Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 41788 times)

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #570 on: August 09, 2022, 11:54:26 AM »
Expand Quote

Mance Warner is a young Terry Funk.

I’m trying to decide if I want to go to AEW Grand Slam again. I’m already going to the US Open and Dime Glory Challenge a few weeks before.

Grand Slam was cool, but the lines for everything were ridiculously long. I didn’t get to eat until 11:15 when they were filming Rampage.

I’m glad WWE isn’t dead in the water now. I’m convinced their product might end up being better than AEW with HHH running creative. Can’t wait for The Fiend and Sasha Banks to return. I also don’t think he’d botch MJF.
[close]

Somewhere in Kentucky, Jim Cornette's blood pressure just went up 50 points since you put that into the world hahaha.

Grand slam should be sick but no sense running yourself ragged. Take this year off and watch it on the couch with a joint and a pizza like the rest of us degenerates.

I guess I was wrong about WWE not changing dramatically. Johnny Ace just got shit canned and apparently Sasha and Naomi are coming back. It sounds like they actually managed to root Vince out and exile him back to his mansion where he can pump iron and longingly sniff his black tank top until we inevitably hear he's signed a contract to wrestle Flair in a hell in a cell match.

Haven't heard anything about Bray but I'm sure it's in the works too. He was making crazy money before (4 mil salary plus a cut of merchandise is what I've read) so I'm not sure how it'll all play out but I think he's gotta go back eventually. Apparently they're considering Dexter Lumis too.

Apparently Vice is doing a dark side of the ring style show called Tales from the Territories that will focus on all the crazy shit that used to happen when wrestling was still a regional game. The Rock is one of the producers so I'm guessing they won't be delving into the really crazy degenerate stuff (like the rock n roll express/Jimmy V glass table story) but whatever, I love old wrestling stories so I'm stoked.

Jim Cornette is the Stephen A Smith of wrestling, except I like Stephen A whenever the Dallas Cowboys lose.

Laurinaitis officially got canned. There has to be more to his involvement in all this.

I loved Max Caster’s Laurinaitis line that he rapped at Bryan Danielson before their match “I end more careers than your father in law.”

The drive up to and back from Queens on a weeknight alone makes me think I’ll just catch AEW at the Liacouras Center like I did the week after the last Grand Slam.

AEW really needs Punk and Omega back. I hope HHH signs MJF and takes Miro back from AEW too.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #571 on: August 09, 2022, 06:04:17 PM »
A funny tweet I saw - Vince has paid more in hush money (19M) than the Rock did for the XFL (15M)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #572 on: August 09, 2022, 07:55:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Mance Warner is a young Terry Funk.

I’m trying to decide if I want to go to AEW Grand Slam again. I’m already going to the US Open and Dime Glory Challenge a few weeks before.

Grand Slam was cool, but the lines for everything were ridiculously long. I didn’t get to eat until 11:15 when they were filming Rampage.

I’m glad WWE isn’t dead in the water now. I’m convinced their product might end up being better than AEW with HHH running creative. Can’t wait for The Fiend and Sasha Banks to return. I also don’t think he’d botch MJF.
[close]

Somewhere in Kentucky, Jim Cornette's blood pressure just went up 50 points since you put that into the world hahaha.

Grand slam should be sick but no sense running yourself ragged. Take this year off and watch it on the couch with a joint and a pizza like the rest of us degenerates.

I guess I was wrong about WWE not changing dramatically. Johnny Ace just got shit canned and apparently Sasha and Naomi are coming back. It sounds like they actually managed to root Vince out and exile him back to his mansion where he can pump iron and longingly sniff his black tank top until we inevitably hear he's signed a contract to wrestle Flair in a hell in a cell match.

Haven't heard anything about Bray but I'm sure it's in the works too. He was making crazy money before (4 mil salary plus a cut of merchandise is what I've read) so I'm not sure how it'll all play out but I think he's gotta go back eventually. Apparently they're considering Dexter Lumis too.

Apparently Vice is doing a dark side of the ring style show called Tales from the Territories that will focus on all the crazy shit that used to happen when wrestling was still a regional game. The Rock is one of the producers so I'm guessing they won't be delving into the really crazy degenerate stuff (like the rock n roll express/Jimmy V glass table story) but whatever, I love old wrestling stories so I'm stoked.
[close]

Jim Cornette is the Stephen A Smith of wrestling, except I like Stephen A whenever the Dallas Cowboys lose.

Laurinaitis officially got canned. There has to be more to his involvement in all this.

I loved Max Caster’s Laurinaitis line that he rapped at Bryan Danielson before their match “I end more careers than your father in law.”

The drive up to and back from Queens on a weeknight alone makes me think I’ll just catch AEW at the Liacouras Center like I did the week after the last Grand Slam.

AEW really needs Punk and Omega back. I hope HHH signs MJF and takes Miro back from AEW too.

I love Corny though I totally get why others hate him. He's a grumpy, out of touch old man but he's also one of the best heels and mic workers I've ever seen. I don't agree with a lot of his opinions on individual wrestlers but that's mostly subjective and I'm sure people would say the same about me if they cared enough to listen to mine. I definitely identify with his passion for wrestling history and I mostly listen to the shows for that and the crazy road stories. I have a newfound appreciation for him as a performer since I started my whole "watch hours of southern 80s wrestling every night" phase too. I grew up on goofy WWF heavenly bodies Corny, so I missed his prime but holy fuck did people want to kill the Midnight back in the day. It's between him and Bubba for the most "this might turn into an actual riot" moments I've seen haha.

I legit think Max Caster could be a huge star with the right booking. This is probably sacrilege but he reminds me of young Rocky or Cena... Looks like a million bucks, crowd loves him, has a unique charisma and can obviously work a mic.

I don't want MJF in WWE. I don't necessarily think they'd waste him, but I don't think they'd give him the same freedom or nearly as much attention as Tony will. I could definitely see them trying to give him a gimmick or something stupid like that. I'm fine with the rosters being like they are as long as they actually spin ROH off into its own entity and clear some of those matches off AEW TV.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 27
« Reply #573 on: August 10, 2022, 12:47:33 PM »
I'm finally home and excited for Jericho v Moxley tonight.

Darby v King in the coffin match should be good too. Maybe we get the Sting return to help him get the win.

Oh wow I clicked it on NXT last night and two dudes were boxing. With like really bad Mike Tyson Punch Out audio dubbed in when the punches landed. It was so weird. I'm like "I'm confused" and then wifey said "Yeah I'm confused as to why we are watching NXT!"

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #574 on: August 10, 2022, 12:51:28 PM »
Hey fellow skate/wrestling fans just a heads up skate warehouse has the Enjoi classic WWF decks on sale for 34.98 and free shipping over $50. I got the green deedz for skating purposes a while back but I'm gonna grab a Jake the Snake and maybe a Taker for the wall. Good decks too once you get used to how stiff they are.

Also tonight is Quake by the Lake. Can't wait to watch Jericho botch his old lionheart move set. Real talk though everyone should be hyped to watch this solely for Brody King vs Darby Allin in a coffin match. Hoping for some skate related spots in this one!

Edit: great minds think alike Stone Cold SHAQUEEF Austin. Great to have you back bud. Tell wifey I said she has better taste than 90% of the marks on the internet.

Rocko

• Rep: 38
« Reply #575 on: August 10, 2022, 05:18:17 PM »
Another win for the 60 year old and the 5’7” 120lber

Oh shit ospreay and dragon Lee in the trios tourney, good shit tony
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 05:25:49 PM by Rocko »

WPG

• Rep: -3
« Reply #576 on: August 10, 2022, 05:25:20 PM »
In my mark ass opinion they botched the suicide dive and king was supposed to fall into the coffin, but I liked the second finish more because I can believe lil Darby could beat a giant by hanging him with a steel chain
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #577 on: August 10, 2022, 06:05:54 PM »
Does AEW use fake blood when someone gets color? It looks too bright.

That lucha match was very underwhelming.

Garcia seems to be coming into his own cutting promos now. Anna Jay’s promos are terrible.

Miro’s promos are amazing.

Why is Nick Comoroto dressing like Billy Jack Haynes?

WPG

« Reply #578 on: August 10, 2022, 06:31:23 PM »
In my mark ass opinion they botched the suicide dive and king was supposed to fall into the coffin, but I liked the second finish more because I can believe lil Darby could beat a giant by hanging him with a steel chain
Edit: 2 time Jericho tonight baby, Lionheart putting on for the city, the hart dungeon and the whole of Canada
Muska, Chillin Chillin

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #579 on: August 10, 2022, 11:32:21 PM »

Eh I think that was the planned finish, Brody has been doing the hang Darby off the apron and choke him out thing the last few weeks so it's a callback to that. They even briefly teased him doing it again before Darby hit him with the chain, plus that whole spot seems way too complicated to call on the fly that fast.

Here's what I thought of the show 

I kinda loved and kinda hated Darby and Brody. It would have been really good without the HOB-Sting thing. That really ruined the flow of what was otherwise a good match. I'm glad we got the skate related spots, I never knew how much I needed to see bloody corpse paint Brody focus a deck until it happened. The Sting pops out of the coffin spot would have been way better after the match or something, we didn't need 3 minutes of storyline gaga in the middle of the match.

I thought LFI vs Lucha Bros was predictably great. I'm a mark for 3 of the 4 guys and lucha in general so I was always going to like it though. Rush and Andrade look pretty rad in their entrance suits and masks and that stereo dive was absolutely gorgeous. Not as good as the Lucha Bros one, but still great. Not their best but a good match, even if the crowd ruined the finish. Andrade, Rush, and Dragon Lee vs the Bucks trio is gonna be amazing.

Parker Boudreau has future "speaking out" twitlonger written all over him as well.

What the fuck did they do to Nick Comorato? He shaved his beard and wears velour sweat suits and has a stupid hat and lollipop now? Who's idea was that, because it's a really fucking stupid one.

Wardlow is a goddamn star. Had my doubts but dudes killing it.

Goddamn Milfison Rayne looking really good. You can tell she taught Jade some of those spots and probably booked that match since it was very TNA, right down to the completely silent crowd for a large part of the match.

Holy shit BD vs Garcia 2/3 falls should be good.

Woah Jericho got TK to pay for Zombie for one entrance hahaha. That was an awesome match. I don't get why Mox has to bleed in every single match when he can just wrestle. Jericho is so fucking good. Can't believe he pulled all those spots off successfully and then fucking hard-way'ed himself on the turnbuckle. Dude is absolutely one of the best ever and if you disagree I'll throw a fireball in your face. If that was a PPV main event it would go down as legendary.

HOLY SHIT HE'S BACK. LET'S FUCKIN GO. Please God let this end with Max coming back at All Out now. Let's get this train back on the tracks.

Does AEW use fake blood when someone gets color? It looks too bright.

That lucha match was very underwhelming.

Garcia seems to be coming into his own cutting promos now. Anna Jay’s promos are terrible.

Miro’s promos are amazing.

Why is Nick Comoroto dressing like Billy Jack Haynes?

Billy Jack Haynes meets Die Antwoord is a solid way to describe whatever the fuck that look is.

They don't use fake blood, I doubt Tony would say no if someone wanted to do it but these guys are definitely all about gigging themselves. Moxley and Kingston barely even try to hide it when they do it and Jericho seems to just be determined to find new ways to legitimately bust his face open every match (and I'm enjoying the hell out of it). I did notice that Brodys was thick but I think that's just because he cut deep and his blood is 20% gravy.

Anna's "sucking on a lemon" face during group promos because she can't keep a straight face is as distracting to me as Adam Cole's fake stutter. I noticed it once and now it's all I see.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #580 on: August 11, 2022, 10:43:09 AM »
Ahhhhhh shit. Fell asleep pretty early on.

I liked Darby v. Brody but the Sting appearance was so predictable. It would have been very cool if Miro was waiting in the coffin. His promo would have had a lot more meaning if he just got done beating their asses.

Shame on whoever caught Penta's mask and didn't throw it back. That match was pretty cool though. Andrade and Rush look awesome in their entrance.

Everything else is a blur. Wifey tried to wake me up for main event but I was toast. Woke up again to see Punk come out.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #581 on: August 11, 2022, 02:43:50 PM »

I liked Darby v. Brody but the Sting appearance was so predictable. It would have been very cool if Miro was waiting in the coffin. His promo would have had a lot more meaning if he just got done beating their asses.

Shame on whoever caught Penta's mask and didn't throw it back. That match was pretty cool though. Andrade and Rush look awesome in their entrance.

Everything else is a blur. Wifey tried to wake me up for main event but I was toast. Woke up again to see Punk come out.

I know you're a Jericho mark like myself so I highly recommend you go watch the main when you get a chance. If you need a link just let me know. He legit wrestles it like Lionheart Jericho for the most part and hits his classic spots. It was weird seeing old Jericho playing young Jericho at first but I got into it pretty quick. I usually don't like Mox matches (especially long ones) but he played his role perfectly in this one.

I can't believe I was convinced Jericho was washed up 6 months ago. Seeing the flashes of the ECW/WCW version of him brought back so many good memories of watching wrestling on a 13 inch CRT TV/VCR combo. I had a bootleg copy of extreme warfare vol 2 with Sabu vs Jericho that I used to watch religiously. That tape and ICP stranglemania are seared into my grey matter.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #582 on: August 12, 2022, 05:43:25 AM »
Yeah I definitely want to watch the match.

Did you notice in the pre match promos that he actually looked like he was 35? They must have gave him hella makeup he looked like a young Jericho.

I don't think I could name another wrestler whose supposed twilight of their career was this impactful. Like he is still putting on meaningful bangers that cement his GOAT status while also putting an entire company over. When you think about Undertaker wrestling once or twice a year for the last 5-10 with no real reason to be there except that its wrestlemania season, it really puts this man's greatness into perspective. His feud with AJ was OK but other than that he hasn't had a good storyline since the streak ended. And he didn't look near as good in the ring as Jericho still does.

That being said, Mox does not need to bleed so much, its starting to get Cody Rhodes comical and losing the effect.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #583 on: August 12, 2022, 06:39:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I know you're a Jericho mark like myself so I highly recommend you go watch the main when you get a chance. If you need a link just let me know. He legit wrestles it like Lionheart Jericho for the most part and hits his classic spots. It was weird seeing old Jericho playing young Jericho at first but I got into it pretty quick. I usually don't like Mox matches (especially long ones) but he played his role perfectly in this one.

I can't believe I was convinced Jericho was washed up 6 months ago. Seeing the flashes of the ECW/WCW version of him brought back so many good memories of watching wrestling on a 13 inch CRT TV/VCR combo. I had a bootleg copy of extreme warfare vol 2 with Sabu vs Jericho that I used to watch religiously. That tape and ICP stranglemania are seared into my grey matter.

2 Cold Scorpio vs Chris Jericho was another good one.

Also his match with Taz where he took a head and arm Taz Plex and the 4-way dance with Scorpio, Pitbull 2, and The Franchise.

Even Flow Jericho in WCW was where he really started to shine as a character. Man of 1,004 holds lol.

I think he ends up finishing his career in WWE. That would be great.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #584 on: August 12, 2022, 07:59:37 AM »
ARMBAR!!!!!!!

The man of 1,004 holds was amazing work. He goes into that a bit when he was on the Stone Cold Podcast and it was hilarious.

Also, one of my best friends grew up with Dean Malenko as a neighbor.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #585 on: August 12, 2022, 08:07:23 AM »
ARMBAR!!!!!!!

The man of 1,004 holds was amazing work. He goes into that a bit when he was on the Stone Cold Podcast and it was hilarious.

Also, one of my best friends grew up with Dean Malenko as a neighbor.

That’s so sick. Dean Malenko was one of my favorite people to watch in WCW. Pair him with a luchador like Psicosis and you have instant gold, even on WCW Worldwide.

I think of Gresham as a modern Dean Malenko.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #586 on: August 12, 2022, 08:53:20 AM »
The man of 1,004 holds remains to this day one of the funniest things I've seen in wrestling. I used to walk around doing the "never.....eeeeeeeeeever" thing and popping myself constantly when I was like 12 too.

Since we're reminiscing about his glory days, when I get home I'll see if I can find a link that super J Cup that had super young Jericho and Benoit along with like Ultimo Dragon and Alberto Del Rio's dad and some other oddities. It's a weird but super fun tournament.

Growing up next to Malenko would be interesting haha. Ask him if he ever peeked through the windows and saw him putting the cloverleaf on a hooker or something.

WPG

« Reply #587 on: August 12, 2022, 07:20:05 PM »
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4vaq1y
https://fb.watch/eSMMJSsxLn/

Facebook is way better quality (but ik fb shares links weird sometimes) Jericho is my all time goat, with Vince gone I don't really see him going back to WWE. I think he will comentate and podcast when he retires maybe work behind the scenes at AEW. Beyond excited for what I hope is Kenny's return next week. My brother bought me an Omega shirt for Christmas and I have been saving it for his return. I don't wanna jinx it by wearing it all day but I might have to
Muska, Chillin Chillin

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #588 on: August 13, 2022, 04:12:01 AM »
Hit Row is back. HHH does it again.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #589 on: August 13, 2022, 05:42:04 AM »
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4vaq1y
https://fb.watch/eSMMJSsxLn/

Facebook is way better quality (but ik fb shares links weird sometimes) Jericho is my all time goat, with Vince gone I don't really see him going back to WWE. I think he will comentate and podcast when he retires maybe work behind the scenes at AEW. Beyond excited for what I hope is Kenny's return next week. My brother bought me an Omega shirt for Christmas and I have been saving it for his return. I don't wanna jinx it by wearing it all day but I might have to

That's the one. I think that was also the show Liger (one of my all timers) worked heel against a crab man and it was every bit as amazing as it sounds.

My stance on Jericho is I don't necessarily think he's the goat, but I can't argue with anyone that does. He's making a real case for himself lately though, this run has been awesome. When I rank him ge's in that weird spot where he's not the absolute best at anything, but he's like very close to the top of everything. Kurt Angle is kind of the same thing... They can get anything you give them over, pop any crowd, and have a 5 star match with a sack of potatoes.

For those who didn't watch rampage... we got a mixed tag with Sammy/Tay vs Dante Thigh Blue. The girls put on a hell of a show, they have great chemistry together. Granted I needed a cold shower before I could go to bed, but a really fun match.

Poor Statlander blew her other knee out. Probably out close to a year. Should have put the strap on her or let her win the Owen, hopefully there's still some heat in the iron when she comes back but man they blew that one.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #590 on: August 16, 2022, 02:14:26 AM »
On the new episode of BTE the Bucks did a not very subtle tease of Kenny Omega returning on Wednesday. I don't think they'd do it just to pop a rating, but I do feel like with Tony you always have to sort of think he might be bringing in some new indy darling or fed castaway. I hate that it's gotten to that point, so please let this be the start of Omega, Punk, and MJF coming back and them trimming the fat and concentrating on their stars again. Make ROH it's own thing or keep it on Rampage/dark and stop having pointless dream matches all the time. It's fine once in a while but you did a whole PPV of those, it's time to build some storylines that get people invested again.

I might be being impatient but I kind of want Mox vs Punk to be MJF's return. Have him cost Punk the match, then beat Mox for the belt so we get Punk having to chase a chickenshit heel champ. I feel like that dynamic would work a little better than him cheating to beat his hero directly.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #591 on: August 16, 2022, 05:07:17 AM »
On the new episode of BTE the Bucks did a not very subtle tease of Kenny Omega returning on Wednesday. I don't think they'd do it just to pop a rating, but I do feel like with Tony you always have to sort of think he might be bringing in some new indy darling or fed castaway. I hate that it's gotten to that point, so please let this be the start of Omega, Punk, and MJF coming back and them trimming the fat and concentrating on their stars again. Make ROH it's own thing or keep it on Rampage/dark and stop having pointless dream matches all the time. It's fine once in a while but you did a whole PPV of those, it's time to build some storylines that get people invested again.

I might be being impatient but I kind of want Mox vs Punk to be MJF's return. Have him cost Punk the match, then beat Mox for the belt so we get Punk having to chase a chickenshit heel champ. I feel like that dynamic would work a little better than him cheating to beat his hero directly.

Didn’t both BTE and Raw reference that promo where Rey breaks the cabinet he’s doing pull ups on in the background?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #592 on: August 16, 2022, 07:55:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Didn’t both BTE and Raw reference that promo where Rey breaks the cabinet he’s doing pull ups on in the background?

Not sure, I actually only watched the Bucks ending bit because I heard that they did the tease. Usually I save all the YouTube stuff - BTE, dark/elevation, and now Hey-E-W (R.J. City is great)  for Wednesday morning and then get stupendously high and watch it all. Its my day off so it kind of replicates the old Saturday morning wrestling programming of my youth where they would have like Superstars, WCW pro, and USWA/Memphis wrestling all one after the other (on different channels).

It wouldn't surprise me though, they love doing smarky shit like that on BTE and in interviews. I do enjoy when they have the good Bros on and make Festus references. I'm still not interested enough in WWE to watch raw or SD regularly so no idea if they did it 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #593 on: August 16, 2022, 09:21:52 PM »
They did, Rhea did it and posted it on Twitter. 

Hey E W has been on a hot streak lately.  Regal was really good, but this Taz was found it in its sweet spot.  It doesn’t quite work when baby faces have to act affronted by him (OCassidy didn’t quite work right) but  RJ seems like he’s figured out the formula well.    Not quite Between Two Ferns mixed with some not quite Narduwar.   

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #594 on: August 17, 2022, 05:30:55 AM »
IT'S WEDNESDAY NIGHT!!!! YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!!!!

WPG

« Reply #595 on: August 17, 2022, 08:13:56 AM »

KENNYS HOME!
Muska, Chillin Chillin

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #596 on: August 17, 2022, 09:33:34 AM »

Tony Kahn’s going to try and be a little bit nicer backstage?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #597 on: August 17, 2022, 12:52:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tony Kahn’s going to try and be a little bit nicer backstage?

Ricky The Dragon is Guest Timekeeper tonight

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #598 on: August 17, 2022, 01:42:44 PM »
Loving the hype boys. Just stopped by the grocery store and dispensary and grabbed my supplies. I got a blueberry muffin at both places!

8pm can't get here fast enough!

If any of y'all need to pass the time they had Daddy Magic do commentary on Elevation. It's entertaining as hell.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #599 on: August 17, 2022, 06:07:34 PM »
I’m sure there are exceptions, but watching Dynamite so far makes me love how AEW doesn’t insult my intelligence.   Every betrayal/turn has believable and well set up  justification.   

Super stoked Dragon got his moment, but that it didn’t involve stopping shenanigans in the match.

Worth noting (mentioned to me by someone else) Luchasaurus hasn’t laid hands on Christian once in the time he returned to JBs side