Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 40905 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #900 on: November 17, 2022, 05:14:54 AM »
IG Post removed Atiba, what was it?

Not a bad go-home show. Thankfully they put sammy on first so I was able to go make something to eat during that match. Toni vs Anna Jay was pretty good, can't wait to see Hayter rip her head off at the PPV. Surprised they put Ethan Page over Bandido... I guess they're going to push him as the star of the firm?

Trios match was a little disappointing for me but AR Fox put on a show. Wouldn't be mad if they signed him, he'd be a great dude to park at Dailys place and have work with the young guys on dark. Afterwards Pac cut a rambling promo announcing the match with the elite for full gear. It seemed like the LB were kinda going easy during the match so I'm guessing that means they plan to go balls out at the PPV. I definitely don't want to miss that one.

Swerve beat Bowens in an ok match. Bowens isn't on his level yet and it showed, but he can sell and he's very sympathetic for the AEW audience so it works well enough with swerve's vicious heel style.

I realized when there was about 20 minutes left that there weren't going to be any more matches and the main event was MJFs promo. It didn't disappoint. Mox was pretty unbearable and fucked up the date of the PPV so that was nice. MJF got the first real pop of the night and gave yet another promo worthy of the "generational talent" label.

Not sure if they're going to turn Regal. Tony is doing some TNA level booking lately so I can't really predict what he's going to do haha.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #901 on: November 17, 2022, 06:20:13 AM »
It was a photoshop of Cena’s upper half on someone skating

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #902 on: November 18, 2022, 01:02:48 PM »
Hahahaha wonder why that was removed. Surprised Biebel hasn't tried wrestling yet. You'd think a juice head who loves attention would be all over something like that and skating is probably a pretty solid base, you definitely inherently learn body control and how to fall. He might be too dumb to actually work though.

Dynamite rating was brutal. That's what happens when you start it off with Sammy I guess. Wish Tony would finally listen to his audience and stop giving us the same tired bcc vs JAS, Moxley tough guy promo, token women's match and a flippy guy tag/trios match show every week. I guess he's all about the numbers and analytics so hopefully he finally responds now that they're in the shitter and the arenas have been half empty. He has 150+ people under contract and is paying 80% of them to sit at home and work indy dates for. Cornette is wrong about a lot of people but I'll be damned if Tony isn't doing a great job of making it look like he was right about him not understanding how to grow his audience. He did a good job of getting lapsed fans like myself into it but between the ROH shit and his indy booking he's never going to capture a mainstream audience the way WWE does. The shows have gone from feeling like NWO era wcw to feeling like TNA.

Hope he hard resets his strategy after the PPV. Get the belts on the elite and MJF. Get Wardlow and Hobbs into their own program with no ROH stink on it. Strip thunder Rosa and put Hayter and Britt in a blood feud for the belt. Stop booking joshis and flippy indy guys on Dynamite. Sammy needs to go away...give it at least 3 months to air out the room and then maybe try again. Stop letting Jericho book his own storylines, he's awesome but he's still Jericho and he's going to look out for himself and his buddies. I love Jericho when he's doing the gimmick matches and elevating guys like Eddie, but I don't want to see him win or even wrestle every single week. Get Ricky Starks back on TV. Finally do the bucks vs FTR for the title of "best tag team in the world", you can always make them split wins or do a broadway if you don't want to declare one the winner.

I'm really curious to see what the buy rate looks like for the PPV. I'm assuming it's going to be low which is a shame because MJF is going to make history one way or another. It's time to give the devil his due...

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #903 on: November 18, 2022, 01:46:53 PM »
I was listening a meltzer clip on YouTube and he said this PPV is historically the lowest buy rate bc of the season and it being a Saturday.   I hope the WB deal starts soon bc it would only help AEW to show these for free on an app like WWE does

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #904 on: November 19, 2022, 08:58:55 PM »
“There’ll be peace when you are gone.”

The shade thrown with that entrance theme.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #905 on: November 19, 2022, 09:27:42 PM »
Well we all saw it coming but for once they did the right thing. Fell asleep through most of it but woke up just in time for the main. Will rewatch the rest eventually.

Max is actually better in the ring than most people give him credit for but I feel like a lot of it is kind of lost on a modern audience. The little things he does are so great, like the finger on the rope and the facial expressions. It all fits him soooo well. Those are the things that things that get people emotionally engaged (whether or not they realize it) so in the long term that's so much more valuable than all of the flashy moves and flips you can do. I legit fist pumped and started happy clapping when Regal slipped him the knucks. I don't do that during a Bandido match and that's the difference it makes.

Alright kid, you got the strap. Let's see if you can turn this bus around.

I'll recap the rest for you when I watch it SHAQUEEFA.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #906 on: November 19, 2022, 09:32:53 PM »
“There’ll be peace when you are gone.”

The shade thrown with that entrance theme.

I like that they just let it play all the way through the first verse haha. Tony was like "ok you little shits I had to shell out a ton of money for this you're going to use as much of it as possible"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #907 on: November 19, 2022, 11:21:55 PM »
I think the difference is that MJF matches are rare things, often only for PPVs, while someone like Bandidos got to go out every week and do stuff.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #908 on: November 19, 2022, 11:57:27 PM »
- Hungle Boy vs Luchasaurus was a great choice for an opener. Really impressed with how Luchasaurus has been working lately. Classic underdog baby face storytelling with JB getting a really nice old school crimson mask mixed with some modern high spots and creative flippy shit. They used the environment well and it had a bit of an attitude era cage match feel to it, so I was into it. That elbow was insane too, it looked like that was probably legitimately painful as hell to receive.

- Trios title match. Insane pop. Old AEW feel and truly 6 of the best wrestlers in the world. Just watch it, I can't even begin to recap all the spots. Nick Jackson and Fenix stood out as usual. I fucking LOVED the finish. Gotta love a good blue ball job.

- Nyla vs Jade. Did they have Marina Shafir dressed up like a cholo? What the fuck? Jade's a star. It was ugly as fuck but looked like a fight and Jade's presence is undeniable. Nyla did her job well, she looked like a threat and was a reasonable mountain to climb. Vickie is a human air raid siren.

- Skipped the 4 way. You know why.

- Britt vs Saraya. Hated the "oh I got hurt on the first bump after a long injury" spot they always do. Pretty boring and a little sloppy. They were definitely taking it a little easy, lots of holds and selling. Britt took the majority of the bumps after the neckbreaker spot. Dunno if it was ring rust or just a lack of chemistry but their timing wasn't there and the finish sucked.

- thick boy 3 way... WCW would have called it the stockyard match, 3 bulls in one pen! Hobbs is a specimen and he gets it. He has that Ron Simmons presence. Wardlow needs some new spots... I can only pop for the whisper in the wind so many times. It wasn't really his fault that his reign fizzled out, I'd say that was more the booking, but it was time to move on. I liked it, lots of beef on beef and Joe is a safe champ as long as he's healthy.

- Saggy slap nuts and Lethal vs Darby and Sting... I can't believe I watched Memphis 87 earlier today and now this and JJ was on both. They fucked up the camera on whatever ramp spot Darby did with his board (FA on indys? Didn't catch the graphic) and almost missed the guitar shot. Walk n brawl spot fest but half these dudes are AARP eligible. The Satnam stuff was pretty cool... Lots of creative shit you can only do with a giant. That coffin drop spot with Darby was wild. They might have something with Satnam.

Alright that's as much as I can do right now.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #909 on: November 20, 2022, 12:14:58 AM »
I miss Wardlows turnbuckle knee finisher.   That thing looked like a killer and three power bombs don’t do much for me.   

Dude also has an amazing swanton

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 32
« Reply #910 on: November 21, 2022, 01:45:25 PM »
So I missed the PPV on Saturday night. Tried to watch the rewatch last night and fell asleep during the tag title match.

I watched some recaps so I'm caught up.

Here's what I thought:

- Cage match first was pretty sick.

- Great trios match but can they keep it fresh 7 fucking times? A best of 7 series? Really? Even the most passionate YB/Omega/DT fans could probably agree that is too much. Maybe Fenix will just go deeper down the heel rabbit hole each match and eventually him and PAC  turn on Penta? Not sure but I also am not sure how the Bucks and Omega are gonna be the top babyfaces with ole Don Callis as manager. Just doen't make sense.

- I pooped during nyla and Jade and at the end of it feel like I made the right call. Stolen belts? Mehhhhh

- 4-way match was actually really good with a great finish. No fuckery involved either which I actually liked. Jericho doing the     
   flying judas effect to Claudio while he was spinning Sammy around was a great visual.

- SAraya and Britt was about what was expected. I nice safe match to get her back in the swing of things, but I bet they run
  tag matches with TOni and Saraya v Hayter/Baker for a bit while Saraya gets her legs back.

- I enjoyed the meat fest, but Joe winning was the only outcome I didn't want. Put the younger guys over and you are still ROH TV champ. Why give him 2 belts if the goal is to eventually have a clear difference between the brands.

- I know I know, he's whack. But ole Double J actually had one of my favorite spots of the night hitting Darby with the guitar
   mid coffing drop. And Satnam catching him off the ladder was sick. Darby is starting to do the Hardy boys finger gun to
   the head thing when he about to do a gnarly spot and I think its a great tribute. And the Scorpion Death drop / Coffin drop
   combo to Satnam was pretty sick.

- Slept through the tag match but like what I read. Get SIOG away from each other.

- Time for that vacay MOX has very much earned. I like the guy, but his act just went stale. Come back with some new shit.
  BCC is dead without Regal and those dudes didn't seem like a great fit together anyway. I'm really glad the devil exposed
  himself.

So who goes after MJF first? I feel like MJF about to take us for a fucking ride and I am here for it.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #911 on: November 22, 2022, 09:03:50 PM »
That double J guitar spot was probably third for me behind the satnam coffin drop off the ladder and the Machungle Boy elbow drop. The timing and way they shot it was perfect. The coffin drop/sdd combo on Satnam was something that I forgot to mention but I popped hard for that shit... Really I thought they used Satnam really well and even if the guy is never going to have 30 minute chain wrestling clinics I think this kind of thing is how to build him. You can't book the kind of physical presence he has so it's smart to highlight it with spots like that.

The swiog tag is exactly what put me out when it rewatched it hahaha. Not that I don't like the guys involved, but it was 3 hours into the show and felt like a Dynamite match more than a PPV blowoff so I didn't really care.

I know you are a connoisseur of cheeks so I will say Nyla and Jade is worth watching once you figure out that Jade isn't wearing green tights. I didn't realize it was body paint for a solid 5 minutes. Forget Stokely and the job squad, that thing is the real firm.

I feel like the 7 match trios series is a horrible idea and they're going to kill themselves both physically and heat wise. Feels like the old HBK or HHH vanity booking. Maybe 2/3 I could see, but 7 matches of slightly different spots and dives doesn't really interest me. I'm assuming the idea is slowly Penta and Fenix are going to turn to the dark side with the stupid little hammer when they fall behind or something but it's just meh to me. We've seen so many variations of this already and now you're just going to beat it into the ground for no good reason.

Britt and Saraya stunk, didn't need to happen, and makes the women's division even less exciting now that we have another former fed castaway well past their prime that Tony feels compelled to push because he spent a load of money on her. I don't even know if it was ring rust, it looked like they didn't even practice any of the spots except the neckbreaker and honestly I think the standard of work now might just be higher than she's capable of at this point. It took Tony almost 9 months to finally figure out that Jamie Hayter should be women's champ, let's see how long it takes him to figure out Paige shouldn't be, because you know his mark ass is going to put the belt on her.

Speaking of Hayter, that match with Toni was pretty good. They beat the shit out of each other and showed that chemistry I mentioned noticing when they were working together overseas. And then as if I wasn't already in love with Hayter enough, she shows up to the media scrum in a deathwish hoodie. Not sure if that means she's hanging with Darby behind the scenes or she just likes skate companies.

BCC was stale after a few weeks anyways and only worked because Regal is so good. I started to really hate that dumb elbow spot, it never looked good or believable to me. The less I have to see Wheeler Yuta squeak into a mic and try to dance or look cool, the better.

Curious who they put up against MJF too but it doesn't matter, he'll make them look good.

About to watch the world class TFTT. Looking forward to this one. One of my top 3 territories ever.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #912 on: November 22, 2022, 09:05:44 PM »
It seems Starks and Kingston are on deck for Max

I love/hate TFTT because I love hearing these stories, but it’s just scratching the surface and I bet the best ones are ones they can’t tell on television.   

@Buttfart Rapedick have you ever read the Blood Red Means Dollar Green books?    I might be overselling it with this comparison, but think Game of Thrones but wjtb the NWA belts.    It’s no where near that level, but from what I remember it’s a crime story about the territories maneuvering on one another

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #913 on: November 22, 2022, 10:07:50 PM »
Not read them but I will now that I know they exist. I actually haven't read any fiction in the last few years so it should be interesting. Added the first one to my amazon list.

Watching this TFTT episode is awesome. Chavo is good at this and what I like about it is you can really feel the camaraderie between these dudes. When they're talking about Kevin you can just hear and see the admiration they still have for him. He's still a step above mortal to them because they're from world class and he's a Von Erich. The freebirds stuff is so fucking wild haha... Imagine being at work one day and gigantic poofy headed Terry Gordy just smashes his way in and starts pissing on your floor.

For all the people who complain about the cage match being about getting out rather than keeping in, now you know who to blame haha.

The Manning story feels like something that could have only happened in the 80s.

Kevin Von Erich has been through so much more than any person should, and he still has this great attitude and perspective. He's a real life babyface.

Next week we get Crockett featuring James E. Cornette. Should be a blast.

Totally feel you about just scratching the surface Atiba.. That's why I spend so much time reading like wrestling with sin and old message board threads and blogs and listening to Cornette and shoot interviews and stuff like that. There's just so many crazy stories and it's such a different world than today's wrestling.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #914 on: November 22, 2022, 10:56:38 PM »
The only wrestling bio I’ve read besides Have a Nice Day had a funny anecdote about the subject and his friend getting drunk and trying to find the Zodiac in SF near his purported hunting grounds.    Forget his name, will look it up

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 32
« Reply #915 on: November 23, 2022, 04:54:17 AM »
Maybe Wardlow gets a shot because he is one of the few in AEW that already has a clean win over MJF. That could be a good call back maybe for one fued and MJF cheats this time and gets the win back.

I feel like the only way MJF will stay heel is his cheating methods have to start getting gnarlier and gnarlier. Guarantee he gets the biggest pop when they announce him tonight, even though he cheated to beat their beloved jon moxley.

i did like in the match when he did the ironic babyface stuff it was great. Posing for the crowd. We are really witnessing one of the great ones in the beginning stages of a legendary run.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #916 on: November 23, 2022, 05:12:34 PM »
Maybe Wardlow gets a shot because he is one of the few in AEW that already has a clean win over MJF. That could be a good call back maybe for one fued and MJF cheats this time and gets the win back.

I feel like the only way MJF will stay heel is his cheating methods have to start getting gnarlier and gnarlier. Guarantee he gets the biggest pop when they announce him tonight, even though he cheated to beat their beloved jon moxley.

i did like in the match when he did the ironic babyface stuff it was great. Posing for the crowd. We are really witnessing one of the great ones in the beginning stages of a legendary run.

I thought the same thing about the War Dong. He would be a great first feud, but they have to do it in a way that doesn't totally bury him.

I really hope they don't turn him until they absolutely have to. Let him be the Rock or Flair of this generation... You can cheer him all you want but he ain't gonna stop cheating.

Just started watching Dynamite. Regal is amazing and I hate the Chicago crowd. That's all I have so far.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #917 on: November 23, 2022, 08:10:11 PM »
I love how muddled this whole CM Punk thing is.    It really seems like it’s learning towards a work and I’ve seen people suggest that maybe Punk will be the former ROH champ that dethrones Jericho (who recently trademarked Seltzer King - which seems Punky). 

Either way I’m fine, but I love seeing AEW rile up the wwe fans that whine about them

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #918 on: November 24, 2022, 06:16:19 AM »
Holy fucking shit Jericho's chest getting hard wayed by Ishii chops is one of the more brutal things I've seen in modern wrestling. The match honestly kind of sucked until the 5 minutes and that spot went on way too long but man that visual of blood streaming down his chest is going to be in every promo video for the next year. I hope someone got a shot of blood spraying off like the sweat when Kobashi would do his chop battles.

Rest of the show was kinda meh. Trios match was decent, Fenix has the best balance and timing I've seen maybe ever.

They finally stripped Thunder Rosa, hopefully she just goes away now. Why won't they ever let Hayter talk live? She's not the best promo ever but she's at least coherent.

I know the live audience loves it but the scissor me stuff is getting beaten to death for me.

Didn't watch the Tay match because of sammy. Yes I'm that petty and not even Thigh Blue could stop it. It's like they want her to be cheered so badly they put the most likeable baby face female they had with her.

Starks is good but he's not a credible opponent for MJF yet so this better be one and done rather than a full program. Please no more tournaments and interim belts Tony. Everything is fairly cleaned up now, let's keep it that way.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #919 on: November 24, 2022, 09:00:10 AM »
Interim thing for women was tough bc it happened right after they set the precedent with Punk and likely only did it bc it was punk.   T

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #920 on: November 25, 2022, 04:11:57 AM »
Yeah I know but Tony seems like a mark for the whole lineal champion thing, so I worry he'll make the same mistake when the situation inevitably arises again.

Thankfully I don't think that's going to be an issue with the HW belt since MJF doesn't work a very risky style. I can definitely see it happening with the trios belts again though... I feel like it's kind of the same conundrum that new Japan was running into a few years back where it's really hard to work epic strong style matches consistently and stay healthy unless you're a mutant like Ospreay or Ibushi.

I feel like the belts are mostly on the right people now to really start to give them some credibility and prestige again. Not that there was anything wrong with Moxley, I just think a long MJF reign would make it special the same way Flair or even Punk did in their respective eras. They need to get rid of one of Joe's belts though. The ROH TV belt is kind of hilarious to me anyways considering they don't have a tv show anymore/yet.

I don't know if I buy the Punk stuff being a work. I think the bucks are just antagonistic enough to work a match like that and Tony is enough of a mark/pushover to let them do it. I don't think the constant sniping at WWE and mentioning guys like Cody and Punk is something they should be doing going forward. It comes off as cheap heat and a mild inferiority complex most of the time. Like I said the other day.. it strikes me as very TNA like.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #921 on: November 26, 2022, 06:57:27 PM »
Might sound like a weird question, but I’m looking for someone to be a historical basis here:

Who was the best/coolest black wrestler of the late territory days (late 70s/early 80s)

Junk Yard Dog was who popped first into my mind but maybe that’s because I associate Ron Simmons with the Fed so much (I know about Doom).   Guys like Bearcat and Butch Reed I kinda have heard about recently, and Koko and Kamala seemed maybe too gimmick-based but this time period isn’t really my forte.   

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #922 on: November 26, 2022, 08:14:11 PM »
Might sound like a weird question, but I’m looking for someone to be a historical basis here:

Who was the best/coolest black wrestler of the late territory days (late 70s/early 80s)

Junk Yard Dog was who popped first into my mind but maybe that’s because I associate Ron Simmons with the Fed so much (I know about Doom).   Guys like Bearcat and Butch Reed I kinda have heard about recently, and Koko and Kamala seemed maybe too gimmick-based but this time period isn’t really my forte.

Bad News Allen

Easily one of the most underrated WWF heels of the 80’s too.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #923 on: November 26, 2022, 10:15:44 PM »
Yes that’s who I was thinking of.  Kept getting it mixed up in my head with fucking PN News.   

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #924 on: November 26, 2022, 10:26:03 PM »
In stampede he was prolly the best heel….WWF always made guys look like cornballs..

I never saw JYD pre-WWF but I suspect he was better.  I always thought the precursor to Butch Reed and Ron Simmons was Big Cat Ernie Ladd…

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #925 on: November 27, 2022, 01:06:02 AM »
In stampede he was prolly the best heel….WWF always made guys look like cornballs..

I never saw JYD pre-WWF but I suspect he was better.  I always thought the precursor to Butch Reed and Ron Simmons was Big Cat Ernie Ladd…

Oh that name sounds familiar.  I’ll look him up

Thanks guys!

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #926 on: November 27, 2022, 03:03:10 AM »
Ernie Ladd was one of the best talkers ever, half the dudes in the early 80s were basically just doing Ernie Ladd impressions but yeah for some reason he doesn't get a ton of love these days.

JYD was huuuge in his mid south run, but I don't know if if ever call him great. He was kind of like Honkey Tonk Man, loads of charisma but just barely competent at the actual wrestling part. Tony Atlas would be another name that falls into that category, but much less over than JYD was.

Pez Whatley was around forever and pretty good but never really a star.

Iceman King Parsons and Porkchop Cash were there during the glory days of JCP and were pretty over.

Going back even further, just for historical purposes Sweet Daddy Siki is notable for being flashy and cocky in an era where the black wrestlers were usually either brainless beasts when heel or docile white-washed baby faces.

Thunderbolt Patterson is another name to know, he was one of the first Black wrestlers to stand up for himself and speak out against the rampant racism in those days. Naturally, he was blacklisted to some extent for the rest of his career.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #927 on: November 27, 2022, 07:59:21 AM »
Thank you so much you guys.  This is exactly what I was looking for.   

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #928 on: November 27, 2022, 09:54:49 AM »

Bad News Brown in the WWF was dope. I look at him as the first black heel to use psychology in an era where black wrestlers were lumped into pure brute force. Using the sewer rat to counteract Jake’s python was brilliant.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #929 on: November 27, 2022, 05:53:35 PM »
I just wanted to take note that three separate territories of TFTT have stories of eyes getting slashed/snatched/popped out and the season isn’t even over yet.