Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 10659 times)

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #720 on: September 22, 2022, 12:07:59 PM »
Iíve seen the Rampage spoilers.   There is at least one thing that I think will go over huge that is completely unexpected (and I donít think it will spoil anything by mentioning itís existence)

Luigi Primo is the Joker and wins the battle royal?

https://youtu.be/5QbTrWqth-k

Buttfart Rapedick

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 606
« Reply #721 on: September 23, 2022, 02:04:20 AM »
Iíve seen the Rampage spoilers.   There is at least one thing that I think will go over huge that is completely unexpected (and I donít think it will spoil anything by mentioning itís existence)

I unfortunately stumbled across it on Twitter earlier. I made it a point not to watch the video they had posted though so even though I know what's going to happen it's still going to be insane. It's definitely going to go over huge and I highly recommend @SHAQUEEFA watch rampage tomorrow. Honestly I think they should have put it on Dynamite, that match was worthy of it to begin with.

I forgot to mention when you asked about promos, did you show them any Foley stuff? Aside from the famous 3 faces of Foley storyline and the JR interviews there's some really good rambling psych heavy cactus jack ones from WCW and ECW. Like Jake's stuff he was a little ahead of his time and the crowds didn't always know how to respond (especially in WCW) but it stands up well today. "Cane Dewey" is probably the most notable ECW Foley promo but I'm not sure if I would call it the best. It's pretty good though, and him working his actually leaving for the WWF into the storyline was pretty ground-breaking at the time so it's important within that context too.

Expand Quote
[close]

Luigi Primo is the Joker and wins the battle royal?

Haha please God no.

As much as I appreciate some good old purist-enraging comedy bullshit wrestling, I actually watched a couple Luigi Primo matches and he's the shits. It's a reasonably funny gimmick at first but it's pretty limited and he's a worse worker than Danhausen. Straight backyard trampoline wrestling level.

I think the reason stuff like chikara and PWG was so good is that the guys under the masks and facepaint playing the ridiculous characters could all go... A lot of them went on to be integral parts of NXT & AEW... OC, Uno, Kingston, Cabana, Claudio, Gulak, 2.0, Chuck Taylor, Gargano, the Bucks etc all came from that scene. It was basically the shit we're watching on the midcard these days, except with more comedy and shtick. Luigi Primo is the comedy without the talent haha.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #722 on: September 23, 2022, 05:58:31 AM »

I was genuinely surprised Mox won just because of the vacation thing, but maybe that was a work too? Or maybe they want to basically erase Punk's win and will never talk about it again.

Probably because they didn't want BD's first reign to be transitional since MJF is likely winning it at Full Gear. The vacation was probably real but then they were like "hey, we could do with you being the top guy of the company for a while" and he figured it could wait.

Anyone see the Luigi Primo AMA on Reddit? Someone caught on that he was an antivaxxer and the whole thing fell to pieces haha. I think it's still pinned at the top of the sub
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #723 on: September 23, 2022, 06:29:15 AM »
Expand Quote

I was genuinely surprised Mox won just because of the vacation thing, but maybe that was a work too? Or maybe they want to basically erase Punk's win and will never talk about it again.

[close]

Probably because they didn't want BD's first reign to be transitional since MJF is likely winning it at Full Gear. The vacation was probably real but then they were like "hey, we could do with you being the top guy of the company for a while" and he figured it could wait.

Anyone see the Luigi Primo AMA on Reddit? Someone caught on that he was an antivaxxer and the whole thing fell to pieces haha. I think it's still pinned at the top of the sub

I missed that, but I saw Cornetteís rant on him and am convinced the whole gimmick was created for that purpose alone.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #724 on: September 23, 2022, 06:30:51 AM »
I really hope Karrion Kross and Scarlet become the live Rambling Rabbit and Abby the Witch for Bray Wyattís Fun House.

Iím marking out the moment Brayís kid show theme first hits again.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #725 on: September 23, 2022, 12:26:21 PM »
Iím looking forward the new Dark Side of the Ring show based on territory days.  First Ep is on Memphis and one of the things theyíre covering is the Jos LeDuq promo where he cuts himself open with his axe

Buttfart Rapedick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #726 on: September 23, 2022, 06:08:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I missed that, but I saw Cornetteís rant on him and am convinced the whole gimmick was created for that purpose alone.

I listened to the first part of it but got interrupted before I finished it. I enjoy hearing him go nuts on guys like that partially so I can read all the fans with anime profile pictures who have been watching for 6 months try to tell a guy who has done everything there is to do in the business for the last 40 years how they know better than him. I hesitate to even call them marks.. They're like unter marks.

I remember back when Cornette first found out about Danhausen and they asked if he wanted to see one of his matches and Corny was like "hell no, I like this guy and want to keep it that way" hahaha.

That AMA is kind of telling hahaha. Apparently he's not only an antivax dipshit but also too much of a bitch to admit it even when he's putting others in danger. Hopefully that's enough for reddit to cancel him so I don't have to ever see him or his fake pizza dough ever again.

Pretty stoked for grand slampage tonight. Even though I know the "big" spoiler I don't remember seeing much else so it should mostly be fresh to me. At the risk of mildly spoiling it, if you're around my age (and I think most of us are relatively close) then you're probably going to really enjoy this episode.

Iím looking forward the new Dark Side of the Ring show based on territory days.  First Ep is on Memphis and one of the things theyíre covering is the Jos LeDuq promo where he cuts himself open with his axe

Oh shit when does it come out? That's so far up my alley I can taste it. Jos Leduc stories are always awesome, he was basically tailor made for southern rasslin crowds so I can't wait to see the exposition part of the program. I feel like 1970's stampede had to be insanity because it seems like everyone that came out of there had a screw loose.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #727 on: September 23, 2022, 07:00:39 PM »
Oct 4 I believe

Buttfart Rapedick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #728 on: September 23, 2022, 07:05:18 PM »
Oct 4 I believe

Thanks, you're the man Atiba. Hope you're watching cuz they're starting it off with the big spot haha.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #729 on: September 23, 2022, 08:00:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Oct 4 I believe
[close]

Thanks, you're the man Atiba. Hope you're watching cuz they're starting it off with the big spot haha.

Iím gonna catch the replay.  Iím west coast.  I usually watch it on east coast time, but I was out tonight. 

Iím pumped for this territory show.   Iím working on something (in addition) thatís based around the time wwf was buying up promotions and killing the territory era (whilst feeding all their top stars to hogan and killing their credibility)

Buttfart Rapedick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #730 on: September 24, 2022, 07:45:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oct 4 I believe
[close]

[close]

Iím gonna catch the replay.  Iím west coast.  I usually watch it on east coast time, but I was out tonight. 

Iím pumped for this territory show.   Iím working on something (in addition) thatís based around the time wwf was buying up promotions and killing the territory era (whilst feeding all their top stars to hogan and killing their credibility)

I wrote a whole recap up and then forgot to submit it and closed the window haha. Cliffs notes - Sting and Muta are fuckin awesome. Hungle Boy and Fenix stole the show as usual. Jade is really good. Action Bronson was great and his powerslam was beautiful. Hobbs is a fucking stud. Dalton Castle needs to be on TV more.

I'm stoked for that show too. I was actually thinking about Vince's empire building era the other day. Apparently the NWA was going to put a hit out on him at one point but not everyone was on board haha. Anyways, one of the things that I think gets glossed over about the rise of the WWF is how influential the AWA was in defining that era. Obviously we all know that Verne and the AWA actually created the Hulk Hogan character that would change wrestling, but they also got a lot of other influential talent from there and stole a lot of their booking ideas as well. Sherri, Sgt. Slaughter, Heenan, Jesse the Body, Mean Gene, Adrian Adonis, the killer B's, the Rockers, Lord Alfred, Mr. Perfect, and basically their entire original women's division were all lifted straight from the AWA and most of them barely even changed their gimmick. They were also super influential in the southern territories but it felt a lot less predatory.

I see parallels with 90s ECW in some ways... Vince basically used them as a farm team, but unlike ECW they weren't secretly cooperating and profiting from it. I don't think the AWA was necessarily ahead of its time in terms of the booking (they definitely tried some wacky shit at certain points though) but they seemed to have the same sort of innate ability to always find or develop new talent.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #731 on: September 24, 2022, 05:23:36 PM »
Rampage was tight this week! Jungle Boy/Rey Fenix and Hobbs/Starks were both exceptionally good and I thought everything else was great too. AEWís homegrown stars are holding it down just fine without Punk, Bucks, Omega, Cody, etc.

The Jericho win was a surprise but honestly pretty exciting. I know that there have been reports of AEW launching a third show, which I assumed would be an ROH reboot, and maybe theyíre setting up Jericho as their inaugural villain to take the ďhonorĒ back from.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #732 on: September 24, 2022, 05:56:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oct 4 I believe
[close]

[close]

[close]

I wrote a whole recap up and then forgot to submit it and closed the window haha. Cliffs notes - Sting and Muta are fuckin awesome. Hungle Boy and Fenix stole the show as usual. Jade is really good. Action Bronson was great and his powerslam was beautiful. Hobbs is a fucking stud. Dalton Castle needs to be on TV more.

I'm stoked for that show too. I was actually thinking about Vince's empire building era the other day. Apparently the NWA was going to put a hit out on him at one point but not everyone was on board haha. Anyways, one of the things that I think gets glossed over about the rise of the WWF is how influential the AWA was in defining that era. Obviously we all know that Verne and the AWA actually created the Hulk Hogan character that would change wrestling, but they also got a lot of other influential talent from there and stole a lot of their booking ideas as well. Sherri, Sgt. Slaughter, Heenan, Jesse the Body, Mean Gene, Adrian Adonis, the killer B's, the Rockers, Lord Alfred, Mr. Perfect, and basically their entire original women's division were all lifted straight from the AWA and most of them barely even changed their gimmick. They were also super influential in the southern territories but it felt a lot less predatory.

I see parallels with 90s ECW in some ways... Vince basically used them as a farm team, but unlike ECW they weren't secretly cooperating and profiting from it. I don't think the AWA was necessarily ahead of its time in terms of the booking (they definitely tried some wacky shit at certain points though) but they seemed to have the same sort of innate ability to always find or develop new talent.

Any recs (books, docs, YouTube vids) for a deeper dive in the AwA?

Buttfart Rapedick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #733 on: Today at 07:21:38 AM »

OWD did a good episode on them where they summarize the whole run but definitely touch heavily on the period you're interested in.

https://youtu.be/tk00NYnYeno

I haven't read any of the books but I would assume any of the Hogan and Verne ones (that aren't puff pieces) would touch on at least the loss of Hogan and perhaps the subsequent talent exodus. The WWE put out one of those nostalgia documentaries that they were pumping out a few years ago too, but I'm not sure how objective it is or how deep it goes.

It's interesting too that after Vince raided Verne, Crockett and the other territories still big enough to compete spent the rest of the decade picking the bones and got a lot of talent there as well... The road warriors (and all the other Minnesota monsters like Nikita) being the first names that come to mind but there's plenty of others. I think Rick Steiner got started there and then went to Watts where he got brought into the fold when Crockett took over and Scott came onboard, so I suppose you can trace the Steiners back there as well if you're generous with your definitions.

I haven't actually watched a ton of AWA other than the supercards so I'm far from an expert, it's just one of those things I've picked up on from listening to territory based podcasts and going "wow that dude started in the AWA too?"

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #734 on: Today at 10:40:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

OWD did a good episode on them where they summarize the whole run but definitely touch heavily on the period you're interested in.

https://youtu.be/tk00NYnYeno

I haven't read any of the books but I would assume any of the Hogan and Verne ones (that aren't puff pieces) would touch on at least the loss of Hogan and perhaps the subsequent talent exodus. The WWE put out one of those nostalgia documentaries that they were pumping out a few years ago too, but I'm not sure how objective it is or how deep it goes.

It's interesting too that after Vince raided Verne, Crockett and the other territories still big enough to compete spent the rest of the decade picking the bones and got a lot of talent there as well... The road warriors (and all the other Minnesota monsters like Nikita) being the first names that come to mind but there's plenty of others. I think Rick Steiner got started there and then went to Watts where he got brought into the fold when Crockett took over and Scott came onboard, so I suppose you can trace the Steiners back there as well if you're generous with your definitions.

I haven't actually watched a ton of AWA other than the supercards so I'm far from an expert, it's just one of those things I've picked up on from listening to territory based podcasts and going "wow that dude started in the AWA too?"

I believe you can access all types of episodes from the territories (including AWA) with WWE Network.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #735 on: Today at 02:45:04 PM »
Thanks guys!    Glad to see Peacock is finally importing all the WWE network stuff over.