Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 133650 times)

burner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 91
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #930 on: December 22, 2022, 06:47:58 PM »

I totally get what people are saying, as I have a few sets of the old six hole Thunders (some regular kingpin and some inverted kingpins, which I have posted before), some of the lows, some 149ers and some of the other in between stages before the current ones and they are significantly different in look and feel to skate, regardless of no change to geometry.

The reality is things get discontinued because they didn't sell well enough or someone "fixed" the issues that the main people concerned - their pro riders - brough up with them.

The pro guys have even said it before - you can't make a high truck lower, but you can always make a low truck higher.

Risers are there for a reason, and clearly they do work for Ishod so DLX is not about to change much with their Thunder trucks in that regard, but again everyone is entitled to say whatever they wish.

As far as the current modern market for skate hardgoods, I do think we have pretty much the best in the way of options and quality now compared to any time in the past, no matter what people might prefer or wish they still had back in the day or through the years.

I have had the pleasure (or whatever because I wasn't so stoked really) to be able to skate or even just stand on / look at a lot of boards, be it decks, completes or others from almost all time periods in skating and I gotta say that most boards we skated from the 80s right through were way better in my head than they are in real life.

For anyone who is not happy with whatever you have right now, you can always make your own modifications to make something exactly as you think it should be and skate that instead.

I for one use 2mm hard rubber sheeting that I cut up to fit exactly under the baseplate and is perfect to make current Thunder trucks more manageable for me, as well as give them to anyone who has Thunders in case they want to have that little bit of extra height and it is interesting to hear the responses.

Some people are stoked with the existing height so don't need them, others stoked on the little extra height, especially with no riser sticking out anywhere round the baseplate and no change of truck feel on their board, but less wheelbite.  That is probably the main one, whether they realise it or not, as some people are no where near as in tune with their setup as others who know what every little thing does or can feel and make sense of all the small changes they make to their own boards.

Everyone is different in that regard and I do actually enjoy hearing how people do things, or wish they had things, as I will often go and try something on a board I don't mind messing with just to see what people are talking about.

For my own boards though, once they are set up, nothing changes on them for the life of the board, as I know exactly what works for me in that regard.

Absolutely, completely agree. It was cool to be stoked on whatever you could get your hands on, back in the day, but there’s no doubt that it’s awesome to have all the high quality product these days at your fingertips (and all the info like your rad woodshop thread just makes everyone way more informed than the old days, which is awesome). I just can’t fuck with risers unless it’s a cruiser, maybe it’s mental as well, but it just a no. Just lifting up the truck hasn’t solved it for me, especially on wider Thunders, I’ll put 1/2” risers under 161, and it just feels so wrong, compared to say Indys or even Venture. Yeah, maybe I need to get into moding or just be thankful with all the rad choices we’ve got, spoiled for choice! ;D

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No they're not. I've skated Thunders and Ventures since about 1998. They have changed the baseplate especially near the hanger yoke, but the geo isn't substantially different and they have the same basic turning characteristics. The absence of true lows is good because they had zero kingpin clearance. The bushings are better as well. I don't think there is a single truck that hasn't improved over the years especially once highs became normal and more sizes were offered.
[close]

Yes, they are. And when I say geo, I’m not just talking about just turning characteristics, I’m talking about the whole thing - height, wheelbase, baseplate, nose/tail slide clearance etc. Yes, the turn is different obviously (but not wildly so), but that’s only one factor. I think because Venture haven’t shrunk their baseplate (despite changing from old to new hole pattern) this is also why they’re similar to the 90s six hole Thunders (before they shrunk it down). I’m too lazy to post pics, but I’m lining up the old and new thunders and venture hi’s right now, and the current Thunders are the odd one out.

Anyway, obviously the current Thunder highs are not highs, at best they’re mids, but at sub 50mm for the 145/147 lights, that’s basically a low truck (and yes I know they had an even lower truck, but that doesn’t make sub 50mm trucks “highs”).

TLDR: I’d love to see a release of actual highs on Thunder, something fresh, a little variety - why not give skaters that are stoked on Thunder more choices than just one bog standard, not hi, not super lo, truck. I’d be saying the same thing if Venture and Indy only came in one basic height.  heck, how many Thunder pros run risers because of this lack of choice of a true high, that’s got to say something. Right?
[close]

Talking to someone that works on Thunder trucks the hanger yoke and kingpin angle have always been the same. They did change from the rounded baseplate, which stuck out slightly more. Unfortunately this doesn't influence geometry, hence why I didn't include it. When Thunder pushed for higher trucks they did change the hanger to accommodate a taller lower bushing and on highs the top bushing got slightly taller. Of course 1:1 this isn't "the same" as a low, but they specifically tuned these variables so the turn was more or less the same twitchy turn.

I actually think Thunders are fine as is sans baseplate. I have no interest in riding a truck over 53mm or whatever Venture high are so the 1mm difference in normal sizes isn't a big deal. I'm not sure another 1-2mm of baseplate would change slides much but I'd take that for sure. A 52mm 147 would be great as it's such a weird in between size.

Yeah, you’re right with the kingpin/yolk angle, they’ve done a great job there keeping it real. I’m not an expert with the language so when I say geometry, I’m talking about the angles and math of the trucks overall to the board (wheelbase, height etc), but turning which perhaps is what geo means in skate terms, yeah old Thunders do turn more like new Thunders not Ventures.

I skate the hollow or titaniums 145/147 (depends on deck) on the OG/“Team” baseplate, with 50s. It brings out the best in my limited abilities 8). When it’s crusty, and I need 53+, Thunders just don’t work for me, and I reach for the Venture V light his.  Anyway man, just good to shoot the shit, thanks for the feedback, always good to hear opinions and learn, that’s what’s great about slap.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #931 on: December 22, 2022, 06:56:16 PM »
👆🏽 why don’t you like bigger wheels & thunders? I just set up thunders w/55mm only took out on one sesh but it felt fine.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #932 on: December 22, 2022, 07:51:34 PM »
Expand Quote

I totally get what people are saying, as I have a few sets of the old six hole Thunders (some regular kingpin and some inverted kingpins, which I have posted before), some of the lows, some 149ers and some of the other in between stages before the current ones and they are significantly different in look and feel to skate, regardless of no change to geometry.

The reality is things get discontinued because they didn't sell well enough or someone "fixed" the issues that the main people concerned - their pro riders - brough up with them.

The pro guys have even said it before - you can't make a high truck lower, but you can always make a low truck higher.

Risers are there for a reason, and clearly they do work for Ishod so DLX is not about to change much with their Thunder trucks in that regard, but again everyone is entitled to say whatever they wish.

As far as the current modern market for skate hardgoods, I do think we have pretty much the best in the way of options and quality now compared to any time in the past, no matter what people might prefer or wish they still had back in the day or through the years.

I have had the pleasure (or whatever because I wasn't so stoked really) to be able to skate or even just stand on / look at a lot of boards, be it decks, completes or others from almost all time periods in skating and I gotta say that most boards we skated from the 80s right through were way better in my head than they are in real life.

For anyone who is not happy with whatever you have right now, you can always make your own modifications to make something exactly as you think it should be and skate that instead.

I for one use 2mm hard rubber sheeting that I cut up to fit exactly under the baseplate and is perfect to make current Thunder trucks more manageable for me, as well as give them to anyone who has Thunders in case they want to have that little bit of extra height and it is interesting to hear the responses.

Some people are stoked with the existing height so don't need them, others stoked on the little extra height, especially with no riser sticking out anywhere round the baseplate and no change of truck feel on their board, but less wheelbite.  That is probably the main one, whether they realise it or not, as some people are no where near as in tune with their setup as others who know what every little thing does or can feel and make sense of all the small changes they make to their own boards.

Everyone is different in that regard and I do actually enjoy hearing how people do things, or wish they had things, as I will often go and try something on a board I don't mind messing with just to see what people are talking about.

For my own boards though, once they are set up, nothing changes on them for the life of the board, as I know exactly what works for me in that regard.
[close]

Absolutely, completely agree. It was cool to be stoked on whatever you could get your hands on, back in the day, but there’s no doubt that it’s awesome to have all the high quality product these days at your fingertips (and all the info like your rad woodshop thread just makes everyone way more informed than the old days, which is awesome). I just can’t fuck with risers unless it’s a cruiser, maybe it’s mental as well, but it just a no. Just lifting up the truck hasn’t solved it for me, especially on wider Thunders, I’ll put 1/2” risers under 161, and it just feels so wrong, compared to say Indys or even Venture. Yeah, maybe I need to get into moding or just be thankful with all the rad choices we’ve got, spoiled for choice! ;D

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No they're not. I've skated Thunders and Ventures since about 1998. They have changed the baseplate especially near the hanger yoke, but the geo isn't substantially different and they have the same basic turning characteristics. The absence of true lows is good because they had zero kingpin clearance. The bushings are better as well. I don't think there is a single truck that hasn't improved over the years especially once highs became normal and more sizes were offered.
[close]

Yes, they are. And when I say geo, I’m not just talking about just turning characteristics, I’m talking about the whole thing - height, wheelbase, baseplate, nose/tail slide clearance etc. Yes, the turn is different obviously (but not wildly so), but that’s only one factor. I think because Venture haven’t shrunk their baseplate (despite changing from old to new hole pattern) this is also why they’re similar to the 90s six hole Thunders (before they shrunk it down). I’m too lazy to post pics, but I’m lining up the old and new thunders and venture hi’s right now, and the current Thunders are the odd one out.

Anyway, obviously the current Thunder highs are not highs, at best they’re mids, but at sub 50mm for the 145/147 lights, that’s basically a low truck (and yes I know they had an even lower truck, but that doesn’t make sub 50mm trucks “highs”).

TLDR: I’d love to see a release of actual highs on Thunder, something fresh, a little variety - why not give skaters that are stoked on Thunder more choices than just one bog standard, not hi, not super lo, truck. I’d be saying the same thing if Venture and Indy only came in one basic height.  heck, how many Thunder pros run risers because of this lack of choice of a true high, that’s got to say something. Right?
[close]

Talking to someone that works on Thunder trucks the hanger yoke and kingpin angle have always been the same. They did change from the rounded baseplate, which stuck out slightly more. Unfortunately this doesn't influence geometry, hence why I didn't include it. When Thunder pushed for higher trucks they did change the hanger to accommodate a taller lower bushing and on highs the top bushing got slightly taller. Of course 1:1 this isn't "the same" as a low, but they specifically tuned these variables so the turn was more or less the same twitchy turn.

I actually think Thunders are fine as is sans baseplate. I have no interest in riding a truck over 53mm or whatever Venture high are so the 1mm difference in normal sizes isn't a big deal. I'm not sure another 1-2mm of baseplate would change slides much but I'd take that for sure. A 52mm 147 would be great as it's such a weird in between size.
[close]

Yeah, you’re right with the kingpin/yolk angle, they’ve done a great job there keeping it real. I’m not an expert with the language so when I say geometry, I’m talking about the angles and math of the trucks overall to the board (wheelbase, height etc), but turning which perhaps is what geo means in skate terms, yeah old Thunders do turn more like new Thunders not Ventures.

I skate the hollow or titaniums 145/147 (depends on deck) on the OG/“Team” baseplate, with 50s. It brings out the best in my limited abilities 8). When it’s crusty, and I need 53+, Thunders just don’t work for me, and I reach for the Venture V light his.  Anyway man, just good to shoot the shit, thanks for the feedback, always good to hear opinions and learn, that’s what’s great about slap.

I always enjoy casual bullshitting and glad someone else on Slap enjoys Thunders. They get a lot of hate on here/don't seem as popular.

burner

« Reply #933 on: December 22, 2022, 10:03:46 PM »
👆🏽 why don’t you like bigger wheels & thunders? I just set up thunders w/55mm only took out on one sesh but it felt fine.

Whell bite, pitched landings. I’m 6’2”, 200lb, so that’s a factor too ;D. I don’t understand how 55 would work on a 147, just not happening, I’d have to crank it so hard to stop wheel bite, but then my turning is screwed, I like to carvy surfy between tricks (attempts...) and it just ain’t working. And when I’ve tried wider, like I got some 161, it was actually worse. I put 1/4 risers on (then tried 1/2) but that just felt odd because now the wheel is turning below the truck, below the pivot cup, if that makes sense. Yeah, that’s my experience with bigger wheels on Thunders. Glad it works for you though, that’s cool.

burner

« Reply #934 on: December 22, 2022, 10:40:51 PM »

I always enjoy casual bullshitting and glad someone else on Slap enjoys Thunders. They get a lot of hate on here/don't seem as popular.

Yeah man, for sure, I’m not hating on Thunders, and I don’t want to get rid of the current Thunders, I just want more! Just bullshitting of ideas options, like how Venture has the same baseplate but hi/lo hanger, I dream of this for Thunder, so they’d be say 53mm OG baseplate, 52mm forged, that’s the dream. Thunders are my first love, Gino, SJ, Dill, Karma, MJ, Wray etc so they’ll always have my heart. Ima going to give the 147 lights a go on a wider board with 50s, EE style. 8)

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #935 on: December 23, 2022, 05:50:47 AM »
You guys should try add one ring on the top of the bushings to avoid the wheelbites… work better than a riser

flatcurber

• Rep: 2
« Reply #936 on: December 23, 2022, 05:57:28 AM »
You guys should try add one ring on the top of the bushings to avoid the wheelbites… work better than a riser

This doesn’t affect your kingpin clearance? I love my Thunders but the kingpin clearance on the ti-lights is basically nonexistent. I haven’t really had any grinding issues at least.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #937 on: December 23, 2022, 07:32:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah man, for sure, I’m not hating on Thunders, and I don’t want to get rid of the current Thunders, I just want more! Just bullshitting of ideas options, like how Venture has the same baseplate but hi/lo hanger, I dream of this for Thunder, so they’d be say 53mm OG baseplate, 52mm forged, that’s the dream. Thunders are my first love, Gino, SJ, Dill, Karma, MJ, Wray etc so they’ll always have my heart. Ima going to give the 147 lights a go on a wider board with 50s, EE style. 8)

Gino and Dill were always on Ventures.

burner

« Reply #938 on: December 23, 2022, 08:19:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Gino and Dill were always on Ventures.

Dude, are we arguing again!! ;D

No, they weren't. This one I know for sure, benefits of being old as fuck 8). Gino back heeled the Gonz gap on Thunders. He and Dill both skated Thunder's on Black Label and Snuff era.

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/imagesV2/Burnout/2013/Magazine_1994/February_1994/TH0294Feb1994p92-93_800t.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Njb238g7ra8/VHZH4R2krhI/AAAAAAAAcZc/tL_WVVbgxLo/s1600/ginothrasherjune93chrome.jpg
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 08:34:05 AM by burner »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #939 on: December 23, 2022, 08:40:51 AM »
You are correct, I hadn't considered that era, but knew they were on Ventures from ~1996 onwards. Dill was for sure during his Alien days and Gino was from Chocolate Tour on. Hard to find high res versions of those videos. I thought Gino was on Venture in Trilogy as well, but I didn't watch Snuff as much growing up so I definitely didn't remember that.

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #940 on: December 23, 2022, 09:44:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Whell bite, pitched landings. I’m 6’2”, 200lb, so that’s a factor too ;D. I don’t understand how 55 would work on a 147, just not happening, I’d have to crank it so hard to stop wheel bite, but then my turning is screwed, I like to carvy surfy between tricks (attempts...) and it just ain’t working. And when I’ve tried wider, like I got some 161, it was actually worse. I put 1/4 risers on (then tried 1/2) but that just felt odd because now the wheel is turning below the truck, below the pivot cup, if that makes sense. Yeah, that’s my experience with bigger wheels on Thunders. Glad it works for you though, that’s cool.
I’m 5’8 205 so we’ll see when I take it to transition. I also like em to carve.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #941 on: December 23, 2022, 10:23:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I’m 5’8 205 so we’ll see when I take it to transition. I also like em to carve.

200lbs here also. I have ridden 151s on 54mm to 58mm wheels. Always with an 1/8" riser, stock 90a bushings, nut flush.  Bigger wheels on transition where wheel bite isn't as much of an issue as with a horizontal landing. Anyway, wheel bite isn't a huge issue. I certainly get wheel rub marks but it doesn't fuck me up much. Wheel shape and truck width to deck width ratio can also play into reducing wheel bite potential.

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #942 on: December 23, 2022, 10:36:47 AM »
I tried risers recently but it’s totally through me off. I don’t like added height but also I only tried them on ventures. I always get wheel rub. Also my thunders aren’t broken in. Gonna take a minute.

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #943 on: December 23, 2022, 03:33:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This doesn’t affect your kingpin clearance? I love my Thunders but the kingpin clearance on the ti-lights is basically nonexistent. I haven’t really had any grinding issues at least.

Uh, not sure, probably yes but dont think enought to be a trouble. Anyways the kingping clearance isnt the Thunder stronger point
Since i began useing that ring not even a wheel mark on the table. With out it i get wheel marks on the table even with a raiserpads.. probably it work well but i am not that good to be 100% sure

Also didnt feel any change on the trucks turn..

flatcurber

« Reply #944 on: December 23, 2022, 03:37:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Uh, not sure, probably yes but dont think enought to be a trouble. Anyways the kingping clearance isnt the Thunder stronger point
Since i began useing that ring not even a wheel mark on the table. With out it i get wheel marks on the table even with a raiserpads.. probably it work well but i am not that good to be 100% sure

Interesting but cool hack. I know people go crazy about kingpin clearance (including me) but I’m starting to learn if you just work through grinding down the kingpin nut naturally you’ll be ok. I definitely get wheel marks with Thunders but never really notice the wheelbite, but I use 94a bushings with the kingpin flush with the nut.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #945 on: December 23, 2022, 04:24:53 PM »

I can hardly turn with the nut flush on stock bushings, let alone adding a thick ass washer to have two; must be tight as fuck which is why there isn't any wheelbite ;)

In before "nah dawg, they're medium loose!". My ass they are...

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #946 on: December 23, 2022, 05:40:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Adding something under the bottom bushing, or even a taller or stiffer bottom bushing definitely has advantages, besides bringing the hanger up higher, more kingpin clearance and a slightly better angle of turn, it does prevent more wheelbite too.

As said, depending on how you like your trucks, it can firm up the bushings a whole lot, which in some cases translates to "too tight" but for the most part, doing this with slightly harder duro bushings with a low head top bushing is what I enjoy on most of my setups - I get a firmer feeling, but can still turn as needed and put wheel to deck on all four, but it prevents the sloppy "no bushing" feeling that you would get with very soft bushings, which leads to more wheelbite issues.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

flatcurber

« Reply #947 on: December 24, 2022, 06:12:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Adding something under the bottom bushing, or even a taller or stiffer bottom bushing definitely has advantages, besides bringing the hanger up higher, more kingpin clearance and a slightly better angle of turn, it does prevent more wheelbite too.

As said, depending on how you like your trucks, it can firm up the bushings a whole lot, which in some cases translates to "too tight" but for the most part, doing this with slightly harder duro bushings with a low head top bushing is what I enjoy on most of my setups - I get a firmer feeling, but can still turn as needed and put wheel to deck on all four, but it prevents the sloppy "no bushing" feeling that you would get with very soft bushings, which leads to more wheelbite issues.

This is great info, thanks!

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #948 on: December 24, 2022, 09:41:29 AM »
I recently acquired some Indy aftermarket bushings for my Thunders and they are a much taller bushing than the Thunder bushing and I did notice it brought the hanger up a bit and thought that was sick. Its kinda nice since I already have risers and now my trucks are pretty high now.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #949 on: December 24, 2022, 10:27:21 AM »
I recently acquired some Indy aftermarket bushings for my Thunders and they are a much taller bushing than the Thunder bushing and I did notice it brought the hanger up a bit and thought that was sick. Its kinda nice since I already have risers and now my trucks are pretty high now.

Which ones? They should be 1mm lower than thunders. At least my 90a conical indy bushings are 13mm tall and all thunders 14mm.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #950 on: December 24, 2022, 05:06:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Which ones? They should be 1mm lower than thunders. At least my 90a conical indy bushings are 13mm tall and all thunders 14mm.
They are the standard cylinder ones.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #951 on: December 25, 2022, 04:44:42 PM »

Someone else had mentioned and then I had seen the black ones were definitely taller - 14 or more mm in height.

Not sure about the others, but the most recent white, orange and yellow seemed to be the normal height - 13mm

Some had different looking finishes on them too, but they still seemed to work the same.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #952 on: December 25, 2022, 04:57:05 PM »

Someone else had mentioned and then I had seen the black ones were definitely taller - 14 or more mm in height.

Not sure about the others, but the most recent white, orange and yellow seemed to be the normal height - 13mm

Some had different looking finishes on them too, but they still seemed to work the same.

My 78a indys were initially above 14mm but compressed and stayed at 13mm after use

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #953 on: December 25, 2022, 05:14:17 PM »

The black ones are the ones I have exactly. When I first set them up I could barely get the nut down and had to take out the washers. Now after skating them for a bit they have mushed down might try to put the washers back in to see what's up

GroovySinner

• Rep: -79
« Reply #954 on: December 26, 2022, 05:57:41 PM »
The 149 raws with the blue bushings skate pretty good

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #955 on: January 14, 2023, 10:00:22 PM »
Anyone notice Thunder shifting things up a bit? I have some brand new 151s and the axle sits closer in than on an older pair. Lining up the mounting holes and it looks like they are drilled a few mm off, bringing the newer versions in to a tighter wheelbase. Both are cast plates.

Haven't skated them yet but this is no bad thing in my book. Full disclaimer the older pair are from when 151s first came out, perhaps 2012, 2013...

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #956 on: January 14, 2023, 10:56:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can hardly turn with the nut flush on stock bushings, let alone adding a thick ass washer to have two; must be tight as fuck which is why there isn't any wheelbite ;)

A little late here, but for shits n giggles, I tried throwing a bones flat washer under stock 148 hollow lights and they were definitely medium tight when the kingpin nut was about a couple turns before flush. For reference, I'm like 175 pounds so maybe if you're heavier it will feel more medium loose.

With that being said, I kept the same configuration but removed the top washer (bones flat washer and thunder bottom washer still intact on the bottom) and made the kingpin nut flush. Now it feels a lot looser and responsive and pulls in the overall WB so it's like a team thunder (+3.125 roughly). I had one session on it between breaks from the rain and I like it so far. I threw on radial slims worn down to about 49/50mm and haven't had any bad wheelbite so far.

Not sure if I think it's better than leaving them stock and using risers, but I might run these for a bit n see how I feel.

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #957 on: January 15, 2023, 05:10:58 AM »
Anyone notice Thunder shifting things up a bit? I have some brand new 151s and the axle sits closer in than on an older pair. Lining up the mounting holes and it looks like they are drilled a few mm off, bringing the newer versions in to a tighter wheelbase. Both are cast plates.

Haven't skated them yet but this is no bad thing in my book. Full disclaimer the older pair are from when 151s first came out, perhaps 2012, 2013...

I’ve been thinking the same about the 161s I got this fall. I haven’t cared enough to thoroughly check.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #958 on: January 15, 2023, 11:19:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

A little late here, but for shits n giggles, I tried throwing a bones flat washer under stock 148 hollow lights and they were definitely medium tight when the kingpin nut was about a couple turns before flush. For reference, I'm like 175 pounds so maybe if you're heavier it will feel more medium loose.

With that being said, I kept the same configuration but removed the top washer (bones flat washer and thunder bottom washer still intact on the bottom) and made the kingpin nut flush. Now it feels a lot looser and responsive and pulls in the overall WB so it's like a team thunder (+3.125 roughly). I had one session on it between breaks from the rain and I like it so far. I threw on radial slims worn down to about 49/50mm and haven't had any bad wheelbite so far.

Not sure if I think it's better than leaving them stock and using risers, but I might run these for a bit n see how I feel.

I use flat washers in thunders all the time, and it works well for me (like it did for you); instead of the bones top, I use a low top (Ace or NFG currently) so two bones washers top and bottom, stock thunder bottom bushings. A low (hard) top (or perhaps the venture low top) is the real deal for thunders, washers aside.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #959 on: February 01, 2023, 12:46:06 AM »
Which is better for a short person, 8 size foot, with 8.125 deck, 147 or 148 ?

I skate a LOT of flatground, that's what I prefer !  :-*

I had already tried the 147 a long time ago, I found them quite rigid, too .. "tight", but maybe I had to get used to it because I skated venture for a long time, the feeling is different !

I also wonder if the thunders are better for flat skating or if the venture highs are better..

FUCKING MADNESS !  ;D