Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 40919 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #450 on: July 16, 2022, 05:55:11 PM »
As I'm sitting here watching the rest of the stuff from Rampage I didn't watch I realized that Statlander could basically be the female Wardlow if they booked her right. Keep the promos short and infrequent and just have her fucking destroy jobbers. Also I kinda like the renegade twins... They seem like the type of memorable jobbers that pop into your head randomly 15 years later.

Also Penta is so fucking cool. Didn't understand a word of his promo and didn't care. Still got the point across. I know I'm a huge mark for the Lucha Bros but Fenix's hot tag sequence was so cool. The springboard arm drag to stomp spot was beautiful. Was nice to see them get a (really weird) win but it could have been a better match. They didn't seem to have very much chemistry and it got sloppy a couple times plus it looked like Fenix and Kassidy were stiffing each other pretty good there too, I watched him ram Fenix's face into the turnbuckle about 20 times haha.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #451 on: July 16, 2022, 06:27:03 PM »
Private Party are in need of something.   They’re kinda stagnating.    They got that huge win over the Young Bucks in that first year and then they’ve kinda fizzled as the roster has filled out.   Can’t blame the Hardy Office on them, but that’s likely a lot of they’re cooling off

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #452 on: July 16, 2022, 07:35:21 PM »
Private Party are in need of something.   They’re kinda stagnating.    They got that huge win over the Young Bucks in that first year and then they’ve kinda fizzled as the roster has filled out.   Can’t blame the Hardy Office on them, but that’s likely a lot of they’re cooling off

I think Marq Quen got hurt last year and that kind of cooled off the push along with all the AHFO shit that just got dropped basically as soon as Jeff got released from WWE.

When I go back and watch early pandemic empty building stuff they're super fun but they definitely need some refreshing. I wouldn't be against breaking them up. They've both had very good singles matches and going against each other might elevate both. I think I've mentioned this before but Quen has my favorite shooting star press since Liger.

Also I just read that Michael Elgin missed a NOAH booking because he's in jail for stealing protein powder in Japan. I can't stop laughing about it. I'm picturing this brick shit house American trying to run away with two Tubs of ico-pro while a bunch of Japanese cops chase him Benny Hill style. The music is yakkity sax but done up in that slightly racist "Oriental" style that the WWF and WCW used for all vaguely Asian wrestlers in the 80s and 90s.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #453 on: July 16, 2022, 10:02:35 PM »
Hahah or chopsticks sped up on a piano

ROH PPV shaping up nicely.   Claudio winning title belt?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #454 on: July 17, 2022, 05:41:40 PM »
Hahah or chopsticks sped up on a piano

ROH PPV shaping up nicely.   Claudio winning title belt?

I feel like they're gonna use a fuck finish to get Gresham and Tully over as heels but it wouldn't be the first time Tony let his inner Dixie out and threw everything in the lap of the new guy. As good as Claudio is I almost feel like it would be such a transparent "notice me senpai" moment that it might become an example of a belt bringing a guy down the card rather than him elevating it. Kinda like when Big Show or Matt Hardy were WWECW champions.

Kinda want FTR to lose but they're really pushing them so I doubt they will. I don't really like the whole cramming ROH matches onto AEW shows thing and I'd really prefer they keep them kind of separate entities. I know Tony loves showing off how progressive he is because he gets multiple promotions to work together but I think everyone gets it at this point. Either give them a YouTube show at universal or if you have a cable deal in the works just run spot shows until its up and running. Everything is so crowded as is and one of the cool things about ROH was the small buildings and passionate fans, so why ruin that by putting them in 10k seat buildings where half the fans don't know or care about them?

I guess I just want him to show that he's able to separate Tony the booker from Tony the supermark. If he's putting what's supposed to be a prestigious belt on a guy who just got there and moving all the titles to "AEW guys" then it really does kinda look like a billionaire playing with his real life wrestling toys.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #455 on: July 17, 2022, 09:49:33 PM »
I hear you on Claudio, but I would say the only difference between that an Big Show is Claudio has a history with ROH and he never won the belt before.     

I think I learned with Orange Osprey to give TK the benefit of the doubt.    What makes The World Title match interesting is that you could argue it either way - there isn’t a clear cut winner.   Yuta isn’t losing, FTR probably not losing, Joe is probably losing, but this one I’m so 50/50 on.

The nice thing about AEW acknowledging the world outside of his own promotion is that Claudio isn’t presented as some new guy off the street, he’s presented with his history.   So if he wins the belt right away it’s not as insulting as when other promotions do it but pretend Finn Balor is doing it in his second match ever

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #456 on: July 18, 2022, 07:17:15 AM »
Update: one of those Observer guys was hypothesizing that Claudio is basically just being slotted in where Bryan Danielson was supposed to be and they haven’t changed any story to accommodate.    Facing ZSJ then Gresham was supposed to be “the best technica wrestler” storyline for BD

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #457 on: July 18, 2022, 09:00:30 PM »
Update: one of those Observer guys was hypothesizing that Claudio is basically just being slotted in where Bryan Danielson was supposed to be and they haven’t changed any story to accommodate.    Facing ZSJ then Gresham was supposed to be “the best technica wrestler” storyline for BD

That actually makes perfect sense. They did say early on that he was the hand picked replacement and I'm fairly certain they did the same thing with the Bucks adopting the Hardyz storyline. So I guess Claudio is definitely winning this then, there's no way they'd book Gresham over BD.

I just saw the Ric Flair last match announcement. It definitely shouldn't happen, but since it's going to I guess Andrade/Lethal/Jarret is about the safest, best working combo you could ask for. Jay and Andrade can carry the match, Flair can do the promo off with Lethal, take some sympathy shots from one of the best worked punchers ever in double J and then take a hot tag to hit some chops and a figure 4 and hopefully not die in the process. I just hope his carny ass doesn't blade and try to do the turnbuckle spot.

The rest of the card is wild. Definitely a southern wrasslin flavor to it which makes sense if it's a Crockett show

Kross vs DBS Jr., Guns vs Wolves, Fatu vs Alexander, and the AAA guys all look intriguing to me. Love that they're trotting out the RnR express and Arn and made sure to put a "Von Erichs vs Briscoes" match on the card just to draw in a few dozen senile southerners who still pine for the glory days and think it's real. Thats some classic carny marketing I can get behind. I might actually watch this shit haha.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #458 on: July 19, 2022, 12:11:19 AM »
That is a fuck ton of 2nd generation+ wrestlers on that card.   

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #459 on: July 19, 2022, 01:55:58 AM »
Yeah and it's way more legit than I expected. I'm kind of surprised that the big feds are letting their guys work it. I guess Conrad called in a bunch of favors and probably assured people that they're going to keep Flair on a leash, though it looks like Tony still didn't want the AEW/ROH logo on the poster.

From what I gather I guess this is kind of an attempt at relaunching JCP with Conrad doing the promoting and maybe the booking? It would be pretty rad if they would make it modern wrestling but incorporating the heritage, like do all their shows in historic wrestling towns/venues and theme them around it. I'm thinking like an Amarillo card with a 60 minute 2 out of 3 falls mat classic like the Funks were famous for, but also a barbed wire match and 3 way ladder match like Terry was known for in his later years. It could be a cool way to revisit (and hopefully innovate on) some old storylines and match types and I think it would be really fun in places with lots of history like Portland or San Fran.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #460 on: July 19, 2022, 02:24:31 AM »
What’s the deal with this Conrad guy?   Is he cool?   I see him and this adfreeshow shit around the place but I have no idea about who he is other than he does a bunch of pods, married to someone’s daughter, and does mortgages

SHAQUEEFA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #461 on: July 19, 2022, 10:51:17 AM »
Yep, you nailed it. Podcaster, married Ric Flair's daughter (obv not Charlotte), and does mortgages.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #462 on: July 19, 2022, 10:55:16 AM »
Did anyone see how they opened RAW last night? Sent Titus out there to do some classic Vince McMahon written promos about how great WWE is and how everyone needs to be nice and how WWE does all this charity work. Basically a huge fluff for WWE to try and make the fans forget what's happening with Vince.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNalOV-ORBQ&t=9s

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #463 on: July 19, 2022, 04:09:10 PM »
Yep, you nailed it. Podcaster, married Ric Flair's daughter (obv not Charlotte), and does mortgages.

Is he seemingly a good dude or a shill?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #464 on: July 19, 2022, 09:16:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is he seemingly a good dude or a shill?

Little from column A, little from column B, but I like him. He's a mark that has more money than most old wrestlers, so he started out paying guys to come to his house and tell him stories and eventually that became podcasts. Somehow that turned into him being buddies with Flair and through him networking with anyone he wants to. Now he's married to the homely Flair daughter, has like 80 podcasts, and runs events.

Basically he kinda paid his way into the game but played it incredibly well once he was in. He's a smart dude and seems pretty cool, I don't love his hosting sometimes but I can't think of any gratuitous kook stuff off the top of my head. He's about the same age as me and watched a lot of the same stuff growing up so I tend to agree with him on a lot of stuff... he's an ECW mark and donated enough to some ECW documentary to hit the highest Kickstarter reward, so thats always gonna score points with me. Overall if I'm being honest he's kinda living the dream.

That being said, he's a fat white mortgage broker from Alabama who hangs out with a bunch of old wrestlers, so I would not trust him or be at all surprised to see him go down on some kind of embezzlement or fraud charges some day. Not like DiBiase "posing as a spiritual leader to facilitate stealing millions from welfare recepients" level scumbaggery or anything, but it just seems like being successful in his world is done through grift or deceit far more often than just working hard and following the rules.

Did anyone see how they opened RAW last night? Sent Titus out there to do some classic Vince McMahon written promos about how great WWE is and how everyone needs to be nice and how WWE does all this charity work. Basically a huge fluff for WWE to try and make the fans forget what's happening with Vince.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNalOV-ORBQ&t=9s

I've heard a lot of speculation that this is supposed to be a "get in front of the controversy" move, either just as a general PR stunt or because there might be more crazy shit coming. Are we about to see grainy footage of Vince sitting on the side of a bed saying "look pal, they're fine if they have money... Like rappers and basketball players..."?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #465 on: July 19, 2022, 10:30:37 PM »
Thanks for the heads up - never heard anything bad about Conrad but was curious if he was a Ryan Satin level of disreputable access-chaser

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #466 on: July 20, 2022, 12:08:17 PM »
OK guys! Real excited for Dynamite tonight and will try to stay awake for the barb wire match.

I took some photos of my collection. I'd love to see some others. I really want to get all the Hasbros so if you have ones I don't have and want to trade for some of my non Hasbro stuff, shoot me a message.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgPrHVNpvj3/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgPrmTjJv2g/

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #467 on: July 20, 2022, 12:12:10 PM »
Anyone watching G1 Climax?

Jeff Cobb is my new favorite wrestler now that HBK’s retired.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #468 on: July 20, 2022, 12:40:22 PM »
Thanks for the heads up - never heard anything bad about Conrad but was curious if he was a Ryan Satin level of disreputable access-chaser

I guess there's probably some parallels but the fact that he focuses so much on the classics and indys rather than just the fed makes me think he's in it more for love of wrestling than a weird social climbing or attention seeking thing like Satin. I don't listen to enough Conrad podcasts to consider myself super knowledgeable about him though, our resident cheek merchant SHAQUEEFA may have more insight.

Just semi-watched Dark (was on the phone for part of it). Pretty average episode but you do get Danhausen, Takeshita, the man Taz occasionally calls Wheela Yooter, and the highlight of the show for me was Jay Lethal as usual. There's also an ECW joke/reference in the women's tag match that got a full pop from me

There was also a new chick called J-Rod who looked like she could be something. She's tall and athletic and honestly she looked better than Mercedes at times. She also had a severe case of her ass trying to eat her trunks, so that was fun too.

@Bobby Peru your boy Ren was on again

Tonight is gonna be a banger.

- Varsity Blondes vs Christian and Luchasaurus
- Brody vs Darby is almost guaranteed to have some disgusting spots
- BCC vs Best Friends
- and of course Barbed Wire Everywhere..

No Wardlow but I did hear something about him bringing back the TNT title open challenge.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #469 on: July 20, 2022, 01:01:59 PM »
Anyone watching G1 Climax?

Jeff Cobb is my new favorite wrestler now that HBK’s retired.

Dude he popped me so fucking hard with his stealing protein powder line in a promo 2 days before the Elgin story broke.

Haven't been following the G1 as much this year, I usually watch the finals at some point though. Cobb needs to get to AEW at some point while he's still in his prime. I think I've probably mentioned this before but go watch his Lucha Underground run as Matanza Cueto if you haven't seen them. I'm pretty sure he's the offspring of Rhyno and Kimona Wannalaya, conceived high atop the ECW arena and then sent to the islands to live with his mom while Dad was out spearing people through tables.

OK guys! Real excited for Dynamite tonight and will try to stay awake for the barb wire match.

I took some photos of my collection. I'd love to see some others. I really want to get all the Hasbros so if you have ones I don't have and want to trade for some of my non Hasbro stuff, shoot me a message.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgPrHVNpvj3/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgPrmTjJv2g/

Me too haha. Haven't been this excited for a single match for a while. I already took a nap but I'm setting an alarm for 8pm and then another one for 9pm just in case. They don't have a ton scheduled so I could see them giving it like 30 mins.

Dude. Your collection is amazing. I'm not just chiefing you up because you're a pal either, I'm super fucking impressed! There's so much good shit in there I don't even know where to begin but the Barry Horowitz picture, Ramones poster w/Razor, and TNA poster all popped me. Your figs are sick too, Papa Shango is my favorite "bad" gimmick of all time, and do I see Nikolai Volkoff up there? Also all 3 members of Demolition, very tasteful.

Seriously man I would get stoned and just play with your toys for hours hahaha.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #470 on: July 20, 2022, 01:16:19 PM »
Thanks man, I've worked real hard on it. Once again, wifey allowing this type of behavior is a main reason i put a ring on it. Really amped up my hasbro collection during COVID because I was able to keep my job, get all the stimulus checks, and was killing it at online poker.

Nikolai Volkoff was a thrift store find and my homie found the TNA poster at a flea market and bought it for me for $30. Also notice it is signed by every guy on it. Some fucking LEGENDS on there.

I met Horowitz at the same meet and greet that New Jack was at. Out of all the dudes there, 3 men got my money. New Jack, Horowitz and fucking Virgil. For some reason, me and my dad always loved Barry. We would always pat each other on the back before his matches and be like "this is the one! He's gotta win this one!" I told him I remembered when he finally won a match and he laughed. He told me he had a pretty decent record at house shows but just got dogged on TV.

I also showed wifey a few old Virgil matches and then explained the "lonely Virgil" meme and she got really sad for him. His commentary on the Ted DiBiase shit is hilarious.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #471 on: July 20, 2022, 01:54:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess there's probably some parallels but the fact that he focuses so much on the classics and indys rather than just the fed makes me think he's in it more for love of wrestling than a weird social climbing or attention seeking thing like Satin. I don't listen to enough Conrad podcasts to consider myself super knowledgeable about him though, our resident cheek merchant SHAQUEEFA may have more insight.

Just semi-watched Dark (was on the phone for part of it). Pretty average episode but you do get Danhausen, Takeshita, the man Taz occasionally calls Wheela Yooter, and the highlight of the show for me was Jay Lethal as usual. There's also an ECW joke/reference in the women's tag match that got a full pop from me

There was also a new chick called J-Rod who looked like she could be something. She's tall and athletic and honestly she looked better than Mercedes at times. She also had a severe case of her ass trying to eat her trunks, so that was fun too.

- BCC vs Best Friends

No Wardlow but I did hear something about him bringing back the TNT title open challenge.

I hope Darby and Brody is the new Darby Ethan Page (they did some gnarly shit in MLW). 

Anyone have opinion on the Renegade Twins on the Dark shows.  Been hear others hype them up but I haven’t really gotten around to catching up on the YouTube shows

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #472 on: July 20, 2022, 02:07:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

- BCC vs Best Friends

[close]

I hope Darby and Brody is the new Darby Ethan Page (they did some gnarly shit in MLW). 

Anyone have opinion on the Renegade Twins on the Dark shows.  Been hear others hype them up but I haven’t really gotten around to catching up on the YouTube shows

Darby-Brody such be a good one.

Hope they don’t do Brody dirty like ROH did by having Gresham go over on him clean.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #473 on: July 20, 2022, 04:51:06 PM »
Thanks man, I've worked real hard on it. Once again, wifey allowing this type of behavior is a main reason i put a ring on it. Really amped up my hasbro collection during COVID because I was able to keep my job, get all the stimulus checks, and was killing it at online poker.

Nikolai Volkoff was a thrift store find and my homie found the TNA poster at a flea market and bought it for me for $30. Also notice it is signed by every guy on it. Some fucking LEGENDS on there.

I met Horowitz at the same meet and greet that New Jack was at. Out of all the dudes there, 3 men got my money. New Jack, Horowitz and fucking Virgil. For some reason, me and my dad always loved Barry. We would always pat each other on the back before his matches and be like "this is the one! He's gotta win this one!" I told him I remembered when he finally won a match and he laughed. He told me he had a pretty decent record at house shows but just got dogged on TV.

I also showed wifey a few old Virgil matches and then explained the "lonely Virgil" meme and she got really sad for him. His commentary on the Ted DiBiase shit is hilarious.

The stories of Virgil living in a subway (the restaurant, not the trains) and aggressively panhandling by demanding people take a picture with him and then pay him $10 for it are the stuff of legend. He is like purebred carny. I don't know if he has children but if he does I'm 100% sure he'd eat them alive for the right price, and that price is also probably depressingly low.

I think I read this in one of Foley's books but apparently Virgil has a big ol dick and used to walk around the locker room swinging it around and showing off. Then one of the Fullers got signed and showed up with an absolute cannon in his trunks and Virgil was never quite the same...

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #474 on: July 20, 2022, 04:53:23 PM »
Who’s still got their LJN figures though?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #475 on: July 20, 2022, 05:04:08 PM »
Yessssss boys and girls let's go. Darby and Brody kicking it off!

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #476 on: July 20, 2022, 06:04:40 PM »
Cole Karter’s drop kick was beautiful.

Witnessing a good drop kick is like witnessing a good tre flip.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #477 on: July 20, 2022, 06:21:50 PM »
That FTR promo was great. Dax matched Jay Briscoe’s promo intensity there.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #478 on: July 20, 2022, 07:36:30 PM »
Holy shit. A lot to get through but this is what I can remember...

Darby and Brody didn't disappoint at all. What a fucking beating. Sting still moves like he's 30 as soon as he steps through the ropes.

Christian is the fucking best. I don't like them turning Luchasaurus back already, but seeing Hungle Boy chasing Christian through the stadium while Baltimora blares was awesome.

People might be surprised at that rampage rap battle. I don't know if he's going to bust it out or just do a comedy spot but if their YouTube channel is to be believed Austin can actually rap.

Jade was fucking sick. She's getting better. The timing is still a little bit off at times but she's doing more complicated spots and sequences. Definitely giving me heel Goldberg vibes and I'm down with it. That fall away slam was fucking beautiful.

Pennsylvania Longback sighting! Was she wearing JNCOs?

Main event. Phew. Aside from them missing a sick fucking backdrop and lion tamer spot on a barbed wire table because they just had to go PIP (please give us a no commercial paid stream in the US Tony), it delivered for sure. That was gruesome, nasty, and amazing. Jericho really fucking dialed back the years there, I'm shocked at some of the spots he did. The kick out on the barbed wire was funk-esque and he looked completely in his element after that chair almost certainly broke his nose. Dude even took a barbed wire spiderweb bump after the match just for shits n giggles. I seriously think that was a legendary performance from him, I hope it doesn't get forgotten. Kingston continues to be the modern day Dusty Rhodes, hell of a gutsy performance and he definitely got fucked up worse by the wire. When he finally gets his clean win over Jericho the pop is going to be seismic.

They definitely made up for the omega match here. I'm going to watch the Fite version in the morning and see how good it is without the commercial break, but I think that might have been one of the best BW matches I've seen. Jericho is painting an absolute masterpiece for the last chapter of his in-ring career.

BTW elevation has a Thigh Blue match. It's a tag where she brings her goth friend along for an ass kicking, but man what an ass to kick...

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #479 on: July 20, 2022, 07:38:54 PM »
The  key not working made me laugh out loud on in wrasslin
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks