Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 133754 times)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1920 on: March 25, 2024, 01:08:56 PM »
The rumor is that they couldn’t source enough axles

Elton has one to spare:
hardly art, hardly starving

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1921 on: March 25, 2024, 02:03:44 PM »
anybody have a favorite deck, for thunder 148s?

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 458
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1922 on: March 25, 2024, 03:12:56 PM »

DLX True Fit 8.125

skatebruh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #1923 on: March 25, 2024, 03:33:27 PM »
I have a Limo 8.25 which is working really well.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #1924 on: March 25, 2024, 04:33:44 PM »
dlx 8.28

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #1925 on: March 25, 2024, 09:19:59 PM »
I was going to stay Real True or some Crail board....

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1926 on: March 26, 2024, 12:30:41 AM »

DLX 8.5x31.8 slight magic carpet all day.
How much for an order of ribs?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1927 on: March 26, 2024, 03:42:31 AM »

Magenta 8.25 with the mellow concave
IG: @flowterspace

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1928 on: March 26, 2024, 09:32:38 AM »

I use primitive 8.38” x 14.18 wb (6.75”N / 7”T) on Thunder Team

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1929 on: March 26, 2024, 05:02:09 PM »

Anything 8.125-8.375 with a 14"-14.3"WB

BUT....you didn't specify forged or cast... ;0

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1930 on: March 26, 2024, 06:15:16 PM »
thank you everyone!!

yeah, 148 lights, forged plate/solid axle.
right now on a flat ish older 8.125 generic generator shop deck.
before that on the 8.5 ps shape with the 14.25 wb, that tapers significantly towards the tail.
for some reason i’m drawn to: the april 8.25, the 8.06 dlx, the 8.25 dlx with the 14.38 wb….should probably skate something shorter, like the 8.28 dlx.
maybe the madness has been with boards all along. i thought it was trucks. damn it

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1931 on: March 26, 2024, 07:46:22 PM »
thank you everyone!!

before that on the 8.5 ps shape with the 14.25 wb, that tapers significantly towards the tail.
for some reason i’m drawn to: the april 8.25, the 8.06 dlx, the 8.25 dlx with the 14.38 wb….should probably skate something shorter, like the 8.28 dlx.
maybe the madness has been with boards all along. i thought it was trucks. damn it

I love to hate that 8.28...something about the shape is just right but 'different' than say the other 8.25..it's like a tiny blue eagle - just that damn tiny WB ruins it every time I've skate one (I finally learned my lesson after three...but none on ventures... ;)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1932 on: March 26, 2024, 09:59:39 PM »
Expand Quote
thank you everyone!!

[close]

I love to hate that 8.28...something about the shape is just right but 'different' than say the other 8.25..it's like a tiny blue eagle - just that damn tiny WB ruins it every time I've skate one (I finally learned my lesson after three...but none on ventures... ;)

i had a doomsayers 8.28, and im not sure maybe it was a 14 wb….but that board was good enough that i think of it 6-7 years later. as an aside, i’ve had a few that were like that, unreasonably good: al davis headhunters pro model. ps stix, 8.125, super pointy/tapered, lasted forever. good the whole way. also had a b16 baker, and it was someone….i think it was dee ostrander , so not like ‘my guy’ or whatever, but the board was freakishly better. it had a sky blue main color, and then just baker, with his name all small. the weird part was their was this faint baker all over print. board felt noticeably lighter, to several folks, had great pop, lasted too long.
all 3 boards felt like maybe a pro’s board that had slipped thru to gen pop.

thunder 148s with an 8.25 is me trying to give up on setup bullshit.

and then that guy natas spin was sick
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 10:59:56 PM by Ok »

Daniel

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1933 on: March 27, 2024, 09:10:55 AM »
I made the thunder switch from Indy two weeks ago when I watched some Brad Cromer footage. I picked up a dlx 8.06 and a set of 147 teams. I remember growing up skating thunder 147s, so this feels right at home. I was skating Indy 139s with baker 8.0 decks. So far the 8.06 dimensions feel perfect for thunders. I’ll give the baker 8.0 a try soon…

Obijuan91

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1934 on: April 05, 2024, 05:29:44 PM »
Just got a second hand pair of thunder polished 149 for a 8.5. Two questions, is the wheelbase on them basically the same as an Indy forged? And secondly, would changing bushings out give them more of a Indy surfy turn? I don’t ride that loose but the turns like, boring. I got em on a 14.5 wb kinda just wanted this board to cruise around/transition lazy days. Thanks.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1935 on: April 05, 2024, 05:58:01 PM »
Just got a second hand pair of thunder polished 149 for a 8.5. Two questions, is the wheelbase on them basically the same as an Indy forged? And secondly, would changing bushings out give them more of a Indy surfy turn? I don’t ride that loose but the turns like, boring. I got em on a 14.5 wb kinda just wanted this board to cruise around/transition lazy days. Thanks.

i am sorry….i don’t like that ‘surfy’ talk.
i wouldn’t switch the thunder bushings, thunder just doesn’t seem like the best for you

i like the thunder pop, first and foremost, and the quick, almost violent turn, is fun, for me.

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1936 on: April 05, 2024, 06:29:52 PM »

Idk about wheelbase but I use ace low bushings and real wooden riser pads. Turns great

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #1937 on: April 06, 2024, 01:55:02 AM »
Thunders turn great with softer bushings (like Thunder 90a). Just not as (for lack of a better word) 'wobbly' as Indys or Aces. The turn is bit more delayed / controlled. Might get wheel bite sooner, but that is easily solved with riser pads and/or a deck with wheel wells.

southphillytapwater

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #1938 on: April 06, 2024, 06:10:06 AM »
Try replacing the top washer with a Bones flat washer. That will open the turn up a lot.

Obijuan91

« Reply #1939 on: April 06, 2024, 04:04:45 PM »
Thanks for the input to everyone, didn’t mean to offend anyone either. I’ll try the flat top washer and if that doesn’t work I got some pig bushings ima throw on em and see how they work. I probably did buy the wrong trucks for what I wanted the board to be tho quite honestly.

Dad Board

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1940 on: April 07, 2024, 07:19:52 AM »
Trying to ID these tiny thunders I’ve had in my storage. They may either be from around 2007 or 2017. Still says “made in USA” under the baseplate.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1941 on: April 07, 2024, 08:45:42 AM »
Trying to ID these tiny thunders I’ve had in my storage. They may either be from around 2007 or 2017. Still says “made in USA” under the baseplate.

I'd say these are closer to 2007 than 2017 for sure.

Standard thunders.

LeDave

• Rep: -17
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #1942 on: April 09, 2024, 04:10:23 PM »
Recent convert from independent to Thunder. Just tried out the new setup today. Ummmmmm. Holy crap! The difference is like riding from the depths of hell onto the clouds of heaven. I’m using independent hard (black) cylindrical bushings on the Thunder Sonora and the response is so rapid and smooth compared to the Independent medium/hard (blue) cylindrical bushings on the Independent Stage 11 before. Wow!

Dad Board

« Reply #1943 on: April 09, 2024, 04:41:16 PM »
Recent convert from independent to Thunder. Just tried out the new setup today. Ummmmmm. Holy crap! The difference is like riding from the depths of hell onto the clouds of heaven. I’m using independent hard (black) cylindrical bushings on the Thunder Sonora and the response is so rapid and smooth compared to the Independent medium/hard (blue) cylindrical bushings on the Independent Stage 11 before. Wow!

Just a friendly heads up, if you’re new to skateboarding and unfamiliar with the way different trucks behave it may be best for you to just leave the stock bushings in, or at the very least order different duro bushings from the same manufacturer instead of Frankensteining Indy bushings into thunders. They have thunder bushing kits in various hardness for about $10.  It fucks with the geometry when you start swapping bushings around especially if they’re not the same height/shape and over time could lead to some wonky geometry that will be affecting you without you noticing it.

Obijuan91

« Reply #1944 on: April 09, 2024, 05:58:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just a friendly heads up, if you’re new to skateboarding and unfamiliar with the way different trucks behave it may be best for you to just leave the stock bushings in, or at the very least order different duro bushings from the same manufacturer instead of Frankensteining Indy bushings into thunders. They have thunder bushing kits in various hardness for about $10.  It fucks with the geometry when you start swapping bushings around especially if they’re not the same height/shape and over time could lead to some wonky geometry that will be affecting you without you noticing it.

Will pig bushings mess up geometry?

Dad Board

« Reply #1945 on: April 09, 2024, 06:31:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have no idea but you should measure the height of whatever bushings you’re replacing and also be aware of the shape e.g conical vs cylinder. Bushings are arguably one of the most key components on a skateboard and can really fuck your game up if you’re not careful

Meathook

• Rep: 73
« Reply #1946 on: April 09, 2024, 07:22:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have no idea but you should measure the height of whatever bushings you’re replacing and also be aware of the shape e.g conical vs cylinder. Bushings are arguably one of the most key components on a skateboard and can really fuck your game up if you’re not careful

Indy bushings work in thunders.  The Indy top bushing is the slightest bit taller than the Thunder but it does work.  No idea about pig bushings.

LeDave

« Reply #1947 on: April 10, 2024, 06:08:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Good to know. Thanks.

Gleefull508

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1948 on: April 10, 2024, 06:26:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Good to know. Thanks.

Like that guy said bushings are delicate. I would just keep the stock bushings in the truck and not mess with it. Unless you have a real reason you want to change the bushings like for example you are really good and love super loose trucks or really stiff trucks I wouldn't mess with them. Changing them just for the sake of changing htem is pointless and just gonna mess you up especially if you are a beginner

LeDave

« Reply #1949 on: April 10, 2024, 06:31:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Good to know. Thanks.
[close]

Like that guy said bushings are delicate. I would just keep the stock bushings in the truck and not mess with it. Unless you have a real reason you want to change the bushings like for example you are really good and love super loose trucks or really stiff trucks I wouldn't mess with them. Changing them just for the sake of changing htem is pointless and just gonna mess you up especially if you are a beginner

I gave my stock bushings away when I first got the trucks. Now I don’t want to be rude and ask it back. I’ll just buy the bushings again.  :(