Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 126602 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #750 on: October 20, 2022, 11:13:03 AM »
Team plates are 52mm and a +3.125 WB. Forged are 50.5 and a +3.25WB. Hangers can go in both if you are talking 148 and up.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #751 on: October 20, 2022, 11:27:19 AM »
Team plates are 52mm and a +3.125 WB. Forged are 50.5 and a +3.25WB. Hangers can go in both if you are talking 148 and up.
Yeah, 149s.  That's perfect thanks!

Get hungry on it!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #752 on: October 26, 2022, 09:42:16 AM »
Having a kind of annoying experience recently and not sure if I should contact DLX:

After a week or two of skating my top washer bends upwards significantly. I'm tightening them slightly beyond flush, but still no threads showing basically top of kingpin even with top of nyloc. Eventually there is an imprint of the kingpin nut and the trucks get noticeably looser so I then have to tighten a half turn and it gets worse. With the current washers I've had to do a full turn to keep them the same and it's just getting worse.

I got a second set of trucks when I switched to 149 and same thing is happening with those now too. I do a decent amount of slappies but nothing insane. I bought some generic cupped washers but apparently they were slightly too small and destroyed my top bushings.

I've never experienced this with another truck and don't wanna be having to constantly tighten and adjust my shit.

flintstagram

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #753 on: October 26, 2022, 10:11:11 AM »
Having a kind of annoying experience recently and not sure if I should contact DLX:

After a week or two of skating my top washer bends upwards significantly. I'm tightening them slightly beyond flush, but still no threads showing basically top of kingpin even with top of nyloc. Eventually there is an imprint of the kingpin nut and the trucks get noticeably looser so I then have to tighten a half turn and it gets worse. With the current washers I've had to do a full turn to keep them the same and it's just getting worse.

I got a second set of trucks when I switched to 149 and same thing is happening with those now too. I do a decent amount of slappies but nothing insane. I bought some generic cupped washers but apparently they were slightly too small and destroyed my top bushings.

I've never experienced this with another truck and don't wanna be having to constantly tighten and adjust my shit.

I’d contact them. If you’re in the US, I would insist they’ll send you some truck rebuild kits if nothing else.

That’s super weird though. I weigh 260lbs and do a fair amount of slappies, and grinds, and an overall hard on stuff as a result of my size, and I’ve never had that shit happen. I used to rock my shit pretty tight, but now I keep them looser, so I would think if it was going to happen I would have encountered it based on the wide variety of setups I’ve had. I rock the 151s, but I’ve had 149s as well and never had washer issues.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #754 on: October 26, 2022, 10:25:45 AM »
Bought a Twin tail on sale, so I guess I should buy new bushings to break it in even? Or should they not even out anyway?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #755 on: October 26, 2022, 10:28:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’d contact them. If you’re in the US, I would insist they’ll send you some truck rebuild kits if nothing else.

That’s super weird though. I weigh 260lbs and do a fair amount of slappies, and grinds, and an overall hard on stuff as a result of my size, and I’ve never had that shit happen. I used to rock my shit pretty tight, but now I keep them looser, so I would think if it was going to happen I would have encountered it based on the wide variety of setups I’ve had. I rock the 151s, but I’ve had 149s as well and never had washer issues.

It's super strange. I had a top bushing crack years ago from slappy crooking a lot but that's sorta to be expected and happened to me on Ventures as well.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #756 on: October 26, 2022, 11:02:30 AM »
that washer thing happened on my last set of ventures, not sure if it happened on my last set of thunders or other trucks. by the time I noticed the trucks were pretty ground down anyway so I just let it be.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #757 on: October 26, 2022, 11:42:41 PM »
Bought a Twin tail on sale, so I guess I should buy new bushings to break it in even? Or should they not even out anyway?

You could, or just swap your bushings around (just tops or bottoms); just get them as close as you can to the same tight/looseness, they'll sort themselves out.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #758 on: October 27, 2022, 07:40:40 AM »
Unless the bushings are cracked or you ride one truck way different than the other you prob won't notice as long as you just set them up the same. Urethane doesn't have memory properties in practical terms. The bushings would have to be really old and damaged to be drastically different. But a rebuild kit is <$10 if you want to be sure

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #759 on: October 27, 2022, 07:44:25 PM »
Unless the bushings are cracked or you ride one truck way different than the other you prob won't notice as long as you just set them up the same. Urethane doesn't have memory properties in practical terms. The bushings would have to be really old and damaged to be drastically different. But a rebuild kit is <$10 if you want to be sure

makes sense on paper but I think most skateboarders would agree, back and front trucks end up feeling pretty different.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #760 on: October 28, 2022, 12:04:17 AM »
People love placebos and I don't mind spending bucks for new bushings, but seemed like the poster was avoiding that.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #761 on: October 29, 2022, 09:33:57 AM »
Just broke my hanger in some 148 hollow light, do you guys know if that is something under warranty? I live in France so I don't know if dlxsf can do something, do you guys have any contact at dlx?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #762 on: October 29, 2022, 09:37:35 AM »
Just broke my hanger in some 148 hollow light, do you guys know if that is something under warranty? I live in France so I don't know if dlxsf can do something, do you guys have any contact at dlx?

http://ibb.co/fNMTJBg
http://ibb.co/Qbq4hc0
http://ibb.co/nszCmVy

Absolutely, just contact the shop you bought them from. They might switch them out right away or help you with the warranty claim.

Or they don't help you and then you fill out the claim on the thunder website.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #763 on: October 29, 2022, 09:43:35 AM »
I bought them more than 2 years ago, in a shop in Paris but don't live here anymore, I contacted deluxe on the thunder site, hope it works out tho...

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #764 on: October 29, 2022, 09:55:25 AM »

2 years of skateboarding? Might be best just to suck it up and purchase a new pair...

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #765 on: October 29, 2022, 11:06:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

2 years of skateboarding? Might be best just to suck it up and purchase a new pair...
I skate 2 to 3 times a month unless it's summer, so it's not that much (that would be 3 to 4 months of daily skating. The trucks had a lot of life. I contacted deluxe and will see what they say.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #766 on: October 29, 2022, 03:02:38 PM »
That’s gotta be under warranty. If you don’t hear back try to DM them on Instagram. Thunder usually responds there within a day or two. Best of luck to you!

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #767 on: October 29, 2022, 07:58:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I skate 2 to 3 times a month unless it's summer, so it's not that much (that would be 3 to 4 months of daily skating. The trucks had a lot of life. I contacted deluxe and will see what they say.

best of luck getting replacement trucks @Turtle Boy

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #768 on: October 31, 2022, 01:01:27 AM »
Thanks guy, I'll keep you guys updated.
I guess being from Europe is going to be a big issue, but it's a weird break, I don't even skate gaps, just flat and ledges and my weight is around 170-175 lbs...

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #769 on: October 31, 2022, 09:50:12 AM »
That’s gotta be under warranty. If you don’t hear back try to DM them on Instagram. Thunder usually responds there within a day or two. Best of luck to you!
[email protected] handles warranty issues, hit him direct if you haven't heard back

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #770 on: October 31, 2022, 10:47:37 AM »
I feel your pain, it looks like you were having a lot of fun on those 148’s! I hope they get you sorted out.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #771 on: October 31, 2022, 12:08:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
[email protected] handles warranty issues, hit him direct if you haven't heard back
thanks! I'll wait for a couple days then hit him up.

I feel your pain, it looks like you were having a lot of fun on those 148’s! I hope they get you sorted out.

Yeah really great trucks, i've put indys from my cruiser set up while I try to sort it up, but the difference in weight is a big issue

Badandoldskater

• Rep: 31
« Reply #772 on: November 04, 2022, 07:45:17 PM »
So I just got some team hollows and just riding around the rear truck sort of sticks to one side, the bushing doesn't rebound. When I flip the board over the truck is angled, maybe I tightened them too much ? Sorry new to this

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #773 on: November 04, 2022, 07:48:05 PM »
So I just got some team hollows and just riding around the rear truck sort of sticks to one side, the bushing doesn't rebound. When I flip the board over the truck is angled, maybe I tightened them too much ? Sorry new to this
That's just the stock bushing saying hi. For real tho, thunder bushings take forever to break in for me.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #774 on: November 05, 2022, 03:18:19 PM »

Some wax shavings in the pivot cup should help prevent sticking.

shpongle

• Rep: 200
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #775 on: November 07, 2022, 04:17:32 AM »
I been riding ace and indy for 4 years now. I never tried thunders. Should i go hollow lights 8.25 trucks like mark suciu?

IpathCats

« Reply #776 on: November 07, 2022, 04:48:57 AM »
I been riding ace and indy for 4 years now. I never tried thunders. Should i go hollow lights 8.25 trucks like mark suciu?

dont swap unless you really hate your current pop feel, and are ok with a worse turn and grind. If you ride your trucks loose and like 54mm+ wheels, i would not recommend.

Thunders are good trucks, many people's truck of choice, but needless swapping leads to madness, trust me, I've been there.

Indy mids or forged would give you a closer to thunder feel if you're used to standards/hollows, while still being more familiar to you.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #777 on: November 07, 2022, 08:27:25 AM »

I can transition between Ace and Thunder easy enough but I ride 8.75" truck mostly. go for it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #778 on: November 07, 2022, 09:26:34 AM »
Don't get hollow lights, get a cast variant. Hollow lights are a lot lighter and significantly lower and it'll be more jarring. I like Thunders and I still don't skate those.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #779 on: November 07, 2022, 12:01:55 PM »
Don't get hollow lights, get a cast variant. Hollow lights are a lot lighter and significantly lower and it'll be more jarring. I like Thunders and I still don't skate those.

If you do get non-cast baseplates then I'd definitely recommend picking up some of those Real 3 ply risers as well. Going from Indy standards to the Thunder hollow light height difference fucked me up and I got smoked from the wheelbite.