Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 130883 times)

Musicaldeath107, Tre and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #480 on: May 23, 2022, 08:30:12 PM »
Thunder keeps hinting like they might.  I hope they don’t.  The clearance does suck but the Indy one looks beat.  Venture you don’t really need it.  By the time you hit your kingpin you’re a couple mm’s away from the axel. 

They don't offer much much clearance, if at all (indy) and only add weight and or increased drag.

I'm over it until someone gets the OG Krux hollow DL kingpin setup back in action (with a properly fitting top washer); they actually helped you with Smiths/feebles.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #481 on: May 23, 2022, 08:30:50 PM »
I think that is the style seen on the proto Thunders.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #482 on: May 23, 2022, 09:46:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Thunder keeps hinting like they might.  I hope they don’t.  The clearance does suck but the Indy one looks beat.  Venture you don’t really need it.  By the time you hit your kingpin you’re a couple mm’s away from the axel. 
[close]

They don't offer much much clearance, if at all (indy) and only add weight and or increased drag.

I'm over it until someone gets the OG Krux hollow DL kingpin setup back in action (with a properly fitting top washer); they actually helped you with Smiths/feebles.

do you have a picture to compare the non OG versions to by chance? i'm not too familiar and i feel like i wouldn't figure it out on my own on google searches

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #483 on: May 23, 2022, 09:58:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

do you have a picture to compare the non OG versions to by chance? i'm not too familiar and i feel like i wouldn't figure it out on my own on google searches

https://www.google.com/search?q=krux+downlow+kingpin&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiG-9bhrPf3AhVUADQIHWikDk8Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=krux+downlow+kingpin&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQDFAAWABgAGgAcAB4AIABAIgBAJIBAJgBAKoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1n&sclient=img&ei=ymWMYobuINSA0PEP6Mi6-AQ&bih=569&biw=1280&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS852US852

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #484 on: May 23, 2022, 11:30:03 PM »
Someone posted a good equivalent with a flat washer as well…..

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #485 on: May 31, 2022, 01:51:07 PM »
Got thunder hollows again.

I can’t nose and tailslide on them. Any advice?
Or do I need to get other trucks again?

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #486 on: May 31, 2022, 01:56:58 PM »

Put more weight on the nose/tail (or on the ledge) and try not to dip your board too much. Also, go faster! I had no idea how much the extended baseplate on Indy's (and other trucks) was a crutch until I tried BS tailslides on Thunders, you really gotta be sitting on your tail or else your wheels are gonna drag. You can power through it with enough speed and a good technique (again, really sitting on it) but yeah, that's probably the one thing a lot of people complain about with Thunders...

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #487 on: May 31, 2022, 02:04:58 PM »
Will try this, thanks. But not amused about going faster for slides now.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #488 on: May 31, 2022, 03:17:22 PM »

You'll get used to it. Took me awhile to get my noseslides feeling right but now I can get them sliding almost as far as I could on Ace/Indy. Can't speak for tailslides though.. I suck at those.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #489 on: May 31, 2022, 05:14:51 PM »

wax the shit out of the baseplate and the flat area before the kick
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Frank and Fred

« Reply #490 on: May 31, 2022, 05:20:16 PM »
Smaller harder wheels.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #491 on: May 31, 2022, 05:50:35 PM »
Adjust your technique. I don't have any issue but I stand on the tips more and lean back a bit more. Honestly it becomes way easier for me as there is less risk of slipping out.

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #492 on: May 31, 2022, 05:53:29 PM »
Agree with above, I feel like thunders are actually better for nose and tailslides because they force you into better form. I find myself wobbling around a bit with aces and ventures because of the baseplate and really prefer the locked in thunder slide.

switchfakie

« Reply #493 on: May 31, 2022, 08:43:15 PM »
can anybody explain to me the difference between Thunder: titanium lights, hollow, and the lights? they don't have any concrete numbers on their website explaining weight differences, so im lost asf

i just bought some 151 light 2's but now i don't know if i should return them or not bc they might not be light enough. im a short dude so i need the lightest truck possible bc i like skating wide boards with 54s

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #494 on: May 31, 2022, 10:10:17 PM »
can anybody explain to me the difference between Thunder: titanium lights, hollow, and the lights? they don't have any concrete numbers on their website explaining weight differences, so im lost asf

i just bought some 151 light 2's but now i don't know if i should return them or not bc they might not be light enough. im a short dude so i need the lightest truck possible bc i like skating wide boards with 54s
You'll be fine my dude, Thunders are light trucks as is so a light version of them should be just fine.

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #495 on: June 01, 2022, 01:02:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Titanium lights have a forged baseplate and a titanium axle, hollows have a forged baseplate, hollow kingpin und hollow axle, lights just have a hollow kingpin. There are also team hollows, which have a cast baseplate (1mm higher) and hollow kingpin und axle. Thunder standards have a cast baseplate and normal kingpin and axle.
Even those are still pretty light. About 360g for 149.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #496 on: June 01, 2022, 03:55:33 AM »

This site doesn't have specs for the 151s, but I know the owner and he is pretty much a stickler for measuring things.

According to him, the 149 high lights are 343 grams each. The 149 titanium highs are 309 grams each.

149 high lights - https://r-fskate.com/view/item/000000000394?category_page_id=thu_light

149 titanium highs - https://r-fskate.com/view/item/000000000396?category_page_id=thu_titanium

Hollow lights don't have a weight listed, but it's probably somewhere in the middle (~320 grams/each).

For reference, a single US Quarter coin weighs 5.67 grams.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 445
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #497 on: June 01, 2022, 05:42:17 AM »
I have found that a U.S. nickel weighs about 5 grams, so that makes it an even easier unit of measurement. Calculate the difference in grams per type ( team, hollow, hollow light, etc) multiply by two and divide the result by five. Count out that many nickels and decide if that’s enough of a weight difference for you. Helps with the madness some.

IpathCats

« Reply #498 on: June 01, 2022, 07:04:00 AM »
Agree with above, I feel like thunders are actually better for nose and tailslides because they force you into better form. I find myself wobbling around a bit with aces and ventures because of the baseplate and really prefer the locked in thunder slide.

I really hope i get to this point, my FS noseslides have suffered since switching to thunders, they're getting better, but it hurts my soul to struggle on a trick that is normally a staple for me. I love doing long fs noseslides <3

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #499 on: June 01, 2022, 07:16:58 AM »
I have found that a U.S. nickel weighs about 5 grams, so that makes it an even easier unit of measurement. Calculate the difference in grams per type ( team, hollow, hollow light, etc) multiply by two and divide the result by five. Count out that many nickels and decide if that’s enough of a weight difference for you. Helps with the madness some.
By “helps the madness” I’m imagining that you mean you stop mid-way through counting a pile of nickels to decide what skateboard trucks to buy and realize that it’s gone too far.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #500 on: June 01, 2022, 07:23:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really hope i get to this point, my FS noseslides have suffered since switching to thunders, they're getting better, but it hurts my soul to struggle on a trick that is normally a staple for me. I love doing long fs noseslides <3

you'll get there for sure! i have a homie who does the longest fs noseslides on Thunders 145s
i'm riding Ventures nowadays, but some of my longest fs tailslides have been on Thunders. A little adjustment in technique and speed go a long way

Wizard0f0dds

« Reply #501 on: June 01, 2022, 07:29:08 AM »
Obviously they slide just fine if your technique is on point:

IpathCats

« Reply #502 on: June 01, 2022, 07:40:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you'll get there for sure! i have a homie who does the longest fs noseslides on Thunders 145s
i'm riding Ventures nowadays, but some of my longest fs tailslides have been on Thunders. A little adjustment in technique and speed go a long way

thanks for the encouragement

yea, surprisingly, my back tails are doing better than they were on indys. My technique for them must be complimentary to thunders, where as my fs noseslides were more suited for indys. I'm def gonna keep at it, really enjoying the trucks otherwise. and lets be honest, you know KB put a fat layer of wax on the side of that ledge lol.

Wizard0f0dds

« Reply #503 on: June 01, 2022, 08:05:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

thanks for the encouragement

Expand Quote

[close]

yea, surprisingly, my back tails are doing better than they were on indys. My technique for them must be complimentary to thunders, where as my fs noseslides were more suited for indys. I'm def gonna keep at it, really enjoying the trucks otherwise. and lets be honest, you know KB put a fat layer of wax on the side of that ledge lol.

Really? It's funny, for me it's the opposite! My front noseslides aren't affected really on either my Thunder or my Indys, but my back tails freaking suck on Thunders, I tend to dip then more than any other slide so I end up sticking, while I can get away with some dip on Indys.

IpathCats

« Reply #504 on: June 01, 2022, 08:24:10 AM »

Really? It's funny, for me it's the opposite! My front noseslides aren't affected really on either my Thunder or my Indys, but my back tails freaking suck on Thunders, I tend to dip then more than any other slide so I end up sticking, while I can get away with some dip on Indys.

Yup, completely opposite. My back tails have improved on thunders haha. That fact alone motivates me to just alter my technique for slides I'm having trouble with, I know it can be done. Just gotta keep messing around with them .

LebowskisRug

« Reply #505 on: June 01, 2022, 09:03:28 AM »
On my current Baker deck with the Baker team graphic I was an idiot when I set it up and didn't know what direction the logo went. I skated it for a full day and was impressed by how crispy fs flips and tails were. Imagine my fucking head exploding when I rode it the correct way and realized the difference.

Also Thunder lights are stupid light. I honestly hated skating them in 148s because they made my board feel outta control when I left the ground. You could get the basic standards and be just fine in terms of weight plus they're a tad taller.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 445
« Reply #506 on: June 01, 2022, 09:53:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
By “helps the madness” I’m imagining that you mean you stop mid-way through counting a pile of nickels to decide what skateboard trucks to buy and realize that it’s gone too far.

Ha! Sneaky Secrets said something similar about microwaving shoes.
What really makes a person realize that they are splitting hairs is the average is between 5-15 nickels difference!

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #507 on: June 01, 2022, 11:36:11 AM »
Is there a reason they are not offering 161s in any hollow version (lately?)

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #508 on: June 01, 2022, 03:58:09 PM »
Never been interested in thunders until recently. Been watching lots of old Dylan Rieder footage and it got me realizing that a lot of the skaters I like are on thunders. Old Brent atchley footage got me thinking about thunders always too.

Anyways, what is the turn like compared to venture? If thunders were stable like ventures but turned and were more carvy then I think I could get down on that.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #509 on: June 01, 2022, 05:26:00 PM »
I thought Brent rode Indy's?

Turn is not the same kind of stable. I actually like it a lot but others find it twitchy. The stability comes from the lower height and generally smaller turn radius than an Indy or Ace but nothing like Venture.