Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 134043 times)

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 460
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1020 on: February 18, 2023, 10:45:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What thunders did I just buy?

I ordered what I thought were team 148, but they arrived with orange bushings instead of blue.

Did I get a bushing upgrade? Is this different from the team model?

how to upload id on facebook
[close]

What made you expect blue bushings? Hollow lights come with blue ones
[close]

I guess because the other pair I have on my 7.75 say team on the baseplate and have blue bushings.

Yes those are Team Editions. All sizes of the polished teams come with the clear blue bushings with the exception of the 148 which is clear orange.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1021 on: February 18, 2023, 05:41:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I ordered what I thought were team 148, but they arrived with orange bushings instead of blue.

[close]

[close]

I guess because the other pair I have on my 7.75 say team on the baseplate and have blue bushings.

It is a bit funny and others have asked about it in the shop too, but because the 148 (8.25" width) size was relatively new (from 2017), compared to the other mostly smaller sizes, they gave them translucent orange bushings and never changed.

The other team sizes have had translucent yellow bushings for a long time with the translucent blue ones being the norm now for a few years.

All of those came with black washers, nuts, etc.

Hollow options seem to have translucent blue or more commonly now green bushings with silver washers, nuts, etc.

Any other special editions or pro trucks have whatever the colourway match / riders choose for their own trucks.

All are the same 90 duro, including the plain white ones too, but some people often say they prefer certain colours over others, or the white bushings over the translucent coloured or the other way round.  I have even swapped around some bushings for some people because they just didn't want to ride the colour they came with.  Whatever keeps them happy, I guess.

This was easy enough to get some pics:

Team standard (old)

Team standard (new)

Team 148

Hollow options

Other versions with white bushings

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Richard Skidder

« Reply #1022 on: February 19, 2023, 05:02:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It is a bit funny and others have asked about it in the shop too, but because the 148 (8.25" width) size was relatively new (from 2017), compared to the other mostly smaller sizes, they gave them translucent orange bushings and never changed.

The other team sizes have had translucent yellow bushings for a long time with the translucent blue ones being the norm now for a few years.

All of those came with black washers, nuts, etc.

Hollow options seem to have translucent blue or more commonly now green bushings with silver washers, nuts, etc.

Any other special editions or pro trucks have whatever the colourway match / riders choose for their own trucks.

All are the same 90 duro, including the plain white ones too, but some people often say they prefer certain colours over others, or the white bushings over the translucent coloured or the other way round.  I have even swapped around some bushings for some people because they just didn't want to ride the colour they came with.  Whatever keeps them happy, I guess.

This was easy enough to get some pics:

Team standard (old)

Team standard (new)

Team 148

Hollow options

Other versions with white bushings

All of this is correct but here’s a little more detail on the Lights vs Hollow Lights:

All examples are for polished

Forged baseplate, green or yellow bushing is Thunder Light (solid axle/hollow kingpin)
Forged baseplate, blue bushing is Thunder Hollow Light (hollow kingpin/hollow axle).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1023 on: February 19, 2023, 03:21:59 PM »

All of this is correct but here’s a little more detail on the Lights vs Hollow Lights:

All examples are for polished

Forged baseplate, green or yellow bushing is Thunder Light (solid axle/hollow kingpin)
Forged baseplate, blue bushing is Thunder Hollow Light (hollow kingpin/hollow axle).

Nice - always good to have a bit more detail.

Just funny that a few people have been "I don't want green bushings, so can I have the blue bushings in these trucks?" or similar.

The other thing is it just looks wrong to me now to put silver washers and nuts on a normal team Thunder truck, but it also looks weird if there is a black nut on a silver hollow kingpin, so I can see why the forged hollow baseplate options are all full silver washers and nuts too.

Don't even get me started on the different colour metallic rebuild kit hardware options, but I know some people like shiny things so if that is your deal, no worries.

I would take black or silver any day over metallic red or blue washers and nuts.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1024 on: February 19, 2023, 04:16:59 PM »
Those rebuild kits are so damn ugly!

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #1025 on: February 19, 2023, 09:09:35 PM »
Just heard rumblings from inside DLX that they’re moving production to Mexico in a month or so.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 977
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1026 on: February 19, 2023, 10:23:12 PM »
Does anyone know if the 181’s are restocking anywhere soon?
fuck you bama

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1027 on: February 20, 2023, 04:26:37 AM »
Been on the thunders for a while now. Took a while to get used to the pop but just need to be a tad more aggressive, and its kinda nice how boring they are to turn as it helps me focus on trying tricks

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1028 on: February 20, 2023, 07:49:42 AM »
Been on the thunders for a while now. Took a while to get used to the pop but just need to be a tad more aggressive, and its kinda nice how boring they are to turn as it helps me focus on trying tricks

That's what I have to remind myself of when I'm tempted to try going back to Indy. Thunders just feel stable underfoot.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1029 on: February 20, 2023, 07:54:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's what I have to remind myself of when I'm tempted to try going back to Indy. Thunders just feel stable underfoot.

If it’s about landing stuff, thunder works really well for that

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1030 on: February 20, 2023, 08:08:57 AM »
Maybe this belongs in the unpopular opinion thread, but as long as a truck isn't tooooo tight or toooo loose it's just not that hard to get used to the turn and figure out how to carve with it. With Venture I lean a lot harder, Indy I use my ankles to adjust the turn more and skate a little more over the bolts, Thunders I try not to land too much in the pockets so I don't compress the truck too fast and wheelbite. Overall I think the Thunder turn is the most balanced for me and I like skating them faster more than other trucks.

If DLX is moving Thunder to Mexico that must mean Ermico is dead or having problems. Considering the hate Indy got for moving overseas I doubt they would do so unless necessary. Hopefully the T2 drop sometime ever.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1031 on: February 20, 2023, 08:30:43 AM »
Maybe this belongs in the unpopular opinion thread, but as long as a truck isn't tooooo tight or toooo loose it's just not that hard to get used to the turn and figure out how to carve with it. With Venture I lean a lot harder, Indy I use my ankles to adjust the turn more and skate a little more over the bolts, Thunders I try not to land too much in the pockets so I don't compress the truck too fast and wheelbite. Overall I think the Thunder turn is the most balanced for me and I like skating them faster more than other trucks.

If DLX is moving Thunder to Mexico that must mean Ermico is dead or having problems. Considering the hate Indy got for moving overseas I doubt they would do so unless necessary. Hopefully the T2 drop sometime ever.

I agree on the turning/carving: can get used to most. Obvious exceptions: being pools and/or large wheels. I think there is a reason that my beloved 5.2 lo’s, or 147s, are not the pool weapon of choice.

What become most important to me are the pop characteristics.

I’m always bummed to hear about manufacturing moving away. For a lot of reasons.
The qc of indy certainly did not get worse. (The metal was arguably better in the past).

Richard Skidder

« Reply #1032 on: February 20, 2023, 10:08:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If it’s about landing stuff, thunder works really well for that

All of these statements resonate as they echo my experience with Thunder.

joaqp

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1033 on: February 20, 2023, 01:57:04 PM »
Has anyone tried venture bushings in their thunders? I prefer my trucks to be tight but responsive/rebound.

I’ve tried the 95a replacement thunder bushing kit and they were too stiff.
I recently got a set of 94a thunder bushings which feel like a good tightness but are too mushy and don’t rebound.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1034 on: February 20, 2023, 02:44:52 PM »
Has anyone tried venture bushings in their thunders? I prefer my trucks to be tight but responsive/rebound.

I’ve tried the 95a replacement thunder bushing kit and they were too stiff.
I recently got a set of 94a thunder bushings which feel like a good tightness but are too mushy and don’t rebound.

That's always been my gripe with thunder bushings mushy/no rebound. You can get some Venom conicals and shave them down, the urethane is lightyears beyond what DLX uses (and chances are the Venture bushings are the same thane).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1035 on: February 20, 2023, 03:27:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m always bummed to hear about manufacturing moving away. For a lot of reasons.
The qc of indy certainly did not get worse. (The metal was arguably better in the past).

I wonder if moving production to Mexico is considered better business practice compared to moving production to China, so would get way less push back from the masses, but the reality is making ends meet with production in USA or other top teir countries is way harder than doing it somewhere else and shipping the product back to the US.

Not a worry to me either way, but I feel like more people would support DLX in that move than the NHS to China move.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1036 on: February 20, 2023, 03:49:47 PM »
I assume they are moving Ventures too.....maybe there's hope they re-allign the alloy....I swear it's different...

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1037 on: February 20, 2023, 03:56:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah, I feel way more confident on thunders until it comes to carving a bowl or slappies.  Straight away locking into grinds on transition better, ollies are straighter and crisper, i'm really enjoying them.  I've still got a football Heroin old dude set up with Aces for that shit.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1038 on: February 20, 2023, 04:12:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I wonder if moving production to Mexico is considered better business practice compared to moving production to China,

As most big brand decks are made there for sure less whining compared to if they moved to china.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 61
« Reply #1039 on: February 20, 2023, 07:37:15 PM »

No I agree, I have a pair of Krux that carve as good as my Indys. The whole, "This truck doesn't turn" thing is BS IMHO. Just gotta tune each one differently and get used to them. Like you see Nora carving around in bowls on her Krux. It's more about the rider than anything. Any pro level stuff is good enough, just gotta be willing to get use to all the nuances of each brand.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1040 on: February 20, 2023, 07:51:03 PM »
I assume they are moving Ventures too.....maybe there's hope they re-allign the alloy....I swear it's different...

Because it is different. Has to be. They’ve never been the best grind for me, but now they wear down faster. Imo.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1041 on: February 20, 2023, 08:45:19 PM »
Mexico is a NAFTA country, China is not.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1042 on: February 20, 2023, 10:19:01 PM »
Maybe if they move there will be a re-issues?  No one is pounding their fist on the table, but you’d be surprised how quickly hype can build….Skulls? Lizards? Daggers?

troy

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1043 on: February 20, 2023, 10:35:36 PM »
im running the venture loose truck bushings and a flat bottom washer and its dope!

Micki Free

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1044 on: February 21, 2023, 06:27:01 AM »
Speaking of bushings, got some thunder team hollows with the blue baseplate/bolt logo. The bushings are dark blue and feel pretty hard, if i remember correctly they were 99du.

Id hate to order replacements and would rather just go to a shop but the shops near my only carry indy/bones, which i think are different sizes? Any idea if any of these will fit without changing the geometry too much? I ride a medium-loose truck so would like something more in the 90-92 du range i think.

CBP

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #1045 on: February 21, 2023, 06:42:37 AM »
Speaking of bushings, got some thunder team hollows with the blue baseplate/bolt logo. The bushings are dark blue and feel pretty hard, if i remember correctly they were 99du.

Id hate to order replacements and would rather just go to a shop but the shops near my only carry indy/bones, which i think are different sizes? Any idea if any of these will fit without changing the geometry too much? I ride a medium-loose truck so would like something more in the 90-92 du range i think.

Indy aftermarket’s are good if you use the washers that come with them. Just don’t get the red bushings and they’ll work fine.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1046 on: February 21, 2023, 06:55:07 AM »

All Thunders come with 90A bushings, no matter what color they are. They do sell a pack of 100A aftermarket blue bushings, but those would never come stock.

IpathCats

« Reply #1047 on: February 21, 2023, 07:07:09 AM »
i skated an 8.62 dlx with a 14.75 wb, forged thunders and risers over the weekend. felt really nice doing tricks on it, especially for the overall size of the setup i was quite surprised.

Still wasnt a huge fan of the turn, but kickflips and tres felt great.

that is all.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1048 on: February 21, 2023, 07:13:37 AM »
i skated an 8.62 dlx with a 14.75 wb, forged thunders and risers over the weekend. felt really nice doing tricks on it, especially for the overall size of the setup i was quite surprised.

that is all.

The homies board? I fucking love/hate this scenario. Dude shows up to the spot on something interesting, sees me doing some weird perverted eye fucking of the thing, pushes it over in my direction. Try to play it cool as the heart beat rises. Pop a lil nollie, oh that worked better than I thought, I’ll just brick a kickflip real quick, nope bolts. Get some type of verbal confirmation that it was working for me. Grab my board, fall trying to to take a push.
The last time this shit happened a guy had a new deal Siamese twin with thunders that I proceeded to nollie flip on, repeatedly, got back on my board and primo’d…a nollie. Which was a totally new way to fuck up. I’d previously been enjoying the shit out of my complete and landing some of the best kickflips of the last few years. Then I hated it.

IpathCats

« Reply #1049 on: February 21, 2023, 07:18:43 AM »
Expand Quote

that is all.
[close]

The homies board? I fucking love/hate this scenario. Dude shows up to the spot on something interesting, sees me doing some weird perverted eye fucking of the thing, pushes it over in my direction. Try to play it cool as the heart beat rises. Pop a lil nollie, oh that worked better than I thought, I’ll just brick a kickflip real quick, nope bolts. Get some type of verbal confirmation that it was working for me. Grab my board, fall trying to to take a push.
The last time this shit happened a guy had a new deal Siamese twin with thunders that I proceeded to nollie flip on, repeatedly, got back on my board and primo’d…a nollie. Which was a totally new way to fuck up. I’d previously been enjoying the shit out of my complete and landing some of the best kickflips of the last few years. Then I hated it.

yea, lol. you summed that up perfectly hahaha. This is the type of shit that will ignite the madness. If i only skated flatground i would consider setting up something similar.