Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 42717 times)

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1170 on: February 23, 2023, 03:12:52 AM »
What’s even more impressive is Scorpio is 6’5”.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 849
« Reply #1171 on: February 23, 2023, 03:39:28 AM »
Scorpio has never received the mainstream plaudits he deserved

Ohhh I don't think we've done this one yet. I already mentioned The Spoiler but who are some other guys who were better than most of their peers but received less recognition?

- Kanyon is one that quickly springs to mind.

- Mike Awesome too.

- Rhyno. I know he was ECW champ but it felt like he never really got much love after that. His matches are usually surprisingly good.

- Steve Corino. Good promo, great worker. Same as Rhyno, the only success he really had was in the embers of ECW.

- Dustin, obviously.

- he got stuck with a ton of shit gimmicks but Fred Ottman aka Typhoon/Tugboat/Shockmaster/Superstar Bubba etc was one of the better big men of his era. He was huge but also surprisingly quick and would even bust out drop kicks and a nasty leg drop from time to time.

- this one is pretty niche but in the heyday of WCW cruiserweights they would occasionally have this dude named Blitzkrieg that was doing like fakie phoenix splashes and all sorts of nutso springboard shit. He was really small and skinny so he wouldn't have been able to do much outside of the division but I feel like he was one of the first guys I can recall seeing with that flippy indy style moreso than traditional lucha.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 24
« Reply #1172 on: February 23, 2023, 04:39:08 AM »
I loved Kidman.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1173 on: February 23, 2023, 04:47:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ohhh I don't think we've done this one yet. I already mentioned The Spoiler but who are some other guys who were better than most of their peers but received less recognition?

- Mike Awesome too.

- Rhyno. I know he was ECW champ but it felt like he never really got much love after that. His matches are usually surprisingly good.

- Steve Corino. Good promo, great worker. Same as Rhyno, the only success he really had was in the embers of ECW.

- Dustin, obviously.

- he got stuck with a ton of shit gimmicks but Fred Ottman aka Typhoon/Tugboat/Shockmaster/Superstar Bubba etc was one of the better big men of his era. He was huge but also surprisingly quick and would even bust out drop kicks and a nasty leg drop from time to time.

- this one is pretty niche but in the heyday of WCW cruiserweights they would occasionally have this dude named Blitzkrieg that was doing like fakie phoenix splashes and all sorts of nutso springboard shit. He was really small and skinny so he wouldn't have been able to do much outside of the division but I feel like he was one of the first guys I can recall seeing with that flippy indy style moreso than traditional lucha.

Chad Gable

William Regal

Norman Smiley

John Cena (actually a technical wizard in-ring)

Jerry Lynn

Hakushi

Haku (in real life 😂)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #1174 on: February 23, 2023, 05:01:02 AM »
I loved Kidman.

Same.  I was at the right age for him on tv and the WCW video game.  Probably my favorite guy, then Jericho, and Benoit

Damn I remember when the radicalz invaded WWF and that blowing my mind and then poor Eddie dislocated his elbow landing his frog splash in his first match.   It was pretty graphic to see it dislocate like that right on camera (but that could just be memory inflating it)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1175 on: February 23, 2023, 05:04:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

- Mike Awesome too.

- Dustin, obviously.

[close]

Chad Gable

William Regal

Norman Smiley

John Cena (actually a technical wizard in-ring)

Jerry Lynn

Hakushi

Haku (in real life 😂)

Jerry Lynn and Christopher Daniels in particular bc they never went to the NY territory.   

Fit Finley and William Regal I think get some love recently and people went back to appreciate them,  but they def weren’t in their own time

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1176 on: February 23, 2023, 06:06:17 PM »
Fit Finley & Norma Smiley!

Loved these guys in WCW. Norman Smiley would just come out wearing yellow everything. I remember that all too well. No mention of Dean Malenko Or Billy Kidman?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1177 on: February 23, 2023, 08:26:52 PM »
We’ve mentioned Kidman!   I missed out on a lot of Ravens flock but I liked the look of that shit.   I think I was getting into it right when Kidman broke away

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1178 on: February 24, 2023, 05:26:36 PM »
I loved Kidman.

I liked him up to and including strung out ravens flock Kidman, but when he got all juiced up and started wearing shiny bicycle shorts for his fed run he just looked so, so weird to me. He also seemed like he forgot how to do his own finisher over time....when he was young and skinny it was a pretty smooth (at least by 90s standards) shooting star that he got good hangtime and distance on, but by the later part of his career it was a wobbly, jerky mess that hit guys in the face half the time. There's also that famous botch where he just goes straight up and comes down on the ropes.

Finlay is one I'm definitely guilty of not appreciating as a kid, all the kick punch hold kick punch hold stuff got old fast but as an adult I can fuck with a Finlay match. I sometimes put on world of sport stuff when he was young and he was smooth as fuck in that style.

Smiley is one of the great "I can't believe how huge that got over" stories in wrestling. There was a point in late stage WCW where the big wiggle got the biggest pop of the show. Screamin' Norman was kind of the Danhausen of his generation, except he could wrestle his neon green spandex clad ass off.

Ravens nest in ECW was cool but having already seen that by the time he made his WCW debut, I felt like the flock was pretty lame and mostly sucked. Outside of Kidman and Saturn the best they had was probably Riggs (cue American males theme). I guess Kanyon was there too but it was pretty much dead by that point. Sick boy, lodi, hammer and Horace all sucked. Reese wasn't the worst big man I've ever seen, but his arms are disproportionately short so he looks like a T-Rex.

Who do you think are gonna be the guys today who don't get their due until 20 years down the line? I'm gonna throw kind of an off the wall one out - Trent Beretta. That dude has some really good matches that mostly fly under the radar, but for my money he's the best worker in the best friends.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1179 on: February 24, 2023, 07:25:31 PM »
We’ve mentioned Kidman!   I missed out on a lot of Ravens flock but I liked the look of that shit.   I think I was getting into it right when Kidman broke away

I see that now. Am I straying too far if I throw Lance Storm in here?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1180 on: February 24, 2023, 09:59:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I see that now. Am I straying too far if I throw Lance Storm in here?

John Morrison as a recent name?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1181 on: February 24, 2023, 10:06:29 PM »
Komander AEW debut in the Face of the Revolution Ladder Match on dynamite

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1182 on: February 25, 2023, 10:26:51 AM »
AEW was again a snoozer this week. Same with Smackdown.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1183 on: February 25, 2023, 11:29:22 AM »

Does WWE have anything going on promising besides Bloodline?   I’m vaguely aware of what’s going on and the rest of the card seems so weird.   Charlotte as a baby face and Bayley struggling?   

Also, is Dominick supposed to be a joke or are people supposed to buy the gimmick?    It’s like Entourage: I could never tell if Vincent Chase was supposed to be a good actor in that universe because the person portraying him wasn’t a good actor.   

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1184 on: February 25, 2023, 11:56:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Does WWE have anything going on promising besides Bloodline?   I’m vaguely aware of what’s going on and the rest of the card seems so weird.   Charlotte as a baby face and Bayley struggling?   

Also, is Dominick supposed to be a joke or are people supposed to buy the gimmick?    It’s like Entourage: I could never tell if Vincent Chase was supposed to be a good actor in that universe because the person portraying him wasn’t a good actor.

I think we’re supposed to see Dominick as the new Eddie Guerrero.

And what are they doing with Karrion Kross?

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1185 on: February 25, 2023, 03:28:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Dominick is being pushed as an Eddie Guerrero but has its nonsense. Charlotte is dreadful & I’ m really hoping Rhea Ripley gets the title at Wrestlemania. Karion Kross is thrown in senseless feuds i.e. McIntyre(now over) & now with Mysterio. Nothing big from him.

LA Knight could be sick but they’ll blow it with the that. Gunther rules so I’m into that & Dragunov over at NXT gives me hope. 

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1186 on: February 25, 2023, 03:28:56 PM »
Let me add that Ronda VS Rhea would rule. No one would be buried, just a solid performance.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1187 on: February 25, 2023, 09:14:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Oh it's 1000% a worse version of the Feddie Guerrero gimmick. Probably learned it from the period where he was living with him before Rey won him back in a match.

Dom isn't terrible on the mic, but there's some pretty big holes there and he's still way overexposed in the ring. It's basically what I suspect Hook would be if he wasn't so protected - hes pretty good at pulling off his big spots, but everything in between is a crap shoot and he doesn't have very natural timing...he seems like he hesitates a lot. It's the kind of thing that might come with time and experience but it seems like these wrestling nepo babies are just skipping the whole "learning to work a match" phase before they put them on TV and they're supposed to just pick it up by osmosis I guess.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1188 on: February 26, 2023, 02:54:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh it's 1000% a worse version of the Feddie Guerrero gimmick. Probably learned it from the period where he was living with him before Rey won him back in a match.

Dom isn't terrible on the mic, but there's some pretty big holes there and he's still way overexposed in the ring. It's basically what I suspect Hook would be if he wasn't so protected - hes pretty good at pulling off his big spots, but everything in between is a crap shoot and he doesn't have very natural timing...he seems like he hesitates a lot. It's the kind of thing that might come with time and experience but it seems like these wrestling nepo babies are just skipping the whole "learning to work a match" phase before they put them on TV and they're supposed to just pick it up by osmosis I guess.

But we are supposed to believe he’s been toughened up in prison and not just someone wearing his daddy’s shoes and pretending like a night in jail was hard time?

Hook has a look and an attitude.   Dom is still covered in baby fat, bad haircuts and bad tattoos.   I forgot who said it, but basically they said Alan Angels would have gone a lot further if he didn’t have those giant dumb tattoos and that’s Dom.   

Also, anyone notice the similarity face wise between Great Khali and Erik Ellington?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1189 on: February 28, 2023, 02:11:56 AM »
I think Dom looks fine now, I don't know why the hell they didn't put and keep him under a hood until the heel turn with that literal baby face but for a cocky chickenshit heel I think his look actually works. In kayfabe I think It's less that hes suddenly tough as that hes more street smart and willing to go further or cheat more. And I can't dock the kid for having shitty tats simply because I would have to similarly dock like 70% of the workers under the age of 30. I feel like an ugly sleeve and long tights is 2023's version of a mullet and face paint.

There's an interesting story about wrestling nepotism in the 70s that actually directly ties in to modern AEW and recent events. So historically speaking, Tennessee was promoted by a Nashville guy named Nick Gulas (along with the Welch/Fuller family) who actually kinda built the bedrock that the legendary Memphis territory sat on. All through the 50s, 60s and most of the 70s, he was basically the VKM of Memphis. I'm a little fuzzy in some parts and going to leave a ton out before and after to keep this somewhat brief, but definitely look it up because it's quite interesting and had a huge ripple effect on wrestling as a whole.

Anyways... Nick had a son named George, who was 6'5 but gangly as hell and just the most uncoordinated, goofy, unimposing, childlike dude imaginable. He once got busted for solicitation twice, in the same day, by the same cop. He's often called the worst wrestler of all time by those who worked with him. Nick also employed a handsome and charismatic young blonde promoter-turned-wrestler named Jerry Jarrett. Guess who Nick wanted to put the belt on and push? The fans predictably hated George, so much so that he was once attacked by one and had to be saved by Harley Race, and even through the filter of stringent kayfabe it was obvious that he was getting preferential treatment over the guys the fans actually wanted to see. Crowds started to dwindle, but Nick kept on with a stubbornness that would make Vince blink. So Jerry (and most of the boys) can obviously see this is going to kill what was one of the most lucrative territories in the country and hatch a plan. They moved out on their own, with Lance Russell and the TV contract jumping ship with them. I forget exactly how long, but I want to say in under a year Gulas was out of business and the upstart Memphis promotion was drawing huge crowds to the mid south coliseum to see this kid everyone was talking about named Lawler.

Hilariously, Jerry's son turned out to be a natural baby face that got over with the Memphis fans right away and is still entertaining us to this day as one of the few who can throw a proper worked punch. Choke on that slap nuts.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 24
« Reply #1190 on: March 01, 2023, 07:30:14 AM »
IT'S WEDNESDAY NIGHT! YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!

Tony, we're gonna need you to start doing a lil better.

I have a friend that just does not like AEW and when he points out the flaws he definitely ain't wrong.

He doesn't like WWE right now either.

He texted me on Friday and just said "Have the young bucks ever been to a gym?" And then I noticed they both have no physique at all.

I'll probably be asleep by 9.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1191 on: March 01, 2023, 07:43:25 AM »

I have a friend that just does not like AEW and when he points out the flaws he definitely ain't wrong.

He texted me on Friday and just said "Have the young bucks ever been to a gym?" And then I noticed they both have no physique at all.

They’re about as built as Luigi Primo.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1192 on: March 01, 2023, 08:48:23 AM »
Lita is a tag team champ…..

And the performance between her & Iyo was awful. The match lacked any & all chemistry.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1193 on: March 01, 2023, 12:33:09 PM »

Last week I didn't even bother to walk over and turn the channel to put it on. Just did not care about anything on the show. This week is just as bad or worse...

Chris Jericho vs Peter Avalon is apparently the co-main event, or at least it's front and center on the graphic with the ladder match. You know this is going to take up a quarter of the show and end up either being some kind of new angle all about Jericho or they're going to extend the losing to jobbers thing. Either way seems like the kind of thing that would be much better suited to Rampage.

Hobbs shouldn't even be in another face of the revolution ladder match since he was the breakout star of the one wardlow won. If he doesn't handily win it then I'm going to whimper into my pillow in frustration. How the heck does Tony not consider this dude a star yet?

Hook vs Matt Hardy will be 5 minutes max of tightly choreographed squash spots. I hope I'm wrong but this doesn't seem like the spot where we're going to finally see him sell some shit and work a limb for 90 seconds.

Another battle Royale. Isn't that like 3 this year already? Its the clearest sign to me he's in over his head and has nothing creatively for like 80% of his roster. And instead of trimming fat he's just paying guys to fly in for one match then they go back in the toy box for another month or three.

Toni vs Riho. No thanks, not for me. It'll probably be some people's cup of tea but not even the Australian's outback can get me excited for this one.

Only thing that even remotely moves my needle is OC vs Big Bill, but for the love of God do the right thing and put Large William over.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1194 on: March 01, 2023, 01:29:59 PM »
This Ladder Match was moved from the PPV and is going to be about showing off Komanders ring rope walking abilities.   

He’s a great grab, particularly as Bandido seems like he’s working limited dates.   

This PPV could be my first guess for Kota Ibushi appearance.  Getting the trios belt off the elite whilst signaling dissension in their ranks leading to a Golden Lovers vs Bucks tag match at the next PPV

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1195 on: March 01, 2023, 05:46:17 PM »
Hey guys... We have a legit 7 foot monster who is ripped as shit, looks amazing, can cut a promo, and can move in the ring. Why don't we  feed him to a 5'9 165lb comedy wrestler so it's hard for anyone to take him seriously again?

Not sure why Stokely is dressing like Doug Funny's sister these days.

I'm genuinely starting to wonder if Moxley is angling for a Tampax sponsorship at this point.

That house of black segment was pretty cheesy. Why not just do an actual beatdown rather than the stupid sound effects and flickering lights?

The ladder match was a total overbooked cluster fuck and not in the endearing way. Why even have Eddie and Ortiz in there?Hear the pop Hobbs got? It should have ended after he cleaned house. I honestly didn't give a shit about anything that happened after that and it made no sense for him to just disappear for 10 minutes while everyone did spots but seeing Sammy get dropped on his head was nice. If you end it after Hobbs destroys everyone you still end up in the same place and you don't have to kill a bunch of skinny undercard guys.

I'm already getting sleepy. I'll be surprised if I make it past Jericho's shit.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1196 on: March 02, 2023, 01:23:29 PM »
Fell asleep during Hangmans promo so I watched the rest this morning.

Jerichos shit wasn't as bad as I thought but still bad. Same shit every week.

Didn't watch Toni vs Riho

Best hook match yet but he needs to slow the fuck down and breathe. Hardy kept him mostly on the mark but had to put the brakes on the kid a few times. His selling was pretty good by 2023 standards but I hate the superman booking, he definitely shouldn't be kicking out of weapon shots and effectively beating 3 dudes at this point.

Tag team BR as the main event is just..amateurish? Its like what the Fed's "touring troupe C" would do at the smallest house show venues of the 80s to make sure everyone got a payday. When we said we want to see different guys on TV this isn't what we meant Tony.

Anyways, Pentas niners gear looked cool as hell and it felt like the fans turned on it a bit after the LB were eliminated. A lot of the spots I think they were envisioning getting pops fell pretty flat. You know what was the opposite of flat though? Maria Kanellis. Still looking damn good and insisting on taking a bump. Wife material. The finish was dumb and Cesaro just stood there and watched from a foot away while OC eliminated his partner, then B&B eliminated themselves while Danhausen stood behind and rubbed their backs. It was, as Ole Anderson would say, the drizzling shits.

The MJF - BD promo was good but why run it at the end? Run it before the main or at the top of the hour. Kind of a popcorn fart ending for me. There were a few bright spots but on the whole that was not one of the better go-home shows I've seen.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1197 on: March 03, 2023, 06:37:49 AM »
Anyone planning to catch the AEW ppv on Sunday?

I may hit up my local AMC theater.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1198 on: March 03, 2023, 09:55:42 AM »

Saturday, no?   

I’m tempted but I got COVID the last time I went to a public wrestling thing

Also, the last time I did an AMC thing, the feed cut out during the entire main event (hangman vs omega) and thankfully came on right as either Cole or Danielson came out (I forget who was first)

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1199 on: March 03, 2023, 11:14:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Saturday, no?   

I’m tempted but I got COVID the last time I went to a public wrestling thing

Also, the last time I did an AMC thing, the feed cut out during the entire main event (hangman vs omega) and thankfully came on right as either Cole or Danielson came out (I forget who was first)

It’s Sunday, March 5.

I enjoyed the last AMC showing I went to, which was the NJPW ppv. Wrestling fans can be fun people. Only ones that aren’t are the super smart marks that parrot Jim Cornette.

Tag match and Iron Man match should be fun. Bret Vs Shawn is still the greatest Iron Man match of all time.