Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 42726 times)

Mr. Kamikazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1470 on: June 16, 2023, 04:04:26 PM »
I’m about to jump into the Cornette podcasts as I’ve known about them but never committed. Interested to hear him piss on Omega & the Bucks as I think I’ll agree but want to hear more. Not a Bucks fan by any means. I see that Cornette regularly reviews matches, etc so I should tune in.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #1471 on: June 16, 2023, 04:12:50 PM »
@Sativa Lung who were Hulk's boys back stage.  I know Brutus def was and I feel like I've heard B Brian Blair was too.  Do you remember any others?

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1472 on: June 17, 2023, 06:38:50 AM »
Jey Uso super kicking Roman twice ruled. Knew it was coming but excited to see the Usos elevated. Then tuned into Rampage to see Ospreay & Fletcher in action (Jeff Cobb is huge & a better Rhyno). Turned off after that as I’m not staying up late for Jeff Jarrett.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 849
« Reply #1473 on: June 17, 2023, 01:10:25 PM »
The most visible one beyond Ed Leslie is probably Brian Knobs, he's still milking it to this day. Not sure about Blair, but at the time he was in the company I think pretty much everyone was trying to be Hulks boy for political purposes. I honestly don't know much about him personality wise, haven't really cared enough to look either haha.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1474 on: June 17, 2023, 02:43:41 PM »
The most visible one beyond Ed Leslie is probably Brian Knobs, he's still milking it to this day. Not sure about Blair, but at the time he was in the company I think pretty much everyone was trying to be Hulks boy for political purposes. I honestly don't know much about him personality wise, haven't really cared enough to look either haha.

Oh right Brian Knobs.    I remember that.   

Also, have you ever heard of Mr Hughes?   Just saw a glimpse of him this morning in a tag with Vader against Sting and someone else and he looked so fucking cool!

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1475 on: June 17, 2023, 06:25:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also, have you ever heard of Mr Hughes?   Just saw a glimpse of him this morning in a tag with Vader against Sting and someone else and he looked so fucking cool!

Mr. Hughes was the quintessential enforcer. He’s been in every major fed.

Dude wrestled almost identically to Big Boss Man, even used the Boss Man Slam as a finisher (whenever he actually won a match).

I thought he was great as Jericho’s enforcer in WWF back in ‘99.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1476 on: June 17, 2023, 06:27:24 PM »
AEW Collision is actually good.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1477 on: June 17, 2023, 06:42:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Dude wrestled almost identically to Big Boss Man, even used the Boss Man Slam as a finisher (whenever he actually won a match).

Was he really?? I have zero memory of him with Jericho and I was a big Jericho fan then.    Wow.   I was just impressed his glasses stayed on in the clips I saw

http://www.instagram.com/reel/CtmFAJ0AWC-/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==]=http://www.instagram.com/reel/CtmFAJ0AWC-/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==]http://www.instagram.com/reel/CtmFAJ0AWC-/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 07:55:31 PM by Atiba Applebum »

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1478 on: June 17, 2023, 06:57:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Was he really?? I have zero memory of him with Jericho and I was a big Jericho fan then.    Wow.   I was just impressed his glasses stayed on in the clips I saw

http://www.instagram.com/reel/CtmFAJ0AWC-/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1479 on: June 17, 2023, 07:23:13 PM »
AEW Collision is actually good.

Collision was great. Buddy Rogers is sick & I enjoyed Miro’s match. Luchasaurus winning with Cage’s help was predictable but happy to see Wardlow lose the belt once again. Chick Magnet Punk is back…..
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 05:44:36 AM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1480 on: June 18, 2023, 02:05:14 AM »
Pat coming through with the clips as usual.  You rule dude.

Hughes was a football player back in the 80s and was trained by one of the midwest OGs, I think Geigel or Les Thatcher and wrestled for Vern for a little while before going to Atlanta, which is where I first saw him. Then once Vince got ahold of him they gave him the gimmick that I guess was supposed to be a hitman but as a kid I just thought he dressed like a blues brother.

Really athletic and could move for a big man, but as was mentioned he wrestled like a Bossman pallette swap. If he was around nowadays I could see him doing wardlow style step up moonsaults and Keith Lee spots, he had that kind of athleticism but the style was so different back then and his matches could get really plodding and punchy kicky with the wrong opponent. He did look cool as fuck back when he was huge but I saw him at an Indy show like 15 years ago and he was still super tall but is much skinnier now.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1481 on: June 18, 2023, 02:29:46 AM »
Pat coming through with the clips as usual.  You rule dude.

Hughes was a football player back in the 80s and was trained by one of the midwest OGs, I think Geigel or Les Thatcher and wrestled for Vern for a little while before going to Atlanta, which is where I first saw him. Then once Vince got ahold of him they gave him the gimmick that I guess was supposed to be a hitman but as a kid I just thought he dressed like a blues brother.

Really athletic and could move for a big man, but as was mentioned he wrestled like a Bossman pallette swap. If he was around nowadays I could see him doing wardlow style step up moonsaults and Keith Lee spots, he had that kind of athleticism but the style was so different back then and his matches could get really plodding and punchy kicky with the wrong opponent. He did look cool as fuck back when he was huge but I saw him at an Indy show like 15 years ago and he was still super tall but is much skinnier now.

Ahahah yeah I def noticed the Blues Brother thing. 

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1482 on: June 18, 2023, 09:07:35 AM »
Best wrestling Insta page:

@hamandeggers

You won’t be disappointed.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1483 on: June 18, 2023, 11:36:23 AM »
Loved the Andrade / Buddy match, felt like a redo of his debut and the crowd was appropriately hot for him.   Like the idea of him going against Malachi, but curious if building a stable around Andrade is the way they’re going so he competes for Trios.   Can’t keep track of all the lucha alliances in AEW at the moment and Bandido is out injured

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1484 on: June 18, 2023, 12:46:36 PM »

@hamandeggers

A great page indeed.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1485 on: June 18, 2023, 12:49:02 PM »
Loved the Andrade / Buddy match, felt like a redo of his debut and the crowd was appropriately hot for him.   Like the idea of him going against Malachi, but curious if building a stable around Andrade is the way they’re going so he competes for Trios.   Can’t keep track of all the lucha alliances in AEW at the moment and Bandido is out injured

Solid match for sure. The crowd was into it for sure. I’m definitely stoked on Saturday night wrestling, I’m just afraid that momentum is not there. That’s a tall order to have a Saturday night viewership that is high & consistent.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1486 on: June 18, 2023, 04:18:39 PM »

@hamandeggers

I did ok until I got to Jason Speed then I just lost it. Wrestling is the best hahaha.

There's a bit of overlap here with a YouTube channel I'm subbed to that's just like hour long compilations of all the old 80s fed jobbers. I thought it was one of "those" channels at first but then the guy started getting Mario Mancini to do intros and talk about the other jobbers so I think he really just likes jobbers a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/@jobguy2351

Didn't watch collision yet but I probably will at some point just for wardlow and luchasaurus.. I do love a hoss fest. Didn't realize Andrade was back but he is absolutely bonkers good in ring so I want to see him and swerve in a program ASAP. Both guys are naturals who make everything look good. Fuck it, put them in a heel team and have a feud with the lucha bros and inject it in my brain.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #1487 on: June 19, 2023, 05:45:51 PM »
I listened to a couple of Chris Jericho's on Stampede stuff, I liked it, not bad.  I'll revisit Cornette's as well.  The shit is all still pretty fascinating to me, the roll of the booker, how much everyone got paid, the deals that were made. 

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1488 on: June 19, 2023, 11:54:46 PM »
I listened to a couple of Chris Jericho's on Stampede stuff, I liked it, not bad.  I'll revisit Cornette's as well.  The shit is all still pretty fascinating to me, the roll of the booker, how much everyone got paid, the deals that were made.

I just saw Jim Ross released a new one called The Dark Side of Midsouth. Im gonna listen to it when I get a chance. Apparently there's stories of back when he first broke in as Watts' right hand man and old blind Leroy McGuirk was still around. I guess JR owns a pot farm and is opening a dispensary (like every other person in Oklahoma) nowadays. I don't typically love the Conrad podcasts but I really enjoyed the Bruce Pritchard Houston wrestling episode so hopefully it's similar.

Watched the end of dynamite, Eddie looks awful and I wish he would stop caring so much about not caring and drag his ass to a gym because he genuinely looks like he's at risk of a heart attack. How can you take a guy like that seriously? He looked like someone's create a wrestler in a wrestling game cutscene. The continuous run ins were a little hokey but I did like them making Ospreay look like the final boss. Hope he actually beats Kenny, that might elevate him to legit main event status.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1489 on: June 20, 2023, 01:56:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just saw Jim Ross released a new one called The Dark Side of Midsouth. Im gonna listen to it when I get a chance. Apparently there's stories of back when he first broke in as Watts' right hand man and old blind Leroy McGuirk was still around. I guess JR owns a pot farm and is opening a dispensary (like every other person in Oklahoma) nowadays. I don't typically love the Conrad podcasts but I really enjoyed the Bruce Pritchard Houston wrestling episode so hopefully it's similar.

Watched the end of dynamite, Eddie looks awful and I wish he would stop caring so much about not caring and drag his ass to a gym because he genuinely looks like he's at risk of a heart attack. How can you take a guy like that seriously? He looked like someone's create a wrestler in a wrestling game cutscene. The continuous run ins were a little hokey but I did like them making Ospreay look like the final boss. Hope he actually beats Kenny, that might elevate him to legit main event status.

He will DEF beat Omega.   You know they're going to do a best of 3.

Agree a little with Eddie.  I think conditioning is worse than usual bc he was just injured.

Suzuki is back on Dynamite this week

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1490 on: June 21, 2023, 01:02:08 AM »
Catching a clip of Kota and Rey Misterio sharing a ring at All In reminds me of another reason to hate Dominik: Rey only signed with WWE to secure his son a job.   There were so many cool opportunities for matches Rey could have had in those first few years at AEW

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1491 on: June 21, 2023, 07:38:50 PM »
Apparently KENTA was supposed to run in at the end of the first ep of Collision

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #1492 on: June 22, 2023, 06:15:56 AM »
this might be the most insane card i've seen since the attitude era
https://nodq.com/news/full-card-for-the-2023-aew-and-njpw-forbidden-door-ppv-event/
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1493 on: June 22, 2023, 06:48:30 AM »
I would’ve wanted Punk Vs Kenta, but Kojima should be good.

I hope Sting and Darby’s mystery partner isn’t Goldberg.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1494 on: June 23, 2023, 08:37:59 AM »

This is immediately what I thought. Let’s just call it.

Also @busey Doink episode ruled. Had no idea about how physically aggressive he was. The story about him attacking Blair three times at the bar was wild.

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #1495 on: June 23, 2023, 12:59:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Also @busey Doink episode ruled. Had no idea about how physically aggressive he was. The story about him attacking Blair three times at the bar was wild.
thanks man! appreciate you checking it out and the kind words.

that bar fight lol we had to leave some details out but at one point matt was on the ground and was crawling after blair that he described 'like a crocodile'. ric flair says it's the best bar fight he's ever seen

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1496 on: June 23, 2023, 06:33:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

that bar fight lol we had to leave some details out but at one point matt was on the ground and was crawling after blair that he described 'like a crocodile'. ric flair says it's the best bar fight he's ever seen

That’s wild. I also had no clue he was a second generation wrestler. I do remember being a kid & the owner this wrestling store I would go to told me that “the original Doink is a drug addict” & not knowing much. Come to find out as I kept going that Doink was played by several people. I do have a Doink figure that my grandparents got me & definitely was so excited when you could be home in Wrestlemania on PS 1. Again, well done, very thorough & appreciate the work that had to go into making it cohesive @busey

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1497 on: June 23, 2023, 06:41:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s wild. I also had no clue he was a second generation wrestler. I do remember being a kid & the owner this wrestling store I would go to told me that “the original Doink is a drug addict” & not knowing much. Come to find out as I kept going that Doink was played by several people. I do have a Doink figure that my grandparents got me & definitely was so excited when you could be home in Wrestlemania on PS 1. Again, well done, very thorough & appreciate the work that had to go into making it cohesive @busey

Were some of the sketchier stories about Borne (heard something about kidnapping a minor?) cut for time, content, or because the you had the family there?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1498 on: June 23, 2023, 08:09:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think it’s KUSHIDA

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #1499 on: June 24, 2023, 06:07:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Were some of the sketchier stories about Borne (heard something about kidnapping a minor?) cut for time, content, or because the you had the family there?
that's a good question. i had obviously heard the rumours and looked into it but there was nothing concrete enough that would make me want to proceed with it. in this situation, his criminal record didn't have anything that indicated that the claims i heard were true. if it ended up that the rumours were 100% fact, i think it would absolutely have to be included in the episode.