Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 40903 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1200 on: March 03, 2023, 12:11:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone planning to catch the AEW ppv on Sunday?

I may hit up my local AMC theater.
[close]

Saturday, no?   

I’m tempted but I got COVID the last time I went to a public wrestling thing

Also, the last time I did an AMC thing, the feed cut out during the entire main event (hangman vs omega) and thankfully came on right as either Cole or Danielson came out (I forget who was first)
[close]

It’s Sunday, March 5.

I enjoyed the last AMC showing I went to, which was the NJPW ppv. Wrestling fans can be fun people. Only ones that aren’t are the super smart marks that parrot Jim Cornette.

Tag match and Iron Man match should be fun. Bret Vs Shawn is still the greatest Iron Man match of all time.

Thanks - PPVs from both companies keep rotating from Sat to Sun.   I though AEW only did Sunday on their holiday weekend shows.   

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1201 on: March 03, 2023, 12:16:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone planning to catch the AEW ppv on Sunday?

I may hit up my local AMC theater.
[close]

Saturday, no?   

I’m tempted but I got COVID the last time I went to a public wrestling thing

Also, the last time I did an AMC thing, the feed cut out during the entire main event (hangman vs omega) and thankfully came on right as either Cole or Danielson came out (I forget who was first)
[close]

It’s Sunday, March 5.

I enjoyed the last AMC showing I went to, which was the NJPW ppv. Wrestling fans can be fun people. Only ones that aren’t are the super smart marks that parrot Jim Cornette.

Tag match and Iron Man match should be fun. Bret Vs Shawn is still the greatest Iron Man match of all time.
[close]

Thanks - PPVs from both companies keep rotating from Sat to Sun.   I though AEW only did Sunday on their holiday weekend shows.

I think they did Sunday this time so they wouldn’t compete with the MMA PPV tomorrow night.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #1202 on: March 03, 2023, 12:32:21 PM »
Probably pirating this one. Vote with your wallet I guess. I'm sure it'll be good but I can't get behind a show that was built so poorly with no real excuse this time.

Pat I feel like you're going to love what I found. I'm not even going to do it a disservice by describing what it is... Just watch haha

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nDfzOAYK02s

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1203 on: March 03, 2023, 04:12:07 PM »
It was nice to hear a brief Mauro “Mama Mia” in Creed 3 in the beginning.   

There was another PW thing that happened in there that I’ll wait a beat so people see it.   It’s not a spoiler either, I just don’t like to affect expectations pre movie no matter how small

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1204 on: March 05, 2023, 04:08:50 PM »
anyone got a link to the PPV? I'm in the hospital with preggo wife and don't want to pay. Might have to turn it off at any minute.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1205 on: March 05, 2023, 06:18:51 PM »
Want a Kenny/Malachi singles match

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1206 on: March 05, 2023, 09:49:36 PM »
Seems like everyone went over who should go over (or in the case of the Gunns seeded the next feud).   AEW can fuck up a lot of things, but they’ve a pretty undeniable PPV track record.   Only real fuck up I can think of is the deathmatch finish, but that was a freak accident

Based off twitter barbs, I’d guess Adam Cole is up next for MJF.   

Wish Hobbs would at least get the chance to step up for that just to raise his profile - he and Wardlow both can’t afford to lose their feud and I think Hobbs has leveled up a bit that he doesn’t really need the TV belt, but their isn’t really anywhere in between for him

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1207 on: March 05, 2023, 11:23:12 PM »
Holy shit I think I might be done with AEW. The soft ass indy fanbase is genuinely, with 1000% seriousness, calling for MJF to be charged with assault for throwing water on a planted fan. I just don't think I can do it anymore. I'm parroting Cornette but this audience are not pro wrestling fans, they are fans of gymnastics. How can you just fundamentally not get it? You're completely fine with guys using all manner of weapons to disfigure each other in front of the kid but if he gets splashed with water you're suddenly outraged and it's criminal? God forbid that child ever find themselves at a public pool or water park, surely their fragile psyche would be forever ruined by it.

Fuck me. Wrestling fans are the fucking worst.

Missed the first 2 hours. I'll watch it tomorrow.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1208 on: March 05, 2023, 11:51:52 PM »
Hah just adjust whomever you’re getting your PW from bc I’m not seeing any of that chatter in the places I lurk even after it came out the kid wasn’t in fact a plant.   

The most hand-wringing I’ve seen this weekend (and justifiably so) is the Fed profiting off a new Chyna documentary and someone bringing back up how fucked up that Booker T/HHH feud was (though that possibly was just a continuation of a Fuck Hunter thread stemming from Chyna)

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1209 on: March 06, 2023, 05:40:29 AM »
Absolute Ricky Starks has come a long way from this.

https://youtu.be/V5wqC8bNttg

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1210 on: March 06, 2023, 08:05:47 AM »
The MJF post match interview ruled. Chomping on pickles.

Anyone know where to see the match?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1211 on: March 06, 2023, 09:45:11 AM »
Hah just adjust whomever you’re getting your PW from bc I’m not seeing any of that chatter in the places I lurk even after it came out the kid wasn’t in fact a plant.   

The most hand-wringing I’ve seen this weekend (and justifiably so) is the Fed profiting off a new Chyna documentary and someone bringing back up how fucked up that Booker T/HHH feud was (though that possibly was just a continuation of a Fuck Hunter thread stemming from Chyna)

Whether he was a plant or not is totally irrelevant to my point...It's a fucking wrestling show with a Texas death match where a guy stabbed another guy with a fork, ripped his hair out, and then got lynched with a chain...and they're losing their minds over a kid getting splashed with water. I really can't imagine living my life trying so hard to find things to be outraged over. These idiots would call for child molestation charges if you put the bushwackers on the card.

MJF is a work of art though. Yet another great match and title defense despite the fact he supposedly can't work. Enjoyed the Meltzer shout out too. Then he almost topped the match by showing up to presser in Punk cosplay, munching down on a big jar of pickles (what else would the worlds greatest heel snack on?), and saying he did it because "The kid looked thirsty." Just beautiful stuff.

I guess that's the blow-off and it's a good spot to end it. The story was a little tired but those 2 are so good they don't need much to make it work. I think it was one of those iron sharpens iron things where Bryan stepped his mic game up and Max stepped his mat game up and the feud was good as a result. The right guy won too... Part of me was scared Tony was going to give in to the marks complaining about MJF being a bad champion because they don't understand what a heel is. He gets to add arguably his biggest scalp and earn some respect while Danielson isn't really hurt by it and can be made right back into a credible threat with like one big win. Perfect outcome.

Dunno what direction they'll end up going, but after last night the only thing I really want to see is Hangman vs MJF. The modern baby face vs the modern heel and both dudes can talk people into the building, plus it's a guaranteed banger.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1212 on: March 06, 2023, 10:34:16 AM »
The MJF post match interview ruled. Chomping on pickles.

Anyone know where to see the match?

Check your pms

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1213 on: March 06, 2023, 12:21:28 PM »
Other thoughts

- hilarious that Jericho made sure to book himself in a losing streak angle before he would let himself be beaten clean like that. Never change Chris.

- Hungle Boy in jeans and boots popped me until I saw they weren't cowboy boots but rather his normal frilly pixie boots. Had to take points off for that. With the recent bulk up he looked like a cheap romance novel cover illustration come to life. Hottest dude I've seen in a while but the match was kinda meh for me honestly. Dunno if Christian is still hurt or what but it was a little too walk n brawl for me and the finish felt a little flat after they had built good heat. Haunted house special effects made no sense either since neither dude has a supernatural gimmick.

- trios match...I was somewhat looking forward to it on paper but after watching it I think I'm just sick of elite matches. They all feel the same to me and im just numb to it at this point. Flip, leg slap, chop, bump, Kip up, repeat. Love all members of HoB (I've even totally changed my opinion of buddy) but not even Brody's corpse painted big hoss ass could overcome the apathy I had after a few minutes.

Goth Julia in a cat suit may have just overtaken Thigh Blue for me.

- women's match was meh.. Hayter is on a different level from the others and between the mediocre crowd brawl and them doing that stupid thing where they take turns hiding on the outside while the other 2 wrestle a singles match always takes me out of these matches. Then they did one of those super phony looking tower spots and I was pretty much over it. Finish seemed dumb and the post match stuff was cringe worthy but at least it rightfully had Hayter beat both girls at once clean.

- Texas DM.. Hangman is one of the guys who doesn't really need a special theme but I love that they went with that version of Ghost Riders rather than the more popular ones. These modern DMs are always slightly weird to me with all the prepared weapons but that was a hell of a match. Hangman leaving a chunk of his hair on the BW chair after face bumping it is the definition of cowboy shit. The deadeye on the BW chair and back rake spots were nasty too. Doing an old Memphis bull rope spot with a chain for the finish got a huge pop out of me. The only thing I didn't absolutely love about it was the crowd chanting for tables while they're tearing each other apart doing fucking barbed wire chair and brick spots....Shut the fuck up.

Two awesome death matches in the books for Hangman now. Dude can actually do it all. I get real HBK vibes from him.

- Warjoe... My heart wanted Joe to win just because I've been enjoying him so much but this was the right call. He still has the TV belt and can keep his king of TV gimmick going and now we can get Wardlow and Hobbs on their own. Match was so-so. That was a really tough spot on the card and the crowd seemed gassed then kinda shit on the finish.

- tag team clusterfuck - they did the same "try to hide the weak workers by having them literally disappear for several minutes" thing as the women. Skeeavone even called it out on commentary. Probably not bad if you were in the crowd since it was like 40% gaga 60% wrestling but I didn't really get much out of it. Another flat finish too. Felt kinda like a dynamite segment tbh.

- Ironman match - already kinda covered it but yeah that was a classic. I had one short period where I was kinda bored but by the end I was ready for another 15 minutes. Max just does ALL the little shit so, so well. He's a natural for sure but you can tell he's been studying for this for a lifetime. Danielson is a master of pacing and one of the smoothest grapple monkeys I've ever seen so this is his showcase and he didn't disappoint. The finish was beautiful too..Max's face while he cranked back and screamed Tap! would have made Piper proud.

Overall another really good ppv with a few meh spots. The big guns were on the card and other than the elite they hit the target for me. Made another $18 on the draft kings main event pool too, the only one I missed was if a fall would be decided by DQ. Anyone else do those? I do the WWE ones too but since I don't watch that I'm basically just guessing and never win anything.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 07:43:02 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1214 on: March 07, 2023, 05:40:10 AM »
Revolution was so fucking good

Just needed to say that somewhere
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1215 on: March 07, 2023, 09:24:33 AM »
Jey Uso made his choice. Dethroned at mania then off to the singles world?

MJF’s entrance ruled. Think I’m going to start checking out some Hangman stuff too…

I’m hoping Dragunov can is headed to Smackdown soon. He’d be excellent over there. This whole intercontinental showdown for who goes for Gunther should be decent. Thinking it may be Kross simply because if it’s not, he’s just useless. Still not sold on him.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 07:31:35 AM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1216 on: March 07, 2023, 11:29:25 AM »
dragunov is one of the few I think would be a lot more suited to AEW.    Walter, unfortunately not, as they’ve shown they don’t book hosses that well.   

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1217 on: March 07, 2023, 12:28:21 PM »
Revolution was so fucking good

Just needed to say that somewhere

Their ppvs are always killer, it's the in-between that's been weak lately. I just got my WWE fan coworker to watch a few spots from the Moxley match and he's hooked hahaha.

Re-watched the iron man this morning and was kinda blown away by the pace they kept. It didn't really sink in the first time but that was probably the highest workrate I've ever seen in a match like that. And goddamn both dudes were ON for the whole thing. Even that rolling pillbug spot that I would normally hate and shit all over was set up so it made sense.

The BTE episode is up. Haven't watched it yet but the backstage and ringside footage is usually really good.

@Mr. Kamikazi watch this for a good summary of Hangman's AEW backstory. There's 5 parts (the others should be in the related videos) and it will get you caught up til somewhat recently. He's probably my second favorite wrestler behind MJF and I think he's one of the most natural baby faces I've seen in a long time.

https://youtu.be/o0YJgm6Auz8

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1218 on: March 07, 2023, 01:21:13 PM »
dragunov is one of the few I think would be a lot more suited to AEW.    Walter, unfortunately not, as they’ve shown they don’t book hosses that well.

Interesting take. Care to elaborate?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1219 on: March 07, 2023, 01:58:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Based off seeing Ilja in the the Walter matches, he’s a guy who seems like he can really thrive in strong style matches.  Maybe I’m off, but he seems like a mix between Mox and Darby and I don’t know where on the main roster he’d be able to show off that tenacity. 

Walter/Gunter has the indie/PWG experience, but after Miro and Lance Archer, and to an extent Wardlow I don’t know that AEW would be the best fit for him other than unless he was going to be a Brodie Lee punisher challenge for a champ to endure.    They already have Jade as the undefeated juggernaut, I don’t necessarily think they need a second

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1220 on: March 07, 2023, 05:04:54 PM »
I’m going to NJPW at the ECW Arena next month.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1221 on: March 07, 2023, 07:22:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Based off seeing Ilja in the the Walter matches, he’s a guy who seems like he can really thrive in strong style matches.  Maybe I’m off, but he seems like a mix between Mox and Darby and I don’t know where on the main roster he’d be able to show off that tenacity. 

Walter/Gunter has the indie/PWG experience, but after Miro and Lance Archer, and to an extent Wardlow I don’t know that AEW would be the best fit for him other than unless he was going to be a Brodie Lee punisher challenge for a champ to endure.    They already have Jade as the undefeated juggernaut, I don’t necessarily think they need a second

I see Dragunov in a heavy mid card to quick main event role. I certainly could see him having a long run as an intercontinental champion (like Gunther) or be the US champ as a heel since they have the real opportunity (first non kayfabe Russian in WWE history) to go with that. Tap into the whole foreign villain story, etc. He has such as a classic in ring performance, just like Gunther. I feel like AEW would royally miss the mark on him & now you have nothing.

Side note: I cannot stand Darby Allin.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1222 on: March 07, 2023, 07:36:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I see Dragunov in a heavy mid card to quick main event role. I certainly could see him having a long run as an intercontinental champion (like Gunther) or be the US champ as a heel since they have the real opportunity (first non kayfabe Russian in WWE history) to go with that. Tap into the whole foreign villain story, etc. He has such as a classic in ring performance, just like Gunther. I feel like AEW would royally miss the mark on him & now you have nothing.

Side note: I cannot stand Darby Allin.

Hah that’s fine - I just mean Darby is a punishment absorber like Ilja is.   

I just don’t have faith in the Fed booking a foreign non-Samoan guy well especially with a mustachioed VKM getting his fingies back in creative.    Lest we forget how Walter was treated in that Survivor Series he was in.    Look, I’m not against him or a Lucha or Japanese guys doing well, I just have a strong feeling they don’t get the push they deserve
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 08:47:00 PM by Atiba Applebum »

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1223 on: March 07, 2023, 08:11:00 PM »

Have they announced a card? This year its a ppv and you know guys are gonna want to step it up in the house of hardcore so it's probably going to be great. I'd totally go to that if I was in the area. I've actually never been to the ECW Arena somehow. I drove past it while I was passing through town once but it was like 9am and this was during the years it was really a dump so there was nothing to see.

Brian Zane's revolution review is up. I like this guy, he just seems really wholesome.. Like I bet he has an unattractive wife but loves her just the same. These videos are a good highlight/summary/review in one so a good watch if you've missed a show. He has tons of classic ppvs reviews too. Dudes living the dream, he even turned it into a manager spot in pre-khan ROH and now he's got his own hometown indy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AgmX--y5x6s

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1224 on: March 08, 2023, 11:10:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have they announced a card? This year its a ppv and you know guys are gonna want to step it up in the house of hardcore so it's probably going to be great. I'd totally go to that if I was in the area. I've actually never been to the ECW Arena somehow. I drove past it while I was passing through town once but it was like 9am and this was during the years it was really a dump so there was nothing to see.

Brian Zane's revolution review is up. I like this guy, he just seems really wholesome.. Like I bet he has an unattractive wife but loves her just the same. These videos are a good highlight/summary/review in one so a good watch if you've missed a show. He has tons of classic ppvs reviews too. Dudes living the dream, he even turned it into a manager spot in pre-khan ROH and now he's got his own hometown indy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AgmX--y5x6s

Same state though.

There’s a great curb spot right by the Arena. It’s also really close to the only cheesesteak spot with a James Beard Award.

I’m convinced these US NJPW shows are test pilots for future AEW programs.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1225 on: March 08, 2023, 06:54:58 PM »
Had to turn off Dynamite tonight. Nothing kept my interest.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1226 on: March 09, 2023, 10:36:13 AM »
Had to turn off Dynamite tonight. Nothing kept my interest.

I was out by 8 so Ive got the Fite version downloading. I'm sure it's meh but I'll give it a shot at least. I didn't even bother looking at the card since the last like 4 weeks have been really weak and it doesn't seem to matter who they put on. I'll probably watch it over dinner.

I fell asleep watching old Paul Boesch "best of Houston wrestling" matches. There's actually a surprising amount of HD houston footage from the late 70s and early 80s floating around on the tube and someone put together a 300+ match playlist with tons of notable guys like Bruiser Brody, Gino, Duggan, Patera, and my favorite The Spoiler. Dude was the original high flying big man and trained the Undertaker. This is my first attempt at a YouTube clip so I apologize if it doesn't work but if it does this is from 78 and I feel like it's a sequence that would still get a huge pop if someone Spoilers size (billed at 6'5 295) pulled it off today.

https://youtu.be/RPVf0DC7ALs

Edit - doesn't seem to work... Sequence starts around 5:30
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:54:08 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1227 on: March 09, 2023, 10:39:32 AM »
Hobbs is a better talker than QT, why is QT his new mouthpiece? 🤡

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1228 on: March 09, 2023, 12:31:07 PM »
Seeing Claudio yell at Yuma almost in an off script fashion (likely?) to go back in the ring was funny. Claudio was just standing there while Mox was getting beat down.

Watched some Dark matches & saw a fairly entertaining one between Takeshita & Jack Cartwheel.

I like Takeshita.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1229 on: March 09, 2023, 12:46:30 PM »
The Saraya and company NWO bit is so lame. The AEW women’s roster has some great wrestlers that get buried over and over again because of bad booking. Not pursuing the Hayter vs. DMD angle was the dumbest idea. Would’ve gotten Hayter extra over. Their champion is taking a backseat to the painfully lame Saraya vs. DMD story because they mishandled her.

Is it just me or does anybody else groan every time Jeff Jarrett, Jay Lethal, and company come on? I feel like they’re just there to derail anything that actually could be interesting.

Revolution was tight though! Glad House of Black is back at the forefront.