Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 42166 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #990 on: December 30, 2022, 06:41:14 PM »
14 time champ Charlotte Flair heard us talking about protected wrestlers

Rusty Shackleford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #991 on: December 30, 2022, 07:00:57 PM »
hey yo found a nice merch site
stashpages.us

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #992 on: December 30, 2022, 07:40:28 PM »
hey yo found a nice merch site
stashpages.us

Looks like I’ll be spending $60 on a teddy bear Sabu when I get paid.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #993 on: December 30, 2022, 10:53:44 PM »
Haven't consistently been following wrasslin' at all in recent time, but I still enjoy good promo work. I saw this Drew Vs Owens bit from a few months ago that was classic! Two competing viewpoints of self-worth, segueing into a match.

I've heard people say that wwe got better after Vince left, but not so sure how true that is.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #994 on: December 30, 2022, 11:04:27 PM »
Haven't consistently been following wrasslin' at all in recent time, but I still enjoy good promo work. I saw this Drew Vs Owens bit from a few months ago that was classic! Two competing viewpoints of self-worth, segueing into a match.

I've heard people say that wwe got better after Vince left, but not so sure how true that is.

It’d be hard to get worse

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
« Reply #995 on: December 31, 2022, 11:59:19 PM »
https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/former-tnaimpact-announcer-don-west-passes-away

RIP Don West

Aww that sucks. I always liked DW. He wasn't what I would call great in the classic sense like JR or Solie, but he was great at being the enthusiastic and irreverent guy that adds some personality to a booth. Kinda like what Tony does for AEW now. I didn't watch a ton of TNA but when I did I always thought Tenay and DW were quite sharp. Bringing in Don might have been the best thing Russo ever did for TNA now that I think about it.

Currently watching some classic Florida Sullivan stuff. Some YouTube hero uploaded like 4 hours of video showing his entire prince of darkness storyline. Nancy was SO fucking hot back then and young Luna was amazing too. The promos are the funniest shit too.. This 5'6" muscle head with a thick New England accent babbling about cosmic cookies and hypnosis while everyone around him acts like they've lost their mind.

Same guy uploaded a bunch of other good stuff I need to watch too... A wwc Abdullah tape, the NWA/CWF battle of the belts shows, he's even got a British best of ITV wrestling. I love finding little caches of footage like this. Haven't watched Rampage yet this week but I'm thinking I probably will in a few hours here.

@franquietits Have you seen any AEW stuff? If you like good promos they have a dude named MJF who is genuinely the best promo I've seen since the rock. He doesn't miss. Every time he's on screen he steals the show and he's awesome at being a classic cocky scumbag heel but there's also some depth to his character. He had a program with CM punk a little over a year ago that was what got me fully back into wrestling and it was mostly the promos at first, but then they had an awesome dog collar match that I went nuts for. If you get bored and have half an hour to spare check this video out, it's extremely well edited and gives a good summary of a very well executed storyline.

This lead into a pretty crazy year that I won't even get into right now, but it ultimately ended with MJF winning the belt and he's currently in the midst of his first reign of terror. The rest of the show is hit and miss but when it hits its really good, strong influences from the Monday night wars.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #996 on: January 01, 2023, 02:11:54 AM »
Share that Kevin Sullivan link.   

Have been scouring for a Hogan promo from a locally aired Snake Pit segment where he brings up how good Iran Contra was in a promo to sell a match against Killer Khan.    The only tweet I found talking about was from May and the video is dead.   

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #997 on: January 01, 2023, 04:56:49 AM »
Here's the whole channel -

https://www.youtube.com/@TellemHawk/videos

Theres a bunch of good shit and a lot of it is compilations and full cards. It's an old channel of a bunch of VHS rips so it's not like network HD but it's pretty good quality for the most part.

The Sullivan stuff is great. I watched all of part one and part of part 2 last night and also skimmed a few other ones. There is a must-watch interview piece about Cornette from the old days, The abdullah tape is super campy but it has a bunch of good footage of the old bloody Caribbean matches I'd only ever seen photos of in the magazines when I was little, and they even somehow have footage of a rinky dink 1988 NWA house show in Johnstown PA (right outside Pittsburgh).

I'll keep an eye out for the Hogan thing. Do you have any idea of a location or date? Also are you still going to Dynamite in LA? The only thing scheduled this week that I actually want to see is Swerve vs AR Fox, so I think they're going to set some stories up for the socal show.

Ps - if any of you guys are interested in older stuff I have a bunch of other channels bookmarked too...just let me know what territory or wrestler you wanna see. YouTube is great but dailymotion and archive have some of the harder to find stuff.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #998 on: January 01, 2023, 08:35:32 AM »

Theres a bunch of good shit and a lot of it is compilations and full cards. It's an old channel of a bunch of VHS rips so it's not like network HD but it's pretty good quality for the most part.

The Sullivan stuff is great. I watched all of part one and part of part 2 last night and also skimmed a few other ones. There is a must-watch interview piece about Cornette from the old days, The abdullah tape is super campy but it has a bunch of good footage of the old bloody Caribbean matches I'd only ever seen photos of in the magazines when I was little, and they even somehow have footage of a rinky dink 1988 NWA house show in Johnstown PA (right outside Pittsburgh).

I'll keep an eye out for the Hogan thing. Do you have any idea of a location or date? Also are you still going to Dynamite in LA? The only thing scheduled this week that I actually want to see is Swerve vs AR Fox, so I think they're going to set some stories up for the socal show.

Ps - if any of you guys are interested in older stuff I have a bunch of other channels bookmarked too...just let me know what territory or wrestler you wanna see. YouTube is great but dailymotion and archive have some of the harder to find stuff.

Not sure if I’m going to Dynamite yet.   I have tickets for Battle of Los angeles, just gotta convince my friend who can get tickets to do both

Re Hogan.   I think he only had one program with Killer Khan.   At 12:30 is the Snake Pit part

[url]http://youtu.be/8tFTLJabeqs]
if I’m going to Dynamite yet.   I have tickets for Battle of Los angeles, just gotta convince my friend who can get tickets to do both

Re Hogan.   I think he only had one program with Killer Khan.   At 12:30 is the Snake Pit part

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1525515208327823362

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #999 on: January 01, 2023, 11:35:24 AM »
Sasha Banks is officially a free agent. They really dropped the ball with her in the end. She had a big following and can put on fantastic matches with anybody. Her NJPW match is going to show WWE what they let go.

Pour one out in memory of her Sailor Moon outfit.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1000 on: January 01, 2023, 04:31:05 PM »
Explain the Ronda love

She looks solid in the ring & she owns being the “baddest”, not to take any limelight from the EST, Bianca. Ronda reminds me of a female Kurt Angle but boisterous. I’ve always admired wrestlers that can also be top notch outside of the ring then come in & do it well i.e Ronda, Kurt, Brock, etc.

Ronda is top notch.

Let’s also discuss the ball dropped on never pushing Shelton Benjamin since I see there are real wrestling lovers here.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1001 on: January 01, 2023, 04:35:24 PM »

Her coming back & pinning Rousey was utter garbage.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1002 on: January 01, 2023, 04:48:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I mean, I hate the way WwE does surprise title changes, but you might be the only one I’ve heard that has been enjoying what Ronda’s been doing in the ring.  Not trying to knock what you like, but I think they were trying to fix something that wasn’t working for fans.   

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1003 on: January 01, 2023, 05:41:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I loved when Animal would say "Tell em, Hawk!"
Does anyone know of old videos where the guys would throw fire? Ronnie Garvin got burnt i remember. Ricky Morton, maybe? NWA/WCW had a lot of wild stuff before wrestling turned glam.

Here's the Garvin one, with the famous Jimmy Jam charging into the heel locker room part after and a slo mo replay. Cornette tells a bunch of stories about this on his podcasts, including how he had to redo a promo he was taping because he said that Garvin "went up like the Challenger!".

The Sheik (the original one, Sabu's uncle) threw fire in damn near every match he was in. The fucked up part is he only occasionally let his opponents know it was coming.

The other famous fireball user was Jerry Lawler. So much so they made an amazing compilation video of it back in the day.

And a bonus full clip of the great Andy Kaufman

Memphis loved fire. You had a decent chance of seeing it on any given week, especially when business was down and they were trying to draw people to the shows. Eddie Gilbert was another prominent flame thrower (and a hell of a good talker too).

Believe it or not, Chris Jericho has brought the fireball back into style to some degree. One of his many personalities is "the Wizard" and he throws a very accurate one. He just burned someone like two weeks ago on AEW TV.

Totally agree with you about the old NWA and just territory wrestling in general being awesome. As dumb as it probably sounds to someone who doesn't watch, it was just so much better when they actually treated it like they were fighting and the stars were pretty much all dudes who looked like they could genuinely beat your ass if they felt like it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1004 on: January 01, 2023, 05:56:33 PM »
He did it to Action Andretti the week after he pinned Jericho

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1005 on: January 01, 2023, 07:40:01 PM »
There are clips of Hogan or Savage botching one.   Looks like flash paper or something like that

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 26
« Reply #1006 on: January 02, 2023, 05:08:14 AM »
Hogan has two of the funniest botches of all time. Not being able to get the fireball lit is one, the other is when he couldn't get the motorcycle to fire up.. what a bum.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1007 on: January 02, 2023, 10:51:49 AM »
Yep, flash paper and a lighter. WWE uses a magicians prop that shoots balls of flash cotton for a lot of stuff too.

The famous Hogan botch was against warrior during the terrible WCW run. Hulk insisted on keeping it in his tights and of course after a few minutes it was so saturated in his ball juice that he couldn't get it to work at first, then he missed by a mile once he got it lit. It looked terrible and came at the end of a historically bad match.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1008 on: January 03, 2023, 06:35:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I mean, I hate the way WwE does surprise title changes, but you might be the only one I’ve heard that has been enjoying what Ronda’s been doing in the ring.  Not trying to knock what you like, but I think they were trying to fix something that wasn’t working for fans.

Agree to disagree, lovely stuff. I think they were setting up a feud for Ronda as she really had no one to compete with her. I was honestly glad when they got rid of the Liv Morgan storyline as again, her Cash In was boring, highly predictable & she is nowhere near the level of Rousey. Same for Flair. I know the Flair win was also to boost the ratings on Smackdown for the Finale, which I get. As far as why I back her, I admire anyone that can come from another world (MMA/UFC, etc) & being able to do well in the WWE/wrestling world i.e. Brock Lesnar (been a fan since he debuted) Kurt Angle (a favorite for sure), Shelton Benjamin, etc.  I think she looks solid in the ring & owns her persona on television/WWE. On another note, I think they will push Shayna Baszler soon as she is overdue for some type of title. I believe that is why they had her with Rousey & I know Rousey has encourage WWE to give her a push.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1009 on: January 03, 2023, 06:42:23 PM »
Yep, flash paper and a lighter. WWE uses a magicians prop that shoots balls of flash cotton for a lot of stuff too.

The famous Hogan botch was against warrior during the terrible WCW run. Hulk insisted on keeping it in his tights and of course after a few minutes it was so saturated in his ball juice that he couldn't get it to work at first, then he missed by a mile once he got it lit. It looked terrible and came at the end of a historically bad match.

I'll have to look into this. I actually started with WCW as a kid so going back has always been a wild trip down memory lane. Some of the Eddie/Mysterio matches are the best crusierweight matches to date. Also, I should share my Grandmother played BINGO with Billy Kidman's grandmother on a regular basis as he was from PA.

WCW... how bad it became is bordering sad... 25 world title changes in 1 year.....
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 06:16:50 PM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1010 on: January 03, 2023, 06:56:57 PM »
Let me also add the Dominick Mysterio story of him going to jail is awful. I know WWE wants him to be Eddie or even Razor (as seen in the recent promo of him in kayfabe prison) but it is just not working. Probably doesn’t help the Judgment Day is one of the weakest factions I can think of. Not interesting by any means.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1011 on: January 03, 2023, 07:34:53 PM »
Let me also add the Dominick Mysterio story of him going to jail is awful. I know WWE wants him to be Eddie or even Razor (as seen in the recent promo of him in kayfabe prison) but it is just not working. Probably doesn’t help the Judgment Day is one of the weakest factions I can think of. Not interesting by any means.

Yeah it’s so laughably bad.   I believe the spooky bullshit with Alexa more than I believe Dom trying to put any kind of bass in his voice and act tough.    A smarter company would be playing up the comedy rather than contributed to the unintentional comedy of it all

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1012 on: January 03, 2023, 07:39:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Agree to disagree, lovely stuff. I think they were setting up a feud for Ronda as she really had no one to compete with her. I was honestly glad when they got rid of the Liv Morgan storyline as again, her Cash In was boring, highly predictable & she is nowhere near the level of Rousey. Same for Flair. I know the Flair win was also to boost the ratings on Smackdown for the Finale, which I get. As far as why I back her, I admire anyone that can come from another world (MMA/UFC, etc) & being able to do well in the WWE/wrestling world i.e. Brock Lesnar (been a fan since he debuted) Kurt Angle (a favorite for sure), Shelton Benjamin, etc.  I think she looks solid in the ring & owns her persona on television/WWE. On another note, I think they will push Shayna Baszler soon as she is overdue for some type of title. I believe that is why they had her with Rousey & I know Rousey has encourage WWE to give her a push.

Sure, but Brock, Shelton, Angle all were seriously talented amateur (collegiate/Olympian) wrestlers and Brock and Shelton spent a lot of time in developmental in OVW.  A lot of pro wrestlers have that collegiate wrestling background

Ronda did well when she was thrown out there and it wasn’t her fault it collided with Becky Lynch’s rise, but she faltered as soon as she hit adversity.   

Rocko

• Rep: 38
« Reply #1013 on: January 04, 2023, 02:55:29 AM »
I’ll be at LA dynamite! Looking forward to hangman vs Mox

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 26
« Reply #1014 on: January 04, 2023, 04:59:09 AM »
IT'S WEDNESDAY NIGHT! YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!!!!

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1015 on: January 04, 2023, 05:18:02 AM »
Sasha Banks debuted at Wrestle Kingdom.

Would love to see the Nakamura-Muta match.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1016 on: January 04, 2023, 10:50:52 AM »

I can't believe they licensed the sephiroth song for Omega. What a fucking geek.

Match with Ospreay was a banger as usual.

Check ur pms.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1017 on: January 04, 2023, 11:11:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sure, but Brock, Shelton, Angle all were seriously talented amateur (collegiate/Olympian) wrestlers and Brock and Shelton spent a lot of time in developmental in OVW.  A lot of pro wrestlers have that collegiate wrestling background

Ronda did well when she was thrown out there and it wasn’t her fault it collided with Becky Lynch’s rise, but she faltered as soon as she hit adversity.

Ronda was in the Olympics too for Judo.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 11:54:36 AM by Mr. Kamikazi »

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1018 on: January 04, 2023, 11:17:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can't believe they licensed the sephiroth song for Omega. What a fucking geek.

Match with Ospreay was a banger as usual.

Check ur pms.

Sick
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1019 on: January 04, 2023, 04:59:22 PM »
I started watching the Muta match but got distracted by something and ended up kinda missing the finish. I might re-watch the whole thing if I'm still hungry for more wrestling after dynamite but I caught most of it. They did the full wrestlemania entrance (or as much of it as you can fit in the budokan) for Nakamura which was cool and he had a special bodysuit made for the match.

Muta stumbling to the ring is like comfort food for me haha, I got a warm fuzzy from it. Though not as prominent as Sting or Tony/JR, he's been something that's just always kinda been there and I can trace memories of muta back to specific points in my life which is cool. He was one of the first wrestlers to actually scare me, and not in the campy WWF way. I had actual "oh shit he's under my bed and he's going to blind me any second now" nightmares about the dude. Then he turned good and became like a ninja superhero right as I hit the age where spitting mist and kicking people was what I wanted to do for a career. Then one day he just disappeared back to Japan, but would occasionally show up on WCW Saturday night or nitro and make me just fully mark out. I even vividly remember what I was doing when I saw his NWO face paint for the first time because I thought it was the coolest fucking thing in the world.

Anyways, from what I watched I was really surprised how good he still moves. He's obviously old and broken down, but he's still got tons of snap and bumps really well. They were definitely working snug at points and both did some great selling so it came off as really hard hitting. Nakamura was a good pick for an opponent, they work at the same pace and had good chemistry in there.