Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 40943 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #930 on: November 29, 2022, 02:08:12 AM »
Expand Quote
In stampede he was prolly the best heel….WWF always made guys look like cornballs..

I never saw JYD pre-WWF but I suspect he was better.  I always thought the precursor to Butch Reed and Ron Simmons was Big Cat Ernie Ladd…
[close]

Bad News Brown in the WWF was dope. I look at him as the first black heel to use psychology in an era where black wrestlers were lumped into pure brute force. Using the sewer rat to counteract Jake’s python was brilliant.

So quick story.. when I was like 9 we heard my neighbor shoot something in the alley behind our houses and since it was after dark my dad went out to see what was going on and I tagged along behind him. When we got out there he had a flashlight on the beast he'd slain and I was like "holy crap you killed a sewer rat!". The adults just looked at me like I was a dipshit and ignored me.

He shot a possum that was getting in his garbage cans. For several years of my life I thought possums were called "sewer rats" because of that angle. Didn't find out the truth until a really awkward conversation with my 8th grade science teacher.

Smackdown is coming to town in a couple weeks. My coworker said he wants to take his kid so maybe I'll tag along. I don't watch the show but live wrestling is always fun and I do like the SD roster better than the raw one.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #931 on: November 30, 2022, 04:32:05 PM »
Goddamn that TFTT might have been the best one yet. They just need to give Cornette his own weekly hour show where he tells territory stories. His segment was great but the Crockett plane crash/Tim Woods story is maybe my favorite segment of the series so far. Also so glad they put the Skywalkers footage in, I always crack up at him screaming at Bubba. Wrestling was so much more fun when it was real.

Ricky Morton losing a marriage because Tully found Jesus and went on the 700 club and told a bunch of stories about the crazy old days, and then describing the situation as "no hot tag out of that" made me laugh way harder than it should have.

Glad they gave Baby Doll her due. She gets glossed over sometimes but those Carolina crowds always responded to her in a big way.

SHAQUEEFA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #932 on: December 01, 2022, 04:44:11 AM »
The DEVIL.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #933 on: December 01, 2022, 04:58:29 AM »
We forgot to mention the jobber beater himself Koko B. Ware in black wrestlers from the territories.

https://youtu.be/0KmTdsLMyG0
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #934 on: December 01, 2022, 11:57:06 AM »
Rocky Johnson too….

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #935 on: December 01, 2022, 12:36:00 PM »
Rocky Johnson too….

Yeah I intentionally didn’t mention him bc he sucks as a human in a more public way than others

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #936 on: December 02, 2022, 09:42:27 PM »
Darby v Samoa Joe makes a lot of sense

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #937 on: December 03, 2022, 01:30:23 AM »
Just watched Dynamite finally.

Hangman always gets such a genuine baby face pop. It kind of reminds me of like mid-90s Bret Hart. I absolutely lost it when Moxley tried to attack him and fell off the ramp. Can't wait to see the botchamania endings with that.

Kinda bored of Danielson matches at the moment. His style is better when you only see it every month or two for sure.

Joe vs AR Fox feels like it should have been on Rampage. I like AR and that over the top rope flip bump he does is cool but it isn't going to keep me tuning in.

Anna Jay still kinda sucks but Willow is pretty damn good. Surprised they put her over but I'm not complaining. Her gimmick needs work but in terms of being physical and believable in the ring she may actually already be one of the best girls they have.

What the fuck is going on with Regal? If he's done that's now the second or third time MJF has started a storyline and had it totally changed or ruined by something outside his control. Even as talented as he is, unless you have an actual compelling baby face to chase him it's just gonna be stale and boring after a while.

I'm already over the trios matches. That was the wrestling match equivalent of a lead guitarist playing a 25 minute solo... It comes off as really self serving and pointless. They just want to be told how good they are. I can only get excited about a flippy do, kip up sequence or false finish so many times.
Without a compelling story I'm ambivalent at best, and "will Fenix use the little shawshank redemption hammer?" is not a compelling story. Everything already feels same-y and we still have at least 2 more of these to go. Are they going to at least make one of them a gimmick match?

Overall it all still feels a little too TNA for my tastes. Just do fucking MJF vs Hangman and save this company before it's too late man.

Edit - forgot to mention that the ratings for this episode were putrid. They still haven't stopped the negative momentum and mediocre TV shows aren't gonna change that. The PPV was really good but you can only count on a fraction of your audience having actually watched it, so you need to bring some of that quality to Dynamite. MJF is great but just "we'll hear from MJF" isn't a reason to tune in and you had literally zero build to his big betrayal plus also kinda ruined revealing his custom belt by stuffing it under a more memorable moment. It just seems really sloppy or lazy, like they're just coming up with it the day of the show or a week out at most.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 01:43:55 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #938 on: December 03, 2022, 05:46:51 AM »
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Samoa Joe do the walkaway dodge on one of Darby's dives.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #939 on: December 03, 2022, 09:54:21 AM »
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Samoa Joe do the walkaway dodge on one of Darby's dives.

Did you see him vs AR Fox? He does it there but Fox somehow lands on his feet on a tope flip thing and then pump kicks him. It was my favorite spot of the match.

Joe vs Darby is a good Dynamite undercard match. I don't think too many people will tune in specifically for that, but it's a start. I could see them putting the TNT belt back on Darby just to give him a strap.

FTR vs acclaimed might be a good one too. I'm sure the ass boys will be involved somehow.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #940 on: December 03, 2022, 11:18:48 AM »
Sami Zayn with The Bloodline is the best thing going in wrestling right now.

And he gets a bonus for his kickflip.

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #941 on: December 03, 2022, 03:57:24 PM »
looking for cody rhodes or rock to return at royal rumble, setting up wrestlemania

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #942 on: December 04, 2022, 05:08:42 PM »
Getting plenty of JYD on the season finale Tuesday.    A Mid South ep!

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #943 on: December 06, 2022, 02:00:44 PM »
Getting plenty of JYD on the season finale Tuesday.    A Mid South ep!

I honestly wish they'd have Cornette on the panel for this one too but he doesn't like to leave his house these days so I doubt he was willing to do it. I'm sure they'll have at least one segment about him though.

Mid south circa 82-85 are some of the hottest, craziest crowds and some of the most believable dudes I've ever seen so I can't wait to see the panel for this. I'm sure there's going to be some absolutely batshit stories.

A little indy fun for today.... Strong ECW undercard vibes from this one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qddyne2tF2Y

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #944 on: December 07, 2022, 07:04:13 PM »
I popped for Taz knowing proper skateboard part terminology
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #945 on: December 07, 2022, 07:05:21 PM »
Starks can def hold his own on the mic.   That low blow timing was so funny

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #946 on: December 08, 2022, 06:22:33 PM »
Really liked the passion from Starks but he rambled a bit and jumped around at various points. One of those promos that would be amazing to be in the crowd for, but on TV it felt like it was about 30 seconds too long. It'll come with time hopefully, but it was a bit noticeable when sandwiched between MJF and Joe's pretape, who are both incredibly eloquent. I cracked up at the dime store Dwayne line because that's exactly how I saw his old gimmick. There's definitely something there though, especially if he learns to focus it better and keeps building it into this firey baby face character.

The battle royale... Tony sure loves his gimmicks because he can't figure out how to book people into championship storylines huh? At least it wasn't a tournament this time I guess. I hate that they eliminated all the people who could realistically win it or the crowd would enjoy right away. Naturally I was begging for Dustin to win since he just announced that 2023 is going to be his last year and it would be a crime if he retires without at least one world title (black) reign.

Joe and Darby was pretty sick. Basically what I expected, I even felt the coffin drop into coquina clutch coming haha. Muscle buster on the trucks was nasty but at least it was cruiser wheels and those lovely cushiony soft indy bushings

And of course we're getting another mystery opponent match. He really is totally out of ideas isn't he? Please hire a booking team already.

The Regal thing was really cringe worthy. Yeah he totally taped an interview with a sappy message weeks ago just in case something happened! If he's leaving just write him off and don't talk about him anymore, don't try this stupid retcon "I swear we filmed this week's ago and not today" shit. You already got rid of him on camera twice, did we really need a fake interview to close that door?

Claudio VS Hager was decent but I'm not a huge fan of either guy. I don't really like superman booking unless it's a champion or super top dog, when midcard Claudio does it It feels kinda hokey to me.

They finally let Hayter talk, albeit not live, and it was good. Cocky little brit brat that can back it up, getting some light Chris Adam's vibes from her. Also I've never really noticed it before but that belt looks really good, it might be my favorite women's belt ever actually. Hayter looks great too.

Thigh Blue looks like she's been working out a little bit. Slightly less jiggling than usual, but I'm not complaining. Shes getting better in the ring too, she needs to come out of her shell a little but the connection with the fans is there and she's pretty smooth. Great selling and bump taking as well.

Main event I didn't really care about even though it's two decent teams. I do wonder how many dumb old wrasslin fans there are who hate the acclaimed for being "woke" though, so I guess FTR was an interesting opponent for that reason... Kind of an old school VS new school thing. Still didn't care though since there was no reason to be invested and both are babyface teams.

Pretty mixed bag overall. There was some decent stuff and in-ring was good but man their booking is still putrid and it's still hard to watch them make the same mistakes over and over again. It feels like they're scrambling week to week rather than moving through a planned progression right now.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 02:15:44 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #947 on: December 09, 2022, 04:41:27 AM »
I'm still trying to give Tony some time to grow into the role. He really is learning on the fly without a shred of wrestling experience. I read in an interview that when the company started he had a clear vision and already decided the first 4 champs would be Jericho, Mox, Omega, and Hangman with a clear idea on how to get to all those places. I feel like everything was good/great until the point CM Punk won the title. They had a lot of steam at that point and lost it all with Punk getting injured, coming back, winning the belt back, the media scrum fiasco, having to ditch what would have probably been a 6 month Punk/MJF fued also while not having a returning from injury Omega and Young Bucks. One PPV took 4 of your top guys off the card for months and obviously there was plans for them that had to be scrapped. So yes, it does look like a lot of on the fly booking, but dude has kinda been going through it with his roster. He may be to blame for some of that but it is what it is.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #948 on: December 09, 2022, 04:44:19 AM »
Don’t forget punk got injured again on the 2nd title win so he would have been out for months again.   

He said on Wednesday that ROH is going to be de-emphasized after the PPV and will be announcing their tv deal.   

He’s also been dealing with his mom suffered a stroke or two at the time of all the punk drama to the present.   

As much as black and gold NXT got me into PW, HHH will always be the toady that ratted out Bret Hart at the Montreal Screwjob and the careerist who married the boss’s daughter and threw chyna to the curb.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #949 on: December 10, 2022, 01:35:52 AM »
Pretty good Rampage!   I was seeing the Trent Seven rumors on-line, but I kept thinking about Best Friends Trent and couldn’t figure out what it meant, but he gave a solid match.   Wonder if Tyler Bate will come over.   NXT doesn’t seem to be using him

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #950 on: December 11, 2022, 01:34:49 PM »
FTR and The Briscoes killed it again.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #951 on: December 11, 2022, 05:22:27 PM »

The Briscoes are tag team royalty. Way better than any AEW tag team.

They’d fit well on the new HHH WWE.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #952 on: December 11, 2022, 06:56:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Getting milk sprayed on them?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #953 on: December 11, 2022, 07:10:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They’d pull it off. They’re always eating snacks in their promos.

They have a good combination of in-ring and character work.

Also, Otis’ character was meant for the milk spray hi-jinx.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #954 on: December 11, 2022, 07:50:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I don’t know.  You seem to have a much higher esteem of WWE than I do.   I think if HHH wanted them (or was able to use them) he would have when he was raiding ROH for NXT

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #955 on: December 12, 2022, 04:26:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don’t know.  You seem to have a much higher esteem of WWE than I do.   I think if HHH wanted them (or was able to use them) he would have when he was raiding ROH for NXT

I just think WWE is putting out an overall better product right now.

They’d fit the current WWE better now, but they definitely would have fit 2013-2018 NXT as well. They probably wouldn’t want to go anywhere too demanding. They’re family men who actually run a chicken farm.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #956 on: December 13, 2022, 03:45:58 AM »
I'm still trying to give Tony some time to grow into the role. He really is learning on the fly without a shred of wrestling experience. I read in an interview that when the company started he had a clear vision and already decided the first 4 champs would be Jericho, Mox, Omega, and Hangman with a clear idea on how to get to all those places. I feel like everything was good/great until the point CM Punk won the title. They had a lot of steam at that point and lost it all with Punk getting injured, coming back, winning the belt back, the media scrum fiasco, having to ditch what would have probably been a 6 month Punk/MJF fued also while not having a returning from injury Omega and Young Bucks. One PPV took 4 of your top guys off the card for months and obviously there was plans for them that had to be scrapped. So yes, it does look like a lot of on the fly booking, but dude has kinda been going through it with his roster. He may be to blame for some of that but it is what it is.

I'd be a lot more forgiving if he didn't keep making the same mistakes over and over. I was hoping the PPV would be a good reset point but here we are right back to battle royals and mystery opponents and just all the hallmarks of being out of ideas. One step forward and 2 steps back. I give it a month tops before we get a "surprise announcement" or pointless new signing or new belt or something.

You're right that he's had absolutely terrible luck with his top stars leaving or getting hurt though the punk/elite thing is something he could have stepped in and fixed at any point but he was too busy marking out over punk. And the whole regal thing was kind of embarrassing but the sappy fake interview was the cherry on a shit cake.

I think a big part of the problem is he just doesn't have time to do all the things he wants to do but he's not willing to let anyone else do them for him. Even like 1-2 people to book the undercard while he concentrates on the main event and being the boss would be a better signing than the next guy wwe releases or indy darling that pops the crowd on dark. Outside of Kenny & the bucks the only person he seems to listen to is Jericho which is great if you're Jericho or one of his cronies, but not always the best thing for the product. Pretty much anything outside of the major belts feels like an afterthought to me most of the time and the undercard is just all over the place. It feels like there's either no one booking it or 50 people booking themselves but I'm not sure which it is.

MJF and Ricky should be a good build no matter what because they're both crazy talented. I'm a little worried about how the in-ring will turn out if they ask them to go 25-30 minutes but otherwise that should be a wide open slam dunk program. I think Ricky was the right opponent because the fans really wanted to cheer for MJF after he won and there weren't a lot of dudes they would boo him against.

I really hope everything settles and they can turn things around because last year and the first part of this year was some of the most fun I've had watching wrestling in a really long time. Its not a lost cause or terrible by any means, but it could be really good again with a few tweaks and some focus on the right things.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #957 on: December 14, 2022, 07:22:15 PM »
DYNAMITE SPOILER

Rad for Yankee Osprey.  Wish I watched that live.   Still being vague, but I love when wrestling can surprise you and it’s seemingly within storyline for CJ

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #958 on: December 15, 2022, 08:15:03 AM »
Got stoned and took notes for dynamite -

AEW paying for the roundball rock theme for the bucks is kinda hilarious. It's forever ruined for me by the SNL skit with Tim Robinson (who actually skates and has done some skate related comedy, including a commercial for a fake board company with Darby) though. I reflexively start singing "b-b-b-b-basketball" as soon as I hear it now. I wonder what the bill for the elites extra music rights this year is?

Holy fuck MJF is just on a different level. The old coach jacket and the scarf as a towel around the neck look got a huge pop out of me.

Jumping the acclaimed during their rap and then going straight into 2012 TNA mode with slapnuts might be the biggest "fuck you" to fans Tony could make right now. Not sure how I feel about that one. Jarrett is fine in small doses or if he's behind the scenes but like I said on his debut... He's a carny and Tony is a mark so he will 100% get himself on TV and likely end up holding a belt if he can.

Didn't get to the skip button fast enough and had to hear a Sammy promo. Is he trying to do some kind of shitty Italian gangster accent now? Just when I thought he couldn't be any more awful.

Hungle Boy and Big Bill is something I can get behind for sure. I like both of them and I'm curious to see what spots he can pull off with a 7 foot base. Do we eventually get Luchasaurus returning to save him?

Why is Brian Cage suddenly on every show? I'm not complaining, since he stopped doing all the lucha shit and just became a stiff powerhouse I've liked him more. Hes still stiff (in more than one way) and a bit wooden but he's working like a NJPW gaijin heel now.

Wheeler Yuta is the most unconvincing tough guy I've seen in a long time. I think he could be good with an actual character but this scrappy doo shit doesn't do anything for me.

Brody King is a fucking hoss. Love that dude. Sad he didn't get to actually wrestle. Nick Comoroto doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would be unhappy about Julia spitting in his face, black mist or not.

Was that the first thigh blue promo? That's a push I can get behind. Please, please let me get behind that.

I'm so ready for the paranoid, washed up, lost his confidence Jericho character. This could be fucking gold. He's starting to look like shit again too, I wonder if he went off the juice specifically for this storyline.

Also couldn't help but notice that Aubrey looked like she got shot with Homer Simpson's makeup gun on the "whore" setting.

Skipped Tay and ruby.

Hangman with an amazing baby face promo. Literally.

Dustin is on rampage so I guess I'm watching rampage this week. I'd love to see him go full goldust and take danhausen under his wing for like a month.

Loved the proper introductions for the main. The champ looks fucking great, I feel like he put 15 pounds of muscle on while he was gone and 5 of it went to his ass.

Every time I watch an MJF match I'm so impressed with the little things. All the classic heel shit, the facials, the selling, the way he works the crowd. Beating people with a dick kick. He even had "pebble skipper" written on his elbow pad. That rope break spot was awesome, I've never seen that one before. Really dug it and I can't wait to hear all the dumbfuck marks whining about how he never wins clean... That's the point. I know another world champ who didn't win clean for about a decade, his name is Ric Flair. I think his run turned out OK.

Danielson next for MJF? I think I would have rather had Eddie first to give MJF a few more wins before having him vanquish someone who's supposed to be the best wrestler in the world. I sorta think it hurts BD more than it helps MJF.

Much better episode this week. Im actually excited to see where they go with the newest version of Jericho and with MJF's reign of terror.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #959 on: December 15, 2022, 10:02:06 AM »
Just heard Cornette refer to something Darby did as a "Deathwish Bump" and I don't think he knows how good of a pun that is.

I've been listening to his stuff lately and even if you don't agree with him, he is funny as shit.