Author Topic: HDMI Camera Monitors  (Read 250 times)

listentoaheartbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
HDMI Camera Monitors
« on: December 27, 2023, 01:19:12 AM »
Hi everyone, any recommendations for a camera monitor? Looking at the Atomos Shinobi but wondering if there are cheaper alternatives that are sturdy and bright enough for filming skatebording. I’ve rigged my EOS M6 Mark II and it’s a nicely balanced setup, but the handle is blocking the screen. Cannot set it up differently since it will poke into the image when filming fisheye.

wiggitywiggity

• Rep: 25
  • You Don't Gnome Me Man!
Re: HDMI Camera Monitors
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 11:28:48 AM »
At the AV company I work for, I use the Atomos Shogun very regularly for our camera operators. I'd recommend a smaller Atomos for filming skating with a hotshoe adapter & that would work nice. You kind of get what you pay for with Atomos, I love them.

Does your Canon have an SDI out port? I ask because those are more reliable than HDMI since they lock into the monitor whereas HDMI does not and could easily pop out.

A big plus to those too is you can record backup to the SSD caddy they come with! Never a bad idea in case something funky happens with card recordings.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 10:10:29 AM »
Yeah, leaning towards the Atomos Shinobi since the cheaper options seem to have poor build quality, among other drawbacks. I won’t buy a Ninja with built-in recorder mainly for budget reasons. Maybe I’ll upgrade if I get really hooked on filming again. Unfortunately, no SDI on my cam. Even worse, it has micro HDMI. Going to use cable clamps on my camera cage for a solid connection.

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 11:03:13 AM »
I’ve always used the SmallHD Focus 5” monitor which can be found for like $150. Get the coreSX battery pack and it lasts forever.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 11:43:45 AM »
I’ve always used the SmallHD Focus 5” monitor which can be found for like $150. Get the coreSX battery pack and it lasts forever.

Just checked, looks like it’s hard to find here in Germany and used prices are 250€+. Is it bright enough when the sun is out?

SlapTM

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 12:56:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just checked, looks like it’s hard to find here in Germany and used prices are 250€+. Is it bright enough when the sun is out?
I've always used the shade with it and haven't had any issues.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 04:18:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Looking good, thanks. Is that the AT stereo mic using a mid-side configuration? Was wondering if it might be a great option for skateboarding since one can dial in the amount of stereo ambience in post.

SlapTM

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 05:47:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Looking good, thanks. Is that the AT stereo mic using a mid-side configuration? Was wondering if it might be a great option for skateboarding since one can dial in the amount of stereo ambience in post.
Yeah the SmallHD arm has a cold shoe mount on it so I just attach the mic to that. I’ve always personally like this mic and haven’t experienced any issues so would definitely recommend.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 02:38:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Yeah the SmallHD arm has a cold shoe mount on it so I just attach the mic to that. I’ve always personally like this mic and haven’t experienced any issues so would definitely recommend.

Cool, I already bought a Røde Videomic NTG but happened to find the AT used for cheap so I'll just get it, too. I really need winter to end so I can actually go out and film, I am just obsessing over gear right now.  ;D