretty groundbreaking. He tried again in late stage Memphis but it wasn't the same and the studio rasslin crowd didn't really seem to get it. He was an ok worker when he wanted to be though, especially in his younger days but there's actually some decent Big Josh matches out there too. By the time he was doinkin around he was kind of a mess both outside and inside the ring.

But yeah I guess dude was a pretty big asshole and he used to constantly fight with someone in the back but I can't think of who it is....I wanna say it's one of those guys who most people speak highly of and it was enough heat that one of them had to leave the territory and they almost had a shoot in the ring over it. Duggan maybe? I'm like 90% sure he also had to flee one of the territories in the middle of an angle to avoid a statutory rape case back in the day but that might have been one of the Barrs or someone else from the PNW.
that's right, who still doesn't like him to this day.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1458 on: June 14, 2023, 10:58:29 AM »
https://youtu.be/WwS5TiUAG9s

This was my favorite Doink the Clown moment.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1459 on: June 14, 2023, 11:39:58 PM »

Two of the best unrealized gimmicks of their era. Waylon Mercy should have been his eras Jake the Snake, though I doubt Spiveys body would have held up. Those 7 footers that haven't had a midlife crisis biker gimmick usually seem to break down around that stage of their career. He was pretty amazing in that role though, I think the fact he has those crazy person eyes that would light up when he did his promos really sold it to me as a kid

I would have loved to see Spivey in the locker room when Shawn started his bullshit though. He was known for going after bullies and if I can almost guarantee that if he was in Vader's shoes for that summerslam match he would have stood up and beat him within an inch of his life right there on PPV. Spivey doesn't get mentioned a lot when people talk about guys who were legit but he was pretty un-fuckwithable. I believe he even fucked up, Adrian Adonis, who had a pretty heavy reputation as a shooter in his own right.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1460 on: June 15, 2023, 12:11:30 AM »

that's right, who still doesn't like him to this day.

@busey thanks I couldn't remember if it was him or one of the other midsouth guys like Dr. Death, but I remember thinking when I heard the story that it was a guy that I couldn't picture having issues with someone for no reason. Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure it was Bourne that banged a 13 year old because it came up again years later when Lawler also got caught.

Art Barr was another "what if" story that was also a rapist, but I believe she was (barely) of age.  Still didn't make it any less "oof" when they decided to make his entrance accompanied a pack of screaming children when he went to WCW.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1461 on: June 15, 2023, 03:20:11 AM »
RAW was another 5/5 this week & Dynamite surprisingly kept my interest. Only gripe was Ospreay coming out & dressing like a child. Tiny joggers, Nikes & an oversized Vans shirt. That look reminds me of all my students in alternative school; even the perm/undercut. I like Ospreay but hell…..I know it’s me…..but come on.

Also, Takeshita with a terrible name change….
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 10:01:22 AM by Mr. Kamikazi »

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1462 on: June 15, 2023, 06:27:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Two of the best unrealized gimmicks of their era. Waylon Mercy should have been his eras Jake the Snake, though I doubt Spiveys body would have held up. Those 7 footers that haven't had a midlife crisis biker gimmick usually seem to break down around that stage of their career. He was pretty amazing in that role though, I think the fact he has those crazy person eyes that would light up when he did his promos really sold it to me as a kid

I would have loved to see Spivey in the locker room when Shawn started his bullshit though. He was known for going after bullies and if I can almost guarantee that if he was in Vader's shoes for that summerslam match he would have stood up and beat him within an inch of his life right there on PPV. Spivey doesn't get mentioned a lot when people talk about guys who were legit but he was pretty un-fuckwithable. I believe he even fucked up, Adrian Adonis, who had a pretty heavy reputation as a shooter in his own right.

https://youtu.be/yfH3Sx8PIlg

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1463 on: June 15, 2023, 12:57:39 PM »
That rules that Spivey’s character was based on Cape Fear. Love it.

Back to AEW last night; Eddie Kingston return looking like a wasted bouncer & not connecting a single punch. Unbelievably terrible.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1464 on: June 15, 2023, 02:05:34 PM »

Back to AEW last night; Eddie Kingston return looking like a wasted bouncer & not connecting a single punch. Unbelievably terrible.

I love the cape fear thing too, funny that that and the “mercy” are both connected to bray Wyatt now

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1465 on: June 15, 2023, 05:33:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I love the cape fear thing too, funny that that and the “mercy” are both connected to bray Wyatt now

Yeah, I was reading that. I guess Mike Rotunda trained Spivey or worked with him, etc so there’s all that tie into Bray.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #1466 on: June 15, 2023, 10:59:17 PM »
What’s the best wrestling podcast?  I’m mainly looking for good interviews with old school guys…..I checked Jim Cornettes’s and enjoyed it where he just breaks down old cards…..

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1467 on: June 15, 2023, 11:45:09 PM »
What’s the best wrestling podcast?  I’m mainly looking for good interviews with old school guys…..I checked Jim Cornettes’s and enjoyed it where he just breaks down old cards…..

There’s so much Cornette to sift through.   What are good bios he does of older wrestlers?   

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #1468 on: June 16, 2023, 09:53:22 AM »
I agree, that’s why I’m asking…..I kinda gave up but I’m sure there is something decent. On YouTube I check wrestling bios?  It’s not bad. I only have so much space in my feeds and wrestling shit is far down it.  That said I enjoy the Darkside series so I’m thinking I can maybe sneak in a podcast. 

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1469 on: June 16, 2023, 02:27:54 PM »

Unabashed Cornette mark here. Used to listen to it all the time at work before I moved back into an office job but unfortunately I haven't had time to listen to one in a while. I might actually do that tomorrow at some point now haha.

Anyways theres 2 Cornette podcasts...the Experience is the long form, more deep-dive and interview style traditional podcast. Then there's the Drive Thru which is more oriented towards current events and reader questions that prompt Jim to tell old stories and go on rants. I personally prefer the drive thru because I think the off the cuff one liner shit he throws out sometimes is godlike. There's certain things you'll have to tolerate though...hes very opinionated about modern wrestling and most of it isn't a very high opinion, so you have to listen to him whine about the young bucks and Kenny Omega every week amongst the good stuff. He usually has some good points but he's just flat out wrong about a lot of shit, so just take the good and filter the bitching.

Bischoffs podcast is supposed to be good but I haven't listened to it much beyond some YouTube clips. Bruce Prichard and Jim Ross have or had podcasts too but I like them better as guests on other peoples shows than as hosts

You can also look into the shoot interview stuff Sean Oliver did like Kayfabe Commentaries, there's tons of footage of old wrestlers getting drunk/stoned and telling war stories out there.