Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 41011 times)

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #330 on: June 24, 2022, 07:18:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Dark horse opponent for ZSJ… Timothy Thatcher.

That would be sick.
[close]

That would be sick. I think Thatch is in NOAH right now though so I'm not sure how that would work with it being an NJPW show, but I know Japanese promotion relations are nowhere near as bitter as they used to be so maybe it could work, especially if he's technically a freelancer.

I actually set an alarm for Rampage tonight haha. I seriously can't wait for Andrade vs Fenix, two of the best luchadors in the world (and two of my favorite guys in the company) being given a showcase because they can't be on the PPV... I hope they're going to want to remind everyone what they're missing out on. Pretty sure it's going on first, someone said they're going to stream the entrances on YouTube. Let's go boys.

I could see him being a freelancer. Definitely dream match status.

AAA is tweaking. Andrade vs Ospreay would’ve been amazing.

I really like United Empire even though AEW is making them look like a jobber stable.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #331 on: June 24, 2022, 07:47:04 PM »
Does NJPW need AEW?
or does AEW need NJPW?

I don’t think AEW needs to do it, but it’s owner is a huge fan of pro wrestling and operates on a “what would be cool for fans” mindset rather than WWE trying to dry fuck synergy at all times

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #332 on: June 24, 2022, 08:16:31 PM »
Expand Quote

That would be sick.
[close]

That would be sick. I think Thatch is in NOAH right now though so I'm not sure how that would work with it being an NJPW show, but I know Japanese promotion relations are nowhere near as bitter as they used to be so maybe it could work, especially if he's technically a freelancer.

I actually set an alarm for Rampage tonight haha. I seriously can't wait for Andrade vs Fenix, two of the best luchadors in the world (and two of my favorite guys in the company) being given a showcase because they can't be on the PPV... I hope they're going to want to remind everyone what they're missing out on. Pretty sure it's going on first, someone said they're going to stream the entrances on YouTube. Let's go boys.

Edit: Holy fuck Fenix is unbelievable, that stalled springboard dropkick was just beautiful and Andrade might be one of the best at continuing to sell while getting in position for the next spot. Glad they gave them a full 20 and despite the overbooked finish I enjoyed it but I'm pretty fucking biased. Dear Tony, please give the Lucha Bros some wins.

If that match doesn’t get a Meltzer 5-star…

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #333 on: June 25, 2022, 12:52:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

That would be sick.
[close]

Edit: Holy fuck Fenix is unbelievable, that stalled springboard dropkick was just beautiful and Andrade might be one of the best at continuing to sell while getting in position for the next spot. Glad they gave them a full 20 and despite the overbooked finish I enjoyed it but I'm pretty fucking biased. Dear Tony, please give the Lucha Bros some wins.
[close]

Haha he probably will just because he's an AEW mark but in all honesty I'd give it 4. For as good as that was I'm confident they could do better. Lucha Underground and some of the early AEW Lucha Bros vs Young Bucks/omega, SCU, and private party stuff really opened my eyes to how high the ceiling is for Fenix. The fucked up part is I always assumed they didn't push him because of the language barrier, but he's actually easier to understand than Andrade and he seems to be just fine cutting a promo in English.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #334 on: June 25, 2022, 06:48:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

That would be sick.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Haha he probably will just because he's an AEW mark but in all honesty I'd give it 4. For as good as that was I'm confident they could do better. Lucha Underground and some of the early AEW Lucha Bros vs Young Bucks/omega, SCU, and private party stuff really opened my eyes to how high the ceiling is for Fenix. The fucked up part is I always assumed they didn't push him because of the language barrier, but he's actually easier to understand than Andrade and he seems to be just fine cutting a promo in English.

Death Triangle is great. AEW does stables well for the most part. Only complaint is the lack of cohesiveness.

And speaking of stables, why did Brian Cage come back unheralded looking like a jabroni in Tully’s new stable?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #335 on: June 25, 2022, 12:03:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

That would be sick.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Death Triangle is great. AEW does stables well for the most part. Only complaint is the lack of cohesiveness.

And speaking of stables, why did Brian Cage come back unheralded looking like a jabroni in Tully’s new stable?

A too-early ROH teaser

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #336 on: June 25, 2022, 12:58:16 PM »
So I've heard that Cage is not well liked backstage by some of the people in power (and by many accounts he is in fact an arrogant meathead), plus there was the shit with his wife last time around. I think I remember something about people don't want to work with him because he's unsafe as well but that might have been someone else. He was also probably trying to get more money but he has no real negotiating power since he's so juiced up even Vince won't touch him

He's kind of the same thing as Luchasaurus I guess... If you put him with someone charismatic and just let him do hot tags and high spots he's fine but I don't think he's going to get over on his own. He seems to have hit a hard ceiling at the "spot monkey" stage of development haha. He did, somehow, look even bigger during that promo though. I would love to see him take a piss test just for lols.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #337 on: June 25, 2022, 02:16:11 PM »
So I've heard that Cage is not well liked backstage by some of the people in power (and by many accounts he is in fact an arrogant meathead), plus there was the shit with his wife last time around. I think I remember something about people don't want to work with him because he's unsafe as well but that might have been someone else. He was also probably trying to get more money but he has no real negotiating power since he's so juiced up even Vince won't touch him

He's kind of the same thing as Luchasaurus I guess... If you put him with someone charismatic and just let him do hot tags and high spots he's fine but I don't think he's going to get over on his own. He seems to have hit a hard ceiling at the "spot monkey" stage of development haha. He did, somehow, look even bigger during that promo though. I would love to see him take a piss test just for lols.

Yeah seems tailor made for WWE, but they even fucked up Karrion Kross and Scarlett who are seemed perfect for them.   

I remember seeing some Young Bucks IG the west coast wrestlers at a diner and Cage had a bowl of like 10 hard boiled eggs he was working through and it made me laugh.   (Also I think he’s a right winger with no redeemable talent qualities to offset those views)

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #338 on: June 25, 2022, 03:01:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah seems tailor made for WWE, but they even fucked up Karrion Kross and Scarlett who are seemed perfect for them.   

I remember seeing some Young Bucks IG the west coast wrestlers at a diner and Cage had a bowl of like 10 hard boiled eggs he was working through and it made me laugh.   (Also I think he’s a right winger with no redeemable talent qualities to offset those views)

He’s got a decent kickflip though. 😂

I think he’s a way better performer than Wardlow. Tully’s stable would be great for 3-minute Warning beatdown spots.

I’m kinda heated Swerve and Keith Lee are only on the buy-in show tomorrow.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #339 on: June 25, 2022, 03:21:57 PM »
Eh, I'm on the Wardlow bandwagon ever since the face of the revolution and Punk matches. They've done a great job of masking his shortcomings and accentuating what he does well. It's going to be interesting to see where he ends up without MJF because there's definitely a shelf life to a gimmick that boils down to "Ryback, but cool". He's another one that you can see Vince getting the meat sweats just thinking about too.

I understand both positions on the Swerve thing. The angle is kinda treading water so maybe this will be the implosion, or they may save it for after FD. I don't really mind since the card is so packed as is, although Swerve vs Despe could be interesting.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #340 on: June 25, 2022, 03:42:15 PM »
Eh, I'm on the Wardlow bandwagon ever since the face of the revolution and Punk matches. They've done a great job of masking his shortcomings and accentuating what he does well. It's going to be interesting to see where he ends up without MJF because there's definitely a shelf life to a gimmick that boils down to "Ryback, but cool". He's another one that you can see Vince getting the meat sweats just thinking about too.

I understand both positions on the Swerve thing. The angle is kinda treading water so maybe this will be the implosion, or they may save it for after FD. I don't really mind since the card is so packed as is, although Swerve vs Despe could be interesting.

I feel like MJF carried that feud. MJF is my favorite wrestler on the AEW roster and the character I find most relatable.

I was at AEW Dynamite Grand Slam in Queens and got lots of dirty looks for cheering for MJF and chanting “Let’s go jobber” at Brian Pillman Jr (His dad is still one of my top 5 performers of all-time).

I love Swerve’s psychotic trap rapper/producer gimmick. I wish they’d bring Hit Row back, that was a great stable.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #341 on: June 26, 2022, 03:53:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel like MJF carried that feud. MJF is my favorite wrestler on the AEW roster and the character I find most relatable.

I was at AEW Dynamite Grand Slam in Queens and got lots of dirty looks for cheering for MJF and chanting “Let’s go jobber” at Brian Pillman Jr (His dad is still one of my top 5 performers of all-time).

I love Swerve’s psychotic trap rapper/producer gimmick. I wish they’d bring Hit Row back, that was a great stable.

Oh if you go back a few pages you'll see how high I am on MJF. He's absolutely the most talented promo we've seen in decades and if he keeps it up he's going down with Flair, Piper, and Jake as an all timer in that regard. I am a complete and utter mark as soon as I hear his music hit and if this whole pipe bomb thing does end up with him winning the belt it's going down as one of the best storylines I've ever experienced.

MJF unquestionably carried the story, but I thought Wardlow played his part very well and I actually legit popped when he jumped up on the ladder to powerbomb Starks, though he kinda kid gloved the actual slam unfortunately. He reminds me of Batista and I'm sure that's not an accident because every time he does a shoot interview he talks about how much he loves the man attached to the most talked about dick in wrestling (at least until Joey Ryan came along! Hi-yooo! ). He needs to slow down a little bit and get some more experience but I think there's something there.

You should talk to our resident babyface champ @SHAQUEEFA about Flyin' Brian, that's one of his boys too. He even has cincy colored Zubaz pants, and he seems like the kinda dude who would wear them to family functions. I watched superbrawl 2 the other night and had totally forgotten that Pillman vs Jushin Thunder Liger was the opener. That match was at least 5 years ahead of its time and its kind of hilarious that it goes from that to like Van Hammer and fucking Tom Zenk (who the fuck thought z-man was a good nickname? might as well have called him khum) against Ricky Morton and Kevin Nash in a suit, which looked like something that a 5 year old would have with his wrestling buddy.

Swerve is fucking awesome in the ring and very easy to cheer against. Have you ever seen his stuff as Killshot in Lucha Underground? There's a wild ass deathmatch against AR fox that actually tells a really good story and was responsible for that scar you see on his back nowadays.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #342 on: June 26, 2022, 09:37:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Oh if you go back a few pages you'll see how high I am on MJF. He's absolutely the most talented promo we've seen in decades and if he keeps it up he's going down with Flair, Piper, and Jake as an all timer in that regard. I am a complete and utter mark as soon as I hear his music hit and if this whole pipe bomb thing does end up with him winning the belt it's going down as one of the best storylines I've ever experienced.

MJF unquestionably carried the story, but I thought Wardlow played his part very well and I actually legit popped when he jumped up on the ladder to powerbomb Starks, though he kinda kid gloved the actual slam unfortunately. He reminds me of Batista and I'm sure that's not an accident because every time he does a shoot interview he talks about how much he loves the man attached to the most talked about dick in wrestling (at least until Joey Ryan came along! Hi-yooo! ). He needs to slow down a little bit and get some more experience but I think there's something there.

You should talk to our resident babyface champ @SHAQUEEFA about Flyin' Brian, that's one of his boys too. He even has cincy colored Zubaz pants, and he seems like the kinda dude who would wear them to family functions. I watched superbrawl 2 the other night and had totally forgotten that Pillman vs Jushin Thunder Liger was the opener. That match was at least 5 years ahead of its time and its kind of hilarious that it goes from that to like Van Hammer and fucking Tom Zenk (who the fuck thought z-man was a good nickname? might as well have called him khum) against Ricky Morton and Kevin Nash in a suit, which looked like something that a 5 year old would have with his wrestling buddy.

Swerve is fucking awesome in the ring and very easy to cheer against. Have you ever seen his stuff as Killshot in Lucha Underground? There's a wild ass deathmatch against AR fox that actually tells a really good story and was responsible for that scar you see on his back nowadays.

MJF should not go to WWE, his character would be watered down so much. He’s an Attitude Era guy and would’ve been perfect for them in 1997, not now. I love  that he’s the guy who stays in character 24/7, much like The Loose Cannon.

Brian Pillman started to click for me when he turned heel and teamed with Steve Austin in the Hollywood Blondes. Horseman Pillman is where it really came together. I caught his ECW debut promo on its original broadcast back in the day.

Swerve is brilliant in the ring and with psychology and character work. He’s everything we wished Velveteen Dream could have been. He’s got great finishers too.

Shame Patrick Clark and Scurll had to be kooks, they had such promising careers.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #343 on: June 26, 2022, 04:59:14 PM »
Hahaha Danhausen just debuted a new Ass Boys theme song on the buy-in. It's definitely going to be a crowd favorite.

I'm going to try to stay up for the whole thing but I don't see me making it the whole way. I'll probably watch whatever I miss tomorrow when I get up. Not happy that Hikuleo isn't wrestling now but I watched the buy in and my first stoned musing is

- Why does Yoshi Hashi always look like he just ran a mile?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #344 on: June 26, 2022, 05:01:13 PM »
I’m calling it… ZSJ vs Killer Kross. That’s his outline in the vs screen.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #345 on: June 26, 2022, 05:09:52 PM »
Of course Jericho's narcissistic ass has to be the first thing we see haha. That Kaze Ni Nare was so fucking good, I'm pumped now.

Edit: Holy fuck that's a hot crowd. No way they can keep this energy up but goddamn does it feel good to see a big American crowd chanting Suzuki's name.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #346 on: June 26, 2022, 06:16:18 PM »
Orange Cassidy is reporting a new entrance song today…well, not technically new if know what I mean

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #347 on: June 26, 2022, 06:25:41 PM »
It's STING!!!

great Kaze Ni nare, my NJPW favourites Ishii and Naito are both injured and resting so not the dream card I'd hoped for. Omega is my favourite all time in both promotions so I hope there's another joint show. Omega vs Okada on American soil would be the things dreams are made of
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #348 on: June 26, 2022, 07:18:46 PM »
THE FUCKIN WRESTLER SHIBATA!!
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #349 on: June 26, 2022, 07:40:33 PM »
“He’s a pro wrestler and not a sports entertainer.”

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #350 on: June 26, 2022, 07:42:28 PM »
“He’s a pro wrestler and not a sports entertainer.”

Shibata and Cesaro should both be in BCC

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #351 on: June 27, 2022, 06:54:30 AM »
Wow. I actually made it the whole way, but just barely. That ended up being better than I thought it would although things got a little fucky at the end with Cole's injury and Rosa laying yet another PPV crowd killer down. It was unbelievably high level wrestling though, there was barely a rest hold all night and few noticeable botches which is wild given the amount of tech spots there were. Actually it was good enough that I barely took notes...this is all I had.

- Eddie Kingston's gut is a non-Newtonian fluid.
- Jeff Cobb's powerbomb is straight out of the N64 games
- I fucking love Sting
- Can't believe I'm seeing Shibata on a US PPV.
- Moxley is such a carny that he bladed on a move that made no contact with his forehead in a match that did not need blood.

I watched a PPV from 87 the other night that had JR and Tony calling a Sting match. They've been doing this as long as I've been alive and I'm not a young man. When I was a little kid like 5-6 years old wrestling became my favorite thing in the world and Sting was my favorite WCW guy by far. I cut my hair like him, I wore neon pants to the first day of kindergarten because of him, all that stuff. The fact that last night he was able to take me back to that same place... Even if it was just for a moment or two... its just beyond words. He looked amazing, not just the cross body but his sit out senton and stinger splash were vintage and I got absolutely giddy when he did the surfer Sting no-sell/hulk up/scream.

Genuinely surprised PAC won. I thought Miro was going to take that for sure @SHAQUEEFA I cracked up thinking about you when they did the mist spot. I hope it didn't ruin the night for you.

Please get the belt off Rosa. She just isn't good enough either in the ring or on the mic to make these matches interesting to me. Toni's offense looks really weak outside the "I wish it was me" hip smash.

The FTR injury thing was weird, I'm assuming that was a spot designed to draw what Scott Steiner calls "simpy", but it looks pretty awkward now with how the Cole match ended. Personally wish UE had won, I'm convinced Jeff Cobb is the result of Rhyno touring the islands in his youth.

Mox - Tana was good enough but honestly I'm getting sick of Mox bleeding in every match. He's just bleeding for the sake of bleeding, it didn't really add anything here and it's starting to get into poison most territory of overused.

Ospreay and OC was better than I thought it would be but Andrade would have still been better. There's sooooo many Ospreay dream matches that are possible if he sticks around.

Also thought it was pretty hilarious that after everyone shit on Booker T for "body shaming" Adam Cole by saying he needs to put on some weight or he's going to keep getting hurt, he goes out and gets hurt again and completely proves his point.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff as I'm still kinda brain dead from last night but overall it was a hell of a good show. Hopefully they do it again and don't have to rebook half the card last minute.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 07:18:31 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #352 on: June 27, 2022, 10:31:39 AM »
Hah I don’t think there’s enough weight you can put on to stop a concussion though

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: June 27, 2022, 10:50:30 PM »
Hah I don’t think there’s enough weight you can put on to stop a concussion though

No, but at any rate he needs to change something because he's just not built to take bumps as is. I think he hurt his back or shoulder too, so he's probably going to be out for a minute and all the charisma and perfectly timed super kicks in the world means nothing if you're on the shelf every few months. I don't know what they bill him at but I'd say as someone of a similar size and build he's 175-180 lbs at most right now which is maybe doable if you're compact and shredded, but he's not and has gotten noticeably smaller and less defined since he left WWE and NJPW. We've already seen that he's capable of looking good, and staying healthy, he just isn't doing the work anymore for whatever reason.

Like I can buy this dude  -

But I really struggle to take this one seriously

I think it really stood out for me against 10 and guys like that who are billed at 230-240 but absolutely dwarf Cole in the ring. It's not like he's Marko Stunt or anything, but it definitely takes me out of the moment because they book Cole to hang with these dudes by doing 15 super kicks and never lose. I don't dislike him and I'd love to see him in the right spot but this booking is pretty terrible.

Anyways it was a hell of a show. Still amazed it turned out so well. I went back to rewatch some of the stuff I hadn't paid super close attention to and I can honestly say that with the exception of Rosa vs Toni and the 4 way that ended prematurely every match delivered. Without the high of the "surprise" entrance ZSJ vs Claudio kind of dragged on, but overall everyone delivered and it was apparently successful enough that NJPW wants to do one overseas now. Not sure what kind of timeline they're thinking but could it be Omegas return show perhaps?

Oh and the rumor mill is cooking again... The old rape allegations from the first female WWF ref that Vince buried with his money (back when you could still do that) have resurfaced in light of the recent revelations. Sounds like this is probably a pattern of behaviour and I would not be surprised if more people come forward. Guess we're going to get to see if McDeavitt can conjure up any more of his completely devoid of morality and humanity "old school" lawyer tricks in this century.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #355 on: June 28, 2022, 10:21:23 AM »
https://socalskateshop.com/Deathwish-Darby-Allin-Guest-Collab-Gold-Deathspray-Skateboard-Deck-8-25x31-5.html#!?cc_decks=124827&c=cc_grip-tape

Anyone else getting one?

I thought about it, but I grabbed a Skate Mental instead. Maybe if it’s still at that shop next time I walk in.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #356 on: June 28, 2022, 07:19:31 PM »

I thought about it, but I grabbed a Skate Mental instead. Maybe if it’s still at that shop next time I walk in.

I have a couple SM decks. I don't care if Staaba is a kook I'm always going to have some affinity for a company that makes juvenile humor a core part of their identity haha.

I actually prefer short 8.25s and I've skated the deathwish shape a few times so this is perfect, although I'm probably just going to look at it for now. Their mold is pretty steep (especially ones from the top of the stack) and I have old legs so I have to really be feeling it to get going but I would have skated the shit out of them if they were around when I was a kid. The birdhouse 8.25 is still better though.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #357 on: June 28, 2022, 08:29:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a couple SM decks. I don't care if Staaba is a kook I'm always going to have some affinity for a company that makes juvenile humor a core part of their identity haha.

I actually prefer short 8.25s and I've skated the deathwish shape a few times so this is perfect, although I'm probably just going to look at it for now. Their mold is pretty steep (especially ones from the top of the stack) and I have old legs so I have to really be feeling it to get going but I would have skated the shit out of them if they were around when I was a kid. The birdhouse 8.25 is still better though.

I grabbed a Koston 8.25 with a 14 wb.

Can’t wait for the continuation of Claudio vs Kingston.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #358 on: June 29, 2022, 01:33:45 AM »
And Yuta vs Daniel Garcia feud is starting to pick up as seen on dark

Also, all you sky blue fans, surprised you haven’t been talking more about Ashley d’amboise

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #359 on: June 29, 2022, 07:08:47 AM »
And Yuta vs Daniel Garcia feud is starting to pick up as seen on dark

Also, all you sky blue fans, surprised you haven’t been talking more about Ashley d’amboise

I love how IWC marks hate on Garcia so much. I’m a fan of the guy, even if I do call his current stable the Jobber Appreciation Society.

He’s the Aurelien Giraud of professional wrestling.