Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 126568 times)

FGO925

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #720 on: September 23, 2022, 01:40:26 PM »
Meaning the Thunder aftermarket ones?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #721 on: September 23, 2022, 02:07:55 PM »
Bones, some Riptides, Indy conical, and Thunder aftermarket all fit Thunder the best since they use a conical lower bushing. You could ride a cylinder lower, but it will change the dynamic of the trucks.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #722 on: September 23, 2022, 04:49:00 PM »

Might just be in my head but I feel like it gives the truck stability?

Anyone else rock harder bushings but keep their trucks loose?

Yes I have definitely found this.

I use the Indy 92 duro conical bushings and they are more stable than the 90 stock, which also work well enough in Thunder trucks too when I tried them.

For Thunder if you did want to keep it brand appropriate the rebuild kits or the bushing tubes have the various duro options, including the 94 duro tube or 95 duro rebuild sets.

https://thundertrucks.com/catalog/fall22/14-th-fall-22-d1-cat-accesories.jpg

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #723 on: September 26, 2022, 05:03:38 AM »

Yes I have definitely found this.

I use the Indy 92 duro conical bushings and they are more stable than the 90 stock, which also work well enough in Thunder trucks too when I tried them.

For Thunder if you did want to keep it brand appropriate the rebuild kits or the bushing tubes have the various duro options, including the 94 duro tube or 95 duro rebuild sets.

https://thundertrucks.com/catalog/fall22/14-th-fall-22-d1-cat-accesories.jpg

I had the white (90a, so as soft as stock) bushings, but they felt way softer than the stock ones immediately. Tried boiling the stock orange 90a bushings and they still feel way harder. Has anyone else noticed this, or have I just got a serious case of madness going on?  :D

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #724 on: September 26, 2022, 05:47:50 AM »
Thunders work fine with barrel bushings. The boardside bushing is barely conical anyhow.

To keep geometry correct while playing with bushings of lower height I use flat washers under the boarside cupped washer to make up any difference. With a bushing to tall you can eliminate the boardside washer.

So that my 35lb son can turn on his Thunders I use Ace roadside cones as the boardside bottom bushing with a couple of flat washers for height and Indy soft red roadside without any washers on top.

When it comes to bushings, formula, height, shape, durometer, washers, lubrication are all factors to be played with.
I find stock thunders to be very stable with a good turn that can be muscled into. I prefer less stability the more I skate and have been swapping cupped washers for flat ones with stock bushings.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #725 on: September 26, 2022, 06:58:00 AM »
I had one set of white stock bushings that were super loose feeling and the washers on those trucks were also so soft that after 1 deck they had bent around the washer and there was an imprint on em. I had another set of white stocks that felt pretty normal.

I tried my friends stock 149 for a bit and they came with clear blue bushings and holy shit did they feel tight compared to my whites. I dunno if 149 or what but at the same thread tightness they felt quite stiff.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #726 on: September 27, 2022, 01:20:47 PM »
The white stock have always been softer feeling, dlx on this forum confirmed they’re the regular 90a but just feel softer…this was years ago tho.

The blue clear stocks are much firmer out of the gate than the whites tho…even the piss yellow and orange clears are that way.

Trying to find the new, Icey blues with decent shipping.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 02:33:43 PM by Xen »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #727 on: September 27, 2022, 01:22:38 PM »
I've had a similar experience with white and clear blue Thunder bushings. White have always been my preference but blue are just as good when broken in.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #728 on: September 27, 2022, 02:03:50 PM »
Thanks, I didn't know that was a thing.Will the blues break in to be the same as the whites?

If by Icy Blue you mean the new 94's I have a set I'm not using.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #729 on: September 27, 2022, 02:35:34 PM »
It’s like the bones conundrum, hards break in to be forever mediums.

I’m riding the stock blues for a minute now and they still feel firmer than the white stocks…

LebowskisRug

« Reply #730 on: September 27, 2022, 04:06:24 PM »
gotcha. maybe I should use my whites then. This is a new level of unforeseen madness.

I did just put 149 hangers on after 3 years on 148s. It never occurred to me that the narrowest deck I ride (DLX 8.25) still is an 8.38 in reality and I had no real reason to ride 148s.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #731 on: September 27, 2022, 04:11:56 PM »
Remindied me of the Foy 9C

https://youtu.be/UY8zmQuzIfE?t=2330

There's something to it...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 04:22:10 PM by Xen »

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #732 on: September 30, 2022, 12:12:16 PM »
Are thunder (and venture) still made in the US? Just curious, have had some minor faults on my recent thunder sets but nothing that i can notice when riding my boards…

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #733 on: September 30, 2022, 12:17:34 PM »
For the most part, yes. Other than the forged plates being made in China. Hangers and cast plates are US and assembled here as well. Hardware is Chinese sourced.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #734 on: September 30, 2022, 08:09:26 PM »
For the most part, yes. Other than the forged plates being made in China. Hangers and cast plates are US and assembled here as well. Hardware is Chinese sourced.

afaik thunders and ventures are still made at ermico
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #735 on: October 01, 2022, 04:52:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

afaik thunders and ventures are still made at ermico

For the most part, yes.

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #736 on: October 01, 2022, 08:49:30 AM »
I’ve never really been one to go down bushing swap rabbit hole, but I have a set of 147s that I just couldn’t get used to the stiffness of and wanted to get a little more surf out of. I know Thunders are not designed to feel surfy, they’re more mechanical and calculated in their turn by design… but I swapped out the bottom bushings in these with new Royal top bushings and wow, they feel so much better to me now. I’m getting a pretty deep and smooth turn for such a low truck, and somehow they don’t even bite that bad while still feeling quite like a Thunder. I guess it’s similar to an Ishod setup but a little less extreme since the Royal top is a good bit taller than the Thunder top. Also as an aside, always pack your pivot cups with wax before putting your trucks back together if you’re not running fancy aftermarket ones, it definitely also aids in freeing up the turn of any stiff feeling truck and I assume also minimizes wear and tear on the pivot cups.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #737 on: October 03, 2022, 04:42:46 PM »
I can't find the post (truck setups maybe?) but whoever put two bottom washers under bones on thunders, did it work out long term?

Set mine up like this and it was terribly tight..

LebowskisRug

« Reply #738 on: October 03, 2022, 06:02:50 PM »
I think those were Tensors in the setup thread or something. Seems common on r/skateboarding to do things like this.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #739 on: October 11, 2022, 12:17:47 PM »
anyone know of any 1/16" risers that fit thunders? i only know of the shock pads Ace makes, but I'm assuming those won't fit properly.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #740 on: October 11, 2022, 12:35:42 PM »
Your best bet would be to get some clear lexan or plastic, use spray glue to glue to your baseplate (it comes off in the future don't worry, then trim it using a sharp utility knife.

Badandoldskater

• Rep: 31
« Reply #741 on: October 12, 2022, 02:12:54 PM »
I wanna try some thunders, gonna order me the team hollows, what size conical full do you guys recommend? Gonna be mostly the street

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #742 on: October 12, 2022, 02:19:47 PM »
I wanna try some thunders, gonna order me the team hollows, what size conical full do you guys recommend? Gonna be mostly the street
I've always had luck with 54mm conical fulls although a lot of people say thats too much bite. I just wax the shit out of my wheel wells and it's fine. The wheelbite is what provides that sweet crook lock in I'm looking for anyways when I ride thunders.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #743 on: October 12, 2022, 03:48:15 PM »

I'm currently riding 57mm radials on standard thunders, no problem at all because the deck concave is quite steep.
54mm definitely works, maybe 56 depending on your deck.

Or buy whatever wheels you want and make some wheel wells, it's fun.

Badandoldskater

• Rep: 31
« Reply #744 on: October 12, 2022, 04:41:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm currently riding 57mm radials on standard thunders, no problem at all because the deck concave is quite steep.

I think my board is mellow, can you show me a pick of a your steep deck. Sounds very personal

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #745 on: October 12, 2022, 05:01:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think my board is mellow, can you show me a pick of a your steep deck. Sounds very personal

I'm not comfortable with deck pics sorry. Not just showing my curves to anyone online

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #746 on: October 13, 2022, 04:45:52 PM »
anyone know of any 1/16" risers that fit thunders? i only know of the shock pads Ace makes, but I'm assuming those won't fit properly.

The couple of brands of "shock pads" which are super thin soft rubber risers that I have were very easy to use a blade and lengthen the holes to fit nicely under the offset Thunder baseplates.

Another guy I know just cuts up bike inner tube for risers, which is just the right height for what you want and you can easily trim it to size, as well as having a lot of tube left over if you mess it up the first time.

Depending on where you are or what is close in the way of shops and access, any thin rubber sheeting will work, or even stiff cardboard like header cards for things you buy at the supermarket.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #747 on: October 15, 2022, 07:29:56 PM »
Your best bet would be to get some clear lexan or plastic, use spray glue to glue to your baseplate (it comes off in the future don't worry, then trim it using a sharp utility knife.

Expand Quote
[close]

The couple of brands of "shock pads" which are super thin soft rubber risers that I have were very easy to use a blade and lengthen the holes to fit nicely under the offset Thunder baseplates.

Another guy I know just cuts up bike inner tube for risers, which is just the right height for what you want and you can easily trim it to size, as well as having a lot of tube left over if you mess it up the first time.

Depending on where you are or what is close in the way of shops and access, any thin rubber sheeting will work, or even stiff cardboard like header cards for things you buy at the supermarket.

Thanks you two, informative as always. I was hoping to find something that worked "out of the box" but I guess messing with some rubber isn't the hardest thing. I typically wouldn't even want to use any type of riser since the height of thunders are perfect but the wheelbite is killing me.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #748 on: October 16, 2022, 01:18:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks you two, informative as always. I was hoping to find something that worked "out of the box" but I guess messing with some rubber isn't the hardest thing. I typically wouldn't even want to use any type of riser since the height of thunders are perfect but the wheelbite is killing me.

Get a deck with wheel wells. Perfect combo with Thunders.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #749 on: October 20, 2022, 11:07:54 AM »
I just got a set of titaniums, would those hangers work with a team baseplate to get some of the height back, or would it mess up the geo?

Get hungry on it!