Author Topic: Counting Sheep But Skating  (Read 674 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Counting Sheep But Skating
« on: August 15, 2021, 04:59:53 AM »
Does anyone else go over different tricks as they’re going to sleep?  Like straight up visualizing them and/or breaking down how it should feel as you’re doing the trick (weight distribution, posture, pressure, etc).

I don’t know if it actually helps my skating, but it is kinda meditative I guess.  Anyone else do this dork shit?  Or am I just a weirdo?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Fhk

Re: Counting Sheep But Skating
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 05:31:21 AM »
Does anyone else go over different tricks as they’re going to sleep?  Like straight up visualizing them and/or breaking down how it should feel as you’re doing the trick (weight distribution, posture, pressure, etc).

I don’t know if it actually helps my skating, but it is kinda meditative I guess.  Anyone else do this dork shit?  Or am I just a weirdo?
Dork shit? Yes that's why your on Slap.
Weirdo? Possibly, are you pleasuring yourself as you visualize yourself performing these tricks. If so what happens when you land one?

dofrenzy

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 05:33:32 AM »

I do this.  Visualization is helpful.  From what I hear, if you lose a limb you will still experience “phantom” sensations like heat, cold, and itchiness.  I think this is because those limbs exist more in your brain than they do on your body.

And if your skull is opened up and your brain is removed, you won’t feel your limbs any more and you can’t even move them at all.

So I believe that when you learn how to control your movements in your brain, controlling them in real life becomes a little bit easier.  You can also do things in slow motion in your brain.  From what I understand, this is an important technique for high level athletes and musicians and probably anyone who performs a physical task at a high level.

OldCandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 01:39:03 PM »

oh fuck yeah but its more like a shadowy silhoutte of a trick like gazelle flips and fat heels
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 02:30:01 PM »
So I believe that when you learn how to control your movements in your brain, controlling them in real life becomes a little bit easier.  You can also do things in slow motion in your brain.  From what I understand, this is an important technique for high level athletes and musicians and probably anyone who performs a physical task at a high level.

Yeah, this is big. One's window of time spent learning a trick doesn't necessarily have to coincide with their window of time spent physically battling it (as long as they already are in the appropriate physical condition with the needed motor skills), just like you don't need to physically be at work to put even subconscious thought into work-related projects (and thus indirectly be working on them). These days, it's really not uncommon for me to fall asleep on a new idea and then the next morning, because I've already expected and corrected whatever I could imagine going wrong, it turns out that within a few tries I can just materialize it as if I really always knew how to. If your grasp on the reality of gravity and skateboard physics is developed enough then visualization definitely helps in theory, the mental labor is the same except with the luxury of not beating yourself up while unnecessarily going through repeated motions.

You can also see the complete opposite in those people who sometimes do spend a lot of time trying hard to learn certain tricks, except to no avail despite their insistence throughout the years - physical effort that never leads anywhere because they're not putting actual thought into it, and so really just focused on kicking their board around as opposed to working towards a set goal (as if part of them didn't really want the trick, and it really were just busy work).

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 02:49:52 PM »
And if your skull is opened up and your brain is removed, you won’t feel your limbs any more and you can’t even move them at all.

Hmm, ya don’t say.   :o

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

sceatmon

• Rep: 5
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 08:31:10 PM »
 I've been nollie-flipping myself to sleep for at least 5 years

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 11:22:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, this is big. One's window of time spent learning a trick doesn't necessarily have to coincide with their window of time spent physically battling it (as long as they already are in the appropriate physical condition with the needed motor skills), just like you don't need to physically be at work to put even subconscious thought into work-related projects (and thus indirectly be working on them). These days, it's really not uncommon for me to fall asleep on a new idea and then the next morning, because I've already expected and corrected whatever I could imagine going wrong, it turns out that within a few tries I can just materialize it as if I really always knew how to. If your grasp on the reality of gravity and skateboard physics is developed enough then visualization definitely helps in theory, the mental labor is the same except with the luxury of not beating yourself up while unnecessarily going through repeated motions.

You can also see the complete opposite in those people< who sometimes do spend a lot of time trying hard to learn certain tricks, except to no avail despite their insistence throughout the years - physical effort that never leads anywhere because they're not putting actual thought into it, and so really just focused on kicking their board around as opposed to working towards a set goal (as if part of them didn't really want the trick, and it really were just busy work).

holy fuck this is so true but i never knew how to put it into words and make it sound like not a pile of shit
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

dofrenzy

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 04:39:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hmm, ya don’t say.   :o

OK, I know….the tongue in cheek-ness of my comment doesn’t quite translate in text.  The comment is meant to emphasize the point for people who think they always need to be physically engaged to learn something.  It is difficult for some people to accept that thinking about a physical activity can actually help them get better at the activity….so I throw in a little obvious comment to drive the point home.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 04:55:56 AM »
Oh, gotcha.  I missed the sarcasm on the first read-through.

dofrenzy

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 05:13:47 AM »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 06:26:59 AM »
I do a lot of that when I'm actually skating. I don't know why my two fingers representing my legs like the "crushing your head" Kids in the Hall character to help visualize what I'm attempting on the obstacle in front of me works, but I still do it. Whatever works, right?

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 06:42:48 AM »
^They say Yuto was doing the little finger leg man thing in a back corner somewhere right before he went out there and won gold.

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 07:29:07 AM »
Here’s a quick article about the OP subject:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/flourish/200912/seeing-is-believing-the-power-visualization

That was great read! I too can visualize doing tricks on my board, hell I can even visualize tricks that I can't do... maybe that's a sign that I can actually do them lol

I'm putting the tips described in the article to use

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 09:26:57 PM »
Absolutely. I do this all the time while I'm trying to fall asleep.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2021, 10:53:29 PM »
Definitely.......a few meditations: every 180 and shuv to the most minute detail ie where are your hands...
I'm turning 48 so I always think of 48 tricks on.......and before you know it.....zzzzzzzzzz......

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2021, 12:13:23 PM »
Sometimes I will even have dreams with tricks I'm trying to learn. I remember figuring out how to a 360 ollie in my sleep...I think it's a combination of muscle memory, watching lots of skate videos and the strong desire to do the trick

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2021, 11:29:17 AM »
I do this every night. I can feel the sliding of a bs tailslide but I can’t imagine the roll away because I’ve never done a legit one before. Spent all summer thinking about how to get consistent at landing in them as I went to sleep each night.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 12:05:49 PM by willphansbiggestfan »