Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 146666 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1127
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #390 on: April 25, 2022, 05:46:33 PM »
Has another skated both 147s and 148s on the same width deck ( 8.25 ) and noticed much or a difference? The same model truck too, or at least the height the same. Just wondering how much the width really affects things

Well I have (because I have more parts than tricks). Both are good. 147s are lower, which is both good and bad

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #391 on: April 25, 2022, 05:52:08 PM »
(because I have more parts than tricks)

Preach.

Damoforce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #392 on: April 25, 2022, 07:42:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Has another skated both 147s and 148s on the same width deck ( 8.25 ) and noticed much or a difference? The same model truck too, or at least the height the same. Just wondering how much the width really affects things
[close]

Well I have (because I have more parts than tricks). Both are good. 147s are lower, which is both good and bad

Haha, I feel you there.

What about the width though? Do you think it changes much
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

LebowskisRug

« Reply #393 on: April 25, 2022, 09:10:23 PM »
It’s a quarter inch difference, so 1/8” per side. It’s harder to tell on Thunders since the height changes the pop too, but most people notice on other brands when height is controlled for.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • the moon rules
« Reply #394 on: April 25, 2022, 09:37:59 PM »
Quick question, what would be the biggest size wheels you guys would recommend on Thunders? Coming from Indys (and Ace classics before that) I usually ride anything between 54 and 56 without issue, I have a set of 55mm spit classics on ice and I'm thinking of replacing my cooked indys with Thunder 149s to switch it up for this summer. Haven't been on Thunders in about 4-5 years, I used to ride them with 53 back then, but I think it would be silly to buy new wheels when I have a brand new set already. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with 55s, but I wanted you guys' opinion on the matter.

Thanks!  ;D
For what it’s worth I ride Thunders pretty loose and have been skating 56’s for a few months now without an issue. No risers and I’m also on the heavier side compared to most other street skaters. I’m probably gonna switch to a smaller wheel soon, but it has nothing to do with wheelbite or anything like that
fuck you bama

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #395 on: April 25, 2022, 10:02:11 PM »
I’ve got some weird gear preferences. A lot of them. This one is up there tho:…I don’t (yet) like 8.25” trucks. I am the target market, in a way, I skated on 5.0 (7.62”) trucks, comfortably (ish) moved up to 8” wide trucks, and balked at 8.5” wide trucks. 149s just felt like such a burden. I liked the stability, and the aesthetic, but lots of things felt more difficult. It kicked off a lot of gear drama for me. I’ve always liked to try different stuff, even when I was relatively decent on a skateboard, I was always scheming/trying something new. 8.5” trucks and the setups just felt harsh, I didn’t see any advantages (other than keeping up with the style of the day, which I’m unfortunately not too prideful to attempt to partake in…some wild skate inspired fashion has happened, off topic).
I tried 8.25” decks on 8” trucks, and actually skated pretty decently with that, but not a huge fan of how it looked.
Aaaaaannnnyfuckingways, dear slap person would probably think I’d be all about the 8.25” truck. I had 144 Indy’s and they were good, but didn’t love them. I have af-1 44s, thunder 148s…dunno, just never really liked a setup with them. In my case I think it’s because I’m an extreme fucking idiot, and what I mean by that is that I’m attracted to things that are not as sensible. Like putting 159s on an 8.5 and hoping to keep all of the flip tricks I don’t really have anymore.

To each their own with equipment. If I was recommending stuff to someone that was new to the game I’d say buy your trucks in the middle of a .5” range that you are most likely to buy decks in, example: 8-8.5”, 8.25” trucks fits this range best. +\- .25” works, other combos work, but I leave that to people that are more experienced in what they like.

I skate maybe my best with thunders. Full stop. Whenever I feel like switching to something else, it’s because I want to use a larger wheel for the terrible concrete where I live. 147s are a low truck, 52s are as big as I can go, and that’s difficult. 148s are a little higher, bigger wheel is possible. I skate better with 147s, and the small wheels, but…hard to envision oneself as the resilient, robust, rebel, whilst walking to the spot cuz you got worn 50mm classics on your setup cuz wheelbite.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #396 on: April 25, 2022, 10:07:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Quick question, what would be the biggest size wheels you guys would recommend on Thunders? Coming from Indys (and Ace classics before that) I usually ride anything between 54 and 56 without issue, I have a set of 55mm spit classics on ice and I'm thinking of replacing my cooked indys with Thunder 149s to switch it up for this summer. Haven't been on Thunders in about 4-5 years, I used to ride them with 53 back then, but I think it would be silly to buy new wheels when I have a brand new set already. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with 55s, but I wanted you guys' opinion on the matter.

Thanks!  ;D
[close]
For what it’s worth I ride Thunders pretty loose and have been skating 56’s for a few months now without an issue. No risers and I’m also on the heavier side compared to most other street skaters. I’m probably gonna switch to a smaller wheel soon, but it has nothing to do with wheelbite or anything like that

Out here flexin

Jk. I’m just not ‘good’, and get wheelbite with 52s. Just how it is, for me. Love most things about thunder tho

Paperclip20

• Rep: 139
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #397 on: April 26, 2022, 05:30:22 AM »
I wish DLX would put some better stock bushings in. The stock ones feel decent but mine just broke after about a month and a half of skating, with the king pin nut flush. I weigh about 190 so that could play a part but damn.

Just put in some new medium Indy Conical bushings because I've had success with those before. Bones are never a good idea (for me).

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #398 on: April 26, 2022, 06:22:36 AM »
I wish DLX would put some better stock bushings in. The stock ones feel decent but mine just broke after about a month and a half of skating, with the king pin nut flush. I weigh about 190 so that could play a part but damn.

Just put in some new medium Indy Conical bushings because I've had success with those before. Bones are never a good idea (for me).
email them through their warranty section on the thunder website. Just send a video or pic of your crumbled bushings and a receipt of where you got them. They may even hook it up with new trucks or at least replacement bushings.

Paperclip20

« Reply #399 on: April 26, 2022, 06:45:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
email them through their warranty section on the thunder website. Just send a video or pic of your crumbled bushings and a receipt of where you got them. They may even hook it up with new trucks or at least replacement bushings.

I might give it a shot, I'm not too worried about it though DLX has been very good to me for replacing defective stuff in the past. It's more of a general complaint about the quality of the bushings.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #400 on: April 26, 2022, 06:58:46 AM »

Thanks!  ;D

I’m running 54mm conical regulars on 149 thunders with no risers. I did put in the blue 92a conical bushings in so that may have helped and I skate an 8.8 idk if that would effect it. I have wheel bite marks but I never feel it or it stop me. But if I wax a ledge I usually put a little in my wheel area just as a preventative

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #401 on: April 26, 2022, 07:02:26 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks!  ;D
[close]

Yeah, I've seen guys like Nick Michel and Tyson Peterson skate pretty big wheels on thunders, although I think Tyson uses risers if I'm not mistaken. I'm probably gonna try it out and see how it goes, and if it's too crazy I'll get 53s or something. My indys still have some of life in them, but I'm excited to switch it up a little so I might jump the gun and go for it anyways. Thanks, your comment reassured me a little.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #402 on: April 26, 2022, 07:05:15 AM »
I would often run 54s on Thunder 149s a lot and got by just fine. I feel like at a certain point wheelbite is just part of the process if you skate looser trucks.

I'm on Indys right now but I might switch back. Can't quite put my finger on it but I just don't feel like myself on my setup right now lol

Wizard0f0dds

« Reply #403 on: April 26, 2022, 07:16:23 AM »
I would often run 54s on Thunder 149s a lot and got by just fine. I feel like at a certain point wheelbite is just part of the process if you skate looser trucks.

I'm on Indys right now but I might switch back. Can't quite put my finger on it but I just don't feel like myself on my setup right now lol

Haha that's exactly how I feel too. I've been on indys for a year now and I'm still waiting to "get used to them". I love how they grind, especially compared to ace classics, but other things I feel like I did better on thunders.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #404 on: April 26, 2022, 07:26:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Haha that's exactly how I feel too. I've been on indys for a year now and I'm still waiting to "get used to them". I love how they grind, especially compared to ace classics, but other things I feel like I did better on thunders.

Glad I'm not alone, haha. I have no specific complaints about my Indys. Mine grind well, turn well, all that, but I just don't feel like I'm skating very well on them. Whereas I've mostly skated Thunders and I remember my last session on Thunders being especially good.

And I know this is crazy, but they're both the same size but my Indys just look smaller to me even though I know they're not.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #405 on: April 26, 2022, 07:31:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Glad I'm not alone, haha. I have no specific complaints about my Indys. Mine grind well, turn well, all that, but I just don't feel like I'm skating very well on them. Whereas I've mostly skated Thunders and I remember my last session on Thunders being especially good.

And I know this is crazy, but they're both the same size but my Indys just look smaller to me even though I know they're not.

I have been thinking about getting Indys, while skating well (for me) on thunders. My main reasons would be wanting a bigger wheel/deeper turn for transitions…but like you both have mentioned, I land on more stuff with thunders. So that’s nice.

Wizard0f0dds

« Reply #406 on: April 26, 2022, 07:34:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For me it was last week, I was playing skate with my friend who rides thunders and I snapped my board trying a hardflip. We finished the game on his board and it just clicked, I skate better on thunders (could be psychological, but what isn't in skateboarding). After our game I just went for a fs feeble on the rail and did it so good, and I usually struggle with those. And here I am, in The Thunder Thread.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #407 on: April 26, 2022, 01:45:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have a set of Thunder 148 and Indy 144 trucks and thought the Indys were smaller. I measured them and sure enough, the Indy hangers are smaller by a mm or so. Nothing adding an extra washer to the inside of the axle wouldn't fix.
How much for an order of ribs?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #408 on: April 26, 2022, 03:03:04 PM »
I caved and bought some 151s!  8) ;D

Haven't skated a set of Thunders in over 13 years, but I'm gonna try them on my Couch/Powerslide decks (I have 3 in total) to push that tiny 13.75" WB out (I'm 5' 10" and usually run 14.5")

Usually run Indy 149 Forged or Standard Hollow, so weight reduction and height are gonna take some getting used to, unless I cop some risers to solve the height issue!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Frank and Fred

« Reply #409 on: April 26, 2022, 04:37:24 PM »
You're stoked. 151s are really nice on the Couch/ Love Seats.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #410 on: April 27, 2022, 05:18:19 PM »
I keep going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth between Indy and Thunder for like 2 years now. Yesterday I stupidly put Thunders on an old deck that I wasn’t feeling and was blown away. Great session and everything felt easier than normal and I was convinced I was better on them.

Today I went out with both my setups and the margins were a lot thinner. Basically was doing the same shit on both setups and my Indy setup is a bit longer. In the end I have better pop on Indy and have mostly been on them for the better part of 8 months in some variation or another. So I made the rash decision to leave my Thunders at the spot. I kinda regret it but I also got suuuuper sick of the madness and in the end it’s so marginal that it’s probably me just second guessing myself on a bad day.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #411 on: April 27, 2022, 05:26:34 PM »
I keep going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth between Indy and Thunder for like 2 years now. Yesterday I stupidly put Thunders on an old deck that I wasn’t feeling and was blown away. Great session and everything felt easier than normal and I was convinced I was better on them.

Today I went out with both my setups and the margins were a lot thinner. Basically was doing the same shit on both setups and my Indy setup is a bit longer. In the end I have better pop on Indy and have mostly been on them for the better part of 8 months in some variation or another. So I made the rash decision to leave my Thunders at the spot. I kinda regret it but I also got suuuuper sick of the madness and in the end it’s so marginal that it’s probably me just second guessing myself on a bad day.

Amazing response. That’s one way to handle the madness: banish it.
Alternatively I rocked up to the spot with oh, 6 setups and proceeded to first try kickflip all of them (shittily) EXCEPT FOR THE SETUP THAT I SKATE NORMALLY. I have like skateboard gout or some shit. Kings disease

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #412 on: April 27, 2022, 05:53:15 PM »

Respect for that, way better than going crazy and having them laying around for nobody to use.(Like most of us do)
I'm guilty of banishing gear to my parents home I'm only visiting a few times a year in order to stop the madness temporarily.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • <3
« Reply #413 on: April 27, 2022, 08:36:25 PM »
Recent thunder gang here. Maybe it's because I finally bought trucks that actually fit my board but, they've been my favorite lately. Was on some ventures before but tried the magic carpet ride. On indys before that and I guess I liked them??

As I venture on buying different boards and such, it leaves me wanting to try other gear outside of thunders.

Anyone else feel like it's cool to have different gear for set ups? Trying to stick to one thing but it's hard!!
The chillest1

Paperclip20

« Reply #414 on: April 28, 2022, 05:32:09 AM »

You made the right move. If you hold yourself to only skating one setup at a time you'll be more consistent and save money. I'm skating my Thunders now till I hit axle then I'll switch to something else or get a new set.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #415 on: April 28, 2022, 05:45:00 AM »
I was hopping around on some truck madness this year but I think I'm going back to where I started with Thunder 149s. Set mine back up as I mentioned I was considering and my flatground immediately just clicked. My best years of skating have always been on Thunders so now that the wanderlust has settled, I don't feel any reason to change.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #416 on: April 28, 2022, 06:29:27 AM »
I keep telling myself that despite being old my best years of skating are yet to happen.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #417 on: April 28, 2022, 06:59:58 AM »
I keep telling myself that despite being old my best years of skating are yet to happen.

There is some truth to that, and it’s a useful statement, no good comes from hanging it up early.
I was at my physical best around 32, fell off of a cliff, athletically, at 35. Everyone is different, obvi.
I remember my gf asking me how much longer I’d skate, when I was 19 ish, and the feeling then was something like 23-24 was pushing it. Ha

Wizard0f0dds

« Reply #418 on: April 28, 2022, 07:00:52 AM »

Finally pulled the trigger and set this up last night. I ended up exchanging the 55mm classics I had for some 54mm OG Classics. Can't wait to go try it out after work! I hope the 14.5 WB will be manageable on Thunders, I loved this shape when I had an Alltimers on indys.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #419 on: April 28, 2022, 07:03:46 AM »

Finally pulled the trigger and set this up last night. I ended up exchanging the 55mm classics I had for some 54mm OG Classics. Can't wait to go try it out after work! I hope the 14.5 WB will be manageable on Thunders, I loved this shape when I had an Alltimers on indys.

Looks very nice!
For whatever it’s worth, I’m quite short and skate a 14.43 wb, with thunders, and prefer it.
Took awhile to adjust