Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 134561 times)

CarcassToss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 23
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1980 on: April 12, 2024, 10:06:52 PM »
Maybe they’ll just offer one since almost everybody else does right?

The bigger concern is whether they completely replace the current lineup or add this new version as an adjacent option much like ace classics and AF1s

According to my shop source that had the testers it's not replacing the standards and will be a second model.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1981 on: April 13, 2024, 02:58:26 AM »

The bigger concern is whether they completely replace the current lineup or add this new version as an adjacent option much like ace classics and AF1s

I think there are too many people who like the Thunder as is, so as you said, like Ace with the Classic and AF1, they have the original truck and the new T2 version so people have a choice with what they want.

For any other person wanting to try the new ones, I think they would be selling a lot of them soon enough, but I am guessing they have settled on this design now if so many people have them here and there.

An inverted kingpin can always be added, as per the current Thunder baseplate with the hex area in the underside of the baseplate, which was very interesting to see when they changed to that one a while back now.

Quite a few people have changed to the inverted option since they did that, so maybe the new truck will also have the same option - you can change it if you want to.

I guess though, that is all a wait and see type of thing.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #1982 on: April 13, 2024, 06:27:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

According to my shop source that had the testers it's not replacing the standards and will be a second model.
!!!!
I wonder what the height would be on 147 forged.

Dmng

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1983 on: April 13, 2024, 03:09:06 PM »
I’ve swapped my aces af1 to thunder hollow light 149 today.
I was worried I was stupidly buying even though the main concern was me being terrible. Turns out I’m still terrible but I actually feel much better, and most of the tricks feel a bit easier and safer. The only thing is grinding on a box is a bit harder, I guess because the trucks feel tighter which makes it less « flexible »

I do miss the nice turn feeling of the aces but the precision (in terms of placement with obstacles / aiming  but also the trucks go back to the center more easily) makes it a no brainer for me. I guess aces are super good for more advanced skaters but at my level… maybe not yet !
I hope the stocks bushings (90d apparently ?) will soften a bit with time but I’m soooo happy about this first session. Sorry for another noob post !

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #1984 on: April 13, 2024, 07:27:08 PM »
I've been flip flopping a bit more between Thunder 151s and Ace AF1 60s recently, and I have to say the thought of some potential middle ground with these "T2s" is getting me pretty damn excited. Good chance, they will be a bit more like existing Thunders than current Aces but still, that will be just fine with me.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1985 on: April 13, 2024, 08:51:11 PM »
I've been flip flopping a bit more between Thunder 151s and Ace AF1 60s recently, and I have to say the thought of some potential middle ground with these "T2s" is getting me pretty damn excited. Good chance, they will be a bit more like existing Thunders than current Aces but still, that will be just fine with me.

i really enjoyed my 151s (lights). got em when i was huffin.
also enjoyed them on an 8.38 (i’ve enjoyed this combo with indy, venture, and thunder).
ended up giving them to a coworker that had a wack setup. but then i missed them.

Dmng

« Reply #1986 on: April 14, 2024, 03:11:33 PM »
Do blue transparent bushings (90duro) loosen up with time ? I skated them like 3 or 4 hours, setup stock on the trucks (flush kingpin) but I find them being a bit stiff and have to tic tac quite a bit.
Should I just wait or slightly unscrew (1/8th or 1/4th turn?) the kingpin ?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1987 on: April 14, 2024, 03:29:07 PM »
Do blue transparent bushings (90duro) loosen up with time ? I skated them like 3 or 4 hours, setup stock on the trucks (flush kingpin) but I find them being a bit stiff and have to tic tac quite a bit.
Should I just wait or slightly unscrew (1/8th or 1/4th turn?) the kingpin ?

I think any bushings go through a cycle, often at first with a bit of weight on them, they might be squishy, then break in and have more rebound before ending up somewhat compressed and feeling a little more loose as they age.

That said though, for a lighter body, they can feel quite stiff, so really need you or someone heavier to stand on a board and just lean heel toe heel toe heel toe or even stand on it both feet sideways over one truck then the other (toes facing the nose / tail) and have a little workout almost like walking on the spot with your feet not leaving the ground, left right left right, etc so you get those bushings working and soften them up.  Sometimes doing this on carpet, hold a table or something too.

If that doesn't make sense, I can post a pic, but that is the most common way to wear in new bushings nicely if just skating doesn't do the trick for you.

Dmng

« Reply #1988 on: April 15, 2024, 06:00:44 AM »
Thanks Mbrimson88 for all the quality infos !

I’ll try to break them in with your method on top of skating them !

I was thinking about sanding slightly the top bushing off in the future but I used them for only a few hours yet so it might just work better with your solution. I’m not heavy but not lightweight being 70kg for 180cm

Will keep you posted ! I’m glad I changed from af1 to thunder which really help me feeling more stable

« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 01:50:16 PM by Dmng »

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 462
« Reply #1989 on: April 15, 2024, 04:21:06 PM »
In regards to getting Thunders to turn more fluid, and I don’t want to sound like a broken record here, adding wax to the pivot goes a long way toward opening up the turning radius.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1990 on: April 15, 2024, 04:53:02 PM »
In regards to getting Thunders to turn more fluid, and I don’t want to sound like a broken record here, adding wax to the pivot goes a long way toward opening up the turning radius.

That doesn't change the turning radius but it def does help loosen things up and its a great tip.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1991 on: April 15, 2024, 05:50:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That doesn't change the turning radius but it def does help loosen things up and its a great tip.

before the 2018/19 venture change up, some of the real ones in the greater surrounding area were on thunder 149s, with risers, with the intent of larger wheels, and a different turn.
one of my fave characteristics of thunders is the lower height/pop angle, so i did not try this.

unrelated: i can put the cast baseplate from some team 149s, onto some 147 hollow lights (and vice versa), correct? something about the kp angle looks different.
the 147 hollow lights are low, im heavier and less skilled than ever, and the ground where i am is rough.
i love the way 147s look.
some of my fave skate shit has happened on them (or what i think is 147s), from herman and Ellington, to antwuan, wade,nate jones, huf, quim, mj, some gino moments, gerwer,  pete eldridge, busenitz, lucas, ishod….147s have some heavy hitters behind them: shane, ishod, nyjah.
none of that is happening when i get on them, and 52s seem like the max wheel size.
once upon a time i mentioned in an indy thread that none of my top 5 were indy riders, and a poster that left, unfortunately, chided me, starting to list all of the great indy dudes. no doubt. but that’s not MY top 5**

my top 5 changes, and when larry was larry, it was on indy’s, more or less. stevie had some great footage on indy’s too. but

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1992 on: April 15, 2024, 06:36:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

before the 2018/19 venture change up, some of the real ones in the greater surrounding area were on thunder 149s, with risers, with the intent of larger wheels, and a different turn.
one of my fave characteristics of thunders is the lower height/pop angle, so i did not try this.

unrelated: i can put the cast baseplate from some team 149s, onto some 147 hollow lights (and vice versa), correct? something about the kp angle looks different.
the 147 hollow lights are low, im heavier and less skilled than ever, and the ground where i am is rough.
i love the way 147s look.
some of my fave skate shit has happened on them (or what i think is 147s), from herman and Ellington, to antwuan, wade,nate jones, huf, quim, mj, some gino moments, gerwer,  pete eldridge, busenitz, lucas, ishod….147s have some heavy hitters behind them: shane, ishod, nyjah.
none of that is happening when i get on them, and 52s seem like the max wheel size.
once upon a time i mentioned in an indy thread that none of my top 5 were indy riders, and a poster that left, unfortunately, chided me, starting to list all of the great indy dudes. no doubt. but that’s not MY top 5**

my top 5 changes, and when larry was larry, it was on indy’s, more or less. stevie had some great footage on indy’s too. but

yup i've personally never had any issues swapping baseplates between 147s and larger sizes. you should be fine

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1993 on: April 16, 2024, 06:38:33 AM »
so we are having Spitfires for team members who wanted to ride dragons and now we are getting Thunders for team members who want to ride Indys  ;D  They are on top of things at DLX lately! if you cant join em, beat em!

Dmng

« Reply #1994 on: April 16, 2024, 08:42:59 AM »

Thanks for the info ! You put wax shavings inside ?
I’ll try it if it doesn’t unlock progressively :)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1995 on: April 16, 2024, 08:51:37 AM »
I’m not really nuts about thunder’s pivot cups either….maybe an upgrade may make them turn smoother..

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1996 on: April 16, 2024, 08:52:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

best to wax the actual pivot in my experience. it doesn't last but it will aid the break in period.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 10:03:46 AM by Frank and Fred »

CarcassToss

« Reply #1997 on: April 16, 2024, 09:20:01 AM »
use lithium grease. It lasts and works better than wax. Top and bottom of the bushings too.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 462
« Reply #1998 on: April 16, 2024, 09:32:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

best to tax the actual pivot in my experience. it doesn't last but it will aid the break in period.

I do both. A fresh blade and some curb candy. Shave as much as you want into the pivot cups, any excess will work its way out. Then I heat up the corner of the curb candy with a lighter and coat the pivot stems. It only takes one session to get it worked in and the excess worked out. Lasts me a good while.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1999 on: April 19, 2024, 04:30:51 PM »
I’m not really nuts about thunder’s pivot cups either….maybe an upgrade may make them turn smoother..

DLX cups are just straight hard plastic that aren't even trimmed (vents seem to be worse in this regard), just like the old indys, for sure the lowest grade out there, hell even Royal / krux ship with quality cups (ACE and Indy too these days, 'hand poured' etc..)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2000 on: April 19, 2024, 07:02:33 PM »
I hope it feels like the old thunders.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2001 on: April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM »
I hope it feels like the old thunders.

Which ones? Old, OLD thunders or the super low ones from 12 years or so ago (the 149ers).

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2002 on: April 19, 2024, 07:57:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

DLX cups are just straight hard plastic that aren't even trimmed (vents seem to be worse in this regard), just like the old indys, for sure the lowest grade out there, hell even Royal / krux ship with quality cups (ACE and Indy too these days, 'hand poured' etc..)

For sure.

All trucks have pros and cons, and personally the stock pivot cups are a def a con on thunders. Possibly the bushings too, but def the pivot cups.

Still great trucks though, not trying to hate. Find myself going back and forth between thunders and indys regularly.

CarcassToss

« Reply #2003 on: April 19, 2024, 08:12:45 PM »
I bought some Riptides a few years back for my Thunders and honestly preferred stock. I felt it made the turn mushier and not as snappy and have never blown a Thunder cup out. Venture neither. Both DLX trucks have the worst top washer bushing issues. My Venture washers bent around the nut at stock tightness and demolished the top bushings and DLX sent me replacements that have been great. First Venture tops that lasted. Hopefully Thunder gets whatever they're doing with that formula.

I tried to get more T2 details from the shop owner whose pair I saw, but he hasn't said a damn word more except that they're probably his new favorite modern truck.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #2004 on: April 19, 2024, 11:57:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I really hope so.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2005 on: April 20, 2024, 06:12:42 AM »
I bought some Riptides a few years back for my Thunders and honestly preferred stock. I felt it made the turn mushier and not as snappy and have never blown a Thunder cup out. Venture neither. Both DLX trucks have the worst top washer bushing issues. My Venture washers bent around the nut at stock tightness and demolished the top bushings and DLX sent me replacements that have been great. First Venture tops that lasted. Hopefully Thunder gets whatever they're doing with that formula.

I tried to get more T2 details from the shop owner whose pair I saw, but he hasn't said a damn word more except that they're probably his new favorite modern truck.

Yea, despite the cups visibly starting to go on my thunders, I was always hesitant to try the riptides because I liked how the trucks performed still.

The pivot cups were obviously getting blown out though in ways that didn't happen to me on other trucks.

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #2006 on: April 20, 2024, 10:57:37 AM »

Not my experience. I love Thunders with Riptides. Perform way better and the turn feels smoother. Way more durable as well. I destroy Thunder bushings and pivot cups doing slappys. It's actually ridiculous how quickly they blow out. Have yet to destroy Riptides. Best part, no more truck squeak too.

CarcassToss

« Reply #2007 on: April 20, 2024, 06:40:32 PM »
Any time I get new trucks or bushings I take them off and put lithium grease on the hanger, washers (where they touch the baseplate, and the pivot cup and never get squeaks. One of the best things I picked up lurking.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2008 on: April 20, 2024, 09:22:31 PM »

Through a round about way I came to see this post, not mine but interesting enough to see what the guy did and how it ended up.

He took the front extra piece down a bit as it was too much from this cover pic, but I can see and understand, as per a lot of other comments on here about how Thunder need to have a longer front to their baseplate.

The rest you can make up your own mind about, but worth reading and checking out anyway, hence posting here, originally posted a few weeks ago.

waxyp0ckets

Aluminum Welded Thunder Trucks Baseplate Extension & side Material reduction . Baseplate Extension piece made out of what was previously an aluminum “Skate Stopper” . Baseplate extension is to reduce the friction on your wheels when doing Slides , and to prevent as much sticking on the Ledge , having your wheels spaced out away from the ledge.
Last Photo in the slide shows the Final result , Ended up reducing the extension slightly to get a fine tuned balance of nose/tail to be sitting on the ledge along with the spacing out of the wheels to get the nice skid/slide capabilities of the baseplate, Final Result Worked out Nicely , has good Glide and is a lot of Fun!

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #2009 on: April 20, 2024, 11:59:31 PM »
That's doing it! But seriously, it's fun and good to see people modding their gear.

Related, but on another note: I once saw a cheap complete that had riser pads that would extend the front and cover the pivot cup like a slider Tensor's had.