Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 41802 times)

friendly dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #840 on: October 31, 2022, 06:59:10 PM »
Well, Ted DiBiase is kind of a piece of shit.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #841 on: October 31, 2022, 08:32:34 PM »
I found a ted dibiase tonka pillow buddy at the thrift store for $4 and now my fiance wants it gone because it 'doesn't fit her aesthetic' 😁

Welp I'm sorry it didn't work out with her but at least you found out before you got married.

I too have a DiBiase one, I found it in an abandoned house. I told this story in here before but I had one on my bed from childhood all the way up until my late teens because it had a hole in it that was the perfect place to hide my weed and pipe. I think all my friends thought I was fucking it haha.

Not kind of, massive piece of shit. Defrauding the most vulnerable people in the country and gloating about it. And he didn't even get a slap on the wrist. Total evangelical conman scumbag carny piece of shit.

Hell of a wrestler though.

@PatrickSkateman I just went down a rabbit hole like the YouTube comment thing, except on wrestling twitter. Wardlow has some absolutely insane, obsessive (like 3k tweets in a month obsessive) female fans. Like scary "I'm going to dress up like you and kidnap you and bite your dick off so we can be soul bound" type shit. I looked at 3 or 4 profiles and they were all equally batshit but in entirely different ways. It honestly makes the old dudes writing prose about wanting to take a lengthy piledriver from Dutch Mantell's sweaty thighs seem well adjusted by comparison.

Gonna try to watch Raw after the game. We'll see how this goes.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #842 on: October 31, 2022, 08:52:40 PM »
Expand Quote
I found a ted dibiase tonka pillow buddy at the thrift store for $4 and now my fiance wants it gone because it 'doesn't fit her aesthetic' 😁
[close]

Welp I'm sorry it didn't work out with her but at least you found out before you got married.

I too have a DiBiase one, I found it in an abandoned house. I told this story in here before but I had one on my bed from childhood all the way up until my late teens because it had a hole in it that was the perfect place to hide my weed and pipe. I think all my friends thought I was fucking it haha.

Expand Quote
[close]

Not kind of, massive piece of shit. Defrauding the most vulnerable people in the country and gloating about it. And he didn't even get a slap on the wrist. Total evangelical conman scumbag carny piece of shit.

Hell of a wrestler though.

@PatrickSkateman I just went down a rabbit hole like the YouTube comment thing, except on wrestling twitter. Wardlow has some absolutely insane, obsessive (like 3k tweets in a month obsessive) female fans. Like scary "I'm going to dress up like you and kidnap you and bite your dick off so we can be soul bound" type shit. I looked at 3 or 4 profiles and they were all equally batshit but in entirely different ways. It honestly makes the old dudes writing prose about wanting to take a lengthy piledriver from Dutch Mantell's sweaty thighs seem well adjusted by comparison.

Gonna try to watch Raw after the game. We'll see how this goes.

Hahaha, wrestling fans are wild.

Like some woman would drive 6 hours to Jacksonville in a diaper, no stops, just to kidnap Wardlow. 😂
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 27
« Reply #843 on: November 01, 2022, 05:20:48 AM »

Get the ring back she ain't the one.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #844 on: November 01, 2022, 09:00:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In her defense, she’s more of a Jim Duggan gal (from what I’m told) and she does keep 2x4s around the place

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #845 on: November 01, 2022, 06:07:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yo are you watching Smackdown? This bloodline and Sami thing has me about to start again.

In my territorial travels today I came across something you just don't see anymore. Tracey Smothers wrestling a Bear....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=25BIVy7g0X8

... And winning. He actually pinned the bear and it looked like it nipped his arm because he wouldn't let it up. Young Smothers was a wrasslin machine! That's one of those stories someone tells you and you just quietly smile while thinking "man what a bullshitter" but Tracey had a narrated video to prove it.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #846 on: November 02, 2022, 05:29:31 AM »
Yeah I watched the "ucey" segment and it was so great watching the whole bloodline try not to laugh at sami.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #847 on: November 02, 2022, 09:56:29 AM »
ITS WEDNESDAY NIGHT!!!! YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!!!!!

Anybody got an idea who the "Mystery ROH Champion" is that will be fighting Jericho tonight?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #848 on: November 02, 2022, 02:37:03 PM »

Anybody got an idea who the "Mystery ROH Champion" is that will be fighting Jericho tonight?

Cheeseburger?  Return of Colt?   Gresham?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #849 on: November 02, 2022, 03:28:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Cheeseburger?  Return of Colt?   Gresham?

Fingers crossed for Tyler Black.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #850 on: November 02, 2022, 04:26:06 PM »
There is just two episodes here….it’s all Memphis right?  I think that’s sick because it was pretty much impossible seeing the territories back in the day unless you lived there….so many names I never really saw wrestle. Reminds me of 80’s pros you knew the board but never saw skate. It’ll take awhile but I hope they do Stampede….

@j....soy..... The Stampede episode is up on vice now. If you need a link lemme know. It's pretty good. I don't want to spoil too much but my basic assessment is that Bret Hart seems like a really cool dude, and Abdullah is a shameless lying carny piece of shit. As if he didn't embarrass himself bad enough on the Brody episode, he actively asks Bret for money multiple times just while they're filming. I can only imagine how bad it was when the cameras were off. People are far too kind to Abby, everything I've seen or heard about the man behind the character points to him being a travesty of a human being who will do anything for money.

Hmm... Trying to think who's still active and has worked with them. They're in Baltimore so it could be like anyone from the NE indies but Tony has been doing a great job of making me groan with his decision making lately so the logical choice is Matt Taven. I guess Daniels would make sense too since he already works there. Then again Tony loves surprises and Jericho so it'll probably be someone like Suzuki that Jericho will want to wrestle.

Rest of the card could be fun... OC vs Rey Fenix vs Luchasaurus will be a spot fest and Samoa Joe vs Brian Cage could be interesting. Don't care about the Mox match. I understand that he just likes to wrestle but I'm just sick of watching him "defend" the belt every week. Appreciate what he does but I can't wait to see him drop the belt to MJF and let us see if the kid is as good as he says he is. Darby vs Lethal will probably be good too. Maybe Darby will fulfill Jeff Hardy's destiny and do a Swanton off Satnam's brow ridge.

WPG

• Rep: -3
« Reply #851 on: November 02, 2022, 08:08:31 PM »
Accusations... False Accusations

Also did anyone else think Rick Ross was about to announce Swerve was signing with MMG
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #852 on: November 02, 2022, 09:04:13 PM »
Im looking for a link to ep 3 and the most recent.  Thanks!

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #853 on: November 03, 2022, 04:53:54 AM »
Man.

For me, Dynamite was a big miss last night. The fake sting was stupid to reveal Cole Carter and then Jeff FUCKING JARRETT. A big no thanks on that.

Jamie Hayter was wearing a 917 hoody, that was cool.

The Daddy Ass B-Day party kinda dragged.

Looks like Tony owed some goodwill to the boys in the back putting Colt Cabana out there. And then he almost dropped Jericho on his neck. Jeez.

Three way match was OK enough,  Hungle Boy takes out Luchasaurus so the Juiceman can retain the belt. Is Death Triangle gonna break up?

Fell asleep for the main event but man I think Brian Cage can be a lot bigger than what they use him for. He is too big to be jobbing to dudes the same size as him weekly. give that man some wins.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #854 on: November 03, 2022, 10:48:03 AM »
Cabana as the mystery challenger is kind of like someone telling you they're taking you out to eat so you get all excited and then you get to the restaurant and its a Boston Market. Its not bad and there's nothing wrong with it, but I'm not going to get excited about it....

The Shibata thing... Nah Tony this ain't it man. I know he's a puro legend but he's 45 and almost died from a severe brain injury caused directly by wrestling not all that long ago. Dude was actually paralyzed for a while from it. Meltzer said they had to take his brain out of his skull to save him. I'm down for crazy spots sometimes but I don't want to watch Misawa part 2. And on top of that, like 80% of your audience has no clue who he is or what he's done. Huge risk for a miniscule payoff.

The 3 way was mostly the spot fest I was hoping for, although they were a little sloppy at points. Fenix and OC mostly hit their marks and for all my criticisms of Luchasaurus, I have to say he looks so much better as a heel and he's gotten away from the stiff, unnatural spot to spot style a little which is nice. He's starting to get that slow, stalking powers of pain style down which should make it so much more impactful when he busts out the flippy indy shit. Hungle boys cross body spot was awesome though.

Who's idea was it to make Pac carry around a ring bell  hammer and act like it's supposed to be threatening? It looks like the fucking hammer Andy Dufresne used to make chess pieces in the shawshank redemption.

The ROH shit has to stop. You have 150 people on the roster but you're giving the same 20-25 guys long segments every week and then stuffing the ROH shit on top. And now we're about to get the Elite back which is going to make it even worse. It's fine to keep best friends or the acclaimed off TV for a week and give someone else some love.

The booking outside of MJF seems to be veering back into a lot of lazy, aimless shit. The Jarrett thing with the stupid shitty mask fake Sting kid was so stupid that I felt like I was watching TNA from a decade ago.

Cage vs Joe fucked pretty hard. Joe is turning into a really good vet that can shine younger guys up while still being scary, violent Joe. Cage certainly got his shit in and looked awesome doing it too. I could see him doing kind of a modern version of smug, cocky heel RVD from ECW and making it interesting. Let Nana do most of the talking like Alfonso did for RVD and just go impress the hell out of people with the crazy shit you can do in ring.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #855 on: November 03, 2022, 01:34:28 PM »
Man.

For me, Dynamite was a big miss last night. The fake sting was stupid to reveal Cole Carter and then Jeff FUCKING JARRETT. A big no thanks on that.

Jamie Hayter was wearing a 917 hoody, that was cool.

The Daddy Ass B-Day party kinda dragged.

Looks like Tony owed some goodwill to the boys in the back putting Colt Cabana out there. And then he almost dropped Jericho on his neck. Jeez.

Three way match was OK enough,  Hungle Boy takes out Luchasaurus so the Juiceman can retain the belt. Is Death Triangle gonna break up?

Fell asleep for the main event but man I think Brian Cage can be a lot bigger than what they use him for. He is too big to be jobbing to dudes the same size as him weekly. give that man some wins.

I always like reading how you guys see these shows because it's often similar but slightly different from me or you'll catch stuff I missed. I definitely didn't catch the Hayter hoodie, I was too distracted by the Longback making annoying faces the whole time she was onscreen. One more reason to love Hayter... She's probably my favorite female right now and if that match with Toni is anything like their shit overseas it's going to be the best women's match AEW has had for a while.

Glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way about the acclaimed segment. I get that they're over and you needed to promote the foam scissors you probably ordered a billion of, but like going forward let's not ride this thing to death. Let it breathe and build some other merch moving gimmicks.

I kinda hope DT break up if this is all they have planned for Pac. The bell hammer thing feels like trying to use a 60s gimmick in modern wrestling. I would actually be cool with sending him to HOB or making a tag with Buddy Matthews to feud with lucha Bros.

I feel like the Colt thing was Jericho's idea. That seems like the way he would want to handle it and we all know he gets what he wants. Tony I think just wants to pretend it never happened and he's probably still a Punk mark who can't believe his real life toys didn't get along. I really think he needs a booker, and I REALLY hope thats not why Jarrett is there. Not unless they're doing a SLAP nuts collab with the forums, in which case carry on.

I dunno if I'm going to pay for this PPV. I might have to vote with my wallet on this one. The only matches I actually want to see so far are MJF and Hayter, and I can't really get behind booking Shibata.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #856 on: November 03, 2022, 01:48:34 PM »
Yeah, Abby still draws…..i enjoyed this episode, they went in a direction I didn’t really expect ie. older Stampede vs. Bulldogs, Chris Benoit, Brian Pillman, Harts….they were right about the heels, they had a ton but none of them really very far in North America.  I’m sure it’s for a few reasons but I suspect it was a lot of the Harts looking after their guys after the territory died. 

Expand Quote
There is just two episodes here….it’s all Memphis right?  I think that’s sick because it was pretty much impossible seeing the territories back in the day unless you lived there….so many names I never really saw wrestle. Reminds me of 80’s pros you knew the board but never saw skate. It’ll take awhile but I hope they do Stampede….
[close]

@j....soy..... The Stampede episode is up on vice now. If you need a link lemme know. It's pretty good. I don't want to spoil too much but my basic assessment is that Bret Hart seems like a really cool dude, and Abdullah is a shameless lying carny piece of shit. As if he didn't embarrass himself bad enough on the Brody episode, he actively asks Bret for money multiple times just while they're filming. I can only imagine how bad it was when the cameras were off. People are far too kind to Abby, everything I've seen or heard about the man behind the character points to him being a travesty of a human being who will do anything for money.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #857 on: November 03, 2022, 03:04:26 PM »
Yeah, Abby still draws…..i enjoyed this episode, they went in a direction I didn’t really expect ie. older Stampede vs. Bulldogs, Chris Benoit, Brian Pillman, Harts….they were right about the heels, they had a ton but none of them really very far in North America.  I’m sure it’s for a few reasons but I suspect it was a lot of the Harts looking after their guys after the territory died. 

Yeah I actually kind of wonder how much of the content is driven by the guests and how much is them getting guests who they know will have stories. Now that you mention it they didn't do anything from after they resurrected it in the late 80s with all the young talent that ended up spreading to the big 2.

I've actually been watching some of those 87 shows recently, the stuff with the VC express and Gama and young Owen when he was like the purest white meat baby face ever. I didn't even realize that Keiichi Yamada was a young unmasked Jushin Liger until I watched a match against the VC express and was like "man that guy is really good I should look him up" haha. I really enjoy it, definitely one of the more enjoyable weekly tvs for me. I guess some of it is pretty bad but in an endearing way, like Jason the Terrible and Makhan Singh are awful gimmicks but I love them. The commentary is fantastic too. Ed Whalen is basically the Canuck Lance Russell..... Ohhhh it's gonna be a ring a ding dong dandy!

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #858 on: November 03, 2022, 03:16:50 PM »
Yeah I watched the "ucey" segment and it was so great watching the whole bloodline try not to laugh at sami.
This was such a great moment
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

half staff

• Rep: -11
« Reply #859 on: November 03, 2022, 03:34:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Hmm... Trying to think who's still active and has worked with them. They're in Baltimore so it could be like anyone from the NE indies but Tony has been doing a great job of making me groan with his decision making lately so the logical choice is Matt Taven. I guess Daniels would make sense too since he already works there. Then again Tony loves surprises and Jericho so it'll probably be someone like Suzuki that Jericho will want to wrestle.

Rest of the card could be fun... OC vs Rey Fenix vs Luchasaurus will be a spot fest and Samoa Joe vs Brian Cage could be interesting. Don't care about the Mox match. I understand that he just likes to wrestle but I'm just sick of watching him "defend" the belt every week. Appreciate what he does but I can't wait to see him drop the belt to MJF and let us see if the kid is as good as he says he is. Darby vs Lethal will probably be good too. Maybe Darby will fulfill Jeff Hardy's destiny and do a Swanton off Satnam's brow ridge.
old funky ass abdullah the butcher wouldn't let kamala make any  money in japan. fat ass abdullah thebutcher wanted to be the only black wrestler in japan.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #860 on: November 03, 2022, 05:28:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah I actually kind of wonder how much of the content is driven by the guests and how much is them getting guests who they know will have stories. Now that you mention it they didn't do anything from after they resurrected it in the late 80s with all the young talent that ended up spreading to the big 2.

I've actually been watching some of those 87 shows recently, the stuff with the VC express and Gama and young Owen when he was like the purest white meat baby face ever. I didn't even realize that Keiichi Yamada was a young unmasked Jushin Liger until I watched a match against the VC express and was like "man that guy is really good I should look him up" haha. I really enjoy it, definitely one of the more enjoyable weekly tvs for me. I guess some of it is pretty bad but in an endearing way, like Jason the Terrible and Makhan Singh are awful gimmicks but I love them. The commentary is fantastic too. Ed Whalen is basically the Canuck Lance Russell..... Ohhhh it's gonna be a ring a ding dong dandy!

I remember the Gamma/Cobra matches being really good.  Makahn, Kerry Brown, Duke Meyers we’re just these big white slugs that were so hateable.  I guess Stu had a formula of young baby’s and old heels and stuck to it.  Loved how Ed Whalen ended up doing Flames games….only in Alberta would that have worked….

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #861 on: November 03, 2022, 09:57:57 PM »
Shibata had a week Free and asked to a match with Orange and a match with Danielson so they made it happen.  It’s fine it’s fun. 

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #862 on: November 03, 2022, 10:36:29 PM »
Shibata had a week Free and asked to a match with Orange and a match with Danielson so they made it happen.  It’s fine it’s fun.

I mean he could have said he had a week off and wanted them to film him playing in traffic, but it doesn't mean it should happen. Sometimes you have to save people from themselves. When you read how close he came to dying and the crazy shit they had to do to save him, it's just not worth the risk.

I don't need to see another circle of panicked wrestlers freaking out because their hero took a normal bump and started turning blue like Misawa or Perro Aguayo. That's traumatizing as fuck for the crowd and if that shit happens on a PPV here in the states it will fundamentally change the industry and it won't be for the better. I would not be surprised if it completely ruined the company. It just seems completely not worth it for an undercard match.

It's no different than Flair wrestling with a pacemaker as far as I'm concerned, actually maybe even worse since brains are far more serious and difficult to actually work on when something bad happens. I watched the Flair thing through my fingers and I don't even like him. I'm definitely not taking a chance on watching someone I respect like Shibata die in front of me.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #863 on: November 03, 2022, 11:25:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I mean he could have said he had a week off and wanted them to film him playing in traffic, but it doesn't mean it should happen. Sometimes you have to save people from themselves. When you read how close he came to dying and the crazy shit they had to do to save him, it's just not worth the risk.

I don't need to see another circle of panicked wrestlers freaking out because their hero took a normal bump and started turning blue like Misawa or Perro Aguayo. That's traumatizing as fuck for the crowd and if that shit happens on a PPV here in the states it will fundamentally change the industry and it won't be for the better. I would not be surprised if it completely ruined the company. It just seems completely not worth it for an undercard match.

It's no different than Flair wrestling with a pacemaker as far as I'm concerned, actually maybe even worse since brains are far more serious and difficult to actually work on when something bad happens. I watched the Flair thing through my fingers and I don't even like him. I'm definitely not taking a chance on watching someone I respect like Shibata die in front of me.

I’ll be honest I don’t know much about his health other than the accident, but I figured he was fine now to get cleared.   I put it in the Sting category

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #864 on: November 04, 2022, 02:59:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ll be honest I don’t know much about his health other than the accident, but I figured he was fine now to get cleared.   I put it in the Sting category

Unfortunately getting cleared often just means going to enough docs until you find one willing to sign the paper. And you'll always find one eventually, especially if you're in Florida and backed by a billionaire.

My main issue with it is that a subdural haematoma can be relatively benign, or it can be "you're going to die if we don't remove part your skull and clean out all the congealed blood that's accumulated in there from your bleeding brain." Based on how long he was out, I'm inclined to believe it was the latter in this case. And like all TBIs the outcomes are wildly unpredictable.

I know the odds are he works and everything goes according to plan and we forget about it, but if something DOES go wrong you can't feign ignorance anymore. Anyone who books him at this point is incurring some level of responsibility for him. That's probably not as big of a deal in Japan or Mexico where you can't sue people into oblivion and athlete head trauma aren't as much of mainstream hot button issues, but I just feel like if it happens here it's going to be a disaster.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #865 on: November 04, 2022, 01:22:39 PM »
Just watched the crown jewel press conference. Fucking disgusting. The crowd chanted "we want Sami" as if they don't know the reason he's not there.

Kinda questioning whether I want to start watching this again now to be honest. I had hoped they'd at least be less evil under HHH but then I see him and Steph up there thanking and giving belts to dictators and promoting Jake Paul and shit and its pretty hard to want to give them my money or attention.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 01:31:31 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #866 on: November 04, 2022, 02:22:58 PM »
Just watched the crown jewel press conference. Fucking disgusting. The crowd chanted "we want Sami" as if they don't know the reason he's not there.

Kinda questioning whether I want to start watching this again now to be honest. I had hoped they'd at least be less evil under HHH but then I see him and Steph up there thanking and giving belts to dictators and promoting Jake Paul and shit and its pretty hard to want to give them my money or attention.

Never forget HHH ratted our Bret Hart for the Montreal screw job to happen

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #867 on: November 07, 2022, 05:57:59 AM »
Why isn't Sami there? I'm not aware. Just protested going?

I watched the PPV and really for real, how is Logan Paul one of the best performers on the roster?

Jake's worked punches looked bad but they were his first ones so we'll give him a little pass.

Brock v Booby wasn't that good but def better than Braun and Omos.

How long does Bray talk about nothing before he wrestles?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #868 on: November 07, 2022, 07:57:28 AM »
Why isn't Sami there? I'm not aware. Just protested going?

I watched the PPV and really for real, how is Logan Paul one of the best performers on the roster?

Jake's worked punches looked bad but they were his first ones so we'll give him a little pass.

Brock v Booby wasn't that good but def better than Braun and Omos.

How long does Bray talk about nothing before he wrestles?

Sami is Syrian.   His SA protest stems from that relationship.  (MVP couldn’t go bc he is an atheist)

Bray will talk about nothing for as long as he can.  Nothing killed the Fiend like actually having to have him in the ring

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #869 on: November 07, 2022, 08:28:50 AM »
Ahhh yes, I just found that out. Thanks.

I just can't believe they flew Bray all the way there to cut a promo that would have been just fine on RAW tonight.