Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 40950 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2022, 02:38:13 AM »
Alright last Dynamite before the PPV let's fucking go.

MJF out right away. Smart. What a great opening match... This feud is so good. That was some top notch sportsertainment, strong attitude era vibes. Wardlow had his breakout at the last PPV, this one might make him a full blown star. Good on AEW and JR to say something about Texas too. Hopefully that disappointed Grampa stare he gave the camera gets through to a few people.

Jericho throwing fireballs in peoples faces and calling himself a wizard is now like his 15th gimmick that I'm 100% here for. He's just the king of it. I mean the dude got a list over twice (3x if you count the Owens list), so he legitimately can get people to cheer for a piece of paper. I put his really fucking sweet new shirt in my cart but I want to see what he does at the PPV before I buy it.

Marq Quen out here lookin like the illegitimate son of Sir Mo from Men on a mission. Illegitimate because he's actually pretty good.

Holy shit United empire! I was just watching njpw the other day and thinking how bad I wanted to see Jeff Cobb in AEW and Great O'Khan is such a great throwback heel. That roppongi vice - FTR match was really good too, they actually got me with that finish haha.

Next up is the starks/jb/Swerve 3way. I feel like I should use modern language to describe such a modern match so that shit was lit yo....375 pounds of Keith Lee doing a corkscrew over the top to the outside is not something I thought I'd see today. I think he legit fucked Hobbs up there too, he didn't move much.

I have to laugh every time I see Britt wrestle because her tiny ass makes her a great example of what my coworkers refer to as a "Pennsylvania Longback". Our hospital is on the same hill as the dental school she went to and there's hundreds of them in pastel scrub pants roaming the area on any given day. Glad she won. I feel like she's gonna job to Ruby in the final though.

Joe vs Kyle O'Rimjob was basically what I expected. Joe is great, KOR is boring. Im glad we're gritting Joe in the finals but I fully expect him to put Cole over. I'll be very happy if I'm wrong about that one.

Anyways, looking forward to the PPV. Theres a countdown/review show on TNT tomorrow (Friday) night after the NHL game (rampage is at 630 this week) for people who need to get caught up on the storylines.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #211 on: May 26, 2022, 04:08:06 AM »

MJF out right away. Smart. What a great opening match... This feud is so good. That was some top notch sportsertainment, strong attitude era vibes. Wardlow had his breakout at the last PPV, this one might make him a full blown star. Good on AEW and JR to say something about Texas too. Hopefully that disappointed Grampa stare he gave the camera gets through to a few people.

Jericho throwing fireballs in peoples faces and calling himself a wizard is now like his 15th gimmick that I'm 100% here for. He's just the king of it. I mean the dude got a list over twice (3x if you count the Owens list), so he legitimately can get people to cheer for a piece of paper. I put his really fucking sweet new shirt in my cart but I want to see what he does at the PPV before I buy it.

Marq Quen out here lookin like the illegitimate son of Sir Mo from Men on a mission. Illegitimate because he's actually pretty good.

Holy shit United empire! I was just watching njpw the other day and thinking how bad I wanted to see Jeff Cobb in AEW and Great O'Khan is such a great throwback heel. That roppongi vice - FTR match was really good too, they actually got me with that finish haha.

Next up is the starks/jb/Swerve 3way. I feel like I should use modern language to describe such a modern match so that shit was lit yo....375 pounds of Keith Lee doing a corkscrew over the top to the outside is not something I thought I'd see today. I think he legit fucked Hobbs up there too, he didn't move much.

I have to laugh every time I see Britt wrestle because her tiny ass makes her a great example of what my coworkers refer to as a "Pennsylvania Longback". Our hospital is on the same hill as the dental school she went to and there's hundreds of them in pastel scrub pants roaming the area on any given day. Glad she won. I feel like she's gonna job to Ruby in the final though.

Joe vs Kyle O'Rimjob was basically what I expected. Joe is great, KOR is boring. Im glad we're gritting Joe in the finals but I fully expect him to put Cole over. I'll be very happy if I'm wrong about that one.

Anyways, looking forward to the PPV. Theres a countdown/review show on TNT tomorrow (Friday) night after the NHL game (rampage is at 630 this week) for people who need to get caught up on the storylines.

Hah what’s PA long back?   

I’ve loved Ricky Starks ever since he sold that move where he was thrown into the ropes and his opponent dropped down flat and instead of stepping over him like 99.9% of other wrestlers do, he tripped on the guy which is the intent of the move.   

SHAQUEEFA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #212 on: May 26, 2022, 06:00:47 AM »
Hey Buttfart, I forgot to address this comment from you.

"Hahahaha. Dude. I need you to understand that I spend way too much time during my days just making stupid wrestling jokes to myself so this shit makes me so happy to read."

I fully understand, I have an entire federation that plays out in my mind. My character is a suit wearing businessman named "Strictly Business" Scott Stevens. Sometimes he takes a break in the match to answer his cell phone. Other times he will just look at his watch, grab his briefcase, and leave. After getting counted out and losing, he will cut a backstage promo explaining he had a big meeting that netted him way more money than a match in (insert shitty town name here) could ever pay him.

I also have this crazy tag team where one guy is a paranormal medium and his tag team partner is a ghost. Because as the medium puts it, "You can't pin what you can't see" So homie will start the match, get his ass beat, and then tag in the ghost.  This is when the other tag team just starts selling punches and kicks with nobody there. It would be hilarious. Then all of a sudden, both guys are just beat to fuck, and the medium puts his hand out for a tag, sells the tag, gets in the ring and gets the pin.

Pennsylvania longback popped me hard. HAHAHAH!!! Hey Atiba! It means she has no ass!!! Just a long back!

Jeff Cobb wrestled one match against Cody Rhodes in the first couple months of AEW, but obviously Cody went over. Been hearing about this guy so I'm looking forward to it.

I really blew it not going to the NJPW Strong tapings here when I had the chance.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2022, 10:53:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hah what’s PA long back?   

I’ve loved Ricky Starks ever since he sold that move where he was thrown into the ropes and his opponent dropped down flat and instead of stepping over him like 99.9% of other wrestlers do, he tripped on the guy which is the intent of the move.

A tall, thin student with a small butt that doesn't protrude. Think stereotypical volleyball player or swimmer build. Their native habitat is the middle class suburban areas outside of the cities, but they migrate to the Pitt medical and dental schools every fall. They're strange creatures that make a grating high pitched "wooooo!" sound when they get excited, but they pose no threat.

I'm totally on the Starks bandwagon now. I thought he was just another generic athletic dude but he really won me over to the point I get excited when he's on commentary haha. I thought Keith Lee was doing him a favor by working with him (I think they're tight behind the scenes) but I was wrong. Starks is definitely performing on that level. He has that "it" factor you just can't really describe and I love how heelish he was in that match last night. That's obviously his bread and butter but I think he would make a really good sympathetic baby face if they had Hobbs turn on him or something like that. At any rate he's going places.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2022, 12:37:17 PM »
Starks is tight. I like his music. Great worker. He got a huge babyface pop when Dynamite was in New Orleans and it was great.

Somehow I ended up in a group chat with a bunch of "in the know" fans. Like they regularly talk to wrestlers and own a wrestling podcast network. "Keepin' it Strong Style" is one of their bigger podcasts. That string of weeks at the beginning when they would bring in random indy guys to challenge Cody for the TNT title, these guys would already know who it was gonna be and they were the most pumped for Ricky. He had a really great match with Cody and I'm pretty sure that is what helped get him signed full time. Eddie Kingston went the same route. Somehow he was just instantly over with the fans.

But for real, Starks and Jungle Boy could be giving us banger matches against each other for the next 10-15 years.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2022, 02:04:23 PM »
The TNT open challenge era with Cody was so good.   It’s like the complete opposite of his current WWE booking of feuding with Seth Rollins for three ppvs even though he’s already beat him twice

Dang if you guys think volleyball players have no asses then we need to export someone of them from California to where you guys are!   

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2022, 07:40:34 AM »
Hey Buttfart, I forgot to address this comment from you.

"Hahahaha. Dude. I need you to understand that I spend way too much time during my days just making stupid wrestling jokes to myself so this shit makes me so happy to read."

I fully understand, I have an entire federation that plays out in my mind. My character is a suit wearing businessman named "Strictly Business" Scott Stevens. Sometimes he takes a break in the match to answer his cell phone. Other times he will just look at his watch, grab his briefcase, and leave. After getting counted out and losing, he will cut a backstage promo explaining he had a big meeting that netted him way more money than a match in (insert shitty town name here) could ever pay him.

I also have this crazy tag team where one guy is a paranormal medium and his tag team partner is a ghost. Because as the medium puts it, "You can't pin what you can't see" So homie will start the match, get his ass beat, and then tag in the ghost.  This is when the other tag team just starts selling punches and kicks with nobody there. It would be hilarious. Then all of a sudden, both guys are just beat to fuck, and the medium puts his hand out for a tag, sells the tag, gets in the ring and gets the pin.

Pennsylvania longback popped me hard. HAHAHAH!!! Hey Atiba! It means she has no ass!!! Just a long back!

Jeff Cobb wrestled one match against Cody Rhodes in the first couple months of AEW, but obviously Cody went over. Been hearing about this guy so I'm looking forward to it.

I really blew it not going to the NJPW Strong, tapings here when I had the chance.

Hahahaha dude we need to get you a writing gig with AEW. I would absolutely watch Scott Stevens tell someone he's going to put them through an unpaid internship.... In pain. Have ever seen the Chuck Taylor "list of unused wrestler names" video? I feel like you and him might be kindred spirits.

https://youtu.be/ifolC4Nt140

Your ghost and medium tag team would be insanely over in Chikara or PWG but it may actually make Jim Cornette's head explode. You're right though the more I think about it with the right workers there's so much great shit you could do with that. Watch someone at AEW see this and steal it now haha.

So here's why I'm pumped about Cobb... Did you watch Lucha Underground at all? I wasn't super into wrestling at the time but I would sometimes watch it on YouTube and the one storyline/character that really stood out as top notch was the Matanza Cueto introduction. It was like this monster Kane character that was built like Rhyno, wrestled like Brock, and had an awesome mask. I saw him tossing dudes around for the first time and was wondering who the hell he was, so I looked him up and found out it was this Hawaiian dude named Jeff Cobb. I didn't really follow his indy or ROH runs but I heard he was good but suffered from lacking a convincing character beyond "thick strong guy". So I guess overall he's kind of a modern Scott Norton at this stage, but with the right gimmick he can be really good.

From what I remember he's got a reputation as being kind of a dildo backstage but hopefully he's smart enough to shut up and wrestle now. Japan won't last forever and I'm pretty sure AEW pays better than CYN.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2022, 08:28:03 AM »
The TNT open challenge era with Cody was so good.   It’s like the complete opposite of his current WWE booking of feuding with Seth Rollins for three ppvs even though he’s already beat him twice

Dang if you guys think volleyball players have no asses then we need to export someone of them from California to where you guys are!

Cody has that old school southern wrasslin carny blood in his veins and even though hes missed plenty of times when he hits there's really nothing like it in US wrestling today. I really like watching how he blends the modern indy influence and high spots with the classic storytelling and emotion that his dad was so famous for. He's a really good physical communicator.

I know it was cool to hate Cody for a while there (and I definitely joined in on the fun) but deep down I'm a massive Rhodes mark. All of them except Brandi. I've posted plenty about Dustin but Dusty was in polka dots by the time I started watching as a kid and oddly enough it was his very short ECW run (including a bloody ppv match with Steve Corino that was better than it had any right to be) that made me seek out a bunch of his old stuff and fall in love with it. I actually just watched an old Dusty vs Tully match I had never seen before the other day.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2022, 08:49:48 PM »
I like Cody for the most part, but it’s that WwE/HHH thing of ignoring the crowd and making the face go over the likes of Malachi Black for example that kind of grated on me

He can elevate people even winning as the tnt open challenge showed and his match with Wardlow, but that little “post-neck tattoo” run where it just felt like he was on a different show, just got me a little bummed on him. 

Apparently Colt Cabana is going to ROH.  M

lickcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • breathcakes
« Reply #219 on: May 27, 2022, 09:52:56 PM »
i love pro wrestling. but, just like, jacking off to it

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #220 on: May 28, 2022, 01:16:57 AM »
I like Cody for the most part, but it’s that WwE/HHH thing of ignoring the crowd and making the face go over the likes of Malachi Black for example that kind of grated on me

He can elevate people even winning as the tnt open challenge showed and his match with Wardlow, but that little “post-neck tattoo” run where it just felt like he was on a different show, just got me a little bummed on him. 

Apparently Colt Cabana is going to ROH.  M

Dude I never really thought of it like this but it was right around the time of the neck tat that he started to get unbearable. We need to just start differentiating time periods as Cody BNT and Cody PNT. Absolutely agree about the booking souring his run and I think part of the problem for me was Brandi. She's pretty unlikeable and a lot of shit came off as a vanity project for her rather than her supporting Cody.

Colt in ROH makes sense. Seems like he's spent a lot of time on tour and kinda stayed away since Punk showed up anyways. It would be kind of cool if he did a character switch where he just drops the comedy stuff to focus on winning a belt or snaps and becomes a psycho if people don't laugh at his jokes. Kinda like an evil doink energy.

Do you watch BTE?

i love pro wrestling. but, just like, jacking off to it

Oh you'll fit in fine here. Heres a good one! See if YOU can last 10 minutes.

https://youtu.be/0-fiD8dT_5w
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 01:29:02 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #221 on: May 28, 2022, 11:32:56 AM »
Should’ve been Statlander. Her last couple matches have pushed her into my favorites at AEW. And now Ruby has an uphill road to win the crowd back over. MAN did they boo her. I felt bad.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #222 on: May 28, 2022, 02:07:36 PM »
Should’ve been Statlander. Her last couple matches have pushed her into my favorites at AEW. And now Ruby has an uphill road to win the crowd back over. MAN did they boo her. I felt bad.

Just watched it. The smark in me agrees but Ruby was brought in as a "big name" so they kind of have to do something with her. I think it's gonna be her and Cole sadly.
They seem to sometimes pit the AEW originals against Tony's new toys to get heat. I think they should probably kinda back off that because I feel like that's part of the reason why the crowd turned on Ruby there. If they have to pick between what they see as AEW vs ex-WWE then it's pretty obvious which way they'll go. It didn't help that Stat had a great match either, as soon as she hit that clothesline the crowd was hers.

I fucking LOST IT when the bucks came out. I legit popped for Gangrel but when I saw Cutler dressed as Lita, complete with whale tail, I did that thing where you laugh so hard you start coughing. The match itself was pretty awesome too, definitely some PWG shit there haha. Was cool to see Gangrel hit an impaler too, always loved that move.

Awesome to see how over the assclaimed boys are. "Scissor me Daddy Ass" might be my fantasy football team name this year. Platinum Max looks like a fucking star. If they're smart they'll give him a big push at some point. I don't like them jobbing him out to Dante but I've got a bit of bias there haha.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #223 on: May 29, 2022, 02:01:57 PM »
DOUBLE OR NOTHING TONIGHT BOYS!!!! LET'S FUCKING GOOOOO!!!!!!

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #224 on: May 29, 2022, 04:02:31 PM »
DOUBLE OR NOTHING TONIGHT BOYS!!!! LET'S FUCKING GOOOOO!!!!!!

Are you following the MJF shit? I'm 99.99% sure it's a work to get people to tune in and srs/alvarez/meltzer are either in on it or being manipulated. I feel like it all ends with him "no showing" and then Wardlow finds him and drags him to the ring and power bombs him through a table.

Edit: ROFL I love MJF. Just worked the entire smark world. Apparently there were multiple reddit megathreads and people were just losing their shit all day.

I just ordered some sushi and cleaned my bong - I have to be careful though, I've been on a big indica kick lately but if I hit this blueberry or golden pineapple now I feel like I'm not making it past the third match haha.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 05:53:53 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #225 on: May 30, 2022, 04:36:45 AM »
Wow. Pretty crazy show. I was super baked and apparently took a LOT of notes so I'm going to have to edit them for brevity and clarity haha. Some high points (weyyyyy!)

- "Jungle Boy is a star but judging by those new tights we might have to change his name to Hungle Boy."

- "Samoa Joe's face is slowly turning into a catcher's mitt"

- "Matt Hardy moves like Hank Hill's dad. Nick Jackson looks like Lash Leroux."

Actual highlights were the Hardys vs bucks, HOB - DT match, the anarchy in the arena match, and the 3 way tag. MJF Wardlow was a great spectacle but not the best match I've ever seen.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #226 on: May 30, 2022, 12:01:54 PM »
I'm so over following this MJF saga. Been stressing me out. I thought it was a work until I reflected on the match and was certain it isn't, but then just in the middle of typing this I saw this. I don't know any more. I hope he can be happy and successful wherever he ends up, but the selfish part of me wants that to be in AEW cause he's my favourite part of the show and I'm not watching WWE just for him. Whatever, wrestling is more fun when you don't follow the BTS nonsense.

DoN was great I thought. Although WTF are they thinking making Britt and Cole the winners of the Owen tournament. Britt is on Charlotte levels of getting fed every other woman in the company. Adam Cole I just do not get why he's on tv every single week without fail while so many others miss out. Also if you're going to do this undisputed / redragon / bucks / elite / whatever storyline with them all then please just fucking get on with it.

Edit - if it was a work then they would've mentioned something about it on commentary, instead of saying nothing and sounding like they didn't want to be there while he's also in the ring legit looking like he doesn't want to be there either. Like what the fuck is the point in working allllllllll of these rumours and stories if you're not going to actually use it in storyline? Meltzer's point makes no sense. I stand firm.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 12:15:31 PM by Billy Bitchcakes »
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2022, 12:40:54 PM »
I'm so over following this MJF saga. Been stressing me out. I thought it was a work until I reflected on the match and was certain it isn't, but then just in the middle of typing this I saw this. I don't know any more. I hope he can be happy and successful wherever he ends up, but the selfush part of me wants that to be in AEW cause he's my favourite part of the show and I'm not watching WWE just for him. Wrestling is more fun when you don't follow the BTS nonsense.

DoN was great I thought. Although WTF are they thinking making Britt and Cole the winners of the Owen tournament. Britt is on Charlotte levels of getting fed every other woman in the company. Adam Cole I just do not get why he's on tv every single week without fail while so many others miss out. Also if you're going to do this undisputed / redragon / bucks / elite / whatever storyline with them all then please just fucking get on with it.

So I kinda think this is just MJF working an injury or something else where he needed time off. He never publicly breaks character and I honestly don't see a planet where he's clueless enough that he genuinely thinks 18 months out is the time to play hardball negotiator. I've heard that he idolizes the era when strict kayfabe was in effect and dudes like Portland Piper and Dusty who could manipulate it so well. If you wanted to bring kayfabe back and make people feel genuine hate for you in the era of reddit and Twitter then this is exactly how you would do it. The timing of it is all so suspicious to me as well...it all happened to coincide with the PPV and get the entire wrestling world to tune in.

Cole was forever and always ruined for me when someone pointed out the little fake "eh eh" stammer he does before every other sentence. It's like how Lex Luger grunts and shouts every time he does a move... Once you hear it it's all you can hear and he does it every single time he's on TV. I also don't know how I feel about having a heel not only win the tournament but have him cheat to do so. It's even weirder since Britt just out wrestled Ruby and beat her clean/showed respect to her after. It almost makes me wonder if Ruby wasn't originally supposed to go over but they got cold feet after the fans turned on her vs Stat. Like did you really book Rancid to have her lose? That would also explain why they sent Rich Ward out there to look like the world's jackiest ass, they didn't want just the loser to get a special entrance and Jericho's buddy was the best they could do last minute.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #229 on: May 31, 2022, 08:42:02 AM »
Double or Nothing kinda fell short for me.

Having the Hardy's beat the Bucks is just nonsense.

Booking Rancid to have Ruby Soho lose is nonsense.

The highlights for me were Thunder Rosa v. Deeb even though I felt that match went a little long.

Darby v KORimjob was one of the better matches.

Death Triangle v HOB was awesome except for the finish I am so fucking over people spraying mist in the eyes.

Triple threat tag was really good. HUNGLE BOY!!! HAHHAHAH!!!!!

Page v Punk wasn't that awesome and unless Page is hurt and needs some time off, the wrong dude won.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2022, 01:19:34 PM »
Double or Nothing kinda fell short for me.

Having the Hardy's beat the Bucks is just nonsense.

Booking Rancid to have Ruby Soho lose is nonsense.

The highlights for me were Thunder Rosa v. Deeb even though I felt that match went a little long.

Darby v KORimjob was one of the better matches.

Death Triangle v HOB was awesome except for the finish I am so fucking over people spraying mist in the eyes.

Triple threat tag was really good. HUNGLE BOY!!! HAHHAHAH!!!!!

Page v Punk wasn't that awesome and unless Page is hurt and needs some time off, the wrong dude won.

Yeah overall it wasn't one of their best shows, the undercard kinda carried it really.

I loved the Bucks vs Hardys haha. I enjoy shtick sometimes and it was basically a PWG match. Apparently Jeff was in rough shape going into it (mostly from the Darby match, big surprise) and since Matt walks like he got his shins blown off in WW2 there wasn't too much they could do. I agree the Bucks should have won but I bet they wanted to job to their heroes.

The Rancid thing is one of the main reasons I'm leaning towards the "last minute change" theory. It's dumb on so many levels and all the other booking makes more sense with Ruby winning.

Rosa vs Deeb was pretty good but I'm starting to hate Rosa matches because of how loud she is haha. She's like Lex Luger and Vickie Guerrero rolled into one (not sure if I used that one yet). I vote we swap her and hook's gimmicks. He would look great in a Texican bodysuit. I do like watching Serena work, usually girls who are super skinny like that aren't believable for me (red velvet suffers from this) but I feel like getting tied up by one of her bony ass arms or leathery legs would really suck. I've noticed that Rosa matches tend to go a little too long or be unevenly paced, even the Britt matches were like that to some extent.

HOB vs death triangle was probably my highlight and yeah I'm pretty over the mist thing but that particular one didn't make me that mad. It would be cool if it was super rare and getting hit with it like guaranteed they'd be under Black's control instead of it just being the new eye rake. Maybe I'm just projecting because I would totally be down with Julia Hart spitting in my face.

I mostly hated Darby vs KOR. Especially since KOR won. His matches all feel kinda same-y to me and there's only so many times I can see him reverse something into a joint lock before I tune out. Also the storyline was laughable and I felt like it didn't need to be on the card.

Page vs Punk was pretty good. Hangman is really starting to remind me of prime HBK. Some dudes just move different in the ring and he's one of them. I agree that he should have won. Honestly I wanted him to have it for at least a year to really add some importance and gravity to the belt but Punk is the money draw so I'm sure Tony wants to see what he can do on top. I don't hate that Punk won so much as I hate that Hangman lost.

That anarchy match is going to go down in history. That was so well down for such a crazy fucking spectacle and my inner ECW fan was marking the fuck out the whole time. I had so much fun watching that and Jericho is just on an absolute tear right now.

That 3 way tag was just like... No way it could be bad with those 6 dudes in there but it still exceeded my expectations haha. Everyone in that match was great but Hungle Boy and Starks are stars and they need to get a singles feud going ASAP.

Did you watch the pre show at all? I genuinely think maybe the biggest pop I heard all night was for Hookhausen haha. Gotta say Tony Neese is a hell of a hand, he made Danhausen look legit. I have to say I haven't really been as high on Hook as most but man he's got his old man's snap.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #231 on: June 01, 2022, 01:50:47 PM »
I really like the way Hook works. He does this little extra shit to make something from a small guy believable. His suplexes are masterful and watch his toes dude he like seriously is on some ballerina shit working for a few extra inches between the mat and his opponent coming down from a suplex.

I also like how he was in the background for a very long time at Team Taz and they really didn't have him do much until he was ready to be amazing. I'm just glad that AEW values tag teams so these guys will be together for awhile and not just randomly split up for no reason like in the other place.

And yeah, if Ruby didn't get boo'd so bad on Friday night against Statlander, she fully wins. And then you can have Ruby and Cole doing the ceremony and maybe Ruby puts her arm around Cole for a photo and then BOOM! Out comes the Pennsylvanina longback to attack Ruby and keep the rivalry going on some keep yo hands off my man type shit.

Maybe the best thing about the whole PPV was "Wild Thing" playing on a loop until Jericho made it to the sound board and shut it off. Fucking incredible. It took me a second to actually realize the song was still playing but dammit that shit was funny.

And dude, I know you mentioned maybe starting to listen to Talk is Jericho, but you really need to. It is VERY good. He just did an episode with the whole JAS and those dudes are funny as fuck. Garcia straight up says he bit the backwards Kangol hat from Triple H to complete his "sports entertainment" look.

Jericho is a great storyteller and will fully break down the pychology of certain things he did and it really shows that he is truly one of the great ones.

And if you like bts stuff, he did a recent episode with a trademark attorney fully breaking down how wrestlers get to own their names and gimmicks and how certain things could get stolen when paperwork isn't filed right. Pretty interesting stuff. Jericho owns the name "Chris Jericho" but WWE own "Y2J" "The Millenium Man" "The List"  and anything Jericho created while at WWE is owned by WWE. They talk about how Dave Bautista was changed to "Batista" so WWE could own the name, and other shit like that. Pretty interesting stuff.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2022, 07:32:16 PM »
I really like the way Hook works. He does this little extra shit to make something from a small guy believable. His suplexes are masterful and watch his toes dude he like seriously is on some ballerina shit working for a few extra inches between the mat and his opponent coming down from a suplex.

I also like how he was in the background for a very long time at Team Taz and they really didn't have him do much until he was ready to be amazing. I'm just glad that AEW values tag teams so these guys will be together for awhile and not just randomly split up for no reason like in the other place.

And yeah, if Ruby didn't get boo'd so bad on Friday night against Statlander, she fully wins. And then you can have Ruby and Cole doing the ceremony and maybe Ruby puts her arm around Cole for a photo and then BOOM! Out comes the Pennsylvanina longback to attack Ruby and keep the rivalry going on some keep yo hands off my man type shit.

Maybe the best thing about the whole PPV was "Wild Thing" playing on a loop until Jericho made it to the sound board and shut it off. Fucking incredible. It took me a second to actually realize the song was still playing but dammit that shit was funny.

And dude, I know you mentioned maybe starting to listen to Talk is Jericho, but you really need to. It is VERY good. He just did an episode with the whole JAS and those dudes are funny as fuck. Garcia straight up says he bit the backwards Kangol hat from Triple H to complete his "sports entertainment" look.

Jericho is a great storyteller and will fully break down the pychology of certain things he did and it really shows that he is truly one of the great ones.

And if you like bts stuff, he did a recent episode with a trademark attorney fully breaking down how wrestlers get to own their names and gimmicks and how certain things could get stolen when paperwork isn't filed right. Pretty interesting stuff. Jericho owns the name "Chris Jericho" but WWE own "Y2J" "The Millenium Man" "The List"  and anything Jericho created while at WWE is owned by WWE. They talk about how Dave Bautista was changed to "Batista" so WWE could own the name, and other shit like that. Pretty interesting stuff.

Dude I know. It's on my list, I just haven't been listening to as many podcasts since I'm not in my full covid space suit as much these days. I'm actually downloading that episode right now so I can listen to it whenever. I love Jericho on commentary, its always a good indicator to me that someone "gets it" when they can put someone over as a threat without breaking character and he's great at that. Ive really liked the TIJ clips I've heard too, so I really don't have a good excuse for not listening haha.

Can't believe I forgot to mention the sound board spot. That's the kind of shit only Jericho can actually make work hahaha. I also have to say that I'm really enjoying him becoming a big gimmick match/deathmatch guy in the twilight of his career. He knows he's slowing down and can't do it with his workrate and epic matches anymore so he's finding other ways to entertain us. Kind of the Terry Funk route I guess.

Dynamite was really good I thought. Cool to see Hikuleo on there...a 7 foot Tongan dude raised by Haku is like a built in monster heel gimmick haha. MJF is the absolute best talker in the game right now hands down no questions asked.

Also Holy shit Punk vs Tanahashi at Forbidden door? They've both lost a step and I don't know how much experience Punk has working with NJPW guys but I'm expecting it to be really good.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #233 on: June 02, 2022, 06:02:23 AM »
Dude that might have been the greatest promo of all time.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #234 on: June 02, 2022, 07:25:02 AM »
Dude that might have been the greatest promo of all time.

OK so this might just be stoned rambling, but hear me out. I think I'm starting to piece some things together.  So we do know a few things about Max the person despite how incredibly well he blurs the lines that might give us some insight. One is that he loves old territory wrestling and the kayfabe days even though its not the era he grew up in. He was a big fan of something else when he was a kid... Another guy who loves the old days... CM Punk.

In fact, we know from their feud that he idolized him. Now I mentioned before that one of the main reasons I think this was a work is the timing...but there's something I didn't pick up on at first. Something that didn't make sense until I was sitting here sweating my balls off yesterday. It was June 1st. It was Summer (not officially I know).

We're witnessing the summer of MJF. This is his homage to what I have to imagine was a pretty special and impactful time for a 15 year old MJF. My only question is whether he goes face like Punk (he's going to get cheered no matter what because he's so good) or he uses it to make everyone hate him even more. There was a ton of truth in that promo and they say the best heels are the ones who are justified in their actions.

Behind the scenes I think Tony will give him whatever he wants. He has to know how special this dude is.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #235 on: June 02, 2022, 09:03:53 AM »
Dude you are 100% on it.

This is completely a work.

Tony listened to that promo grinning ear to ear thinking about all the money he about to make. You think Tony gives the best talker in wrestling a live mic to voice his real life frustrations with the company? Hell no. he gave that man the mic and said "Let me have it"

And that genius MJF has the whole world already looking forward to something over a year down the line.

I just hope he gets to beat Punk for the title at some point.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #236 on: June 02, 2022, 09:16:12 AM »
Timing is actually the main reason I thought it wasn't a work (at first) because it's pretty shitty to start all this right at Wardlow's crowning culmination of a 2.5 year story. Now after that promo I wouldn't be surprised if it was a work from the start that began when MJF couldn't make that meet and greet for whatever reason and they decided to make a story out of it. If that's the case then I still think it's sad to overshadow the Wardlow story with it but maybe it had to be done in order to have this promo happen in front of the network execs, because he just delivered a moment that will no doubt go down in wrestling history. It might've been ok if they'd kicked off something for Wardlow at the same time instead of just having him squash a 50 year old fat guy.

I don't quite know what the end goal is with MJF. He almost turned the entire company heel with a single promo which is a bad route to go down IMO. Maybe this is their plan to elevate him to major stardom. Shit like this is maybe what it takes these days to get non-fans' eyes on wrestling. If they get it right then everyone who knows anything about wrestling is going to know about MJF, and therefore AEW. Which is exactly what the company needs because they haven't become a household name yet. I think he's the only person in the world who has the potential to add his name alongside Hogan, Rock, Austin and Cena, if that's ever possible again. AEW would sure be better off if it was.

While I'm here I've heard others say they think it's heading towards either Summer of Punk III or Summer of MJF. I wasn't watching for the last one, what actually was it that makes it an "event"? I don't understand what the difference was between that summer and any other 4 month period where a bunch of shit happened for somebody
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #237 on: June 02, 2022, 01:40:08 PM »
Did anyone see on RAW on Monday where Becky Lynch straight up said she was a wizard? She needs to check herself. Going after Ric Flair over who "The Man" is and now just saying she a wizard for no good reason. I haven't ever once seen her throw a fireball.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #238 on: June 02, 2022, 03:15:10 PM »
Did anyone see on RAW on Monday where Becky Lynch straight up said she was a wizard? She needs to check herself. Going after Ric Flair over who "The Man" is and now just saying she a wizard for no good reason. I haven't ever once seen her throw a fireball.

I would give my entire savings account to see Jericho bust in on a Becks promo and throw a fireball in her face. We just need more fireballs really, i remember a period where everyone in WCW would try to throw them but fuck it up like 60% of the time. I always imagined that Bischoff bought like a huge carton of defective flash paper by accident and was like "well I paid for it so we're going to use it". You'd see like Brad Armstrong eating a shitty fireball on main event from some goof in a bodysuit and mask haha. It was kind of like the mist today but if they spit it all over their boots half the time.

Speaking of fire, did you see the Janela clip? He's so, so dumb. I may have mentioned this before but I watched his documentary and felt like the dude is in over his head but isn't smart enough to realize it. The fact he's been back on the indies for like 2 months and is already attempting flaming super kicks might support that opinion hahaha.

And speaking of mist, I was thinking the one person I would he fine with blowing it doesn't - Luchasaurus. It could be like a remnant of his lizard DNA that he's activated somehow. I know it's mostly a heel thing but I think you can switch him.... honestly I think I just I really want a match where Hook or a vengeful Hungle Boy works his neck to injure his "mist gland" and take it away. It's not quite ghost partner level, but I would still watch it.

Rocko

• Rep: 38
« Reply #239 on: June 02, 2022, 03:43:31 PM »
Someone on the wrestling Reddit hooked me up with last minute tickets to dynamite last night

Such as a crazy show. First time seeing punk wrestle live, tanahashi, mjf pipe bomb. It was a great time. Now rampage tomorrow!