Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 126593 times)

mtndewsk8r19

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -11
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2021, 01:21:09 AM »
Thunder team 148s with bones hard, very loose. no complaints turn and grind like a dream

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2021, 03:45:06 AM »
Dude the old 149s were soooooo good. Prefer them over the new ones, even if the wheelbite was worse lol. They just felt better at 49mm.

Right! If only they would make those again and in 148 and 147 and call them the 149er/whatever size  lo

I remember first trying them and man they were solid

Use to be able to find a few on eBay not sure anymore but man, everytime I go back and watch that toy machine grip it and rip it with Johnny Layton I get so hyped on my thunders and he was riding those old 149ers in the video
yes

Dan Gerous

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2021, 04:02:15 PM »
This thread makes me want to put Thunders back on.

I'm still carrying my lockdown extra weight so they wheelbite too easily with the stock bushings but I like their height so I didn't want to put risers... I might try them again with Thunder 94a or 95a bushings... or I may have some Bones hard somewhere...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2021, 10:16:43 PM »

I'm still carrying my lockdown extra weight so they wheelbite too easily with the stock bushings but I like their height so I didn't want to put risers... I might try them again with Thunder 94a or 95a bushings... or I may have some Bones hard somewhere...

Heh opposite here, I just put my 144s back on after getting pitched every time rolling away fakie on shit I was working on…

I guess I’m just too heavy (even if it’s athletic weight), like my trucks too loose AND most importantly, a sketchy style (imagine an Evan Smith style but without the talent)…combined with thunders is wheebite city; with Ace or Indy I get a little more play as the hanger moves in instead of insta pinch and pitch.

I had a decent run with a polar and thunders due to wheel wells and ~50mm wheels :)

Dan Gerous

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2021, 09:38:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Heh opposite here, I just put my 144s back on after getting pitched every time rolling away fakie on shit I was working on…

I guess I’m just too heavy (even if it’s athletic weight), like my trucks too loose AND most importantly, a sketchy style (imagine an Evan Smith style but without the talent)…combined with thunders is wheebite city; with Ace or Indy I get a little more play as the hanger moves in instead of insta pinch and pitch.

I had a decent run with a polar and thunders due to wheel wells and ~50mm wheels :)
I hear you, that's exactly why I switched to 144 in the first place, I always found it easier and smoother to roll away with looser trucks, speed and momentum just bring you around if you don't land perfectly. I think I'll stick to them for now.

I could get away with Thunders and even Venture lows in the 90's... but I was skin and bones and skating narrower boards, probably smaller wheels too so I never had problems.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 10:02:30 AM by Dan Gerous »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
….but then you’ve got big boy Foy running stock medium loose standard thunders and 54mm conicals :)

Talent > gear (but the right gear helps); dudes the pinch master so thunders are his jam.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2021, 06:27:48 PM »
My 149s baseplate scrapes on tailslides as you can see from the photo, thats with 55mm conical fulls.

I also dont really get wheelbite they just rub and eventually burn their own wheel wells into my deck so it all works out, I find that if I skate a skinny wheel I experience a proper bite a lot more frequently though.

I actually have a notch in my baseplate from noseslides on my Thunders. I was worried about them sliding, but by god they work fine.

Also got some RipTides (barrel bottom, conical top) and so far I like how they feel.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2021, 07:50:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Dude the old 149s were soooooo good. Prefer them over the new ones, even if the wheelbite was worse lol. They just felt better at 49mm.
[close]

Right! If only they would make those again and in 148 and 147 and call them the 149er/whatever size  lo

I remember first trying them and man they were solid

Use to be able to find a few on eBay not sure anymore but man, everytime I go back and watch that toy machine grip it and rip it with Johnny Layton I get so hyped on my thunders and he was riding those old 149ers in the video

I had those OG 149ers when they came out. I loved them but the new ones turn so much better. I was also riding tighter trucks back then...

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2021, 08:04:32 PM »
how do you fine folk deal with the shit thunder stock bushings, does it get better somehow as the top bushing crumbles and gives up?
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2021, 06:02:55 AM »
how do you fine folk deal with the shit thunder stock bushings, does it get better somehow as the top bushing crumbles and gives up?

Seems their pandemic era stock bushings have been lower quality. My most recent set blew out in a month and were already too soft for me brand new.

Based on this thread, a lot of thunder riders prefer to upgrade to better bushings (including me); either Indy, thunder, bones or riptide aftermarket bushings in the 88a-95a range.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 06:12:12 AM by Mariatorresflores »

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2021, 06:19:02 AM »
I ride the 100a black Thunder aftermarkets in my Silvas Omni Team Hollows, just biting the nylock on the front truck and flush on the back truck. They were way too hard at first but broke in beautifully. Now they carve great, are stable and I hardly if ever wheelbite on 54mm wheels.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2021, 06:46:39 PM »

the more they disintegrate the better my turn gets

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2021, 09:40:21 PM »
Expand Quote
My 149s baseplate scrapes on tailslides as you can see from the photo, thats with 55mm conical fulls.

I also dont really get wheelbite they just rub and eventually burn their own wheel wells into my deck so it all works out, I find that if I skate a skinny wheel I experience a proper bite a lot more frequently though.

[close]

I actually have a notch in my baseplate from noseslides on my Thunders. I was worried about them sliding, but by god they work fine.

Also got some RipTides (barrel bottom, conical top) and so far I like how they feel.
Which RipTides did you use? I checked them out when I ordered some pivot cups but got overwhelmed by the options and just ordered the cups.

I’m on 149 standards, rode the stock greens till they completely blew out and decided to try a flat washer to see if the top bushings didn’t get as chewed up. After messing around a little, I landed on a hard black bottom / red top (both from the Thunder rebuild kits) combo with riptide cups, flat riptide top washers, and Thunder bottom washers. It’s loose but stable. More stable than I prefer but I’m trying to get heelflips and this is helping. It responds but if I want a harder turn, I just have to put a little more into it and it turns easy.

Still, the next pair is probably staying stock, maybe smooth the stock washers so they aren’t so sharp. Took way too long to get to this setup.

I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2021, 09:28:44 AM »
After a few quick sessions with Indy 88a Soft bushings on my Thunders, I really like how they feel. I’m pretty light and they seem to turn way better, probably not as much as my cruiser with Indy trucks and Indy medium bushings, but much closer to that which is what I was going for.

palach303

• Rep: 1
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2021, 11:34:55 AM »
I dont think the stock bushing are that bad, I havent had any cracking and they perform ok, but I wanted to finetune my setup a little bit so today I replaced the top bushing with a Venom 85a street cone and it feels so much better! Its still stable but way more responsive and surfy. I like it a lot so far.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2021, 05:22:49 AM »
It's happening

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2021, 05:45:03 AM »
161 tits? that would be great..

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2021, 05:51:48 AM »
It's happening

Team Ti would have me giddy :)

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2021, 09:25:23 PM »
Just snapped up 2 sets of 149 titaniums. Socal Skateshop has them in 147, 148, and 149 from what I saw if anyone wants.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2021, 11:44:40 PM »
149 team standards (all day) on Ishod TT 8.25 / Bones Medium bushings (or stock but cba with the breaking in period) - goldilocks combo for me. 

Didn't work so well on the same TT in 8.3 due to the wider WB.

Agreed, Thunders don't turn as well as Indy or Ace but the wider WB makes them waaaay more stable and allows me to roll away on sketchy landings a lot more which is a small trade off for a less carvey turn. I've managed to get my Thunders to turn loose / carvey enough so its a decent enough compromise. Also just prefer the look of Thunders over any other trucks.

RIP Dylan

Mariatorresflores

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2021, 07:40:43 AM »
Didn't see that the Ti's on socal's site but skate wearhouse has them in stock. Havven't seen any since 2018/19 so snap em up if you're still looking.

Two cents on comparing trucks; I find Thunders are the best trucks for flip tricks and truck grinds, espically grinds requiring pinch (Smith, crooks etc). the spread out wheel base shortens the motion required for flip tricks, so if you're coming from another truck you may find yourself whiffling on your flicks at first but if you can adjust you should find that you're flip tricks flip faster and feel snappier.

Thunder's, sitting as low as they do, make grinds (especially pinched grinds), easier then most other brands as the angle necessary to pinch is smaller. The lower, wider ride also makes it easier to keep your weight behind grinds.

Thunders are designed with strictly street skating in mind and since that's what I usually skate they're my go to. If I'm skating park/trans/mini I usually skate Aces as they feel like they were designed for that type of skating.
 - edited to remove strictly upon request.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 06:27:25 AM by Mariatorresflores »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2021, 09:00:39 AM »
Thunders have no problem in transition at all. In fact 151a feel great with risers in a big bowl.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2021, 09:42:26 AM »
I went back to my thunders after a long hiatus and they're feeling great. I mainly skate ledges and flat but the bit of transition that I do skate has felt more comfortable too. They're just a solid truck that gets the job done for me. Currently I'm running ace bushings in them but I have a set of medium indy conicals on the way too. Riding 54mm F4 classics.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2021, 09:42:56 AM »

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2021, 10:23:26 AM »
Thunders have no problem in transition at all. In fact 151a feel great with risers in a big bowl.

You're correct. But i think indy allows for more maneuverability in tranny situations in general

Mariatorresflores

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2021, 12:22:18 PM »
I never said Thunders weren't good for transition, just that I feel Indy/Aces are designed with more of an emphasis on tranny skating. It's just geometry really, a higher truck with a shorter wheelbase will carve deeper and be easier to pump for speed. Also having lighter trucks makes sense for street, heavier makes sense for transition. You're free to your preference, I'm just pointing out reasoning behind their strengths/differences.

I guess I didn't see them on socals site because I assumed they'd to be in the section they'd labeled "New" thunder trucks. I glanced at the rest but didn't notice them near the bottom of the page all mixed up with the standard stuff. My bad I guess, I'd rather of bought from them then SW.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2021, 02:46:24 PM »
I never said Thunders weren't good for transition,

You said “designed a strictly for street skating.” The dudes that designed Thunder geometry did not have strictly street in mind, rather a quick initial turn.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2021, 03:14:25 PM »
Should have waited a day. They're $10 more on socal skateshop. Oh well, I've always had great experience and customer service from them so I don't mind really

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2021, 03:30:03 PM »
Should have waited a day. They're $10 more on socal skateshop. Oh well, I've always had great experience and customer service from them so I don't mind really

Both are great shops, SoCal can be pricier of late and slower shipping so my goto so SW (hard to beat the overnight shipping).

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2021, 03:26:23 AM »
Someone recently told me that Thunders have negative camber (see image). Anyone else have more info?

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead