Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 132753 times)

CweamCheeds (+ 2 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 454
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #900 on: December 12, 2022, 05:00:10 AM »

The interesting thing with that pic is it doesn't give an accurate representation of where the axle actually sits on both.

Baseplates are lined up to the bolt holes, not the kingpin and pivot cup, but either way it is still interesting to see things like that side by side.

Lining up Ace, Indy, Thunder and Venture in that order along the axle line really shows how little there is between them, but it is still significant in that even 1 - 2 mm can make such a big difference overall.

Either way I wonder how many people might now try this themselves if they have everything lying around.  Some truck parts pair up better than others, but not everything goes with everything else.

Thanks for posting too.

Absolutely. I remembered a discussion about this a few pages back but couldn’t find a way to quote it that would keep the discussion in context. I personally would never mix and match truck brands but to each their own. I figured hey, someone here might find this useful.

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 333
« Reply #901 on: December 12, 2022, 06:10:11 AM »
I would imagine the pivot nub of the Thunder hanger isn't sitting properly in the Venture plate in order for the yoke to be center, two very different geo's of trucks. But still kinda cool, nonetheless

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #902 on: December 12, 2022, 01:33:36 PM »

The interesting thing with that pic is it doesn't give an accurate representation of where the axle actually sits on both.

Baseplates are lined up to the bolt holes, not the kingpin and pivot cup, but either way it is still interesting to see things like that side by side.

Lining up Ace, Indy, Thunder and Venture in that order along the axle line really shows how little there is between them, but it is still significant in that even 1 - 2 mm can make such a big difference overall.

Either way I wonder how many people might now try this themselves if they have everything lying around.  Some truck parts pair up better than others, but not everything goes with everything else.

Thanks for posting too.

Yeah, he mentions it but the rality is he was just referencing the ability to lock in with the plate vs. dragging your wheels.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #903 on: December 12, 2022, 03:17:42 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks for posting too.

[close]

Yeah, he mentions it but the rality is he was just referencing the ability to lock in with the plate vs. dragging your wheels.

That was the first thing I was looking for in the comments - sure enough, right there.

I guess it is more the "Oooohhhh aaaaahhhhh" of the truck world, even some people still sending me things or saying in person that Thunder trucks are faulty or not made right, to which I just smile and nod more often than not.

They still work fine for me on boards I have set up, but I prefer other trucks anyway, so no need to get into that argument again and again.

The difference when measured with other brands was 2mm from axle to end of baseplate, which is so little really, but it sure got some people riled up about the fact that when setup with wheels and sitting flat on a bench, the baseplate didn't touch, yet on a board with concave, when pressed up against anything, the kick firmly down on the ledge / edge the baseplate touches a whole lot.

I know that has already been covered time and time again, but it still seems it doesn't get through to some people.

Sorry.  :)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #904 on: December 12, 2022, 04:56:05 PM »
After riding thunders and 53/54mm wheels forever (even before the height revamp on 149s) I've become forever unable to lock in on a baseplate regardless of truck brand; Attempting to do so just sees me bash into shit.

I just end up balanced on the flat of the kick after the fingers of flat regardless of it being a nose or tail.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #905 on: December 12, 2022, 09:06:58 PM »
Weird, my thunder plates are super scratched and rounded, but I also put a lot of the kick on the ledge. If the ledge is sticky I just wax the side but normally don't need to. At the same time I do miss having a baseplate to slide on.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #906 on: December 12, 2022, 09:08:43 PM »
Weird, my thunder plates are super scratched and rounded, but I also put a lot of the kick on the ledge.

Yeah, weird. I don't try and do this mind you, it's just want happens...I do slide long/well like this tho...and back when I was flipping terribly out of shit, I got tons of leverage.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #907 on: December 13, 2022, 09:23:23 AM »
After riding thunders and 53/54mm wheels forever (even before the height revamp on 149s) I've become forever unable to lock in on a baseplate regardless of truck brand; Attempting to do so just sees me bash into shit.

I just end up balanced on the flat of the kick after the fingers of flat regardless of it being a nose or tail.

Are you doing exclusively nose and tail slides on transition? Because that is the only way I can imagine not touching any baseplate on even not optimal locked slides. I think of getting my head over the tail or nose more if I find i'm not sliding on a good lock. Hope that helps.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #908 on: December 13, 2022, 11:02:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Are you doing exclusively nose and tail slides on transition? Because that is the only way I can imagine not touching any baseplate on even not optimal locked slides. I think of getting my head over the tail or nose more if I find i'm not sliding on a good lock. Hope that helps.

Nope. Slappies or ollie into them.

As noted I have no problem with sliding this way so no need to change what works, thanks tho.

ejazzle

• Rep: 76
« Reply #909 on: December 13, 2022, 11:59:49 AM »
been riding venture lows for 15+ years and just got a set of thunders to try. Any major differences I'm going to notice? Ride an 8" board with 52mm wheels.

IpathCats

« Reply #910 on: December 13, 2022, 12:01:36 PM »
been riding venture lows for 15+ years and just got a set of thunders to try. Any major differences I'm going to notice? Ride an 8" board with 52mm wheels.

They will turn and grind better than the ventures for sure.

Depending on your nose/tailslide technique, the short baseplates may bother you.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #911 on: December 13, 2022, 12:17:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Nope. Slappies or ollie into them.

As noted I have no problem with sliding this way so no need to change what works, thanks tho.

i ride basically your same setup and the only time my baseplate slides is on a super sharp ledge. Curbs and streetledges are all wheel.

i used to hate the lack of baseplate coming from indy but now i really dig the screeching .

deoderant bar on the side of the ledge
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #912 on: December 13, 2022, 01:14:19 PM »
Recently bought a pair of 161s and was surprised to get less wheel bite than my forged titanium Indy 169s.  This is with 54mm wheels. 

Trying to figure out what was going on, I went to the Thunder site and realized the 161 and 181 are 1mm taller than the 148-151 trucks.

Definitely a nice surprise if anyone is considering going up to the bigger sizes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #913 on: December 13, 2022, 02:23:30 PM »
Recently bought a pair of 161s and was surprised to get less wheel bite than my forged titanium Indy 169s.  This is with 54mm wheels. 

Trying to figure out what was going on, I went to the Thunder site and realized the 161 and 181 are 1mm taller than the 148-151 trucks.

Definitely a nice surprise if anyone is considering going up to the bigger sizes

Tightness/bushing color?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #914 on: December 13, 2022, 02:32:49 PM »

You don't need to figure out what's going on it's the same for me. No clue why, but I don't question it.

burner

• Rep: 91
« Reply #915 on: December 15, 2022, 09:42:50 PM »

So has the inverted kingpin Thunder been canned? (Not DIY, I mean an actual release by DLX/Thunder).

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #916 on: December 15, 2022, 11:22:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tightness/bushing color?

I’ve been riding 161s on a Beach Bummer with the 56mm Dragons. I have the newer stock orange aftermarket 90A bushings in there, and I’m getting the same experience as other dude. I have them cranked to med/med-loose, nut barely flush. Turn is carvy with quick response, only getting wheelbite on bad misses.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #917 on: December 16, 2022, 02:37:30 AM »

So has the inverted kingpin Thunder been canned? (Not DIY, I mean an actual release by DLX/Thunder).

Haven't heard or seen anything either way.

A few people had some test versions which may have worked well, or they might still be in R&D phase, but it has been a while hey?!?

From the extra hex underside on the baseplates from a while back now, was it 2019-2020 that those first came out, to not much more for general public, I can see people being curious and having questions.

IpathCats

« Reply #918 on: December 16, 2022, 06:23:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A few people had some test versions which may have worked well, or they might still be in R&D phase, but it has been a while hey?!?

From the extra hex underside on the baseplates from a while back now, was it 2019-2020 that those first came out, to not much more for general public, I can see people being curious and having questions.

WHAT IF... now stay with me on this one, they're actually doing proper testing? that would be sick.

flatcurber

• Rep: 2
« Reply #919 on: December 16, 2022, 07:18:41 AM »
Yes, the nut sits almost flush but peeks out less than a millimeter. There's no need to dermal the deck, as the wood is soft enough to get indented by it, possibly negating any baseplate movement if your hardware gets loose.

Did you have to hammer the nut into the baseplate at all to keep it snug?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #920 on: December 16, 2022, 04:40:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tightness/bushing color?

Nuts flush with the stock clear blue bushings.  no reason to change anything as long as the bushings hold up

burner

« Reply #921 on: December 17, 2022, 01:33:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

WHAT IF... now stay with me on this one, they're actually doing proper testing? that would be sick.

Hehe - let’s hope so. We don’t want another Lurpiv....(I was actually really psyched on Lurpiv, but boy, that would have benefited from a little more time in R&D).

It must be 10yrs+ since Thunder put out anything new, so I’d be excited to see something a little bit different - hopefully there’s still some new ideas in the works.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #922 on: December 21, 2022, 08:25:36 PM »
Maybe I’m in the minority here, but aside from maybe the ikp (if it’s something different than the already existing ikps out with other brands), I don’t really want anything to change with Thunder. The truck works well and does what I want. I don’t have any issues with wheels on ledges and I ride 55s currently. If they scrape on the ledge it’s not stopping my slide, so it must not be too bad.

Plus, every time a company changes something, we all shit all over it. Look at Indy, how many people still want Stage 8s or whatever the fuck, and they moved on from that more than a decade ago?

I don’t see them changing the baseplate without screwing up some other part of the truck or the overall geo. Doesn’t seem worth the trade off.

burner

« Reply #923 on: December 22, 2022, 01:56:17 AM »
Maybe I’m in the minority here, but aside from maybe the ikp (if it’s something different than the already existing ikps out with other brands), I don’t really want anything to change with Thunder. The truck works well and does what I want. I don’t have any issues with wheels on ledges and I ride 55s currently. If they scrape on the ledge it’s not stopping my slide, so it must not be too bad.

Plus, every time a company changes something, we all shit all over it. Look at Indy, how many people still want Stage 8s or whatever the fuck, and they moved on from that more than a decade ago?

I don’t see them changing the baseplate without screwing up some other part of the truck or the overall geo. Doesn’t seem worth the trade off.

Yeah, fair enough. I just want more options, like Venture and Indy (and Ace) - I want options in my favourite brand of high and lo (or mid). In Thunder I skate 145/147, and they’re just too low for some setups. Even 52s is pushing it before pitched landings. And risers don’t fix everything, that’s not for me. I was a Thunder skater growing up, but the closest thing to 90s Thunders geo is Venture Hi. Modern Thunders are really different, tiny baseplate, skinny hanger, they sacrificed a lot for weight reduction, which is cool. I’m glad people a stoked on current Thunders, they’re a great truck, but I just can’t shake off my first Thunder love. Man, nostalgia is a bitch.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #924 on: December 22, 2022, 06:51:01 AM »
No they're not. I've skated Thunders and Ventures since about 1998. They have changed the baseplate especially near the hanger yoke, but the geo isn't substantially different and they have the same basic turning characteristics. The absence of true lows is good because they had zero kingpin clearance. The bushings are better as well. I don't think there is a single truck that hasn't improved over the years especially once highs became normal and more sizes were offered.

burner

« Reply #925 on: December 22, 2022, 08:00:07 AM »
No they're not. I've skated Thunders and Ventures since about 1998. They have changed the baseplate especially near the hanger yoke, but the geo isn't substantially different and they have the same basic turning characteristics. The absence of true lows is good because they had zero kingpin clearance. The bushings are better as well. I don't think there is a single truck that hasn't improved over the years especially once highs became normal and more sizes were offered.

Yes, they are. And when I say geo, I’m not just talking about just turning characteristics, I’m talking about the whole thing - height, wheelbase, baseplate, nose/tail slide clearance etc. Yes, the turn is different obviously (but not wildly so), but that’s only one factor. I think because Venture haven’t shrunk their baseplate (despite changing from old to new hole pattern) this is also why they’re similar to the 90s six hole Thunders (before they shrunk it down). I’m too lazy to post pics, but I’m lining up the old and new thunders and venture hi’s right now, and the current Thunders are the odd one out.

Anyway, obviously the current Thunder highs are not highs, at best they’re mids, but at sub 50mm for the 145/147 lights, that’s basically a low truck (and yes I know they had an even lower truck, but that doesn’t make sub 50mm trucks “highs”).

TLDR: I’d love to see a release of actual highs on Thunder, something fresh, a little variety - why not give skaters that are stoked on Thunder more choices than just one bog standard, not hi, not super lo, truck. I’d be saying the same thing if Venture and Indy only came in one basic height.  heck, how many Thunder pros run risers because of this lack of choice of a true high, that’s got to say something. Right?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #926 on: December 22, 2022, 01:12:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, they are. And when I say geo, I’m not just talking about just turning characteristics, I’m talking about the whole thing - height, wheelbase, baseplate, nose/tail slide clearance etc. Yes, the turn is different obviously (but not wildly so), but that’s only one factor. I think because Venture haven’t shrunk their baseplate (despite changing from old to new hole pattern) this is also why they’re similar to the 90s six hole Thunders (before they shrunk it down). I’m too lazy to post pics, but I’m lining up the old and new thunders and venture hi’s right now, and the current Thunders are the odd one out.

Anyway, obviously the current Thunder highs are not highs, at best they’re mids, but at sub 50mm for the 145/147 lights, that’s basically a low truck (and yes I know they had an even lower truck, but that doesn’t make sub 50mm trucks “highs”).

TLDR: I’d love to see a release of actual highs on Thunder, something fresh, a little variety - why not give skaters that are stoked on Thunder more choices than just one bog standard, not hi, not super lo, truck. I’d be saying the same thing if Venture and Indy only came in one basic height.  heck, how many Thunder pros run risers because of this lack of choice of a true high, that’s got to say something. Right?

I agree that they have changed (venture geo also changed a bit in the street corner to dlx move, imo).
I do not want them higher. I prefer the geo of the 145/147s, to the 148s and up.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #927 on: December 22, 2022, 03:39:58 PM »
Man, nostalgia is a bitch.

Truer words have never been spoken, my friend.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #928 on: December 22, 2022, 04:14:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Talking to someone that works on Thunder trucks the hanger yoke and kingpin angle have always been the same. They did change from the rounded baseplate, which stuck out slightly more. Unfortunately this doesn't influence geometry, hence why I didn't include it. When Thunder pushed for higher trucks they did change the hanger to accommodate a taller lower bushing and on highs the top bushing got slightly taller. Of course 1:1 this isn't "the same" as a low, but they specifically tuned these variables so the turn was more or less the same twitchy turn.

I actually think Thunders are fine as is sans baseplate. I have no interest in riding a truck over 53mm or whatever Venture high are so the 1mm difference in normal sizes isn't a big deal. I'm not sure another 1-2mm of baseplate would change slides much but I'd take that for sure. A 52mm 147 would be great as it's such a weird in between size.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #929 on: December 22, 2022, 04:42:16 PM »

I totally get what people are saying, as I have a few sets of the old six hole Thunders (some regular kingpin and some inverted kingpins, which I have posted before), some of the lows, some 149ers and some of the other in between stages before the current ones and they are significantly different in look and feel to skate, regardless of no change to geometry.

The reality is things get discontinued because they didn't sell well enough or someone "fixed" the issues that the main people concerned - their pro riders - brough up with them.

The pro guys have even said it before - you can't make a high truck lower, but you can always make a low truck higher.

Risers are there for a reason, and clearly they do work for Ishod so DLX is not about to change much with their Thunder trucks in that regard, but again everyone is entitled to say whatever they wish.

As far as the current modern market for skate hardgoods, I do think we have pretty much the best in the way of options and quality now compared to any time in the past, no matter what people might prefer or wish they still had back in the day or through the years.

I have had the pleasure (or whatever because I wasn't so stoked really) to be able to skate or even just stand on / look at a lot of boards, be it decks, completes or others from almost all time periods in skating and I gotta say that most boards we skated from the 80s right through were way better in my head than they are in real life.

For anyone who is not happy with whatever you have right now, you can always make your own modifications to make something exactly as you think it should be and skate that instead.

I for one use 2mm hard rubber sheeting that I cut up to fit exactly under the baseplate and is perfect to make current Thunder trucks more manageable for me, as well as give them to anyone who has Thunders in case they want to have that little bit of extra height and it is interesting to hear the responses.

Some people are stoked with the existing height so don't need them, others stoked on the little extra height, especially with no riser sticking out anywhere round the baseplate and no change of truck feel on their board, but less wheelbite.  That is probably the main one, whether they realise it or not, as some people are no where near as in tune with their setup as others who know what every little thing does or can feel and make sense of all the small changes they make to their own boards.

Everyone is different in that regard and I do actually enjoy hearing how people do things, or wish they had things, as I will often go and try something on a board I don't mind messing with just to see what people are talking about.

For my own boards though, once they are set up, nothing changes on them for the life of the board, as I know exactly what works for me in that regard.