Author Topic: POS thunder stock bushing  (Read 2765 times)

OldCandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
POS thunder stock bushing
« on: August 19, 2021, 07:34:17 PM »
ive recently aquired like 3 sets of those clear blue thunder stock bushings and i keep splitting them, at first i thought it was the top washer digging into the bushing so i flipped it around but it still split, i am 130lbs and ride my trucks with 1 kingpin thread showing.
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: POS thunder stock bushing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 08:08:44 PM »
Same, I've had friends with brand new 90a bushings on the 147 and they disintegrated after 2-3 sessions. Medium tightness, nothing crazy.

I've seen this happen more on the mid 2020 trucks, less on the recent batches of clear blue bushings. No issues on the orange ones that come with the 148.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 01:11:23 PM »
I tend to not use new bushings ever, so I swapped out my recent clear blues for used white, but I would say the 'fit and finish' of the blue ones were a bit rougher around the edges than normal.

Picked up some Riptides for my thunders and damn, they are sexy bushings...you know how new ACE bushings are all 'buttery' to the touch? Like Riptide cups are? They're like that. Bit shorter than thunder bottoms but whatever, I'm over the OCD of "but my bhushings changesh my geometrics by a 0.000175mm therebys pulling my wheelbashe in or out" - if anything I'm cool with thunders compressing /puling in a bit more.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 04:14:41 PM by Xen »

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 01:46:40 PM »
My most recent pair had those bushings and while they lasted a month (still not very long) I noticed they were a lot softer than the stock bushing of my last set. I ride med-tight trucks and it sounds like you were riding them on the tight side too; Thunder simply wasn't looking out for us with those. Wish they'd stick to a more adaptable medium hardness for their stocks. Just makes sense. I got some Thunder ” upgrade" bushings (94a) now and they're much better.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 02:38:44 PM »
The gummy yellow ones are better than the blues. I will die on this hill.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 03:05:22 PM »
The clear green hangar side one on my lights II is pretty massacred on the back truck, but fine on the front.

It seems most of the cracking is just aesthetic though as they ride fine... I've pretty much just left them to it.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 04:02:29 PM »
I’m calling bullshit, I’ve had a set of thunder 148’s clear blue bushings and skate every other day and they’ve been holding up my fat ass I’m 210+lbs they’ve been going strong for a year and half.
Dueces Bitch's

wilk

• Rep: -2
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 05:20:48 PM »
I’m calling bullshit, I’ve had a set of thunder 148’s clear blue bushings and skate every other day and they’ve been holding up my fat ass I’m 210+lbs they’ve been going strong for a year and half.

I don't, I just got a set of 147's like 4 months ago with those blue bushings and one of them got shredded in a couple sessions (top one), I didn't notice it until I realized something didn't feel right with my board. I threw in my old bones medium bushings that I've had for like 2 years and they are still going. Something weird going on with with those clear blue bushings lately and this thread confirms my suspicions. Sucks because I think they look cool and they worked fine untill it broke. Maybe yours came out slightly different since yours are from over a year ago. Maybe the recent trucks stayed on a boat too long or something.

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 06:21:51 PM »

why the fuck would i lie about this lmao

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 06:23:28 PM »
My most recent pair had those bushings and while they lasted a month (still not very long) I noticed they were a lot softer than the stock bushing of my last set. I ride med-tight trucks and it sounds like you were riding them on the tight side too; Thunder simply wasn't looking out for us with those. Wish they'd stick to a more adaptable medium hardness for their stocks. Just makes sense. I got some Thunder ” upgrade" bushings (94a) now and they're much better.

is one kingpin thread showing tight? besides, the nut is all short and grinded down.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 06:44:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Could be bad batches, shit happens.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 09:48:25 PM »
Had this happen to 3 friends all riding brand new trucks. Specifically the 147 standard.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2021, 10:27:30 PM »
Never had or heard of a bad Thunder bushing and definitely don’t find stock bushings loose.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 02:21:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m not saying you’re a liar lol, I’m just saying stock bushings on thunders for me have been running strong and I’m still riding them with little damage.

Idk 🤷‍♀️ what you’re doing to them but I do know different climates and temperatures have a dramatic effect on eurathane and or rubber, had a setup with soft d’s and bones soft bushings in storage for a few year’s skated it for a week or to and the wheels and bushings chunked and fell apart.
Dueces Bitch's

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 02:39:46 PM »
I noticed that I do a lot of slappy crooks and feebles and that digs into my bushings hard so I've noticed that the washers dig into the bushings and cut them if I'm over extending the turning of the truck. I do ride thunders and have had the same issues.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 02:43:26 PM »
flat washer

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 03:07:53 PM »
I've been riding my cast 147s a little over a year and have had similar issues. I'm also pretty skinny (130s lb) and I ride my trucks pretty loose. I blew out one of the stock bottom bushings within the first 4 months (I think on my back truck). I got a set of the aftermarket thunder stock bushings (yellow 90 Du) and same thing happened again lol. On my 3rd set now and have zero issues. I guess third time's the charm lol

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 03:49:32 PM »
I do find the stock Thunder bushings will split after a while, but the clear blue ones I have on my 149's have been fine for a while now.

But also - Thunder has an upgrade kit with better bushings, both sets of kingpin washers, kingpin nuts, axel nuts, and pivot cups for a few bucks less than one set of Bones bushings. It retails for only $12 in Canada so I'm assuming it's no more than $10 US. That's a crazy deal for what comes in the package.