Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 45062 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1020 on: January 05, 2023, 05:32:06 AM »
Jericho loss streak is gonna be fun. I don't care about anyone in his AS but I have to thank @SHAQUEEFA for once again bestowing a perfect nickname on Anna and Tay who will now forever be the Ass Girls to me. Action Andretti needs a better name and less generic look if he's going to be something. I was quite impressed with his chair shots though, he laid them in hard and flat which is exactly how you're supposed to. Atiba do you know who trained him?

The number of hipsters in the Seattle crowd is pretty fucking hilarious.

For those watching on TBS, how much of Moxley's F bombs got through? He dropped a couple on the Fite stream. Hangman is a good promo but theyre starting to sound pretty same-y.

I could listen to Joe cut those promos all day. He's so fucking good at it.

Hahahha told you Jarret would have a belt within a few months. Even if it was on a technicality. Fuckin carny, I love it. Billy Gunn has to be injecting bovine growth hormone directly into his cock veins at this point or is just a bull/human hybrid. Dude did come from the rodeo world right? No person approaching their 6th decade on earth should be that big and firm.

Jungle Boy promos sound like someone dramatically trying to stand up to their big brother before inevitably getting their asses beat.

I don't know if I'm alone in this but Danielson promos are always awkward to me and im left wishing he would just wrestle. An hour match with MJF is going to be pretty tedious though I think.

They sure didn't take long to do the swerve vs AR rematch. Man that ring post moonsault AR does is nuts. His offense is really cool, I get some Kanyon vibes where it seems like every time I watch him he does some shit I've never seen before. These dudes have such great chemistry together. That cutter to German suplex counter was some gorgeous, smooth shit. I wish they wouldn't have had him kick out of the 450 but at least it wasn't a clean win for swerve. Really great match, I think they did as good as could be expected with the limited time slot and I thoroughly enjoyed it. These two are definitely in fight forever territory for me.

Mogul affiliates is a really dumb name, sounds like something an 8 year old playing with his friends would come up with. Actually everything about these guys is dumb and the sooner they get them away from Swerve the better. Make it one of those things they just never talk about again and we all forget.

Man Kiera Hogan has a thumper of a dumper. I bet Diamante uses that thing as a pillow. Jade keeps getting more comfortable and confident in the ring and is very good at what she does, even if it's somewhat limited. I could see her eventually getting into Tessa or Rhea territory where she could beat dudes and the audience wouldn't shit on it.

Darby came out riding his board backwards so it took me a second to realize it was the red Hockey war on ice graphic. Darby is made of rubber and Joe's back is absolutely built for taking weapon shots. It's like hitting a turtle in the shell. Nice hometown feel good pop for Darby and of course I'll always cheer for Sting, but I'm gonna miss seeing the double champ. Hope he keeps the King of TV persona going because the promos have been money and the matches are great. Joe as a vicious, arrogant meat troll is my favorite thing not named MJF right now.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #1021 on: January 05, 2023, 06:57:33 AM »
No idea, just know Action Andretti is a Maryland guy.   

He does look like a Yank Osprey, but I’m ok with a few of those types as long as it doesn’t become the long dark hair/beard template that every WWE wrestler seemed to have a year or so ago. 

Also, goddamn I love Stark’s spear.   It almost deserves to be called something different because he does it differently enough.   

To whomever was eulogizing Sasha Banks Sailor Moon look - she was selling merch with her wearing it today.  Don’t think that look is necessarily dead

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1022 on: January 05, 2023, 08:38:15 AM »
Word, was just wondering if he was a pupil of territory or ECW guy or something with how he laid those chair shots in. Half these dudes Lance Storm it even though they don't do headshots anymore (unless you're the carny prince, Cody Rhodes).

Ive probably posted this before but for those who watched Swerve vs AR Fox last night and liked what they saw, here's the famous LU match. Crazy match, even if you don't usually like death matches (I don't) it's worth a watch. Fox literally leaves a piece of himself out there.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x62eywh

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1023 on: January 05, 2023, 09:44:46 PM »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vince-mcmahon-plots-return-to-wwe-11672952709

Oh my fucking God. This shit is amazing. He's living his gimmick in the most hysterical way possible. He's icing haitch and Steph out and wants to go back to being the boss, then sell the company and likely cut them out of the deal altogether. What a vile son of a bitch. They have to have done this exact thing in storyline before right?

In other news, Tony Khan was found in his office laughing hysterically at his good fortune. In the background one could hear faint echoes of "Wee-woo wee-woo" as Jeff Jarrett arrived for a traditional meal of his people, funnel cakes and sugary lemonade.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1024 on: January 05, 2023, 10:11:05 PM »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vince-mcmahon-plots-return-to-wwe-11672952709

Oh my fucking God. This shit is amazing. He's living his gimmick in the most hysterical way possible. He's icing haitch and Steph out and wants to go back to being the boss, then sell the company and likely cut them out of the deal altogether. What a vile son of a bitch. They have to have done this exact thing in storyline before right?

In other news, Tony Khan was found in his office laughing hysterically at his good fortune. In the background one could hear faint echoes of "Wee-woo wee-woo" as Jeff Jarrett arrived for a traditional meal of his people, funnel cakes and sugary lemonade.

Chyna’s ghost haunts those two creeps

To quote @TrevorDame on Twitter
The head of the UFC just turfed an entire spin-off promotion because he got caught slapping his wife, the WWE is in an internal war centered around a man accused of sexual assault, AEW is lead by a guy who hugs people and used to wear glasses. Huge image issues for all three feds
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 10:20:41 PM by Atiba Applebum »

Mr. Kamikazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1025 on: January 07, 2023, 07:50:09 AM »
What a bore SmackDown was last night. Charlotte Flair vs Sonya DeVille was a waste of air time. Charlotte was awful on the microphone & sounded unconvinced of herself.

I cannot get behind Riccochet whatsoever & what they have (not) done for Braun Stowman is terrible. He is the Savior of Midcarders I suppose....

Here's to hoping things pick up nicely as even the Sheamus/McIntyre match for the Tag Team Titles was beyond lackluster.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 02:40:23 PM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1026 on: January 07, 2023, 07:57:28 AM »
Check out the finishing sequence in the Jade/ Sky Blue (can’t do the other name haha).   Jade is really putting all the pieces together with only like a year experience.   

I still don’t know if any booker in the modern era has been able to stick the landing on a juggernaut character, particularly what to do after they get beaten.   Jade is somewhat booked appropriately bc she does look like she could kick everyone’s ass and outside of shenanigans, I don’t see how she loses, even against a Sasha Banks who seems like she the size of one of her legs.   Too bad she can’t have a barn burner with Awesome Kong

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1027 on: January 09, 2023, 07:06:23 PM »
Currently watching Raw; so far a complete snoozer. The Dominick Mysterio angle is again complete garbage. I actually cannot believe that they are trying to sell this. "Snitches get stitches". That's all that a writer came up with? Fucking Judgement Day needs to be done.

Let me also add the crowd clearly does not care about tonight as you can hear the silence.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1028 on: January 09, 2023, 09:31:30 PM »
Currently watching Raw; so far a complete snoozer. The Dominick Mysterio angle is again complete garbage. I actually cannot believe that they are trying to sell this. "Snitches get stitches". That's all that a writer came up with? Fucking Judgement Day needs to be done.

Let me also add the crowd clearly does not care about tonight as you can hear the silence.

Vince back + College Football game = no one’s trying

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1029 on: January 10, 2023, 04:23:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Vince back + College Football game = no one’s trying

What a terrible game too.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1030 on: January 10, 2023, 05:16:39 AM »
My PWG BOLA report:

Referee Rick Knox from AEW wears all black Nike Force 58s in the ring

Had a great time Night 1 until I saw what happened Night 2 (Jericho Appreciation Society showed up and Jericho wrestler).  Say what you want about the guy, I don’t think anyone would turn their nose up at seeing him wrestle in an indie show

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #1031 on: January 10, 2023, 04:59:00 PM »
Stephanie has resigned as Co-CEO and Vince elected as the Executive Chairman. Doubt those two things are related, nothing to worry about.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1032 on: January 10, 2023, 06:56:02 PM »
Watching NXT tonight. Anyone see what happened when the ring legitimately fell apart during the Breakker & Waller match. I was excited to check this out & unfortunately just another disappointment. Heres to hoping that Gunther vs Strowman is a good on coming on Friday. I am hoping Gunther wins & this prompts Lesnar to come out, F5 him & let the universe know a feud is brewing.

Side note: my birthday is coming up & I either never ask for anything or struggle as I just buy myself the stuff I want so honestly, everyday feels like my birthday. Long story short, I have been really getting back into wrestling & prior to skating, I collected wrestlers at a very young age. So I sent my wife a list for my birthday & will have some figures coming my way to reignite this hobby.

Any collectors of wrestlers in here?

Cannot wait to be running to Target for wrestlers during my breaks...

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1033 on: January 10, 2023, 11:58:30 PM »
Saudi Arabia almost guaranteed to buy WWE.  Does that make it more or less of an ethically compromised company at this point?

Going to celebrate the hopeful death knell of that Fed at the AEW show tonight

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1034 on: January 11, 2023, 05:11:01 AM »
Watching NXT tonight. Anyone see what happened when the ring legitimately fell apart during the Breakker & Waller match. I was excited to check this out & unfortunately just another disappointment. Heres to hoping that Gunther vs Strowman is a good on coming on Friday. I am hoping Gunther wins & this prompts Lesnar to come out, F5 him & let the universe know a feud is brewing.

Side note: my birthday is coming up & I either never ask for anything or struggle as I just buy myself the stuff I want so honestly, everyday feels like my birthday. Long story short, I have been really getting back into wrestling & prior to skating, I collected wrestlers at a very young age. So I sent my wife a list for my birthday & will have some figures coming my way to reignite this hobby.

I have a pretty big collection, but I like the hasbros from the 80's and 90's because that is what I played with as a kid. I barely buy from Target or Wally World.

Any collectors of wrestlers in here?

Cannot wait to be running to Target for wrestlers during my breaks...

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1035 on: January 11, 2023, 05:31:05 AM »
Anybody here have the LJN figured back in the day, or am I just old?

Who were your first two wrestling figures?

Mine were Adorable Adrian Adonis and Terry Funk.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1036 on: January 11, 2023, 09:31:12 AM »
I have a pretty good sized figure collection. I actually got some new stuff for Xmas and just did a little rearranging so I will have to take some new pics and post. I mainly collect the Hasbros from the 80's and 90's because those were the ones I played with as a kid. Still have my OG Warrior that I got for Xmas in 88' or 89'.

That said I don't really buy much from Target or Wally World, but my most recent purchases came from there.

I bought the first MJF AEW figure because I wanted to support that man, and I got a really nice Mankind figure from a recent line that just looks really great.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1037 on: January 11, 2023, 11:42:46 AM »
My best guess is it won't be the death knell as long as there's enough idiots impressed by flashy lights and flips, but it will continue to be less and less about wrestling and just basically turn into a traveling circus. I was already not watching because I wasn't comfortable with their shitbaggery and I hope others feel the same way. Fuck Vince, he's one of the slimiest fucks in existence so selling your life's work for blood money sounds about right.

My big question is what happens with Sami? He can't possibly stick around if this happens right?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1038 on: January 11, 2023, 12:29:48 PM »
My best guess is it won't be the death knell as long as there's enough idiots impressed by flashy lights and flips, but it will continue to be less and less about wrestling and just basically turn into a traveling circus. I was already not watching because I wasn't comfortable with their shitbaggery and I hope others feel the same way. Fuck Vince, he's one of the slimiest fucks in existence so selling your life's work for blood money sounds about right.

My big question is what happens with Sami? He can't possibly stick around if this happens right?

I’m also concerned about the MOUNTAIN DEW PITCH BLACK MATCH.   

Sami, the women wrestlers, the LGBT wrestlers.    It would be funny if Mansoor is the one to dethrone Roman Reigns

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1039 on: January 11, 2023, 03:41:28 PM »
I’m ok with bailing on Wrestlemania in Philly now.

Was planning on going to the RAW 30th anniversary show on my birthday, but I may bail on that now as well.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1040 on: January 12, 2023, 02:45:19 AM »
Glad Hangman got the clean win but I just don't love concussion storylines.

Man I was kind of enjoying Adam Cole being gone. I can do without his fake stutter before every fucking sentence.

Holy shit Hungle Boy lookin thick. Big Bill looks and moves like a 7 foot pro wrestler should. Lee Moriarty kinda blows and I'm not sure why people were excited about him. They kept Hook very protected as usual, I think he had two spots all match. I like that they somewhat protected the big guy too but I hate that they're going to feed him to wrestlings version of a nepo baby.

MJF is the best. Just had to get in my weekly reinforcement of that in. I like that we're in the phase where people want to try and shit on him just to be contrarians but just keep getting worked by him.

Takeshita and Danielson was solid. I feel like the "pass out in a submission because it's babyface vs babyface" finish is kinda tired.

Juice Robinson talks like Dude Love.

Sad I don't have a fast forward button for a Saraya. I just took a piss too. That was all sorts of sloppy and pretty boring and same-y. Hayter and Toni are clearly a step faster than the other 2 and honestly Jamie was the only one who looked good to me there.

JAS is getting to be channel changing territory for me. Literally everyone except Jericho has come off worse from this angle. He's like a vampire sucking all the energy from these young people and using it for himself.

Surprised they only gave them 15ish mins for the ladder match. Pretty much what I expected, which isn't the worst thing. Seemed kinda rushed, like they just jumped from spot to spot, but I dunno if that was a time thing or not. Fenix and Nick Jackson are both insanely consistent despite doing super difficult shit. I was hoping for a swerve but there was no way the buckos werent going to win in socal.

Also been watching a lot of 86 world class today. I'm going to hear teenage girls screaming for Von Erich dick in my nightmares some day. The talent is unbelievable, I'm watching Rick Rude being managed by Percy Pringle (Paul Bearer) right now and it's great - Percy just yelled "go have another heart attack" at someone in the crowd. It's got the high production values that Vince and Turner borrowed liberally from as well which is cool to see. If I were putting together my perfect territory TV show it would have mid-souths roster, memphis' commentary team, and Fritz's production.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1041 on: January 12, 2023, 05:12:03 AM »
I too watched AEW last night. Certainly took the win as far as Monday Night Raw & NXT this week as both were their own sleeper holds. Again, I really hope Smackdown this Friday is a good one as that Intercontinental Match has a lot of potential.

The Bryan Danielson match with Takeshita was truly enjoyable as Danielson is beyond talented & that is my first time watching Takeshita wrestle, all of whom I enjoyed as well. We all knew Danielson was going to take it... I actually was watching an old match between Bray Wyatt & then Daniel Bryan when they did a strap match which was a good one.

Let me also add that the Ricky Starks & Jericho Appreciation society mic exchange (with Jake Hager) was painful." I'm going to smack your face off of your face".......

I do think it is funny that Jericho is the older & washed up Seth Rollins of AEW. The crowd singing along, the flamboyance, etc. Love Rollins over here.

First LJN figures include Big John Studd &, Hillbilly Jim & Piper.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 05:23:26 AM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1042 on: January 12, 2023, 07:49:38 AM »
Second time I watched Takeshita live in 5 days.    It was nice to see him as the super over guy putting over the young guy while winning and getting the opposite treatment on Dynamite.  Also fun to see in both matches the crowd start quiet and then get crazy into it by the end

Main event felt like it took 5 minutes it went by so fast.  I’m guessing Kenny was too banged up from Japan to go too long, but still fun to see some table action. 

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1043 on: January 12, 2023, 02:09:01 PM »
I had the LJN Piper and Jake when I was a kid. Played with them so much they barely had any paint left on them haha. My spoiled cousin had HBJ, Tito, Nikita, George the Animal and a few others and he didn't even really watch wrestling.

The mixed bag is kind of the way it goes with AEW most weeks. They have some really good stuff but also stuff like Jericho's cult that they've been milking way too long without doing anything that I'd call good since the blood and guts match.

That was the best I've seen BD look in a while and Takeshita seems like he can pull off literally any spot you can dream up. He's got loads of physical charisma, but I think the language barrier will always keep him under the main event scene unless you give him a mouthpiece and make him a silent badass like Muta. Hell of a match though, his chops look/sound legitimately brutal and his blue thunder bomb is gorgeous.

Jericho has been nothing short of outstanding in the ring over the past year but if it weren't for the fact he keeps delivering bangers I think the fans would have soured on him a bit. It's really hard for me to shit on a guy who provides so much entertainment but he does seem to just latch on to younger or hotter talent and then use them to get himself more over. I can't really think of anyone from his various stables and programs that came out of them having improved their standing. Sammy was a hot young "pillar" of AEW before Jericho and now has intense go-away heat with a large portion of the fan base. Garcia was one of the hot young fan favorites that was supposed to be about to take the next step and now no one cares about him. Anna Jay was supposed to be something by now but has seemingly forgotten what little she knew about how to wrestle and no one cares about her either. And so on and so forth... I think his next gimmick should be the sports entertainment vampire.

@Mr. Kamikazi Do you watch any old stuff other than WWF? I love watching the guys I grew up on when they were just getting their start, so I usually focus on Memphis and Dallas/world class as those were super influential territories that kind of ended up shaping what wrestling became in the late 80s and 90s when I was growing up on it.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1044 on: January 13, 2023, 08:58:28 AM »
I had the LJN Piper and Jake when I was a kid. Played with them so much they barely had any paint left on them haha. My spoiled cousin had HBJ, Tito, Nikita, George the Animal and a few others and he didn't even really watch wrestling.

The mixed bag is kind of the way it goes with AEW most weeks. They have some really good stuff but also stuff like Jericho's cult that they've been milking way too long without doing anything that I'd call good since the blood and guts match.

That was the best I've seen BD look in a while and Takeshita seems like he can pull off literally any spot you can dream up. He's got loads of physical charisma, but I think the language barrier will always keep him under the main event scene unless you give him a mouthpiece and make him a silent badass like Muta. Hell of a match though, his chops look/sound legitimately brutal and his blue thunder bomb is gorgeous.

Jericho has been nothing short of outstanding in the ring over the past year but if it weren't for the fact he keeps delivering bangers I think the fans would have soured on him a bit. It's really hard for me to shit on a guy who provides so much entertainment but he does seem to just latch on to younger or hotter talent and then use them to get himself more over. I can't really think of anyone from his various stables and programs that came out of them having improved their standing. Sammy was a hot young "pillar" of AEW before Jericho and now has intense go-away heat with a large portion of the fan base. Garcia was one of the hot young fan favorites that was supposed to be about to take the next step and now no one cares about him. Anna Jay was supposed to be something by now but has seemingly forgotten what little she knew about how to wrestle and no one cares about her either. And so on and so forth... I think his next gimmick should be the sports entertainment vampire.

@Mr. Kamikazi Do you watch any old stuff other than WWF? I love watching the guys I grew up on when they were just getting their start, so I usually focus on Memphis and Dallas/world class as those were super influential territories that kind of ended up shaping what wrestling became in the late 80s and 90s when I was growing up on it.

Spot on about Jericho. I did just read an article on how Takeshita will be huge moving forward & will likely be a main event start soon. As far as older content, I have watched some USWA stuff & of course early WCW. Flex Kavana ring a bell? WCW was really the starting point for me as I remember being outside playing & my grandfather telling me to come inside & that was so he could show me my first wrestling match which was WCW. It was Eddie Guerrero VS Rey Mysterio & I was hooked.

It is wild to see what used to be a big deal of a performance in the ring versus now.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1045 on: January 13, 2023, 09:15:26 AM »
For better, but probably worse, Takeshita’s promo abilities are likely why Don Callis is “scouting” him so that he can manage and talk for him.   

I get why I don’t like JAS and Tony Khan does seem to jettison things eventually that the crowd doesn’t respond to, but that live crowd was eating up that segment from where I was sitting.   

Also, don’t believe reports that the crowd was angry Sasha didn’t show up.   They briefly booed bc it cut to black after the women’s match, but it was just go to commercial.   It was more of an ironic acknowledgment of the whole thing bc it was one of those laugh-boos

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1046 on: January 14, 2023, 07:37:14 AM »
Smackdown again was a snore. The Zayne VS Owens match was decent as I know the plan is to have Zayne leave the Bloodline soon & become his own (all dependent on the future of WWE & who owns it) but even the Gunther & Strowman match was lackluster. It looks like the Gunther VS Lesnar match is shaping up as I though Lesnar would have appeared last night after Gunther & the Imperium kept saying there was "no one left".

Anyone catch AEW last night?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1047 on: January 14, 2023, 07:57:41 AM »

Spot on about Jericho. I did just read an article on how Takeshita will be huge moving forward & will likely be a main event start soon. As far as older content, I have watched some USWA stuff & of course early WCW. Flex Kavana ring a bell? WCW was really the starting point for me as I remember being outside playing & my grandfather telling me to come inside & that was so he could show me my first wrestling match which was WCW. It was Eddie Guerrero VS Rey Mysterio & I was hooked.

It is wild to see what used to be a big deal of a performance in the ring versus now.

Yeah the style has changed so much in the indy era. I find the matches are a lot more engaging on the whole, but the characters and feel of the show as a whole were better back in the day in my opinion. I don't think it's just nostalgia either, because a lot of the stuff I'm really into right now is stuff I didn't watch when I was a kid. I do go on NWA/WCW binges all the time, but usually 89-93 because that was my introduction to it. Instead of Eddie vs Rey, I had Flair vs Sting.

Have you ever seen any of the ECW cruiserweight stuff? Rey and Psicosis had a couple amazing matches but for my money Eddie vs Malenko in ECW is the real gem. I was an ECW kid, but a few years later around 96/97, and got into tape trading for a while. Here's one of the classics, but the whole year of 95 ECW TV is full of these. These two had the craziest chemistry. Also I still contend that Joey Styles is right up there with JR and Lance Russell as the best "calling the action" commentators ever.

USWA is great up until about 95, but it goes way off the rails the last few years. It's kind of a sad end to the Memphis wrestling dynasty that drew 10k to the mid south colliseum weekly for decades. Im actually watching CWA 1989 right now which is the last year of the CWA before it became the USWA. It's kinda cool, Master of Pain (a very young Undertaker) just won the belt from Lawler and he's about to face Lord Humongous (Psycho Sid/Sid Vicious) who's finish is a spinning power bomb where he just tosses jobbers across the ring. Same thing Satnam Singh does now, just far less dangerous.

Didn't watch Rampage yet, but I'll probably throw it on when I get home from work to kill time before football starts.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1048 on: January 14, 2023, 02:36:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah the style has changed so much in the indy era. I find the matches are a lot more engaging on the whole, but the characters and feel of the show as a whole were better back in the day in my opinion. I don't think it's just nostalgia either, because a lot of the stuff I'm really into right now is stuff I didn't watch when I was a kid. I do go on NWA/WCW binges all the time, but usually 89-93 because that was my introduction to it. Instead of Eddie vs Rey, I had Flair vs Sting.

Have you ever seen any of the ECW cruiserweight stuff? Rey and Psicosis had a couple amazing matches but for my money Eddie vs Malenko in ECW is the real gem. I was an ECW kid, but a few years later around 96/97, and got into tape trading for a while. Here's one of the classics, but the whole year of 95 ECW TV is full of these. These two had the craziest chemistry. Also I still contend that Joey Styles is right up there with JR and Lance Russell as the best "calling the action" commentators ever.

USWA is great up until about 95, but it goes way off the rails the last few years. It's kind of a sad end to the Memphis wrestling dynasty that drew 10k to the mid south colliseum weekly for decades. Im actually watching CWA 1989 right now which is the last year of the CWA before it became the USWA. It's kinda cool, Master of Pain (a very young Undertaker) just won the belt from Lawler and he's about to face Lord Humongous (Psycho Sid/Sid Vicious) who's finish is a spinning power bomb where he just tosses jobbers across the ring. Same thing Satnam Singh does now, just far less dangerous.

Didn't watch Rampage yet, but I'll probably throw it on when I get home from work to kill time before football starts.

I’ll check these videos out! Thanks for sending them my way.

As far as ECW goes, I never got to into it though I did meet New Jack in 2002. Got a figure signed by him & a Polaroid with him & my brother.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1049 on: January 15, 2023, 09:45:54 PM »

I’ll check these videos out! Thanks for sending them my way.

As far as ECW goes, I never got to into it though I did meet New Jack in 2002. Got a figure signed by him & a Polaroid with him & my brother.

No problem. I'm not sure how easy prime ECW (95-98) is to watch for someone who doesn't have the nostalgic link I have to it (and there's a lot of stuff that is very un-pc by today's standards) but the hot crowds and in-ring excellence along with the bloody, almost cartoonist violence made for some of my favorite shows ever. The stuff on the network with the dubbed audio  sucks, so if you ever get the urge to check it out definitely watch the restorations like the re-c-dub project. Here's a Google doc with links to basically everything

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1jhXN8eGz-T0udOFShp5FItx65iMNgikmuCkTdBXpeXQ/htmlview

That's hilarious that you have a Polaroid with maybe the most controversial wrestler ever.

I watched rampage but I ended up just skimming a lot of it. Not a bad show, but it kinda felt like caffeine free diet dynamite. Darby vs Juice was decent and Darby didn't try to kill himself for a free TV match which is always nice to see. They also did a woman's hardcore match which apparently pissed some people off. I don't mind seeing chicks bleed and take table bumps but it was also just kind of boring. The ass girls are just not great wrestlers and having them be on offense for the first ten minutes meant they never really hooked me. Willow is awesome though and seeing her dressed up as Bubba Ray and not dancing around and smiling all the time was nice.

The highlight of the show for me was when someone pulled out the black bag of thumbtacks from under the ring and Jericho said "That better be a tiny snake." I popped pretty hard for that one haha.