Author Topic: How Should I Upgrade As A Beginner Filmer  (Read 1195 times)

Prinzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 178
How Should I Upgrade As A Beginner Filmer
« on: June 23, 2021, 08:45:40 AM »
Sup homies, I have a few questions for you more filming inclined slappers.

I've been filming our little local crew for a bit now using my iPhone 7, a generic handle, and a DeathLens fisheye. It was a great set up in the beginning until we started getting more hyped on the idea of filming an actual edit. The iPhone set up has the great convenience factor and the DeathLens actually looks really good for what it is.

Where this set up suffers is mainly long lens, as there isn't much I can do to make long lens filming NOT look like it was on an iPhone, specifically when it comes to zooming.

So for the past few months, I've been going down the endless rabbit hole of trying to find a new set up. I'm not all that technologically inclined to understand all the ins and outs of cameras and professional filmmaking, so a consumer handycam/camcorder is more what I'm leaning towards (not to mention my dislike of the look of DSLR filming). Also trying to keep the end expenses (camera, lens, accessories, etc) around the $800-$1000 range.

Just wanted to drop some of the options that seem most appealing and get some feedback from people who know far more than me on this topic

Sony TRV900/VX2000

These two are extremely tempting options, but it seems like buying the camera is only half the expenses that I'll have to deal with. The cost of a fisheye, tapes, and the inevitable issues I'll run into with an old camera deters me from going this route, as much as I really want to. Is the tape shortage really as bad as I'm making it out to be?

$500ish Handycams

Options like the Panasonic HC-V800, Canon HF R800, stuff like that. I'm not all that concerned about the highest quality footage, so 4K and stuff like that isn't something I'd pay more money for. The ease of use of these is really appealing to an amateur like myself, but I hesitate on these options as I'd imagine fisheye's for these dont look all that good and also wonder other than zooming capabilities, will these be all that much of a visual improvement from an iPhone?

Used versions of $1000-1500 Camcorders

To upgrade from the previous option, things like the Canon Vixia HF G10 hover around the $500 mark on eBay. These options seem the smartest on the surface level, but I hesitate thinking I may be getting in over my head upgrading to something that robust and powerful.

I appreciate any feedback you guys have, especially to this amateur ass question.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

nickpaolucci

Re: How Should I Upgrade As A Beginner Filmer
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 09:32:13 AM »
i think the trv is a good option. dv tapes aren't that hard to find on amazon. here's a link to a trv edit which i think looks pretty impressive:

donkey

• Rep: -67
  • donk
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 12:07:11 PM »
whats your budget? personally i wouldn't go for anything other than trv-900, sony vx1, or a panasonic hpx/hvx. it might sound dumb to limit your choices to these but if you want the most iconic looking footage i would stick around the tried and true. even a vx1 with an mk2 is a good choice nowadays, then make it tapeless and you're all set

Prinzy

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 02:21:11 PM »
i think the trv is a good option. dv tapes aren't that hard to find on amazon. here's a link to a trv edit which i think looks pretty impressive:

that was sick and definitely what i'd like to get stylistically from a camera, just the ease of the use of using my phone made tapes seem like a hassle, but it honestly seems worth it

whats your budget? personally i wouldn't go for anything other than trv-900, sony vx1, or a panasonic hpx/hvx. it might sound dumb to limit your choices to these but if you want the most iconic looking footage i would stick around the tried and true. even a vx1 with an mk2 is a good choice nowadays, then make it tapeless and you're all set

id like to spend no more than $1000 to get fully up and filming. that makes the trv far more appealing from a budget standpoint than a vx. i figured vx1's were out of the price range from the start, so i was mainly looking at vx2's. the hxv also seems like a dope option. the more i think about it, the less tapes seem like the issue i made them out to be.

trv seems like the leading option rn, but if you have any opinions about the hxv or any good videos to get a feel for it, send em my way

i appreciate the feedback homies

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 01:33:43 AM »
i would get a trv900 with an external mic, and a century babydeath (or opteka 37mm). then make a handle for it.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 08:33:39 PM »

I've been filming our little local crew for a bit now using my iPhone 7, a generic handle, and a DeathLens fisheye. It was a great set up in the beginning until we started getting more hyped on the idea of filming an actual edit. The iPhone set up has the great convenience factor and the DeathLens actually looks really good for what it is.

Where this set up suffers is mainly long lens, as there isn't much I can do to make long lens filming NOT look like it was on an iPhone, specifically when it comes to zooming.

So for the past few months, I've been going down the endless rabbit hole of trying to find a new set up. I'm not all that technologically inclined to understand all the ins and outs of cameras and professional filmmaking, so a consumer handycam/camcorder is more what I'm leaning towards (not to mention my dislike of the look of DSLR filming). Also trying to keep the end expenses (camera, lens, accessories, etc) around the $800-$1000 range.

Just wanted to drop some of the options that seem most appealing and get some feedback from people who know far more than me on this topic

Sony TRV900/VX2000

These two are extremely tempting options, but it seems like buying the camera is only half the expenses that I'll have to deal with. The cost of a fisheye, tapes, and the inevitable issues I'll run into with an old camera deters me from going this route, as much as I really want to. Is the tape shortage really as bad as I'm making it out to be?

$500ish Handycams

Options like the Panasonic HC-V800, Canon HF R800, stuff like that. I'm not all that concerned about the highest quality footage, so 4K and stuff like that isn't something I'd pay more money for. The ease of use of these is really appealing to an amateur like myself, but I hesitate on these options as I'd imagine fisheye's for these dont look all that good and also wonder other than zooming capabilities, will these be all that much of a visual improvement from an iPhone?

To upgrade from the previous option, things like the Canon Vixia HF G10 hover around the $500 mark on eBay. These options seem the smartest on the surface level, but I hesitate thinking I may be getting in over my head upgrading to something that robust and powerful.

I appreciate any feedback you guys have, especially to this amateur ass question.

Did you end up buying anything? I am kind of in the same boat as you.

I agree that most prosumer $1000 tier HD cameras are just too much for where i'm at and how much i'd use em.

I basically just want something that isn't my phone, with tons of recording space, and a nice optical zoom, that takes decent footage close enough to my phones quality, with a lens thread i can slap a budget fisheye on. big bonus if it's light and fits in my normal backpack.

I think the only thing to watch out for is at the like $300-$500 tier, the low light performance of those budget cameras is really bad. Digital noise looks really terrible.

obviously TRV900 is tried and true, but I don't want to be fucking with tapes ever in 2021.

I did find this post where @baustin uses a Kapkur fisheye on an Canon HF20, and it looks pretty good. Again, does not even compare to a pro camera, but it also costs $800 less.

Happy to report the fisheye looks insanely good on my little Canon HF20!

Footage below, fisheye clips with the Kapkur 37mm + one spacer begin at 2:21.

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 03:17:30 AM »
Expand Quote

Sony TRV900/VX2000

$500ish Handycams

[close]

I agree that most prosumer $1000 tier HD cameras are just too much for where i'm at and how much i'd use em.

I basically just want something that isn't my phone, with tons of recording space, and a nice optical zoom, that takes decent footage close enough to my phones quality, with a lens thread i can slap a budget fisheye on. big bonus if it's light and fits in my normal backpack.

I think the only thing to watch out for is at the like $300-$500 tier, the low light performance of those budget cameras is really bad. Digital noise looks really terrible.

obviously TRV900 is tried and true, but I don't want to be fucking with tapes ever in 2021.

I did find this post where @baustin uses a Kapkur fisheye on an Canon HF20, and it looks pretty good. Again, does not even compare to a pro camera, but it also costs $800 less.

Expand Quote

[close]

if you go the HF20 route, don't get a kapkur but this fisheye instead:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673936-REG/Opteka_OPTSC37FE_37mm_0_3X_HD_Ultra.html
it has way better distorsion and if there is not enough vig, you can use spacers

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 07:55:54 AM »
I personally would not mess with tapes in 2021. There is an undeniable aesthetic there, but if you're used to the convenience of a phone, just get a mid-range HD camera with decent optical zoom and stabilization.

Optical zoom and stabilization are important for long-lens and will look a lot better than your phone.

If you can also manage to get a cheap fisheye for the cam then you're set for that too.

after that, sound is important too, even a cheap external mic (Video Micro or something) is gonna sound way better than most onboard mics.

Prinzy

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 06:11:43 PM »
Expand Quote

Sony TRV900/VX2000

$500ish Handycams

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

I haven’t yet, I keep settling on an option, thinking on it and then deciding it’s not the move. I’ve been on the TRV900 option the most later, pricing out different eBay listings with lenses, tapes, etc. Once I saw that Praca Brasil video was filmed with one, I thought it would be the choice

Tapes still deter me though. That option you posted doesn’t seem too bad, with the Opteka lense it seems like a solid choice.

I personally would not mess with tapes in 2021. There is an undeniable aesthetic there, but if you're used to the convenience of a phone, just get a mid-range HD camera with decent optical zoom and stabilization.

Optical zoom and stabilization are important for long-lens and will look a lot better than your phone.

If you can also manage to get a cheap fisheye for the cam then you're set for that too.

after that, sound is important too, even a cheap external mic (Video Micro or something) is gonna sound way better than most onboard mics.

These are the points that have kept me from pulling a trigger on a TRV900. The search for the right setup continues, I’ll update you guys if and when I make a purchase.