Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 133444 times)

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 456
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #780 on: November 07, 2022, 12:09:12 PM »
Thunder standard or “team” are roughly the same weight as an Indy forged hollow so the weight savings will be noticeable if coming from a standard independent. I have the forged plates and although I don’t struggle with wheel bite ( 150 lbs) I still wish they were a little higher just for my own balance reasons. So I second the recommendation for standard cast plates.

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #781 on: November 09, 2022, 07:33:14 AM »
would you say thunder are one of the better trucks if you like tighter trucks?

Richard Skidder

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #782 on: November 09, 2022, 08:34:19 AM »
I’d say easily the middle ground between an Indy and a Venture. You can get them fairly tight without having to crank them down though.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #783 on: November 09, 2022, 09:50:08 AM »
My buddy runs Bones Hards in his Thunders. I stepped on his board and couldn't really get it to turn at my weight, so yah- they can be fuckin cranked.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #784 on: November 09, 2022, 05:49:03 PM »

Yes. but why not just go for Venture at that point.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #785 on: November 09, 2022, 06:13:56 PM »

I would say thunders are the best if you like stable trucks. I really like medium to loose trucks. I have the nut on my kingpins nearly hanging off and they’re still super stable at center and they don’t feel loose and surfy the way indy or ace does. I always feel confident setting up for tricks but I can still push into deep turns if I need to

IpathCats

« Reply #786 on: November 10, 2022, 05:03:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Because you prefer a better grind.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #787 on: November 10, 2022, 06:12:46 AM »
I’m setting up an 8.5 Hockey board and after a stable truck to fit it. Mostlynrode indys, moved to aces for the carve but for this set up I want something stable that will help my pop while learning flips etc.

Do I just tighten some Indy Hollows, or try Thunders? Want some light trucks.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #788 on: November 10, 2022, 06:15:53 AM »
Thunders is the correct answer but I think the Indy’s will do.  Thunders help balance out the steep kicks.  Thunders are lower and lighter so it takes less effort to pop. 

IpathCats

« Reply #789 on: November 10, 2022, 06:19:27 AM »
I’m setting up an 8.5 Hockey board and after a stable truck to fit it. Mostlynrode indys, moved to aces for the carve but for this set up I want something stable that will help my pop while learning flips etc.

If you already have indy hollows try them first, because youre used to them. But if you're set on picking up something new, thunders sound like what you're looking for.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #790 on: November 10, 2022, 07:12:14 AM »
my friends wife hit me up to build him a complete for christmas so i put thunder hi's on. he doesnt like super tight trucks, just in between. I personally am not huge on Low trucks but maybe looking back i should have done Low's. i dont think he will notice the difference, im pretty sure he is coming from Indy's so maybe it will feel better for him to transition. I just wanted to get him something different than Indy's that was still quality. did not want to go to Ace's cause that would have been too loose. Didnt want to go Ventures cause that would be too tight.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #791 on: November 10, 2022, 08:09:06 AM »
my friends wife hit me up to build him a complete for christmas so i put thunder hi's on. he doesnt like super tight trucks, just in between. I personally am not huge on Low trucks but maybe looking back i should have done Low's. i dont think he will notice the difference, im pretty sure he is coming from Indy's so maybe it will feel better for him to transition. I just wanted to get him something different than Indy's that was still quality. did not want to go to Ace's cause that would have been too loose. Didnt want to go Ventures cause that would be too tight.
thunders are great and hope he enjoys them.
just so you know for future reference, thunders doesn't make lows anymore > https://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/
compared to other truck brands like indy for example, thunder's standard height is in the mid to low height range

Richard Skidder

« Reply #792 on: November 10, 2022, 11:22:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you already have indy hollows try them first, because youre used to them. But if you're set on picking up something new, thunders sound like what you're looking for.

Right before I went to Thunder I was on Indy forged hollow and I was using the blue aftermarket Indy bushings. It made them more stable and worked well. You could try that before going straight for new trucks if you’re hyped on your grooves. I ended up getting Thunder for the exact reasons you mentioned and I love them.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #793 on: November 10, 2022, 12:21:33 PM »

as everyone else said, I would give the thunders a shot. The indy's will work but the thunder geo seems to work with the super steep kicks and short WB on FA/Hockey boards.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #794 on: November 10, 2022, 01:35:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Because you prefer a better grind.
Or because you can't pop because of the steep pop angle.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #795 on: November 10, 2022, 05:02:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Right before I went to Thunder I was on Indy forged hollow and I was using the blue aftermarket Indy bushings. It made them more stable and worked well. You could try that before going straight for new trucks if you’re hyped on your grooves. I ended up getting Thunder for the exact reasons you mentioned and I love them.

All my Indy’s and aces are too wide for an 8.5 so I’ve gotta buy freshies anyway. The kick isn’t too crazy on this hockey but man that nose is a honker!

Thanks for the tips. Might go thunders. Next is what type.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #796 on: November 10, 2022, 05:35:48 PM »
Even standard thunders are significantly lighter than any Indy or ace. Maybe just start with some
Team Editions or lights and go from there

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #797 on: November 10, 2022, 06:26:05 PM »
Even standard thunders are significantly lighter than any Indy or ace. Maybe just start with some

Cool thanks. What’s the deal with the team editions?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #798 on: November 10, 2022, 06:45:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Cool thanks. What’s the deal with the team editions?

Team editions are taller, they have a thicker baseplate. Any lights, hollow lights, titaniums have forged baseplates and are lower. I think that’s the biggest difference but I’m sure someone else knows better than me.

https://www.thundertrucks.com/truck-styles/

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #799 on: November 10, 2022, 06:48:06 PM »
Yah I agree team hollow is my first choice but just raws are a really good value truck I think.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #800 on: November 10, 2022, 09:13:38 PM »
Thunder cast are all the same height, forged are all the same height. Team plates are not taller than other cast plates. That page is super inaccurate.

Cast plates 148 and up: 52mm
161 cast: 53mm
147 cast: 50mm

Forged plates make each 1mm lower

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #801 on: November 11, 2022, 04:00:08 AM »

I forget who said it, but someone had mentioned before that the "Truck Styles" page would be correct if they actually said it was for 147s only, which was the truck width they used for all their model pics and videos.

The other page in that area actually has everything listed correctly, specifically the width to the heights, as @LebowskisRug  said above which vary as the trucks get wider, they get taller.

I was wondering about the new 181s, but as they have there, same as the 161s at 53mm in height.

To make it very clear, the hangers are the one mold, just the baseplates that are different in height from cast / team to forged:

Cast / team baseplates
143, 145 and 147 at 50mm
148, 149 and 151 at 52mm
161 and 181 at 53mm

Forged baseplates
145 and 147 at 49mm
148, 149 and 151 at 51mm
161 at 52mm

https://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/

I also found it interesting how they change the bushing colours over the years, as they used to be yellow, then some green, some teal, the 148s specifically orange when they came out, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #802 on: November 11, 2022, 05:26:18 AM »

I forget who said it, but someone had mentioned before that the "Truck Styles" page would be correct if they actually said it was for 147s only, which was the truck width they used for all their model pics and videos.

The other page in that area actually has everything listed correctly, specifically the width to the heights, as @LebowskisRug  said above which vary as the trucks get wider, they get taller.

I was wondering about the new 181s, but as they have there, same as the 161s at 53mm in height.

To make it very clear, the hangers are the one mold, just the baseplates that are different in height from cast / team to forged:

Cast / team baseplates
143, 145 and 147 at 50mm
148, 149 and 151 at 52mm
161 and 181 at 53mm

Forged baseplates
145 and 147 at 49mm
148, 149 and 151 at 51mm
161 at 52mm

I also found it interesting how they change the bushing colours over the years, as they used to be yellow, then some green, some teal, the 148s specifically orange when they came out, etc.

Y'all should put this at the top like that awesome Indy thread  8)

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #803 on: November 11, 2022, 06:54:56 AM »
weird, on Thinkempire it lists the 149 specificially as a "HI"
Sounds like it will be great for that hockey board anyway

Richard Skidder

« Reply #804 on: November 11, 2022, 08:16:23 AM »
Expand Quote

Cast / team baseplates
143, 145 and 147 at 50mm
148, 149 and 151 at 52mm
161 and 181 at 53mm

Forged baseplates
145 and 147 at 49mm
148, 149 and 151 at 51mm
161 at 52mm

[close]

I am more than happy to add this to the first post. I do need help though. I know how to quote for the purpose of responding ( like this response I’m typing here ), but I don’t know how to quote and post to a different page.

708Skater

« Reply #805 on: November 11, 2022, 09:09:38 AM »
I’m seeing Thunder 147s for $35 & Thunder lights 147 for $50. I really want lights but is it worth that little more or I’m just wasting my money? Sorry for the amateur question I’ve only rode 139 standards & wanted to switch it up.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #806 on: November 11, 2022, 09:59:59 AM »
I’m seeing Thunder 147s for $35 & Thunder lights 147 for $50. I really want lights but is it worth that little more or I’m just wasting my money? Sorry for the amateur question I’ve only rode 139 standards & wanted to switch it up.

In my experience as well as what I've seen on youtube titanium/hollows are a few grams less than standards. Some people swear by hollows. Ive ridden all the thunders and I love the team originals.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

LebowskisRug

« Reply #807 on: November 11, 2022, 11:18:28 AM »
I would never buy forged plate Thunders again.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #808 on: November 11, 2022, 02:08:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Cast / team baseplates
143, 145 and 147 at 50mm
148, 149 and 151 at 52mm
161 and 181 at 53mm

Forged baseplates
145 and 147 at 49mm
148, 149 and 151 at 51mm
161 at 52mm

[close]

[close]

I am more than happy to add this to the first post. I do need help though. I know how to quote for the purpose of responding ( like this response I’m typing here ), but I don’t know how to quote and post to a different page.

If you are on anything that you can copy, eg computer CTRL + A to select all and then CTRL + C to copy, go back to the post you want to edit and CTRL + V to paste, but if you are on something else, phone or mac, they have different ways of doing things.

I don't need credit or quote on that either - you can just copy the text and paste it in there easily enough to your first post, as half of it came from others and the rest is from the Thunder site.

Sometimes I do wonder how many people would check first post / pages of threads anyway, but it is always good to have the info available.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #809 on: November 11, 2022, 02:17:39 PM »
weird, on Thinkempire it lists the 149 specificially as a "HI"
Sounds like it will be great for that hockey board anyway

Thunder used to make both the normal / Hi truck and a low version, so I would imagine some places would still use that, even though now they only have the normal or one version of truck and just have cast / team or forged baseplates as the options, as well as regular or hollow kingpins and axles.

Unless you have seen them or can directly compare, it is hard to get an idea of exactly what they are like, but this screen shot of this video is a good example anyway.