Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 40914 times)

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #420 on: July 10, 2022, 05:38:07 AM »
Full disclosure I'm not a wrestling guy so maybe this is already known - but at the recent NHL draft the head coach of the Canucks, Bruce Boudreau, was set up to meet one of his favorite wrestlers and his reaction and their chat was so damn cute/fun/joyful. Not sure if this would have got any airplay in the States so here's a link with a vid embedded (also has a quick clip of him being asked about wresting during an NHL interview).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ca.sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/bruce-boudreau-shocked-to-meet-favourite-wrestler-at-nhl-draft-205845115.html

Have a great weekend everyone.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Baglady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #421 on: July 10, 2022, 09:30:01 AM »
Full disclosure I'm not a wrestling guy so maybe this is already known - but at the recent NHL draft the head coach of the Canucks, Bruce Boudreau, was set up to meet one of his favorite wrestlers and his reaction and their chat was so damn cute/fun/joyful. Not sure if this would have got any airplay in the States so here's a link with a vid embedded (also has a quick clip of him being asked about wresting during an NHL interview).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ca.sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/bruce-boudreau-shocked-to-meet-favourite-wrestler-at-nhl-draft-205845115.html

How genuine his reaction. Kevin owens seems very down to earth. Haha dudes coworkers seemed to downplay his true passion and he’s just stuck as an NHL commentator as a job.
Dude was as red as tomato 🤣

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #422 on: July 10, 2022, 05:52:56 PM »

Hahahaha this is awesome. Thanks. Boudreau impressions and jokes were the hottest thing around Pittsburgh for a while after the Pens vs Caps 24/7 so this is hilarious. There was like a month where you couldn't mention donuts or ice cream without a bunch of high pitched fucks thrown in.

Love KO. I know you said you're not a wrestling guy, but I assume you're aware of Stone Cold Steve Austin and how big of a deal he is? This is the guy who he chose to come out of retirement to wrestle at this year's Wrestlemania and they put on a match that was far better than it had any right to be.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #423 on: July 10, 2022, 09:09:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hahahaha this is awesome. Thanks. Boudreau impressions and jokes were the hottest thing around Pittsburgh for a while after the Pens vs Caps 24/7 so this is hilarious. There was like a month where you couldn't mention donuts or ice cream without a bunch of high pitched fucks thrown in.

Love KO. I know you said you're not a wrestling guy, but I assume you're aware of Stone Cold Steve Austin and how big of a deal he is? This is the guy who he chose to come out of retirement to wrestle at this year's Wrestlemania and they put on a match that was far better than it had any right to be.

Yep, I know SCSA, but didn't know he still was in the business - as now he's doing laundry commercials (albeit clever ones).

Bruce Boudreau just seems like an all around awesome guy. Glad you got a kick out of the clip.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #424 on: July 10, 2022, 11:03:02 PM »
Is there any examples of a jobber shooting on a big dog?  I always felt bad for those guys…..

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #425 on: July 11, 2022, 12:22:25 AM »
Is there any examples of a jobber shooting on a big dog?  I always felt bad for those guys…..

Closest I can think is a contestant on Tough Enough putting Kurt Angle in a legit hold on Smackdown

http://youtu.be/ewQZR2ecN4U

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #426 on: July 11, 2022, 02:00:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yep, I know SCSA, but didn't know he still was in the business - as now he's doing laundry commercials (albeit clever ones).

Bruce Boudreau just seems like an all around awesome guy. Glad you got a kick out of the clip.

Hahaha SCSA isn't really in the business proper anymore, but one of the interesting things about his career was that no one really knew that his match against the Rock at Wrestlemania 03 was going to be his last match. He was pretty much forced into retirement by neck problems and didn't get the flowers and tears send-off he deserved. 

Coming into this year's Wrestlemania it was believed that his neck is still pretty fucked and WWE was deliberately vague about his appearance (they only advertised it as a "segment with Stone Cold") so even up to the night of the match there was a sizeable part of the crowd that didn't believe he was actually going to wrestle. When he walked through the curtain and everyone realized that he was wearing his knee braces and thus likely to get physical the crowd went absolutely bonkers. Even at that point I think most of us were expecting him to do a couple stunners, drink some beers, ask for a few hell yeahs, and call it day. What we got was a full 10 minute throwback to the attitude era, complete with a brawl through the crowd, and some of the most fun I've had watching wrestling.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #427 on: July 11, 2022, 06:08:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hahaha SCSA isn't really in the business proper anymore, but one of the interesting things about his career was that no one really knew that his match against the Rock at Wrestlemania 03 was going to be his last match. He was pretty much forced into retirement by neck problems and didn't get the flowers and tears send-off he deserved. 

Coming into this year's Wrestlemania it was believed that his neck is still pretty fucked and WWE was deliberately vague about his appearance (they only advertised it as a "segment with Stone Cold") so even up to the night of the match there was a sizeable part of the crowd that didn't believe he was actually going to wrestle. When he walked through the curtain and everyone realized that he was wearing his knee braces and thus likely to get physical the crowd went absolutely bonkers. Even at that point I think most of us were expecting him to do a couple stunners, drink some beers, ask for a few hell yeahs, and call it day. What we got was a full 10 minute throwback to the attitude era, complete with a brawl through the crowd, and some of the most fun I've had watching wrestling.

Dont forget Stone Cold was supposed to job to Brock on an episode of Smackdown and he walked out because he thought it was stupid to waste the match on TV and that kinda ruined his relationship with WWE for a bit

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #428 on: July 12, 2022, 01:10:59 AM »
Just watched elevation. Emo Julia Hart is ridiculously hot. She still kinda sucked, but it was a squash match. I'm assuming that it was even worse than we saw because it seemed like they chose their shots very selectively on some spots. Welp, there's still loads of time but it wasn't a promising start from an in ring perspective. The character is better for sure though.

JD Drake is the wish.com version of Kevin Owens. Hell of a hand though, I would give him a job if I had a territory.

Colin Delaney got an inexplicably big pop. Ethan Page is such a great old school heel. Maniacally shit talking individual members of the crowd while beating someone up is great. Brutal finisher too.

Phantasma Del Mar

• Rep: 7
« Reply #429 on: July 12, 2022, 03:38:22 PM »
Do any of you guys collect wrestling shit? I'd love to see some sick displays. I'll take some photos of my shit to post as well. My prized wrestling possession is probably a carded OG New Jack ECW figure that he signed for me maybe a month before he died. He was the scariest gentlemen I ever met.

RAW is in Tampa next week and I'm debating heavily if I even want to go. Could probably get in free. Last year at Wrestlemania I hung out afterwards with my rolling rack and about 50 wrestling tees. Ended up making enough money for a nice little post Wrestlemania strip club visit. I'll probably just do that and save myself the agony of actually having to watch an entire RAW.

I have got some AEW figures collected (Orange, Anna Jay, Tay, Kris Statlander, Shida, Lucha Bros, Hangman, Darby, Mox, Luchasaurus) so far that is the only display I have! Had to take Anna Jay out of box to get the cards insides. Only kept them in box since I regret taking my old ECW figs out. Only one pack so far but I got some AEW cards and posted some old wcw ones a while pack in this thread. Also posted my Legion of Doom hat and old WWF program in this thread and my Bret Hart sunglasses on page 10 in the post your fit thread. When I display more stuff, I’ll share. Have a lot of old figs and I’m glad to see I’m not the only one! Seeing mentions of New Jack and Galoob Ron Simmons takes me back

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #430 on: July 12, 2022, 08:06:26 PM »
Since you all were talking about Stone Cold I've got to drop what is my probably biggest wrestling flex. The first live wrestling show I got to see in person was KOTR 96 where Austin won and cut the first Austin 3:16 promo. I was 11 and did yard work to make money and buy two tickets at $15 a pop for my dad and I to go.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #431 on: July 12, 2022, 08:25:59 PM »
Since you all were talking about Stone Cold I've got to drop what is my probably biggest wrestling flex. The first live wrestling show I got to see in person was KOTR 96 where Austin won and cut the first Austin 3:16 promo. I was 11 and did yard work to make money and buy two tickets at $15 a pop for my dad and I to go.

Wouldn't have been my first, but my cousin got us tickets to KOTR 98 in Pittsburgh. I got in trouble for something or other and got grounded to my room for my entire summer vacation, so the PPV (and the $70 I had saved for the ticket) was out. That was, of course, the night that Taker threw Mankind off the cell. Its one of the things I still haven't forgiven my father for.

Wait actually I just realized you have a connection to that moment too. 96 KOTR had the match where Mankind actually beat Taker for the first time iirc. That was one of the matches that really put Mankind over as a threat and made everyone stick their fingers in their mouth and try to paralyze themselves.

So weird how there was those little threads of what would become one of the biggest boom periods in wrestling mixed in with like the body donna's vs the new rockers. Fun fact - two of the guys you saw that night, Goldust and Billy Gunn, are still actively wrestling at a high level in AEW. Billy's sons (the ass boys) are one of the up and coming tag teams in the promotion and he's heavily involved in their storyline. Dustin (Goldust) just pops up from time to time, has an incredible match, then goes back to running his wrestling school.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 08:54:30 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #432 on: July 12, 2022, 10:01:11 PM »
Orange vs Wardlow is a must watch tonight bc I can’t figure how they book it.  (If this was WWE I know how they’d do it)

Also, cool that the Mid Atlantic belt looks like a traveling belt to be defended in different promotions

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #433 on: July 13, 2022, 12:36:22 AM »
I watched RAW the other night and didn’t realize just how bad it got.

Damian Priest is awful and the Bloodline is stale.

Anyone catch the A&E specials?
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #434 on: July 13, 2022, 02:32:17 AM »
Nah I can’t watch any wrestling doc that WWE produces.   It’s such fiction

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #435 on: July 13, 2022, 02:52:49 AM »
Orange vs Wardlow is a must watch tonight bc I can’t figure how they book it.  (If this was WWE I know how they’d do it)

Also, cool that the Mid Atlantic belt looks like a traveling belt to be defended in different promotions

I'm gonna watch dark when I go back inside, but I kinda got that impression too. I read someone speculating that it's basically to both test the waters for moving overseas and to give PAC and others who don't want to move to the states something to fight over. Its kinda cool that our modern indy scene is starting to kind of resemble the territories in some ways, like you can actually have a touring champ who's a big star again. I just hope this isn't going to be one of those things where they came up with a belt with a particular guy in mind and then it becomes basically forgotten about after they lose it or leave.

Wardlow vs OC is definitely interesting because Tony doesn't usually book fuck finishes. He seems to prefer the pander bear route, especially at these feature shows, so maybe they do something with Smart Mark interference and them uniting to fuck him up. Or maybe they have a totally unexpected run-in and start a new angle?

This card is fairly stacked... We're also getting Mox vs Takeshita and Claudio vs Hager plus the 3 way tag. There's also Serena Deeb vs Anna Jay, hopefully Anna will have a good match. I don't see any way she wins but hopefully it's not just a 4 minute squash.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #436 on: July 13, 2022, 03:05:04 AM »

Every time I try to watch raw or SD I'm just baffled by how people watch it. I guess a lot of their crowd is either kids too young to know or remember there's alternatives out there or older/more boomerish folks who resist change in any form. Last time I saw one of those ratings with the demo breakdowns there was a really surprising amount of retiree aged fans.

Haven't watched any of the bios except part of the Foley one. It's definitely puffball but I still enjoyed what I saw.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 32
« Reply #437 on: July 13, 2022, 09:10:45 AM »
I watched the "Rivals" doc for Bret v. Shawn and didn't learn a damn thing it was the exact same quotes and stories from every other doc that covers the Screwjob.

Looking forward to Dynamite but already dragging ass at work.

And I'm pissed because I usually really like the Meatball Sub from Subway and today it was trash. I could tell when the kid was making it that it wasn't going to be good.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #438 on: July 13, 2022, 12:46:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Every time I try to watch raw or SD I'm just baffled by how people watch it. I guess a lot of their crowd is either kids too young to know or remember there's alternatives out there or older/more boomerish folks who resist change in any form. Last time I saw one of those ratings with the demo breakdowns there was a really surprising amount of retiree aged fans.

Haven't watched any of the bios except part of the Foley one. It's definitely puffball but I still enjoyed what I saw.

The Undertaker one was really good. They talked about him getting scammed by Buzz Sawyer and how Heyman set the meeting up with Vince to meet Mark Callaway while they were both still under contract with WCW.

Oh, and Ole Anderson is an idiot (but his shoot interviews are entertaining).

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #439 on: July 13, 2022, 03:50:02 PM »
https://www.si.com/.amp/wrestling/2022/07/12/vince-mcmahon-misconduct-allegations-wwe-future

I’m thinking Vince McMahon’s mystery woman is Mae Young…

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #440 on: July 13, 2022, 05:09:34 PM »
Isn’t it refreshing Wardlow doesn’t use the spear

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #441 on: July 13, 2022, 08:18:48 PM »
Isn’t it refreshing Wardlow doesn’t use the spear

That being said, Ricky Starks owns that move

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #442 on: July 13, 2022, 11:27:33 PM »
Holy fuck Wardlow looks like a star. That was such good shit pal! There was maybe a bit too much gaga but I still laughed at the Danhausen spot. Wardlow's selling impressed the hell out of me and I really liked the finish. I hadn't even considered that he doesn't do a spear but now that you mention it, I do really like that. Refreshing, as you said Atiba.

Anyone catch Christians tron saying "worked everyone."? He really has taken MJF's gimmick...I also love that the worst thing he was willing to say about Pillman Sr. was that he might be overrated.

Anyone else feel like Castagnioli's song doesn't fit him? I guess I just don't like Claudio's audio.

Anna Jay looked better but they need to stop jobbing her out at some point. Like you let her lock in her finish middle of the ring and Deeb just calmly breaks out of it and beats her? Why would I want to watch that match again?

Tag match was fun but I don't know if I would call it good. I'm glad they put the a belt on Keith Lee though.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #443 on: July 13, 2022, 11:44:23 PM »
Claudio will take time to get the WWE stink off of him the same way Danielson needed a little time for me to get used to him not being Daniel Bryan

Agree about Jay.   Seeds were planted with her turning heel/leaving DO with Tay so hopefully that leads to her doing something more.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #444 on: July 14, 2022, 12:33:12 AM »
Damnnnn. How can you not like this guy? Everyone should have a friend like Keith Lee.

https://youtu.be/hAp6UfTbeCE

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 32
« Reply #445 on: July 15, 2022, 05:34:32 AM »
I'll be your Keith Lee. Hit me up if you ever having trouble.

I took some photos of my wrestling collection yesterday, I'll get them up soon.

Fell asleep during the entrances to the Claudio/ Hager match.

Even though I like Swerve/Lee, I just think Young Bucks should be dominating right now to set up a big match with FTR. Maybe a "four corners tag title belts on a pole match" with a set of tag titles on a ten foot pole in each corner. The match wouldn't be over until all four sets of belts are retrieved. It could get kinda fucky but it could end with each team with two sets of belts that sets up a final battle for all the gold.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #446 on: July 15, 2022, 04:21:28 PM »

Even though I like Swerve/Lee, I just think Young Bucks should be dominating right now to set up a big match with FTR. Maybe a "four corners tag title belts on a pole match" with a set of tag titles on a ten foot pole in each corner. The match wouldn't be over until all four sets of belts are retrieved. It could get kinda fucky but it could end with each team with two sets of belts that sets up a final battle for all the gold.

Aww thanks dude thats actually cool as hell of you.

I kinda feel you about the Bucks, but I have a feeling they basically just booked themselves into the spot the Hardys were supposed to be in (basically transitional champions) after the Jeff thing and as much as I hate to say it I feel like giving the belts to Keith and Swerve is a sympathy move so Keith can take the belt home to his sick friend. I have to imagine that FTR knock off the Briscoes and then somehow circle back around to the bucks to set up the showdown match.

I know people are clamoring for Starks and Hobbs too but I feel like it's not their time yet. If they get the belts now they'll hold them for like 2 weeks.

I'm pretty pumped for this barbed wire match. The last one was good up until the botched explosion and I feel like they'll try to top it. I'm sure Jericho has some elaborate but super safe spot like jumping onto an airbag planned.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #447 on: July 16, 2022, 01:12:19 AM »
Dude I think Brody King might be a star in the making. He's nasty stiff, like Vader level stiff. He just had another match on rampage where he kicked the shit out of the dark order and I'm really impressed with everything I've seen this dude do, including powerbombing the everloving fuck out of Darby through a table in a hot topic last week. Hopefully that rumble win is a sign of things to come and they're going to push him. I'm salivating at the thought of him vs Joe or him vs Wardlow.

I kinda wish theyd just make rampage a proper 2 hour show. Everything feels rushed and it ends right as I'm getting really into it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #448 on: July 16, 2022, 05:54:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I kinda feel you about the Bucks, but I have a feeling they basically just booked themselves into the spot the Hardys were supposed to be in (basically transitional champions) after the Jeff thing and as much as I hate to say it I feel like giving the belts to Keith and Swerve is a sympathy move so Keith can take the belt home to his sick friend. I have to imagine that FTR knock off the Briscoes and then somehow circle back around to the bucks to set up the showdown match.

I know people are clamoring for Starks and Hobbs too but I feel like it's not their time yet. If they get the belts now they'll hold them for like 2 weeks.

I'm pretty pumped for this barbed wire match. The last one was good up until the botched explosion and I feel like they'll try to top it. I'm sure Jericho has some elaborate but super safe spot like jumping onto an airbag planned.

I keep thinking they’ll find a way to do a Bucks FTR Briscos 3 way match, but maybe there is t that history there

Apparently they couldn’t do a winner takes all bc they don’t really have the say so when it comes to the Mexican belts

I hear you on rampage although I’d counter with 1.5 hr for each show. 

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #449 on: July 16, 2022, 06:25:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I keep thinking they’ll find a way to do a Bucks FTR Briscos 3 way match, but maybe there is t that history there

Apparently they couldn’t do a winner takes all bc they don’t really have the say so when it comes to the Mexican belts

I hear you on rampage although I’d counter with 1.5 hr for each show.

I can watch Briscoes promos all day.