Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 126550 times)

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1080 on: March 07, 2023, 07:09:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Speaking of bushings, got some thunder team hollows with the blue baseplate/bolt logo. The bushings are dark blue and feel pretty hard, if i remember correctly they were 99du.

Id hate to order replacements and would rather just go to a shop but the shops near my only carry indy/bones, which i think are different sizes? Any idea if any of these will fit without changing the geometry too much? I ride a medium-loose truck so would like something more in the 90-92 du range i think.
[close]

All Thunders come with 90A bushings, no matter what color they are. They do sell a pack of 100A aftermarket blue bushings, but those would never come stock.
[close]

Gotcha. On CCS they said 99u, and some other models also say this so thats where I got that info. But maybe its just a typo.
[close]

Yeah, that seems odd. My gut says it’s just your average “skate retailer not bothering to get their product info correct” situation, but who knows.

Have you ridden them yet to see if they’re actually that hard? Of the big four, DLX bushings do seem to be more prone to firming up due to cold weather/sitting on a warehouse shelf for too long.
[close]

Yea Ive seen that in the past on other websites too. Probably just being lazy.

As far as hardness goes your totally right about them being hard in cold weather. Ive only skated this pair for a week or so and they do feel a little harder than others ones ive had on the past, but maybe they just need some more break in time. We’ll see in a couple weeks I guess.
[close]

I’ve been skating 149 Team Standards and the bushings get so stiff below 45 degrees I basically can’t ride them anymore. Tic tac city. Had to break out my old setup with Ventures.

Never had that problem to the same extent on any other truck.
[close]

I recall you as one of the very few that claimed venture before the current wave.

Haha! Yeah, I definitely didn’t see as many Venture riders back then - especially the 5.2 Highs. The last time I bought a set the shop gave me a discount because they’d been sitting around so long.

Going back to Venture from Thunder is weird. I ghost pop way more on Ventures, manual balance is less forgiving on Ventures, and the turn is a little slower but probably deeper on Venture Highs.

Going back to an 8” setup from 8.5” is strange too. Board feels tiny. I don’t like losing all that truck real estate for grinds on street but everything feels more easily centered and comfortable for transition lip tricks. Flips easier. Everything happens at a faster tempo. Time to try 8.25 again…

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1081 on: March 09, 2023, 02:18:37 AM »
Anyone else using independent bushings? Few weeks ago I tried to ride thunders again and changed to worn in independent bushings because the stock ones were unrideable due to freezing. With 1/8 riser I get good turn, stable center and overall very lively feeling. Cured my gear madness for almost 2 months now

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1082 on: March 10, 2023, 06:32:37 AM »
Do Thunder 147s perform much differently than the wider, taller sizes. I have read that the 147s tend to feel a bit tighter than the wider sizes. I’m not necessarily looking for a tighter feeling truck but just curious how much different they are. I know that the standard 147 is lower than the wider sizes but being on forged 148 I don’t see the height being much different. Are these a completely different truck from what I’m used to or basically the same?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1083 on: March 10, 2023, 07:32:46 AM »
Do Thunder 147s perform much differently than the wider, taller sizes. I have read that the 147s tend to feel a bit tighter than the wider sizes. I’m not necessarily looking for a tighter feeling truck but just curious how much different they are. I know that the standard 147 is lower than the wider sizes but being on forged 148 I don’t see the height being much different. Are these a completely different truck from what I’m used to or basically the same?

147s, and down, are different. They are shorter, and the difference is noticeable.
Ishod, Wade, Shane, Nyjah, etc, all on the 147s.
Imo the max wheel size is a 52.
They have less kp clearance than the larger sizes.
I have forged 148s, and they are significantly different, to me.
I am a fan. The pop is great. Maybe my favorite truck? I get bummed on the small wheels, and they are not as ‘fun’ cruising around as an ace or something like that, but yeah, kind of their own thing. Closest truck imo would be a 5.2 venture lo

Richard Skidder

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1084 on: March 10, 2023, 08:16:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

147s, and down, are different. They are shorter, and the difference is noticeable.
Ishod, Wade, Shane, Nyjah, etc, all on the 147s.
Imo the max wheel size is a 52.
They have less kp clearance than the larger sizes.
I have forged 148s, and they are significantly different, to me.
I am a fan. The pop is great. Maybe my favorite truck? I get bummed on the small wheels, and they are not as ‘fun’ cruising around as an ace or something like that, but yeah, kind of their own thing. Closest truck imo would be a 5.2 venture lo

Thanks for the info. Looks like I’m gonna stick with my 148s then. On a 8.125 my truck size could go either way but I’m happy with the overall turn and grind clearance with what I’m riding. I’m still open to hear other’s experiences because I know a few folks swear by the 147s though.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #1085 on: March 10, 2023, 09:01:54 AM »

Going from forged 148 to team 147: Other than height(1mm), width(6mm) and kingpin clearance(2mm) it's the exact same truck and feels the same.
Those 2mm kingpin clearance are noticeably if you do a lot of smith grinds, but obviously it still works fine

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #1086 on: March 10, 2023, 11:26:33 AM »
What's the best thunder truck set up for skating strictly transition? I am currently skating Indy 149s but I want to buy an American made truck. Ventures apparently suck for transition and I think they are the only other American made option so I'm going to try out thunder.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1087 on: March 10, 2023, 11:42:31 AM »
What's the best thunder truck set up for skating strictly transition? I am currently skating Indy 149s but I want to buy an American made truck. Ventures apparently suck for transition and I think they are the only other American made option so I'm going to try out thunder.

Only (parts of) the standards are made in USA as far as I know. So just the regular team edition, cheapest ones. Might wanna use 1/8" riser pads to get them to the indy height you're used to

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1088 on: March 10, 2023, 12:36:20 PM »

Get ventures imo.
I mainly skate thunders and ventures, but I’m fairly nuts and will try anything and then bother people on here about it.
I like that thunder and venture are USA made (regular cast versions). I’ll continue to buy them when they are North America made.
I also really like the characteristics of the trucks.

For transitions: get some 5.8 highs, loose bushing kit, and/or bones bushings, flat top washer, and you’ll be good.
Imo thunders have a quick shallow turn. Some folks use them for halfpipes and that totally makes sense, but if I was trying to carve (I don’t) I’d get the venture HI’s and start tweaking them to be real loose.
The flat top washer means that the venture won’t bind, washer to hanger, as it does with the stock setup. In a way it’s a feature…
Hope that helps

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1089 on: March 10, 2023, 12:39:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Going from forged 148 to team 147: Other than height(1mm), width(6mm) and kingpin clearance(2mm) it's the exact same truck and feels the same.
Those 2mm kingpin clearance are noticeably if you do a lot of smith grinds, but obviously it still works fine

Hmmm. I guess I am that particular. 147s feel different, undoubtedly, to 148s, for me.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #1090 on: March 10, 2023, 12:41:04 PM »

151 Teams work great in all kinds of transition. I haven't tried them but I bet the 161s are good also. Little higher so maybe a deeper turn.

As mentioned 1/8" risers really help a Thunder turn in bowls.

I would not mess with Venture in bowls. The turn is too delayed, which is great for setting up flip tricks but not good for navigating a tight shallow end.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #1091 on: March 10, 2023, 12:45:48 PM »

I primarily skate transition on Thunder 149s and it's always worked well for me.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1092 on: March 10, 2023, 12:52:28 PM »
I think skating ventures loose-ish isn’t the worst transition truck either….it’s nice and stable, predictable.  Maybe not the best grind on some skatepark coping. 

Thunder is a good choice as well, gives you a bit of turn but then chills….

If you want to turn….Ace…no comparison

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1093 on: March 13, 2023, 06:12:36 AM »
Any tips on making thunders less twitchy?

Richard Skidder

« Reply #1094 on: March 13, 2023, 06:48:18 AM »
Any tips on making thunders less twitchy?

Cylinder bottom bushing, firmer top bushing with a standard washer should do the trick.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1095 on: March 13, 2023, 01:44:18 PM »
i was about to order some ventures online then skated the next day - my thunders worked sooo well and i did some nice long krooked grinds and 5-0's so im pretty set on thunder4life haha
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1096 on: March 20, 2023, 07:16:08 AM »
is there somewhere that lists the weights of the different trucks please?
is 367g accurate for 149 team?
ONTARIO CANADA

Richard Skidder

« Reply #1097 on: March 20, 2023, 12:23:37 PM »

I know that Tactics measurements can be off at times but I’ve noticed that their Thunder weight measurements are pretty close. Tactics has them around 363.5 grams.

Edited for grammar :D

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1098 on: March 20, 2023, 12:32:11 PM »

skatedeluxe.com has all the specs

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1099 on: March 22, 2023, 06:12:25 AM »
close enough, this is perfect, between the 2 i can find all my answers. thanks guys.
ONTARIO CANADA

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1100 on: March 23, 2023, 02:58:38 AM »
I intend to switch to 148! I rode 8.00 with 5.25 Venture for a long time, and now for a month I have been riding 8.125 with these Ventures. However, I want to be a little lower and maybe (i say maybe) switch to 8.25 (More insurance to catch up)

I skate a lot a lot of flatground, a few banks and small gaps! I would also like to work on the manuals! Which do you think is better, the standard Thunder 148 or the 148 Lights ?

Note that I am small (5.7), I am 8.00 in shoe size!

And I wouldn't try the 147s in case someone offered them to me! I have ridden with them before, I found them too light and uncontrollable, and also a stiff feeling!

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1101 on: March 23, 2023, 06:56:58 AM »
I have decided my next set of trucks will be Thunder 149s or possibly 148s to replace my Indy 144 titaniums. (leaning toward 149 since its for 8.5" board)

I decided I like the thick cast baseplates better than the forged ones. I am just going to feel the difference of the weights between the hollow vs. non hollow hangars when I get to the skate shop and see what I like better. Probably just going to go with the heavier ones though. 

If the Guy Mariano version is available which is a hollow hanger id possibly cop that, alternatively if the Franky or Chris Athans are available, I would be swayed that way too which are standard hangars.
ONTARIO CANADA

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #1102 on: March 24, 2023, 05:08:01 AM »
I intend to switch to 148! I rode 8.00 with 5.25 Venture for a long time, and now for a month I have been riding 8.125 with these Ventures. However, I want to be a little lower and maybe (i say maybe) switch to 8.25 (More insurance to catch up)

I skate a lot a lot of flatground, a few banks and small gaps! I would also like to work on the manuals! Which do you think is better, the standard Thunder 148 or the 148 Lights ?

And I wouldn't try the 147s in case someone offered them to me! I have ridden with them before, I found them too light and uncontrollable, and also a stiff feeling!

Alright, so i am your size and shoe size to start off.
I was on 8,125 board and 8 inch trucks/ thunder 147 teams (regular baseplate) for the last like 12 years, recently switched to 8.25 board and 148 team thunders. for me the change was that the 148s are like 2mm higher thatn the 147s. so you coming from a higher truck i would say get the Team Baseplate ones instead of the hollow/ forged ones. i always go with the regular ones/ thicker baseplate because less wheelbite!

i really liked the change to the 8,25 board and trucks since it was a small step up but brought me stabiltiy since the wheels are less inward than on the 8,125 boar/8 truck combo!

since i think of thunders as a light truck overall i did not feel my board being heavier, i also feel like them hollow shits feel flimsy sometimes, nbut that's just me, so take that as you will.....

hope that helps

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1103 on: March 25, 2023, 01:44:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Alright, so i am your size and shoe size to start off.
I was on 8,125 board and 8 inch trucks/ thunder 147 teams (regular baseplate) for the last like 12 years, recently switched to 8.25 board and 148 team thunders. for me the change was that the 148s are like 2mm higher thatn the 147s. so you coming from a higher truck i would say get the Team Baseplate ones instead of the hollow/ forged ones. i always go with the regular ones/ thicker baseplate because less wheelbite!

i really liked the change to the 8,25 board and trucks since it was a small step up but brought me stabiltiy since the wheels are less inward than on the 8,125 boar/8 truck combo!

since i think of thunders as a light truck overall i did not feel my board being heavier, i also feel like them hollow shits feel flimsy sometimes, nbut that's just me, so take that as you will.....

hope that helps

Thank you for that answer ! Indeed this will be a change for me because I have never riding more than 139 trucks! But I would like to have a lot more stability and room to land on my board, especially since at the moment I moved to another city and I live 5 minutes from the skatepark, the weather is better, so I I will probably skate more often than usual (Before I had 40 minutes of roads and I skated once or twice a week), so I would like to try a lot of new things than flat (Manual in particular, ledge, Less scared to redo a few small gaps.. ..) !

And especially to be a little lower because I sometimes have trouble jumping with high ventures.. !

So I would go for the regular ones, I read a lot of reviews saying that for raw trucks, they are already very light and more responsive compared to other trucks !

Threadz

« Reply #1104 on: March 30, 2023, 02:32:06 AM »
I was just watching a Thunder Hollow Light truck review on YouTube and came across this comment:

"I’ve found the hollow axle is slower in comparison to the titanium axles. I believe the hollow allowed significant vibration, which in turn absorbed my momentum. That’s been my experience anyhow. I prefer the solid axle LIGHTS over the hollows."

It's been too long since I've skated solid axels myself, so I'm wondering if there's any merit to this? Or if anybody else has had a similar experience?

IpathCats

« Reply #1105 on: March 30, 2023, 05:26:55 AM »
I was just watching a Thunder Hollow Light truck review on YouTube and came across this comment:

"I’ve found the hollow axle is slower in comparison to the titanium axles. I believe the hollow allowed significant vibration, which in turn absorbed my momentum. That’s been my experience anyhow. I prefer the solid axle LIGHTS over the hollows."

It's been too long since I've skated solid axels myself, so I'm wondering if there's any merit to this? Or if anybody else has had a similar experience?

Heavier objects are harder to stop once they are in motion.

Idk about the hollow parts vibrating more and the effects on speed that would have.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #1106 on: March 30, 2023, 06:01:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Heavier objects are harder to stop once they are in motion.

Idk about the hollow parts vibrating more and the effects on speed that would have.

I think this is theoritically true, but in practice there are so many factors that have more impact on your momentum than the hollow parts. I'm pretty positive that having your phone or keys in your pockets, or what you had for lunch has a stronger impact on your skating than the difference of vibration in your axles.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1107 on: March 30, 2023, 11:00:04 AM »
actually thought it through and i dont really see why i want 8.5" trucks when i already have 2 sets of 8.75" trucks. doesnt really make sense because all i can really ride is 8.5" and 8.6" on a 149 (i dont plan on getting any 8.6's and its also not a popular size) i have 2 sets of trucks for big boards already.

if i buy 148s instead, i can use 8.25", 8.38", and 8.5" boards , which are all pretty popular sizes right now. I like the way that 148s turn too, i think its pretty good in between of turny and tight. as much as i want to have a 149 truck to complete the set, it just doesnt seem practical. i think when my indy 159s are completely unskateable i might consider replacing them with 149s. then i can put my 8.75" board on 149s which seems like it would be pretty sick.
ONTARIO CANADA

IpathCats

« Reply #1108 on: March 30, 2023, 11:02:06 AM »
actually thought it through and i dont really see why i want 8.5" trucks when i already have 2 sets of 8.75" trucks. doesnt really make sense because all i can really ride is 8.5" and 8.6" on a 149 (i dont plan on getting any 8.6's and its also not a popular size) i have 2 sets of trucks for big boards already.

if i buy 148s instead, i can use 8.25", 8.38", and 8.5" boards , which are all pretty popular sizes right now. I like the way that 148s turn too, i think its pretty good in between of turny and tight. as much as i want to have a 149 truck to complete the set, it just doesnt seem practical. i think when my indy 159s are completely unskateable i might consider replacing them with 149s. then i can put my 8.75" board on 149s which seems like it would be pretty sick.

I ride 149s on 8.3

plenty of people ride 149s on 8.25 too.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1109 on: March 30, 2023, 11:11:40 AM »
i am somewhat hot rod curious... maybe afraid to admit it though
ONTARIO CANADA