Author Topic: New shoes make my deck feel waterlogged?  (Read 879 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
New shoes make my deck feel waterlogged?
« on: August 21, 2021, 08:09:24 PM »
Hi all, was hoping to get some insights if anyone has experienced this before. I finally blew a hole in the sole of my AVEs and found a pair of Lynx Zeros on sale. I took them out today to break them in and noticed it made both of the setups I have feel super waterlogged and it was hard for me to even pop over knee high cones. Has anyone ever experienced this? They're both cupsoles so I didn't think it would be so different feeling and I've never had this issue on any other pair of shoes.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 64
Re: New shoes make my deck feel waterlogged?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 06:45:33 AM »
Hi all, was hoping to get some insights if anyone has experienced this before. I finally blew a hole in the sole of my AVEs and found a pair of Lynx Zeros on sale. I took them out today to break them in and noticed it made both of the setups I have feel super waterlogged and it was hard for me to even pop over knee high cones. Has anyone ever experienced this? They're both cupsoles so I didn't think it would be so different feeling and I've never had this issue on any other pair of shoes.

I can’t vouch for those shoes specifically, but I’ve experienced what I think you’re describing here.

One or two cups I’ve skated - DC plaza or barksdale I think was the model name, and a Supra Hammer both made me feel as if when weighting down for a trick and popping was less responsive and pop much less at first.
I think it was the soles / insoles and once they had worn down in the outsole enough and shoe + insole moulding to my feet it felt like normal again. Between 2 and 6 hours of skating completely approximately and will vary between type of skating, terrain etc etc.  Hammers were perfect after a couple of hours of walking wear then 2 hrs skating, whereas the DC one I had to wear daily for about 4 days before considering skating in them.
It’s not that this is something exclusive to cupsoles in  my experience, I’ve felt the same about some harder soled vulcs.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s ever worth stepping on a board with any cupsole shoe as soon as they are out of the box. Wear them normally first. For a while at least.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 10:52:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I can’t vouch for those shoes specifically, but I’ve experienced what I think you’re describing here.

One or two cups I’ve skated - DC plaza or barksdale I think was the model name, and a Supra Hammer both made me feel as if when weighting down for a trick and popping was less responsive and pop much less at first.
I think it was the soles / insoles and once they had worn down in the outsole enough and shoe + insole moulding to my feet it felt like normal again. Between 2 and 6 hours of skating completely approximately and will vary between type of skating, terrain etc etc.  Hammers were perfect after a couple of hours of walking wear then 2 hrs skating, whereas the DC one I had to wear daily for about 4 days before considering skating in them.
It’s not that this is something exclusive to cupsoles in  my experience, I’ve felt the same about some harder soled vulcs.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s ever worth stepping on a board with any cupsole shoe as soon as they are out of the box. Wear them normally first. For a while at least.

Makes sense! Thanks for explaining that. I'll wear them for a few days before skating in them again

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 11:09:08 AM »
If I would have waited around 12 hours, Ben could have answered this for me lol

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 03:09:57 PM »
There's a loose science to this and is generally backed up by the community (skate rats and flow-bros to Ams and Pros)

- New board + broken in shoes = PERFECT

- New board + new shoes = GREAT (not for everyone but def works well)

- Old board + broken in shoes = GOOD (maybe great if you prefer worn in gear)

- Old board + new shoes = BAD (this one is because new shoes are often too stiff and too grippy, thus older deck grip is not as responsive and feels "dead" or "waterlogged" when skating new shoes. Milage may vary if you try vulc vs cup, however)

I try to break in two shoes at a time, so if I ever blow through my main pair on my broken in deck, I have a spare pair to hold me over on it until I can set up a new deck if the board still has life in it.
Super Champion Fun Zone

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 06:25:14 PM »
There's a loose science to this and is generally backed up by the community (skate rats and flow-bros to Ams and Pros)

- New board + broken in shoes = PERFECT

- New board + new shoes = GREAT (not for everyone but def works well)

- Old board + broken in shoes = GOOD (maybe great if you prefer worn in gear)

- Old board + new shoes = BAD (this one is because new shoes are often too stiff and too grippy, thus older deck grip is not as responsive and feels "dead" or "waterlogged" when skating new shoes. Milage may vary if you try vulc vs cup, however)

I try to break in two shoes at a time, so if I ever blow through my main pair on my broken in deck, I have a spare pair to hold me over on it until I can set up a new deck if the board still has life in it.

Ya know come to think of it, this is the first time in awhile I’ve ridden new shoes on an old board. Also, I’m stealing the tip on breaking in two shoes at a time. Don’t know why I didn’t do that before

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 09:32:28 AM »
The thing about new shoes is there’s a break in awkwardness, whenever you get a a whole fresh kit shoes, setup, whatever there’s going to be an adjustment issue same thing with a new board and old shoes there’s a psychosomatic logic behind each piece you get.
Dueces Bitch's