Author Topic: Daan on homophobia  (Read 65324 times)

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
Re: Daan on homophobia
« Reply #450 on: August 09, 2021, 01:53:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Either people are lobotomized or you're conflating propaganda with corporate advertising.
[close]

Corporate advertising is a form of propaganda, but the end goal isn't to turn people gay, but to cynically appeal to progressive values only through representation. Showing gay people exist is the lowest bar to clear and does nothing really for gay rights other than to say "gay people love old navy too!"
[close]

Pointing out the hollow gesture of corporate diversity in advertising is not what anyone means when they use the term “LGBTQ propaganda” or “the gay/trans agenda.”
[close]

Are you kidding? This is exactly what people think of when Pride comes around and every single corporate entity changes their social media icons to rainbow flags for a month. Utterly fucking useless virtue signaling/symbolism.
[close]

They think pinkwashing is somehow orchestrated by the community?

No what I am saying is there are plenty of wide swaths of this country that are still more than slightly bothered by the idea of someone being gay, so when they see fucking United Airlines do a bunch of corporate shit for Pride, they see that as promoting the gay agenda.
ok thanks

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
« Reply #451 on: August 09, 2021, 01:53:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Either people are lobotomized or you're conflating propaganda with corporate advertising.
[close]

Corporate advertising is a form of propaganda, but the end goal isn't to turn people gay, but to cynically appeal to progressive values only through representation. Showing gay people exist is the lowest bar to clear and does nothing really for gay rights other than to say "gay people love old navy too!"
[close]

Pointing out the hollow gesture of corporate diversity in advertising is not what anyone means when they use the term “LGBTQ propaganda” or “the gay/trans agenda.”

I'm aware, i just wanted to illustrate a little bit of nuance. I'm certainly not giving any credence to what most people mean when they say "gay propaganda"

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Idk ive see ALOT of people online use the terms anytime theres talk of making previously straight fictional characters gay or introducing a gay or trans characters to shows and movies

People really do have problems with conflating representation with propaganda

Some are just ignorant and parroting talking points, see dynamics change and cant accurately decipher the nuances of societal attitudes changing, others are being purposely deceitful

This is also super accurate

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2552
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #452 on: August 09, 2021, 02:01:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Are you kidding? This is exactly what people think of when Pride comes around and every single corporate entity changes their social media icons to rainbow flags for a month. Utterly fucking useless virtue signaling/symbolism.
[close]

They think pinkwashing is somehow orchestrated by the community?
[close]

No what I am saying is there are plenty of wide swaths of this country that are still more than slightly bothered by the idea of someone being gay, so when they see fucking United Airlines do a bunch of corporate shit for Pride, they see that as promoting the gay agenda.

Sure, but trolls were arguing in this thread that Daan's meme wasn't directed against the community, when in fact "LGBT propaganda" is a phrase used exclusively by the anti-LGBTQ crowd. When they use it, they're not protesting pinkwashing, they're protesting LGBTQ rights and visibility.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #453 on: August 09, 2021, 02:02:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm aware, i just wanted to illustrate a little bit of nuance. I'm certainly not giving any credence to what most people mean when they say "gay propaganda"

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Idk ive see ALOT of people online use the terms anytime theres talk of making previously straight fictional characters gay or introducing a gay or trans characters to shows and movies

Some are just ignorant and parroting talking points, see dynamics change and cant accurately decipher the nuances of societal attitudes changing, others are being purposely deceitful
[close]

This is also super accurate

Yeah I mean, LGBTQ+ folks need to speak for themselves and not have this straight white cis-gendered middle aged doing it (me) but in talking to my friends and community members, there seems to be a persistent want to have trans actors play trans roles or beyond instead of merely having have roles written into film/tv content that are trans etc.
ok thanks

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1314
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #454 on: August 09, 2021, 04:30:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Pink Floyd made me the chronic masterbater I am today. Damn roger waters
[close]
Not to go all music cop in here but you gotta blame David Gilmour for that one unless you're talking about Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking and then that's literally all Roger Waters
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

biaherl

• Rep: 264
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #455 on: August 09, 2021, 06:43:53 PM »
It's been 5 days has the teaching moment been at least acknowledged by his sponsors

Switched back to my soggy Visit board and put the Ishod away till I hear something from DLX and Daan

My There board has not been shipped yet but they're on Bay time

#boycottDLX

autisticskaterkowabunga

• Rep: -30
  • im a gay bitch
« Reply #456 on: August 09, 2021, 06:59:17 PM »
go off sis DM if you need to talk to a qpoc peer at such a violent time in history - lets stop this hate sis

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #457 on: August 09, 2021, 07:44:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I get what you're saying, but they are doing two different things and they are used differently.

Like Alan pointed out, “LGBTQ propaganda” or “the gay/trans agenda” are terms used by anti-LGBTQ people who think that ANY representation of LGBTQ people is an attempt to "make kids gay" or bring on the collapse of modern civilization or whatever. They're terms designed to vilify LGBTQ people and accuse them of being predatory or evil. It's not what people say when pointing out pinkwashing. Sure, people will say it when they see brands showing support for Pride, but the people who say “LGBTQ propaganda” or “the gay/trans agenda” aren't pointing out the fact that brands are cynically and shallowly supporting the LGBTQ community. They're saying that there's an evil conspiracy by the gays to corrupt young minds and it's so effective, that now brands have to support it or they'll get cancelled.

Mainly, “LGBTQ propaganda” or “the gay/trans agenda” are terms used by people who are at best, uncomfortable with homosexuality or at worst are out-and-out bigots.

pro club blanks

« Reply #458 on: August 09, 2021, 11:47:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I get what you're saying, but they are doing two different things and they are used differently.

Like Alan pointed out, “LGBTQ propaganda” or “the gay/trans agenda” are terms used by anti-LGBTQ people who think that ANY representation of LGBTQ people is an attempt to "make kids gay" or bring on the collapse of modern civilization or whatever. They're terms designed to vilify LGBTQ people and accuse them of being predatory or evil. It's not what people say when pointing out pinkwashing. Sure, people will say it when they see brands showing support for Pride, but the people who say “LGBTQ propaganda” or “the gay/trans agenda” aren't pointing out the fact that brands are cynically and shallowly supporting the LGBTQ community. They're saying that there's an evil conspiracy by the gays to corrupt young minds and it's so effective, that now brands have to support it or they'll get cancelled.

Mainly, “LGBTQ propaganda” or “the gay/trans agenda” are terms used by people who are at best, uncomfortable with homosexuality or at worst are out-and-out bigots.
Thank you for taking the time to flesh out this post, I can see how insidious these tactics are when put into that context

An error I had was underestimating the malice that bigots feel toward LGBTQ and chalking it up to garden variety ignorance when it really is a willful mischaracterization

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #459 on: August 10, 2021, 01:01:55 AM »

Edit: I was wondering why there were so many Brazilians in this thread, and I think I now know why. If I'm not mistaken, propaganda has a different meaning in Portuguese than it does in English. I think it's (nearly) synonymous with advertising.

This doesn't make you defending Daan any more acceptable, but at least it explains some of your posts.

Yeap, propaganda is sometimes used as a synonym for advertisement, I mostly hear it in the Brazilian version of Portuguese. European Portuguese doesn't use it as much (at least I dont hear it around).
But I think the meaning of both words is actually different, people just get it mixed.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #460 on: August 10, 2021, 01:28:37 AM »
Fuck, social media is stupid. Who gives a shit what Daan’s views on anything regarding politics or social issues are he’s just some drunk who rides a wooden toy for a living. No one is following him for political commentary and even though I agree he’s a dumbass and possibly a homophobe, why do dlx need to say anything, and what good is talking shit on a message board gonna do. He probably doesn’t even realise he’s homophobic

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
« Reply #461 on: August 10, 2021, 02:08:48 AM »
Fuck, social media is stupid. Who gives a shit what Daan’s views on anything regarding politics or social issues are he’s just some drunk who rides a wooden toy for a living. No one is following him for political commentary and even though I agree he’s a dumbass and possibly a homophobe, why do dlx need to say anything, and what good is talking shit on a message board gonna do. He probably doesn’t even realise he’s homophobic

I agree with everything here. And as someone who has posted here for over ten years, cancel culture and the dweebs on here these days has just about broken me.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #462 on: August 10, 2021, 02:11:03 AM »

His intentions do not matter. Plus he got called out and stood by his post. He has a following of young people who look up to him, so hopefully the public backlash makes them realize their hero is full of shit. The skate scene has made some progress in becoming more inclusive over the last years, and it’s terrible to see people like him trying to sabotage change.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #463 on: August 10, 2021, 02:23:06 AM »
He should ask Wieger how life was/is before and after that sweet monthly salary from Nike that basically only requires you to live your dream, skate all the time and go on trips with some of the best skateboarders on this planet.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #464 on: August 10, 2021, 02:25:14 AM »
Some people say cancel culture, mostly culprits or rightwing
Some people say accountability and overall social progress

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #465 on: August 10, 2021, 02:55:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree with everything here. And as someone who has posted here for over ten years, cancel culture and the dweebs on here these days has just about broken me.

Here here

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #466 on: August 10, 2021, 04:05:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Here here

Wow, a string of wildly ignorant takes. I mean, if you don't wanna know that's whatever. I'm in the camp of being glad that via social media we are given an opportunity to make some informed decisions about where we put our support/dollars and would rather not give that to a person who expresses abhorrent views. 

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #467 on: August 10, 2021, 04:38:32 AM »
I think some valid points can be made against raging examples of "cancel culture", where people are being destroyed online without even given the chance to respond. However, in this case Daan got called out, stood by his post, and now he has to deal with the reality that a lot of people think it was shitty. I suspect a lot of the people claiming "cancel culture" here just secretly agree with his views.

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #468 on: August 10, 2021, 04:58:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It wasn’t the prolapsed assholes, gore, Tracer, endless river of dick pics and hairy assholes and incessant arguing. It was a pro being held accountable for promoting hate that broke you. Hahahahha

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #469 on: August 10, 2021, 05:13:51 AM »
I've decided on accepting any dlx boards you guys would like to purge. Ishod/Worrest TT's my daily so any of those are especially appreciated.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #470 on: August 10, 2021, 05:59:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Here here
[close]

Wow, a string of wildly ignorant takes. I mean, if you don't wanna know that's whatever. I'm in the camp of being glad that via social media we are given an opportunity to make some informed decisions about where we put our support/dollars and would rather not give that to a person who expresses abhorrent views.

I agree that Daan is a dumbass

I agree that he is possibly a homophobe.

I also will not be supporting him financially

But these hateful 30 page take downs on various people are too much and don't serve any purpose. But whatever have at it
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2552
« Reply #471 on: August 10, 2021, 06:04:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It wasn’t the prolapsed assholes, gore, Tracer, endless river of dick pics and hairy assholes and incessant arguing. It was a pro being held accountable for promoting hate that broke you. Hahahahha

LOL Exactly. What an outrage!
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
« Reply #472 on: August 10, 2021, 06:10:57 AM »
The reason these threads are so long have more to do with the fact that some people on here wanna defend homophobia or excuse it as not that bad (because it doesn't affect them and if it doesn't affect them, it can't really be that bad right?) much more so than it being 30 pages of us saying "gaaaahhhhh fuck Daan, put him on the rack or the wheel or the iron maiden and crush his bones into powder!"

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #473 on: August 10, 2021, 06:21:48 AM »

Edit: I was wondering why there were so many Brazilians in this thread, and I think I now know why. If I'm not mistaken, propaganda has a different meaning in Portuguese than it does in English. I think it's (nearly) synonymous with advertising.

This doesn't make you defending Daan any more acceptable, but at least it explains some of your posts.

i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #474 on: August 10, 2021, 06:54:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Here here
[close]

[close]

I agree that Daan is a dumbass

I agree that he is possibly a homophobe.

I also will not be supporting him financially

But these hateful 30 page take downs on various people are too much and don't serve any purpose. But whatever have at it
then shut up. everything that needs saying has been said, this thread keeps getting longer bc dumbasses wanna continue to complain about buzz words or defend homophobia and then you jump on every chance to co-sign which causes someone to have to restate the obvious. don’t engage and the thread goes away

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #475 on: August 10, 2021, 07:16:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I guess the difference is a lot of that stuff happens in Whatever rather than Useless Wooden Toy Banter or Media which are debatably the draw for most people.

Its good to see wiener wallets and the Boobs/Asses sticky threads are pretty much only archival evidence of Slap's insensitivity, but there still exists an Appreciation thread for Erica Yary that is boils down to 37 pages of people cruising her insta for glimpses of nipple.

It would be interesting to see if there's any cross over in who has posted in threads looking to scalp pros for sharing memes and those joining in on wildly crass ones... Probably best to let sleeping dogs lie and chalk it up to a maturation.

donkey

• Rep: -66
  • donk
« Reply #476 on: August 10, 2021, 07:26:26 AM »
It's been 5 days has the teaching moment been at least acknowledged by his sponsors

Switched back to my soggy Visit board and put the Ishod away till I hear something from DLX and Daan

My There board has not been shipped yet but they're on Bay time

#boycottDLX
cant tell if this post is ironic or not but if not you're a dumbass lol

SR ACF

• Rep: -291
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #477 on: August 10, 2021, 08:19:04 AM »
It is mad to me how many people pull off the mental corkscrew of being

1.) US Americans that live in a country that elected a dumbfuck C-celebrity TV-Host for president
2.) on this very board reading other skater's in-depth explanations about why pro skaters can't get slips for being assholes

and then still come on here and play the bullshit-ecrusted violin of 'who gives a fuck what he thinks or says, he's just a skater'. Like... how much more does it take for you doughnuts to realize that people in totally undeserved celebrity positions have a stronger political influence today than pretty much any entire entitiy in the public arena?

Let's say a random sample of 13 year old US boys get to see their favourite skater complain about the "LGBT propaganda", and same boys also get a talk on basic civil rights and progressive social dynamics and feminism in school by a visiting spokesperson, like let's say a university post-doc or so. Who is seriously going to doubt what the vast majority of these boys' opinion will be about LGBTQ+ rights? Even if the skater is 'just a drunk on a wooden stick' and the other is a highly educated expert. Plus also let's get real, this same example doesn't work only for 13 yr old boys but also for the vast majority of adults on this forum and the entire industry...

Fred Galls Crack Pipe

• Rep: -7
« Reply #478 on: August 10, 2021, 08:36:50 AM »
It is mad to me how many people pull off the mental corkscrew of being

1.) US Americans that live in a country that elected a dumbfuck C-celebrity TV-Host for president
2.) on this very board reading other skater's in-depth explanations about why pro skaters can't get slips for being assholes

and then still come on here and play the bullshit-ecrusted violin of 'who gives a fuck what he thinks or says, he's just a skater'. Like... how much more does it take for you doughnuts to realize that people in totally undeserved celebrity positions have a stronger political influence today than pretty much any entire entitiy in the public arena?

Let's say a random sample of 13 year old US boys get to see their favourite skater complain about the "LGBT propaganda", and same boys also get a talk on basic civil rights and progressive social dynamics and feminism in school by a visiting spokesperson, like let's say a university post-doc or so. Who is seriously going to doubt what the vast majority of these boys' opinion will be about LGBTQ+ rights? Even if the skater is 'just a drunk on a wooden stick' and the other is a highly educated expert. Plus also let's get real, this same example doesn't work only for 13 yr old boys but also for the vast majority of adults on this forum and the entire industry...

It’s hilarious to me most of Europe is on the same bird brained shit a majority of the time but gets none of the blame. Hell look what France is doing with Hijabs.

SHOUT OUT C MURDER

cky enthusiast

« Reply #479 on: August 10, 2021, 08:56:48 AM »
don’t point that out or you’ll get an army of barely intelligible euros flooding this shit again