Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 40906 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #510 on: July 25, 2022, 09:08:55 PM »
Agreed.   The announcer style is what truly ruins WWE for me.   I did like Mauro (unpopular opinion I know) and Nigel as a team, but TAz and Excalibur when they’re goofing off is def my favorite

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #511 on: July 26, 2022, 01:51:43 AM »
Agreed.   The announcer style is what truly ruins WWE for me.   I did like Mauro (unpopular opinion I know) and Nigel as a team, but TAz and Excalibur when they’re goofing off is def my favorite

I actually like McAfee and Cole, but I'm pretty biased since McAfee is basically like listening to my big dumb Yinzer buddies call it. I would love to get him on AEW some day. I like Mauro too but he needs the right partner and situation or he can get a little too wound up and irritating. I think he's really good in like NJPW style promotions, especially with his mma credentials and knowledge.

I remember when Taz started doing commentary back in the day I thought he sucked. I don't know if he actually was that bad or I was just bitter about seeing an ECW original and favorite of mine not wrestling anymore. Him and Excalibur now are probably the most entertaining and likeable commentary duo I've heard since Joel Gertner and Joey Styles back in the later stages of ECW. I actually prefer him to Tony and JR for undercard matches, though he still can't touch them for the main event stuff.

Speaking of Joey Styles, he's probably the best overall commentator I've ever heard. Subjectively speaking he's definitely my favorite (sorry JR, you're still the GOAT). He called the bulk of prime ECW by himself and its some of the most memorable and entertaining stuff in my opinion, though im sure old guys say the same thing about like Gordon Solie and Lance Russell. I do think Styles' style holds up even today when I rewatch, actually I think part of the reason I really like Excalibur is because he reminds me of him.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #512 on: July 26, 2022, 02:12:15 AM »
Yeah I like him but Cole slips into canned WWE verbiage too much for me.   Granted I haven’t listened to them in a while so it could change. 

I know there are people like Bobby Heenan who have done it well in the past, but I can’t stand the overtly heel announcer anymore.   Taz admits his biases (when storyline appropriate - though I think Team Taz is basically done) but still gives credit where credit is due.   Corey Graves was refreshing for a nanosecond but he killed the whole enterprise for me

SHAQUEEFA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #513 on: July 26, 2022, 05:46:55 AM »
Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan will forever be my favorites. Their comedic timing was untouchable.

I really like it when Jericho gets in the booth and calls matches, he will have a place in wrestling until the day he dies. When they were running the empty arena he did such a great job filling in when needed. The shit with "Pineapple Pete" was hilarious and actually led to some unknown guy getting a little shine and a good match with Jericho.

People talking shit on Jericho for beating Kingston, but that man has been instrumental in getting a lot of dudes over and cementing big moments in important stories in the company. Him being the first champ was real smart. It brought instant credibilty to that belt and set up Hangman for one of the longest running stories in all of pro wrestling.

And all of the inner circle vignettes they did during quarantine were just funny as fuck.

Before AEW i liked him, but now he in my Mt. Rushmore. Truly a GOAT.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #514 on: July 26, 2022, 05:48:01 AM »
Oh and Buttfart, MDM wrestling buddy is tight. My parents never got me one. What a great weed hiding place!

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #515 on: July 26, 2022, 11:45:53 AM »
Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan will forever be my favorites. Their comedic timing was untouchable.

I really like it when Jericho gets in the booth and calls matches, he will have a place in wrestling until the day he dies. When they were running the empty arena he did such a great job filling in when needed. The shit with "Pineapple Pete" was hilarious and actually led to some unknown guy getting a little shine and a good match with Jericho.

People talking shit on Jericho for beating Kingston, but that man has been instrumental in getting a lot of dudes over and cementing big moments in important stories in the company. Him being the first champ was real smart. It brought instant credibilty to that belt and set up Hangman for one of the longest running stories in all of pro wrestling.

And all of the inner circle vignettes they did during quarantine were just funny as fuck.

Before AEW i liked him, but now he in my Mt. Rushmore. Truly a GOAT.

Yeah Bobby was amazing with anyone but him and Gorilla is next level. Brain's one liners will never be beat.. I think it was either the Bret Owen match or the survivor series where they mention the entire Hart family is sitting in the crowd and without missing a beat he deadpans "Is that what that smell is?!"

Cole is fine when he's with the right partner but he's definitely a corporate robot and he's pretty insufferable when he's with the wrong partner.

I think the people bitching about Jericho going over are mostly either indy marks who see Kingston as "their guy" or newer fans who aren't used to actual long term storytelling. The same people that start talking about how they need to switch the belt 2 weeks after someone wins it and whine when they don't get a major title change on free TV. They're used to binge watching wrestling on the internet so they lose perspective and can't handle a feud playing out in real time. This is classic southern "against all odds" babyface booking and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was ripped straight from some southern territory or 90's Japan (which was heavily influenced by the southern gaijin) feud that Kingston nerds out on. I feel like half these people will change their minds and say it was genius move when it ends with a legendary PPV match. He's obviously gonna put him over but he's going to do it properly, which means the right time and place. Dynamite shark week gimmick match ain't that time.

I'm also not sure why people think this is Jericho demanding to go over and not Eddie's idea, like you said Jericho has put tons of people over and I'm sure TK has ultimate say and would quash that in a second if it was the case. I fucking love that they're doing these escalating consequences matches and I don't understand why people can't just give them credit for a very well done match because they thought the wrong guy won.

Jericho also puts people over on commentary all the time, and manages to do it while staying heel which as Atiba mentioned is rather difficult to do well (Jesse was always surprisingly good at that too). He has plenty of faults but not knowing or respecting the business sure as hell ain't one of them.

I totally agree about putting the belt on him being one of the best moves they've made. I think people also forget that he got a TON of western eyes on NJPW with his run there, I know it caught my attention even though I wasn't really watching much wrestling at the time.

Glad you liked my wrestling buddy, it was definitely the best hiding spot I ever came up with. I got tons of shit from my friends about having basically a man shaped pillow with a hole in it, so maybe my dad just thought I was fucking it.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #516 on: July 26, 2022, 12:05:39 PM »
Admittedly weird opinion but I think Taz/Cole is an underrated commentator team. I watched some Smackdowns from 2003 recently and they were clearly having a lot of fun taking shots at each other throughout that period.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #517 on: July 26, 2022, 01:12:04 PM »
Admittedly weird opinion but I think Taz/Cole is an underrated commentator team. I watched some Smackdowns from 2003 recently and they were clearly having a lot of fun taking shots at each other throughout that period.

That's a good oddball one. Like I said I thought Taz sucked back in the day, but that was mostly just me being bitter about the demise of ECW and hating anyone that wasn't King/JR. With the passage of time and gaining perspective I can say he's always been a solid commentator.

He didn't do much commentary, but I feel like the "Quintessential Stud Muffin" Joel Gertner doesn't get the love he deserves. His innuendo and one liners were legendary, dude was smart as shit (he was a legit ivy league law student) but just wanted to make pussy and dick jokes and that really resonated with me for obvious reasons haha. He was also a big part of that absolutely nuclear heat that the Dudley's had for a while there.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #518 on: July 26, 2022, 01:28:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's a good oddball one. Like I said I thought Taz sucked back in the day, but that was mostly just me being bitter about the demise of ECW and hating anyone that wasn't King/JR. With the passage of time and gaining perspective I can say he's always been a solid commentator.

He didn't do much commentary, but I feel like the "Quintessential Stud Muffin" Joel Gertner doesn't get the love he deserves. His innuendo and one liners were legendary, dude was smart as shit (he was a legit ivy league law student) but just wanted to make pussy and dick jokes and that really resonated with me for obvious reasons haha. He was also a big part of that absolutely nuclear heat that the Dudley's had for a while there.

Joel Gertner was the best.

Him, Joey Styles, and even Lance Wright were a great talking head trio.

ECW Taz was the best. WWE ruined his character and nobody wanted to get dropped on their heads with a German or head and arm Taz-plex.

I miss old ECW. Biggest regret is I never caught a show at the ECW arena, only a house show in the suburbs.

Any old Wrestlecrap readers in the mix?
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #519 on: July 26, 2022, 03:56:07 PM »
I also didn’t know that Tully Blanchard left AEW/ROH and that Jonathan Gresham asked for his release and is apparently done with wrestling for a while.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #520 on: July 26, 2022, 04:23:18 PM »
I also didn’t know that Tully Blanchard left AEW/ROH and that Jonathan Gresham asked for his release and is apparently done with wrestling for a while.

Yeah I saw that. Really weird. Wonder if the Vince stuff spooked him because of some skeletons in his own closet or something. Hope it's nothing bad but the timing seems so weird with him recently getting back on TV and having his own stable.

His Daughter is a real piece of work too which is a shame because she might actually be better in the ring than he was. I have no idea if this was ever proven or debunked but it's one of the weirder modern wrestling sleaze stories so here goes... apparently when she was on the indys some perv money mark on the internet offered her a couple of grand to make an audio recording of her taking a dump while talking dirty. She must have needed the money, because a quick google search will lead you to the recording in question and it does sound like her. You can also find Cornette and Last listening to/discussing it on one of the drive thrus and its fucking gold.

I'm getting new teeth tomorrow. I told them when they do the thing where they show them to you in the mirror I want Rick Rude's "simply ravishing" WCW theme playing. Then I'm going to gather all the dental assistants around and call them sweat hogs and gyrate my hips before leaving the office.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #521 on: July 26, 2022, 04:47:35 PM »

I don’t know that Tullys out - they just changed up Tully Enterprises to be without him.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #522 on: July 26, 2022, 11:05:09 PM »
If anyones paying attention to the first song the in wknd video/the 411 it originally was used in - AJ Styles used to use a remix of that as his entrance music in ROH/indies.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #523 on: July 27, 2022, 06:59:12 AM »
I saw HHH heads up creative for all WWE now. This should be good.

Wonder who he’ll poach from AEW…

Also, I hope he brings back most of the released talent, especially Killer Kross and Bray.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #524 on: July 27, 2022, 06:12:05 PM »

Also, I hope he brings back most of the released talent, especially Killer Kross and Bray.

I have a feeling that Vince still has more say than anyone is letting on. HHH is still his son and law and he still owns 83% of the company and using it as inheritance blackmail is definitely something Vince would do.

Bringing Bray back seems like a very real possibility but I don't know if he wants to come back for less money. He was making a LOT in his last contract. Kross and Scarlett I think are pretty over the fed after they fucked him up the first time.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #525 on: July 27, 2022, 06:33:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a feeling that Vince still has more say than anyone is letting on. HHH is still his son and law and he still owns 83% of the company and using it as inheritance blackmail is definitely something Vince would do.

Bringing Bray back seems like a very real possibility but I don't know if he wants to come back for less money. He was making a LOT in his last contract. Kross and Scarlett I think are pretty over the fed after they fucked him up the first time.

RAW last night seemed somewhat different.

I especially loved Roman’s “your daddy ain’t here no more” shot at Theory. I’m a Theory stan and a Tribal Chief fan and that interaction was gold.

I can see them trying to switch the feel of the product up a little. They are going to TV-14 now.

Speaking of which, Jungle Boy’s promo was surprising. Especially with how he started it. It’s like AEW is trying to match it.

Also love Hook winning his dad’s title and love the Ricky Starks face turn to what I hope is a singles push. I think Hobbs will benefit greatly too.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #526 on: July 27, 2022, 07:06:23 PM »
Tonight’s Dynamite was the showcase of the future. I absolutely loved Garcia going over on Danielson. He needed that win more than the American Dragon did. This episode was to Hook, Dante, and Garcia what Hockey X was to Diego and Campos.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #527 on: July 28, 2022, 04:13:19 PM »
Tonight’s Dynamite was the showcase of the future. I absolutely loved Garcia going over on Danielson. He needed that win more than the American Dragon did. This episode was to Hook, Dante, and Garcia what Hockey X was to Diego and Campos.

I watched it but was still pretty beat up from surgery so I didn't take any notes but yeah the Starks + Hobbs turn and then Garcia going over BD relatively cleanly were definitely not what I expected and I'm down for it.

I didn't like Anna leaving DO for the JAS though. I'm not sure why people are making such a big deal about her... She's hot  but she can't cut a promo (or even keep a straight face while someone else cuts theirs) and she's average at best in the ring. Her finish is a fucking goofy looking sleeper that she barely locks in. Im sorry but AEWs womens division in general just fucking sucks and they need to either overhaul it or stop giving it prime TV time. Statlander vs Jade could be like Bayley vs Sasha was for NXT a few years ago but were gonna keep getting Marina Shitfire and Julia Hart even though they cant work and awkward rambling 10 minute promos from Rosa even though she can't talk. Get it together Tony, I'd really love to not instantly look for the fast forward button every time I hear your women's champs music hit.

Oh the rematch vs Yamashita was boring as fuck too.

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #528 on: July 28, 2022, 10:04:32 PM »
I've been going on a couple trips around Canada lately and haven't been able to watch AEW for a couple weeks. Watching the latest dynamite on tape and I actually found myself appreciating Sammy and Tay they are the annoying couple that everyone hates. I think it needs a tweak in some way... idk if making them fight and show cracks in the realationship or if making them try to be less outright annoying but still be annoying. It's missing something
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #529 on: July 28, 2022, 10:37:54 PM »
Did I get dropped on my head or is there a passing resemblance between Sammy and Steve-O (a pristine condition SteveO of course

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #530 on: July 29, 2022, 02:14:16 AM »
I've been going on a couple trips around Canada lately and haven't been able to watch AEW for a couple weeks. Watching the latest dynamite on tape and I actually found myself appreciating Sammy and Tay they are the annoying couple that everyone hates. I think it needs a tweak in some way... idk if making them fight and show cracks in the realationship or if making them try to be less outright annoying but still be annoying. It's missing something

I think Eddie Kingston just summed up exactly how I feel about Sammy... Im paraphrasing a bit but

"He does the same moves as the bucks, except he's worse at them."

Maybe it's because he's been on TV way too much since I started watching, but I can't even get behind him as someone I enjoy hating. For me he's just a boring spot monkey who doesn't understand ring psychology. He has to mostly rely on being a real life scumbag to get heat and I've never been a fan of that.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #531 on: July 29, 2022, 02:04:53 PM »
Missed Dynamite. Watched highlights on YouTube. After that Dark Order promo a few weeks ago where Uno claimed "We aren't going anywhere" I'm pretty bummed they just moved Anna Jay to JAS for no real reason. Like now they have 6 dudes and two women in a stable. That's way too much.

Jobhausen leading into Hook was pretty sick.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #532 on: July 29, 2022, 02:21:37 PM »
Missed Dynamite. Watched highlights on YouTube. After that Dark Order promo a few weeks ago where Uno claimed "We aren't going anywhere" I'm pretty bummed they just moved Anna Jay to JAS for no real reason. Like now they have 6 dudes and two women in a stable. That's way too much.

6 guys and 2 women in a stable is shades of Kevin Sullivan’s Army of Darkness from the Florida territory back in the day.

One of those women was Woman herself. The other was Luna Vachon.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #533 on: July 29, 2022, 03:53:00 PM »

Agreed but it’ll be better for Anna’s professional development to be around most of those guys.   

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #534 on: July 29, 2022, 04:27:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

6 guys and 2 women in a stable is shades of Kevin Sullivan’s Army of Darkness from the Florida territory back in the day.

That angle was so far ahead of its time. Smack dab in the midst of the satanic panic too. Sullivan got jobs he didn't deserve for the next 30 years because of that angle and even today you see its influence in like house of black or Wyatt family types groups.

Nancy was SO fucking hot back then. Like Im not even exaggerating when I say 80s Florida "fallen angel" Nancy is perhaps the single hottest valet ever, right up there with like 1996 sunny.

Then they being in Luna as a "local reporter" named Trudy, looking incredibly plain and innocent. Sullivan hauls off and fucking slaps her on TV, then kidnaps her and brainwashes her and shaves her head and turns her into another of his slaves

It's corny as fuck when you watch it now, but that shit actually scared the hell out of parents. The 80s were fucking wild man.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #535 on: July 29, 2022, 04:24:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That angle was so far ahead of its time. Smack dab in the midst of the satanic panic too. Sullivan got jobs he didn't deserve for the next 30 years because of that angle and even today you see its influence in like house of black or Wyatt family types groups.

Nancy was SO fucking hot back then. Like Im not even exaggerating when I say 80s Florida "fallen angel" Nancy is perhaps the single hottest valet ever, right up there with like 1996 sunny.

Then they being in Luna as a "local reporter" named Trudy, looking incredibly plain and innocent. Sullivan hauls off and fucking slaps her on TV, then kidnaps her and brainwashes her and shaves her head and turns her into another of his slaves

It's corny as fuck when you watch it now, but that shit actually scared the hell out of parents. The 80s were fucking wild man.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #536 on: July 29, 2022, 04:25:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #537 on: July 29, 2022, 04:26:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #538 on: July 29, 2022, 04:26:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #539 on: July 29, 2022, 04:27:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]