Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 43047 times)

SHAQUEEFA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1500 on: June 24, 2023, 01:46:51 PM »
Next season I want an episode about the family that won the house on the original "In Your House" PPV.

Not sure if anything sketchy happened with them, but I'm sure there is a story somewhere.

We're also gonna need a Jeff Hardy episode but I have a feeling that story isn't done yet.

McMahon sexcapades will need to happen eventually.

Great job on the first few episodes. I haven't seen the Graham or Doink episodes yet but very much look forward to catching up.

Also, @busey, did we meet at a Vans Park Series event once through O'Dell? I remember having a great convo with someone from the show while season 1 was still airing.

Just an idea here. Since you guys spawned the "Dark Side" gimmick, why not do a "Dark Side of Skateboarding."

Season 1 -  Antwuan Dixon
                 Bam
                 The Danny Way Incident
                 Hosoi
                 Gator
                 Terry Kennedy
                 Rob Loriface
                 Whichever Pappas brother ended up floating up on the beach.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #1501 on: June 24, 2023, 04:26:04 PM »
Oh and anyone curious about the Cornette podcast stuff. Even if you don't agree with the guy's views, he is fucking hilarious and I highly recommend giving any of it a listen. His watchalongs with 90's PPV's are really good and full of obscure stories you probably haven't heard.

I like to compare him to Phil Hellmuth. No matter how you feel about the guy and his antics, there is no arguing that he has the knowledge, credibility, and the pedigree to feel however he wants about his sport and it is a very valid opinion.

Even when he shits on the stuff that I like, he does it in such a funny way and he can break down his exact reasoning and logic behind his opinions.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1502 on: June 24, 2023, 06:10:14 PM »
Oh and anyone curious about the Cornette podcast stuff. Even if you don't agree with the guy's views, he is fucking hilarious and I highly recommend giving any of it a listen. His watchalongs with 90's PPV's are really good and full of obscure stories you probably haven't heard.

I like to compare him to Phil Hellmuth. No matter how you feel about the guy and his antics, there is no arguing that he has the knowledge, credibility, and the pedigree to feel however he wants about his sport and it is a very valid opinion.

Even when he shits on the stuff that I like, he does it in such a funny way and he can break down his exact reasoning and logic behind his opinions.

I’m not familiar with the podcast but I have read his various stances on wrestling & much like you, I’ve always known it’s coming from a place of pure knowledge, experience & clearly lives for wrestling. Plus I know he’s extremely liberal which is beyond cool.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #1503 on: June 24, 2023, 08:43:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m not familiar with the podcast but I have read his various stances on wrestling & much like you, I’ve always known it’s coming from a place of pure knowledge, experience & clearly lives for wrestling. Plus I know he’s extremely liberal which is beyond cool.

Yeah I’m always surprised by his political views considering geographically and occupationally where he comes from. 

I don’t bother with his modern stuff bc I don’t care that much that the Young Bucks weren’t shooters like Harley Race and aren’t as believably tough.   It’s like an NBA historian complaining about slam dunks, but I get it, it’s business and that’s his character and he’s going to keep kayfabe.

I just hate Cornys idiot fans who are too dumb to know JC says Kenny Olivier (as in Lawrence Olivier the actor) and instead call him Kenny Olivia - which I’ve seen comments of far too many times

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1504 on: June 25, 2023, 02:52:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I would’ve wanted Punk Vs Kenta, but Kojima should be good.

I hope Sting and Darby’s mystery partner isn’t Goldberg.
[close]

This is immediately what I thought. Let’s just call it.

Also @busey Doink episode ruled. Had no idea about how physically aggressive he was. The story about him attacking Blair three times at the bar was wild.
[close]

I think it’s KUSHIDA

Well well well.  It’s Naito!

Where did the Goldberg idea come from?   If they ever do go there, that’s gotta be more of a Wembley/Grand Slam move, but I wonder if he’s too Sports Entertainy for AEW fans to actually like.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 845
« Reply #1505 on: June 25, 2023, 03:25:30 AM »
Corny is a know it all asshole, but that carries a bit more weight when you actually do at least know most of it. I'm not lockstep with him on his modern wrestling opinions but I do think his criticism is generally warranted, albeit over the top. SMW was pretty average as far as territories go so I don't think he's some kind of booking savant ala Paul E or Gary Hart or anything but more often than not when he proposed his alternate booking plans I agree they'd be better. Sometimes he is just a hatin ass old man but I agree that the overall trend of cramming in high spots and seemingly not even trying to make it look real or tell a story anymore is lame, and that's kind of the foundation most of his criticism rests on.

I also think he's very worthy of consideration for best manager of all time. Obviously everyone is a little biased towards the era they became a fan in, but I legit don't know if I've ever seen anyone - including the actual wrestlers - get the kind of heat Cornette used to on a nightly basis. The wrestling snob part of me wants to give it Heenan because I think he was a little better on the mic and was amazing at taking bumps, but it's hard to argue against the sheer intensity of Corny hate. He could play a crowd like nothing I've seen before or since. Dude was a natural too.. even in the very earliest stuff he did with Lawler in Memphis he's sharp as a tack.

I want to watch FD but I have to do a bunch of shit today and go in to work early tomorrow so I don't know if I'll be able to stay up. Last one I didn't expect to watch the whole thing either but ended up loving it, so who knows. I did put on my preorder for the game though...anyone else on Xbox series?

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1506 on: June 25, 2023, 06:57:10 AM »
Next season I want an episode about the family that won the house on the original "In Your House" PPV.

Not sure if anything sketchy happened with them, but I'm sure there is a story somewhere.

We're also gonna need a Jeff Hardy episode but I have a feeling that story isn't done yet.

McMahon sexcapades will need to happen eventually.

Great job on the first few episodes. I haven't seen the Graham or Doink episodes yet but very much look forward to catching up.

Also, @busey, did we meet at a Vans Park Series event once through O'Dell? I remember having a great convo with someone from the show while season 1 was still airing.

Just an idea here. Since you guys spawned the "Dark Side" gimmick, why not do a "Dark Side of Skateboarding."

Season 1 -  Antwuan Dixon
                 Bam
                 The Danny Way Incident
                 Hosoi
                 Gator
                 Terry Kennedy
                 Rob Loriface
                 Whichever Pappas brother ended up floating up on the beach.

no unfortunately not. but if you're ever in toronto come say hello!

i think it's a great idea, i just have no idea if they're making any more shows with their recent bankruptcy. their tv content strategy seems to be "dark side of (fill in subject here)" so a skateboarding one seems inevitable if they can pull it together, which i hope they do.
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -213
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1507 on: June 25, 2023, 03:28:13 PM »
Who else is catching Forbidden Door?
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1508 on: June 25, 2023, 06:21:03 PM »
JACK PERRY HEEL TURN!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1509 on: June 25, 2023, 07:14:39 PM »
Gotta love MJFs entrance gear had “New Japan is an Indie” on the back

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1510 on: June 25, 2023, 09:08:47 PM »
Didn't catch all of it but I watched most of the big matches.

Ospreay vs Omega fuckin ruled although I kinda wish they had gone longer between the big false finish and the actual finish. I get what they were going for, it just wasn't quite ideal. I popped hard for the one count spot.

Suzuki is the king. Him and Jericho need a buddy comedy. Really scared that Sammy fucked Sting up with his stupid flippy shit, he's lucky that's the head that once took a full force bat shot in TNA and didn't even flinch. Hilarious how much bigger he is than everyone else too since I never really considered him a big guy.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1511 on: June 25, 2023, 09:51:26 PM »
Final Countdown for BD!   Loving that AEW is starting to really up their look to make themselves look like a big deal.  WWE mastered that “feel”

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1512 on: June 26, 2023, 03:24:19 AM »
They're saying the weird seizure spot was to cover up Danielson breaking his arm but I don't know, I feel like he's been milking the neck injury in a borderline poor taste way basically ever since he came back and does it so often that I feel like it was supposed to happen at some point. Always annoyed me when him and Paige do that shit and the irony is that when those kinds of injuries do actually happen they don't make me more invested in the match or feud, they make me not want to watch or think about wrestling. The match was still good although obviously the finish was pretty flat.

Woke up with a headache so if it doesn't go away after I drink my coffee I might take the day off and watch the rest of FD. If anyone comes across a gif of MJF doing the air guitar thing can you send it my way, that might have to be a new signature haha

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1513 on: June 26, 2023, 04:32:04 AM »
They're saying the weird seizure spot was to cover up Danielson breaking his arm but I don't know, I feel like he's been milking the neck injury in a borderline poor taste way basically ever since he came back and does it so often that I feel like it was supposed to happen at some point. Always annoyed me when him and Paige do that shit and the irony is that when those kinds of injuries do actually happen they don't make me more invested in the match or feud, they make me not want to watch or think about wrestling. The match was still good although obviously the finish was pretty flat.

Woke up with a headache so if it doesn't go away after I drink my coffee I might take the day off and watch the rest of FD. If anyone comes across a gif of MJF doing the air guitar thing can you send it my way, that might have to be a new signature haha

Garcia coming out looking like Fandango and doing that dance at random times in the match got me. One of my favorite dudes on the roster.

ZSJ was definitely hamming it up for a comedy match.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #1514 on: June 27, 2023, 04:12:30 AM »

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1515 on: June 27, 2023, 04:31:25 AM »

Should just be Palace X Mick Foley. So much potential with the Attitude Era missed.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1516 on: June 27, 2023, 06:17:04 AM »
Very In Your House vibes.  Also, it’s very lazy and I hate it.   

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1517 on: June 27, 2023, 08:02:07 AM »

My local immediately dmd me. Hard pass. The only wrestling shirt I would wear is an Imperium one & NWO.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1518 on: June 28, 2023, 11:15:51 PM »
Man you know you're struggling when you put out a shittier wrestling collab than Enjoi (I did like most of theirs though). I thought palace was supposed to be cool. Hopefully mick gets some coin out of it but I would not be surprised to hear that Vince fucked him out of royalties somehow.

I would be selective about wrestling apparel too. As much as I love it and have met a bunch of cool people around it (including people in this thread), the last thing I want to signal to the public is that I watch wrestling. That's just inviting some really awkward interactions that I have no desire to partake in. I would maybe wear a Dalton Castle shirt though. I would 100% buy and wear an MJF pro model scarf.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #1519 on: June 29, 2023, 05:32:49 AM »
Man, I gotta say that probably half of my regular shirt rotation is wrestling shirts. I love Mick, but this collab is WHACK AS FUCK. It looks like they didn't even try. "Have a Palace Day???" Come the fuck on.

You know when you are a wrestling fan and any wrestling news hits and 10 different people send you the link like you haven't already seen it? Yeah, this was that link yesterday.

A coworker actually brought it up in a meeting yesterday and asked me what I thought and my response was "Its corny as fuck."

I liked the Enjoi boards.

Anybody here by chance have the old War Effort Collabs? I guarantee they were not approved by WWE, but Shepherd Fairey did the art and if i remember correctly, they did Rock, Mankind, Undertaker, and Kane.

Forbidden Door was pretty awesome I thought. It's just hard because some of the matches are just randomly thrown together for no reason so a proper build is hard.

I thought Kenny might have broke his neck. That match was great and I'm glad they had Will go over somewhat clean.

It was also pretty cool to see these dudes in a big PPV after I saw them wrestle 5 feet away from me in a smaller Japanese venue.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1520 on: June 29, 2023, 06:19:23 AM »
Man, I gotta say that probably half of my regular shirt rotation is wrestling shirts. I love Mick, but this collab is WHACK AS FUCK. It looks like they didn't even try. "Have a Palace Day???" Come the fuck on.

You know when you are a wrestling fan and any wrestling news hits and 10 different people send you the link like you haven't already seen it? Yeah, this was that link yesterday.

A coworker actually brought it up in a meeting yesterday and asked me what I thought and my response was "Its corny as fuck."

I liked the Enjoi boards.

Anybody here by chance have the old War Effort Collabs? I guarantee they were not approved by WWE, but Shepherd Fairey did the art and if i remember correctly, they did Rock, Mankind, Undertaker, and Kane.

Forbidden Door was pretty awesome I thought. It's just hard because some of the matches are just randomly thrown together for no reason so a proper build is hard.

I thought Kenny might have broke his neck. That match was great and I'm glad they had Will go over somewhat clean.

It was also pretty cool to see these dudes in a big PPV after I saw them wrestle 5 feet away from me in a smaller Japanese venue.

I remember the War Effort decks. They came out when I was a freshman in college and looked pretty good. I just remember Joey Pulsifer had the Mankind deck.

My favorite wrestling graphic was the Alltimers with the LJN figures on it. I slept on that one and regret it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #1521 on: June 29, 2023, 07:23:06 AM »
Yah that one was sick…..I remember kids were tripping how knew every wrestler, their finishing maneuvers were and I could do impressions of most of them. 

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1522 on: June 29, 2023, 07:49:28 PM »
Man you know you're struggling when you put out a shittier wrestling collab than Enjoi (I did like most of theirs though). I thought palace was supposed to be cool. Hopefully mick gets some coin out of it but I would not be surprised to hear that Vince fucked him out of royalties somehow.

I would be selective about wrestling apparel too. As much as I love it and have met a bunch of cool people around it (including people in this thread), the last thing I want to signal to the public is that I watch wrestling. That's just inviting some really awkward interactions that I have no desire to partake in. I would maybe wear a Dalton Castle shirt though. I would 100% buy and wear an MJF pro model scarf.

A scarf would be grand. You catch Dynamite last night? Sting….. could have been seriously hurt after a table botch. A constant gripe with AEW is the lack of follow up after a PPV too.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1523 on: June 29, 2023, 08:15:03 PM »
I’ve heard the AEW video game is a good time.

I think Jack Perry’s heel turn will be good for him.   Seems a wee bit better on the mic, but once I thought about him being Walt Jr asking to be Flynn, it killed it a bit for me.   

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1524 on: June 30, 2023, 12:51:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A scarf would be grand. You catch Dynamite last night? Sting….. could have been seriously hurt after a table botch. A constant gripe with AEW is the lack of follow up after a PPV too.

I didn't watch dynamite but I watched the highlights. I don't get why they did the 2 tables...that's like the third high profile table botch I've seen on dynamite directly caused by them setting the tables up wrong. They should hire D-Von Dudley to come out and set the damn tables up before every match.

I didn't stress about it though. It's Sting. Wrestlers from the 80s are just built different. Same thing with the unprotected bat shot from Angle in TNA, he just ate it and finished the match.

The game is pretty fun but it feels really underdeveloped for a modern title. The CAW and game modes are half baked (is there even a cage match option? I couldn't find one) and it feels like they kinda spent all their XP on the core gameplay. The wrestling itself is fantastic though, literally no mercy 2023 right down to the control scheme. My main problem so far is that somehow 25 year old muscle memory kicked in and I keep reverting to the d pad instead of the stick.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1525 on: June 30, 2023, 02:46:22 AM »
Maybe that was a budget issue?   I feel like it’s a proof of concept almost to do up the sequel really grand now that they have the base to work off of.   The No Mercy stuff they promised works and people are stoked on it.  I think that’s ultimately a win for them

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1526 on: June 30, 2023, 09:13:41 AM »
Not sure, I think yukes has a reputation for being serial deadline missers and taking longer than expected with their development but so does like 90% of the studios out there

There's potential and a solid base to build on, it's just really really short on content so the replayability at the moment is questionable unless you have a sibling or roomie to play it with. After you beat RTE (which takes a bit and I'm nowhere near done with) there just isn't a lot to do and as far as I can tell even with that the story is the same  for everyone - even no mercy/wm2k had like 5 belts you could go after with different storylines. Also the menu/turn system in RTE is really repetitive and the initial charm wears off fast...add to that the fact that some of the mini games are straight bullshit (I lost one because I didn't know how many matches Anna Jay wrestled before signing with AEW) and I almost rage quit of the menus multiple times. The models look decent but the renders are hilariously bad, Jericho is fat and crosseyed and easily 80% of them look like they have an extra chromosome. Dustin is probably the best looking one.

Im hopeful they can iron it out because the bones of the best wrestling game in decades are there...it's just kind of a kick in the grapes to pay $80 for an unfinished game after waiting so long.

At the moment it's like a car with an incredible engine but the interior of a 2001 Elantra.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1527 on: June 30, 2023, 11:16:57 AM »

DOPE

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #1528 on: June 30, 2023, 02:11:15 PM »
RIP DROZ

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1529 on: June 30, 2023, 02:16:23 PM »
RIP DROZ

I met Droz in OCNJ when I was 14. Really nice guy.