Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 126584 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2021, 04:10:38 AM »
Someone recently told me that Thunders have negative camber (see image). Anyone else have more info?

I guess whoever said that bent their truck, my axles are straight

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2021, 05:42:12 AM »
Back truck on my thunder light IIs bushings are disintegrating after about a year of use, i bought some replacement bushings but have held out fitting them as the turn has actually gotten a lot better as the bushings are breaking up.

Failing upwards?!

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2021, 06:15:52 AM »
Expand Quote
I never said Thunders weren't good for transition,
[close]

You said “designed a strictly for street skating.” The dudes that designed Thunder geometry did not have strictly street in mind, rather a quick initial turn.

Ok homie. take "strictly" (and your a, I'm guessing that's a typo) out of the sentence if it makes you feel better. Don't really see how it's worth your post or my response. Why try to create a disagreement out of nothing? I'm not here to argue.

They are designed to excel at street skating and I already explained their advantages in that regard well in this thread. Their geometry reflects that.

I've never bent an axle of a set of Thunders and I usually grind down to the axle. Not sure how someone would bend their axle downward like that anyway unless their board got ran over upside down.

Again  thunders are fine for transition skating, just said I prefer Aces when skating vert. I don't see an advantage to "quick turns" on vert but I do enjoy deep, surfy carves on vert.

I'd say if you're a strictly thunder or strictly Indy skater (and strictly etc) you'd do yourself a favor by trying other trucks in different situations. I enjoy feeling their distinct differences; make me skate differently, try different stuff. The only person forcing you into truck monogamy is yourself.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2021, 09:26:35 AM »
The only person forcing you into truck monogamy is yourself.

I’m still in love with Thunders but currently having a little fun on the side with Films right now. Nothing wrong with playing the field a little right? After all how many people skate the same exact deck, wheels, bearings, and shoes every time? You gotta spice it up a little from time to time.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2021, 12:27:25 AM »
Titaniums are finally on Tactics and are a lot cheaper than socal skateshop and skate warehouse

https://www.tactics.com/thunder/titanium-lights-iii-skateboard-trucks/polished-149

Frank and Fred

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2021, 08:29:12 AM »
I don't see an advantage to "quick turns" on vert but I do enjoy deep, surfy carves on vert.

Thunders are a vey good Vert truck because they are super stable on center.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2021, 09:41:47 AM »
Expand Quote
The only person forcing you into truck monogamy is yourself.
[close]

I’m still in love with Thunders but currently having a little fun on the side with Films right now. Nothing wrong with playing the field a little right? After all how many people skate the same exact deck, wheels, bearings, and shoes every time? You gotta spice it up a little from time to time.

me. Whenever I try new things it feels weird and I always end up going back to my original setup :(. Going on over a year of everything the same, even shoes.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 211
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2021, 12:17:13 PM »
After looking on IG for 5 minutes it seems like all the best skaters ride Thunders. It’s trippy. Maybe it’s just who I follow.

They have been my go to truck for over 15 years. I have a Thunder tattoo worked into my sleeves of shit. They just work.

Early this year my friend had some Indy mids that he HATED. Was going to toss them. I set them up and had one of the best skates of my life.

Velcro Wallet

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2021, 12:19:27 PM »
Also, I have 151 hollows with Thunder 95 aftermarket bushings and risers. SO predictable you can see why people like them.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2021, 05:37:53 PM »
Expand Quote
I have some Thunder 147 hollow lights and Real 3 ply risers. I'm currently running the standard issue bushings but I'm definitely going to go the @Xen route and find the best Riptide bushing option to make the turn a bit more surfy.

[close]

You could just go indy aftermarket and save a few bucks as riptides are 2x as much and no idea if you'd notice a difference.

Hey @Xen I think I'll ask your advice on the Riptide conicals that fit your Thunders please. I'd like to get them surfy.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2021, 10:53:50 PM »
After looking on IG for 5 minutes it seems like all the best skaters ride Thunders. It’s trippy. Maybe it’s just who I follow.

They have been my go to truck for over 15 years. I have a Thunder tattoo worked into my sleeves of shit. They just work.

Early this year my friend had some Indy mids that he HATED. Was going to toss them. I set them up and had one of the best skates of my life.

Maybe don't get an iron cross tattoo next to the lightning bolt.....

Velcro Wallet

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2021, 01:38:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe don't get an iron cross tattoo next to the lightning bolt.....

Well, I have some room but nah I’m straight haha.
Also, I think I had such a good skate because the Indy’s were just a new feeling. Turn felt way different.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2021, 08:40:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have some Thunder 147 hollow lights and Real 3 ply risers. I'm currently running the standard issue bushings but I'm definitely going to go the @Xen route and find the best Riptide bushing option to make the turn a bit more surfy.

[close]

You could just go indy aftermarket and save a few bucks as riptides are 2x as much and no idea if you'd notice a difference.
[close]

Hey @Xen I think I'll ask your advice on the Riptide conicals that fit your Thunders please. I'd like to get them surfy.
rip

[comparing 87a Riptides to 88a Indy conicals]

I like the riptides over the indy conicals for a couple of reasons:

1) break-in time is halved (if non-existent),
2) the rebound feels better/more responsive and I don't need to shave the top bushing like I do with the indys
+ you can also get more mix/match options with all the duros they offer.

That said, Indy conicals are [way] cheaper and the taller indy conical bottom bushing fits the thunders better than the riptides (I'm using a sleeved bottom washer that is a 1mm thicker than standard which is really next to nothing but does push it closer to stock for either option).

Was running Indy 88a bottoms (w/bones flat washer) + bone medium top with good results.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2021, 06:49:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
rip

2) the rebound feels better/more responsive and I don't need to shave the top bushing like I do with the indys

That said, Indy conicals are [way] cheaper and the taller indy conical bottom bushing fits the thunders better than the riptides (I'm using a sleeved bottom washer that is a 1mm thicker than standard which is really next to nothing but does push it closer to stock for either option).

Was running Indy 88a bottoms (w/bones flat washer) + bone medium top with good results.

Cool thanks @Xen -so to fit my Thunders 87a Krank conical Riptides? I'm gonna order those and some pivot cups too. Much obliged.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2021, 10:39:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
rip

[close]

Cool thanks @Xen -so to fit my Thunders 87a Krank conical Riptides? I'm gonna order those and some pivot cups too. Much obliged.

Yep, got mine from muitskate:
1   Array Machined Cone Sleeved Washers (Choose: 2 Pair (4 Cone Sleeved Washers))
1   RipTide KranK Short Street Cone + Washers Longboard Skateboard Bushings Pack (Color: White, Durometer: 87a)
1   RipTide KranK Street Cone + Washer Longboard Skateboard Bushings Pack (Color: White, Durometer: 87a)

sk8_cat

• Rep: 3
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2021, 02:34:38 AM »
The question that's kind of bugging me is which is the best replacement bushings. I ride on the hard side so I tried the 94 thunder aftermarkets which after they broke in they felt too loose again. Next I tried the bones hards, the problem there is that for the first 3 sessions they were really firm but then they started going loose at a crazy rate, even when loose though they have this great rebound but it's too easy to initiate a turn on the board especially for the first few degrees making kind of hard to stabilize before popping a trick. I also tried some 97a aftermarkets which where too hard to break in and turning on these took forever. Maybe I just need to get used to some of these but I am currently thinking of trying the 95 rebuild kit. Also the main issue that I have is that all Thunder bushings seem to blow out at some point which is why I'm looking at alternatives.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2021, 09:32:03 AM »
The question that's kind of bugging me is which is the best replacement bushings. I ride on the hard side so I tried the 94 thunder aftermarkets which after they broke in they felt too loose again. Next I tried the bones hards, the problem there is that for the first 3 sessions they were really firm but then they started going loose at a crazy rate, even when loose though they have this great rebound but it's too easy to initiate a turn on the board especially for the first few degrees making kind of hard to stabilize before popping a trick. I also tried some 97a aftermarkets which where too hard to break in and turning on these took forever. Maybe I just need to get used to some of these but I am currently thinking of trying the 95 rebuild kit. Also the main issue that I have is that all Thunder bushings seem to blow out at some point which is why I'm looking at alternatives.

Thunders are the odd-man-out as most aftermarkets work well in Indy or Venture, Thunders have a taller bottom bushing so if you are worried about that shit, stock/aftermarket thunders are the way to go. Quality-wise Thunder/Venture stocks are bottom barrel compared to the rest of the trucks out there (those worth riding mind), even Mini logo has better stock bushings...

Breaking in bushings are as bad as breaking on shoes, maybe even worse. You just have to stick with it. Plenty of alternatives listed above, but sounds like the 94 indy conicals might suit you?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2021, 03:06:53 AM »
Is thunder hollow a different wb to the regular thunder
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2021, 07:44:43 AM »
Is thunder hollow a different wb to the regular thunder

Trucks with forged plates in general will push out the wb compared to their cast counterparts.

I believe 147 and below are shorter by 2 mm so I'm not sure if you can compare wb with the wider thunders, correct me if I'm wrong

see thread: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 08:07:45 AM by notinternetfamous »

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2021, 02:07:51 PM »
I'm thinking about buying some thunder 151.
Is there any difference between regular and e.g. lights II(besides weight and height)?

Velcro Wallet

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2021, 02:16:32 PM »

Thunders with the blue rebuild kit is the move. I ride my truck medium to a bit tight and this set up hasn’t let me down. The bushings are still golden.

Velcro Wallet

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2021, 02:22:05 PM »
Oh, and I’m a heavy fuck too.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2021, 02:33:26 PM »
I get Thunder aftermarket bushings too, but I don't bother paying more for extra washers and bolts in the rebuild kits, I just get the bushings alone in those little tubes. When you can find them, they cost next to nothing.

Velcro Wallet

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2021, 04:23:16 PM »
I kinda like how it looks but much smarter to just get the bushings

I put all the blue bits that come with it and instantly changed it back to just the washer. Too much blue.

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2021, 11:01:42 AM »
Is there any difference between regular and e.g. lights II(besides weight and height)?

I think the forged models extend the wb slightly more than standard cast thunders.

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2021, 11:51:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the forged models extend the wb slightly more than standard cast thunders.

Sounds good. I'm asking because I have read something about "quick response geometry" and I only found that description with lights/hollow II.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2021, 10:07:52 PM »
Picked up some cheap defect 86a VENOM bottom bushings (bubbles in the pour) for $5. They are a hair taller than stock thunder bottoms - that said, comparing NEW clear blue / white stock thunders, they were different sizes (blue being shorter than the stock white). Weird.

Sanded the Venoms down a bit, but they're so close you don't need to (just my OCD) and threw them in along with the riptide 87a tops, bones washers top and bottom, nut flush.

148s, cast plates on a polar with wheel wells. I and trying to negate as much wheelbite as I can :P

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2021, 01:29:30 PM »
Picked up some cheap defect 86a VENOM bottom bushings (bubbles in the pour) for $5. They are a hair taller than stock thunder bottoms - that said, comparing NEW clear blue / white stock thunders, they were different sizes (blue being shorter than the stock white). Weird.

Sanded the Venoms down a bit, but they're so close you don't need to (just my OCD) and threw them in along with the riptide 87a tops, bones washers top and bottom, nut flush.

148s, cast plates on a polar with wheel wells. I and trying to negate as much wheelbite as I can :P

This sounds interesting, how does it skate? Remember you saying u always get mad wheel bit so how does this set up differ for u?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2021, 03:23:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This sounds interesting, how does it skate? Remember you saying u always get mad wheel bit so how does this set up differ for u?

Going skating later today.

The logic is, for me to get thunders loose enough I need shorter bottoms and shaved or low tops with 50mm wheels to avoid wheel bite (I usually ride forged plates and 50s are just slow, man); also been riding square wheels which bite more for me….so softer stock height bushings, flat washers, in cast plates for that +1mm (because I draw the line at risers) on a deck with wheel wells + rounded edge wheels should mitigate most of the minor bites where wax fails. Probably all bullshit. But, some tricks will be telling: front big spins (or shuvs) out of 50/50s ledge or slappies, I bail to bites only on these; another are simple tail to fakie, I bit all the fucking time coming of out of them.

Using 52mm tho, will see how it goes.

EDIT: Shout out to the bushing geeks in the main truck thread that recommended Venoms in Thunders. The caveat here is these are softer than probably most would skate on slap. I skate loose and like a swervy/twitchy feel (thunder) but also like carvey (ACE indy) this bushing combo is the best for me out of the gate after years of fucking around (stock cups btw). + I've always felt the stock Thunder (and Venture) bushings are reboundless mush, but that's just me...

Coupled with the riptide tops and Fuck yeah sums it up.

$5 Venom blems
https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/bushings/74006/venom-oops-blemished-bushings

Riptide short street cones (since all the venoms are tall as fuck)
https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/bushings/71643/riptide-krank-short-street-cone-longboard-skateboard-bushings-pack

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:38:08 PM by Xen »

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2021, 06:19:36 PM »
To all the people out there running  Bones bushings, what are some ways to get the squeaking noise to go away? I know the topic has been answered before but I don't want to dig through threads to find it. These are fairly new so I'm sure that's partly to blame. Anyways, we need some more 161 love in here these things are perfect. The extra 1mm height increase, the width and the Thunder geometry make these my goldilocks truck.

161 Team Standard, Bones Hard Bushings, no washers, 1/8 riser.