Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 132384 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
  • What, me worry?
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #630 on: August 11, 2022, 09:51:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Got my first thunders recently. Good gawd they're squeaky. Gonna get out the wax and pencil lead after dinner.

I've always used wax on squeaky trucks in the past but I'm going to try one with graphite and see which works better.

Edit:
Graphite powder didn't do anything so gulf wax had to come to the to the rescue.
[close]

That’s funny, thunders are the only trucks that haven’t squeaked for me. My Indy’s always squeaked like crazy and my aces squeak AND click
[close]

I find this kinda funny.  ;D soon we're able to recognize trucks by the sounds the make. Squeak and click, that's Ace!

Anyways, I've been intrested in trying Thundies in years. Are the wooden risers worth it? I'm probably getting 151s and I ride wheel sizes 52 to 56.

I usually run thunders with the forged baseplate, so if I want to un a larger wheel the 3-ply wood risers work great

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 452
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #631 on: August 11, 2022, 05:41:39 PM »
Would a 147 on an 8.25 board wheelbite less than a 148 because of the angle which the wheel contacts the board?  Or is the truck proportionately smaller so it’s about the same?  Or more?
The 147 is going to wheelbite more because the 147 is a lower truck than the 148 and up. As far as width to wheelbite ratio on other brands that maintain the same height across sizes I’m not really sure.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #632 on: August 11, 2022, 06:25:36 PM »
Wider trucks can wheel bite easier but they can also push the wheels out to where the concave starts to bend up if you use them on the same size deck. There are a lot of variables to wheel bite. 148s might be higher but on some decks they could wheel bite easier than 147s... time to join the gear madness thread....

l1ll1ll1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #633 on: August 19, 2022, 01:23:12 AM »
Since I suck at skating and want to keep being terrible, I just wanted to try out Thunders (Team 147) and really like them so far, the pop is so good, tricks come way easier. But my main problem (apart from getting used to the baseplate thing) is kingpin clearance and I'm not even talking about smiths/feebles. I have to run them reeeeeally lose to get them as turny as I'm used to coming from Indys, but now the kingpin nut even hung up three times doing a 5050 on a shitty curb thats a bit wobly. Any recommendations on how to get them looser, but nut more flush? The Ishod way with two top bushings?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #634 on: August 19, 2022, 01:35:56 AM »
Since I suck at skating and want to keep being terrible, I just wanted to try out Thunders (Team 147) and really like them so far, the pop is so good, tricks come way easier. But my main problem (apart from getting used to the baseplate thing) is kingpin clearance and I'm not even talking about smiths/feebles. I have to run them reeeeeally lose to get them as turny as I'm used to coming from Indys, but now the kingpin nut even hung up three times doing a 5050 on a shitty curb thats a bit wobly. Any recommendations on how to get them looser, but nut more flush? The Ishod way with two top bushings?
Used to do the two top bushings before I knew anything and never had a problem but now I know changing the bottom bushing height changes the geometry. I think leave the bottom bushing but try find a smaller top bushing/cut down the too bushing and/or take off the top washer. Could also try finding a smaller kingpin nut but the kingpin itself will still poke up

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 452
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #635 on: August 19, 2022, 05:50:53 AM »

I’ve noticed a lot of team riders just take off the bottom washer. Geometry be dammed it doesn’t seem to affect them negatively plus it’s a free experiment!

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #636 on: August 19, 2022, 05:57:30 AM »
I have the kreper inverted kingpins in my 146s and the krux in mu 148s. The newer cast plates accommodate an inverted kingpin nicely, but the 148s are the old style and on these I had to flip the kingpin nut upside down.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #637 on: August 19, 2022, 06:03:25 AM »
I have the kreper inverted kingpins in my 146s and the krux in mu 148s. The newer cast plates accommodate an inverted kingpin nicely, but the 148s are the old style and on these I had to flip the kingpin nut upside down.
I did the same thing recently with the DLK on my thunders and have tons of clearance now.  Knocking the kingpin out wasn't hard either once I figured out a good method.

Get hungry on it!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
« Reply #638 on: August 19, 2022, 08:15:44 AM »
Are you guys able to ride them loose?

Maybe something to get them looser/turnier is to run more of conical bushing? 

Softer bushings?  Cut your top bushing?

I ran inverted in teams but had to skate them a bit tighter because I didn’t want the nut to pop off, plus thunders are bad for wheelbite.  All the turn is in the top end….not a deep turning truck. .

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #639 on: August 19, 2022, 09:53:53 AM »

A quick and easy experiment you can do is just ditch the washers. Back when I was into really loose trucks that’s what I did. Definitely made wheelbite worse but that’s the price you pay for looser trucks especially on Thunder. Other than that, cutting the bushings or getting different bushings can work. Either two top bushings instead of a top and bottom or softer bushings. Bones soft bushings are super soft but also seem to wear down and crack really quickly.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #640 on: August 19, 2022, 11:03:30 AM »
I've said this many times but don't be afraid of risers on Thunders. An 1/8" riser pad destabilizes Thunders nicely, enhances the turn and prevents wheel bite.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #641 on: August 19, 2022, 11:11:35 AM »

I ran inverted in teams but had to skate them a bit tighter because I didn’t want the nut to pop off, plus thunders are bad for wheelbite.  All the turn is in the top end….not a deep turning truck. .
I don't ride them particularly loose. Stock with the nut flush before I switched out the kingpins. Was able to get back to that with the DLK without the kingpin digging in to the board. 

I just like the stock blue bushings.

Get hungry on it!

Curbfiend

• Rep: 4
« Reply #642 on: August 19, 2022, 11:12:16 AM »
I've said this many times but don't be afraid of risers on Thunders. An 1/8" riser pad destabilizes Thunders nicely, enhances the turn and prevents wheel bite.

Agreed. Even with my stock bushings adding risers was the key for unlocking the turn.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 03:38:30 PM by Curbfiend »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #643 on: August 19, 2022, 01:14:10 PM »
It’s true and risers are probably the best answer…..it just seems counter intuitive when most people buy thunders because they are lower….

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #644 on: August 19, 2022, 06:24:10 PM »
It’s true and risers are probably the best answer…..it just seems counter intuitive when most people buy thunders because they are lower….

I forget who said it, but I recall someone (pro or industry dude maybe) who said something like "You can't make a tall truck lower, but you can always put a riser under a low truck to make it work better for you" which still rings true today.

Some people are so against risers and I totally understand how their board works for them, but if all I had to skate was Thunder team editions on normal size 54 to 56 mm wheels as I did for a while back in the early 00s when I had access to get them cheap through a local distributor, I definitely needed risers on them to be able to skate them how I wanted, even just 2mm made a huge difference to me. 

Most risers do feel a bit chunky or just don't work so well, but getting something that will fit perfectly under the trucks, as was the case with those thin rubber risers, which I had on most trucks back then, it was easy to cut them to size and also match up the baseplate holes.

The couple of setups I have Thunders on now have the same type of rubber risers at about 2mm tall that fit perfectly under the baseplates and everything works well for me, but even just standing on a board without risers, if it has Thunders and stock bushings and I am putting the deck to every wheel a little too often, I feel like I need that small difference to be comfortable.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #645 on: August 19, 2022, 07:15:08 PM »
Real Thunder wooden risers. Fit great, feel great, look great. Maybe poke out the tiniest bit but if you care you can lightly sand them.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #646 on: August 20, 2022, 07:24:37 AM »
I'll keep preaching: Thunders + wheel wells = perfect match to avoid wheel bite

LebowskisRug

« Reply #647 on: August 20, 2022, 07:58:49 AM »
I must be the only skater on Earth that doesn't have an issue with wheelbite on Thunders. The turn just works for me. The stock pop feel is great and no desire to make it heavier with a riser. That's why I'm "against" using them they're just not necessary IMO. Maybe if I needed em really loose for carving bowls but Lockwood has zero issue and Brent Atchley seems fine on em.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #648 on: August 20, 2022, 08:21:06 AM »
There are always the pro exceptions…but for the most part….

Asking someone who skates thunders how they skate them? : ‘medium’ when you stand on them: tight…. Go and do that with someone who skates Aces…..

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #649 on: August 20, 2022, 08:25:12 AM »
My thunders still feel a little tight, even with the stock bushings and the kingpin nut nearly off. May try removing the bottom washer, or might try the nfg bushings which everyone said were too soft.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #650 on: August 20, 2022, 09:42:08 AM »

Asking someone who skates thunders how they skate them? : ‘medium’ when you stand on them: tight…. Go and do that with someone who skates Aces…..

I've stepped on Ace pro rider decks that were all tighter than my Thunders. My Thunders are looser than my friend that skates Ace.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #651 on: August 20, 2022, 09:43:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have stepped on Ace pro rider decks that were all tighter than my Thunders. My Thunders are looser than my friend that skates Ace.

I think it really depends on how you weight your turn. I really lean into it and like to snap my turns or slappies at the end of the arc vs lean in at a consistent rate.

dmtr

• Rep: 20
« Reply #652 on: August 20, 2022, 10:05:33 AM »
Thunder 147's hollow low on a 8.25" deck with 53 mm wheels ... wheelbite all around.
Will the Real riserpads fix this ? I like to skate medium to tight trucks also , so might put in some Thunder 94A bushings.
Any thoughts or recommendations ? Really enjoy the small trucks though, my other setup has Indy 149's on a 8.5" deck. The weight difference is huge!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #653 on: August 20, 2022, 10:09:03 AM »
Thunder 147's hollow low on a 8.25" deck with 53 mm wheels ... wheelbite all around.
Will the Real riserpads fix this ? I like to skate medium to tight trucks also , so might put in some Thunder 94A bushings.
Any thoughts or recommendations ? Really enjoy the small trucks though, my other setup has Indy 149's on a 8.5" deck. The weight difference is huge!

Yes. Risers will likely fix this. (I ride loose 151s and have to use risers with almost any size wheel to avoid wheel bite.)

however, your set-up will take a little getting used to. IMO if you like turning, it will feel better after a few sessions.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #654 on: August 20, 2022, 10:29:51 AM »
147 with risers isn't far off Team 148s...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #655 on: August 20, 2022, 10:47:54 AM »
I'll keep preaching: Thunders + wheel wells = perfect match to avoid wheel bite

I've said it many times as well. Polars with WW pair wonderfully, especially on the 8.25". Sadly, very few WW boards out there. Polar and Monarch if you want popsicles.

Page2
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118215.msg3660837#msg3660837

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=119999.msg3845365#msg3845365
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 10:57:46 AM by Xen »

dmtr

« Reply #656 on: August 20, 2022, 10:57:39 AM »
Gonna get more used to the trucks, but Im ordering the pads anyway.
Those polar decks have been on my radar for a while, never rode one though.
Now might be a good time ( excuse ) to try them out!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #657 on: August 20, 2022, 10:59:02 AM »
Gonna get more used to the trucks, but Im ordering the pads anyway.
Those polar decks have been on my radar for a while, never rode one though.
Now might be a good time ( excuse ) to try them out!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Even with Indy and ACE wheel wells are great, I mean, they were created for a reason (big wheels back in the stone age) and are fully functional. There was this myth that boards with wheel wells broke easier; that might be true for some people?

dmtr

« Reply #658 on: August 20, 2022, 11:09:06 AM »
The only thing holding me back from buying Polar are the graphics haha
Not many brands are doing those Wheel wells, but its worth a shot for sure! As a carpenter myself  I can't or rather won't believe a board will snap or break easier/faster having those cutaways, so it's certainly not a concern to me.
Zach Dowdy did a YT video about a poler deck a while ago, good time to give it a view!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #659 on: August 21, 2022, 09:00:02 AM »
Black label have some wheel welled boards if that's more your cuppa.