Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 130638 times)

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 443
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #810 on: November 11, 2022, 05:43:27 PM »
Thanks for the info @Mbrimson88

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #811 on: November 13, 2022, 05:33:53 AM »
Team plates are 52mm and a +3.125 WB. Forged are 50.5 and a +3.25WB. Hangers can go in both if you are talking 148 and up.

Hey Lebowski, I've been mad busy and not on here much just catching up.

I wanted to follow up on the second part of your comment - I know 148+ are higher, but I assumed it was all in the hanger. Are there differences in the baseplate 148+ as well? I always assumed thunder hangers and baseplates were compatible regardless of size like Ventures are.

Bob Loblaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #812 on: November 14, 2022, 07:18:30 AM »
Sorry if i missed it, but has anyone tried thunder hangars on venture baseplates?
I like how thunders grind, but tailslides on the venture baseplates are the best

Richard Skidder

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #813 on: November 14, 2022, 10:52:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Team plates are 52mm and a +3.125 WB. Forged are 50.5 and a +3.25WB. Hangers can go in both if you are talking 148 and up.
[close]

I wanted to follow up on the second part of your comment - I know 148+ are higher, but I assumed it was all in the hanger. Are there differences in the baseplate 148+ as well? I always assumed thunder hangers and baseplates were compatible regardless of size like Ventures are.

Height difference across sizes with the same baseplate is in the hanger. For example: a 147 standard cast will be lower than a 148 cast and you can interchange hangers and baseplates.
A forged base is lower due to thinner material which would make a 147 forged lower than a 147 cast. Again with forged the baseplate is interchangeable with all hanger sizes and the height of the axle will rise with each wider hanger you switch to.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #814 on: November 14, 2022, 10:53:11 AM »
Sorry if i missed it, but has anyone tried thunder hangars on venture baseplates?
I like how thunders grind, but tailslides on the venture baseplates are the best

It's not an ideal fit but it works fine

Richard Skidder

« Reply #815 on: November 14, 2022, 11:02:57 AM »
I updated the first post with a link directly to Thunder’s size chart. The chart I linked includes height variation for all sizes in cast and forged.
The chart is helpful because it limits confusion and makes for an easier reference. I’m linking it here as well:

https://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/

IpathCats

« Reply #816 on: November 14, 2022, 11:30:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ish Cepeda runs them like this, I think some other pros do as well.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #817 on: November 14, 2022, 01:18:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My comment was unclear. 148-151 are the same size, above that and the hangers get taller by 1mm

LebowskisRug

« Reply #818 on: November 14, 2022, 01:21:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

False

Source:

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 309
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #819 on: November 14, 2022, 02:49:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i can't imagine any pros doing this lol it seems illegal and i wouldn't want to be caught doing this

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #820 on: November 14, 2022, 03:23:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
i can't imagine any pros doing this lol it seems illegal and i wouldn't want to be caught doing this

I remember people saying Lucas Puig used to do that. I tried putting thunder hollow hangars on venture forged baseplates and couldn't quite figure out the bushings. Maybe venture standard plates might fit better, but I'm not gonna bother trying it

IpathCats

« Reply #821 on: November 14, 2022, 08:27:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I remember people saying Lucas Puig used to do that. I tried putting thunder hollow hangars on venture forged baseplates and couldn't quite figure out the bushings. Maybe venture standard plates might fit better, but I'm not gonna bother trying it

A handful of people do. Deluxe owns both companies so who really cares.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #822 on: November 14, 2022, 09:39:27 PM »
Maybe they used to but a cursory perusal of their social media and the setup video above suggest they don't anymore. Maybe for older versions it was a hack that worked when everything was lower? I can't see why anyone would do that. Yah, more baseplate, but I can't see anyone at that level caring or not just grabbing some wax.

IpathCats

« Reply #823 on: November 15, 2022, 07:02:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

False

Source:

I'll take that L i guess, it was discussed somewhere else on here. Guess you cant believe everything you read on SLAP, im shocked. Maybe he was at one point or something idk?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #824 on: November 15, 2022, 07:26:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

False

Source:
[close]

I'll take that L i guess, it was discussed somewhere else on here. Guess you cant believe everything you read on SLAP, im shocked. Maybe he was at one point or something idk?

I remember reading that as well. He and another skater, Johnny something (wears dunks, lots of china footage).
Seems extreme. But then you have Koston drilling the baseplates sooo

IpathCats

« Reply #825 on: November 15, 2022, 07:30:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

False

Source:
[close]

[close]

I remember reading that as well. He and another skater, Johnny something (wears dunks, lots of china footage).

? ... go on.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #826 on: November 15, 2022, 08:04:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

False

Source:
[close]

[close]

[close]

? ... go on.

This is on ventures, but if you look at a screenshot of kostons board, the holes in the baseplate for the bolts, are not stock

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #827 on: November 15, 2022, 08:38:58 AM »
why would you wnat to change the position of the holes on the baseplate?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #828 on: November 15, 2022, 08:41:02 AM »

Changes the axle position/wb. I think…?

IpathCats

« Reply #829 on: November 15, 2022, 09:25:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Changes the axle position/wb. I think…?

Yea, you could only shorten it though since i doubt there would be room on the baseplate for the bottom bolts to move farther down.

interesting.

that would basically negate the baseplate slide on ventures though, would deff bring your wheels closer to the edge and cause the drag that many people complain about (and many others have no issue with).

Since it would be easy for him to get a board with whatever WB he likes, I can only assume he likes the wheel drag of thunders on nose/tail slides, but maybe he prefers the kingpin clearance of ventures?

I wonder if he does both trucks or just one?

do not let this spill into the madness or truck setups threads lol.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #830 on: November 15, 2022, 10:30:15 AM »
It doesn't negate the slide at all. The plate still sticks out beyond the wheels. The problem with Thunders is that the entire plate is biased toward the front of the deck, but the hanger isn't. Redrilling any other truck doesn't introduce that bias. Plus there is more metal beyond the pivot cup and it angles downwards at a gentler angle/extends further beyond the back bolts. It seems he uses a 1/4" c-c offset which makes them the same WB as an Indy. Seems kinda cool actually.

IpathCats

« Reply #831 on: November 15, 2022, 10:34:42 AM »
It doesn't negate the slide at all. The plate still sticks out beyond the wheels. The problem with Thunders is that the entire plate is biased toward the front of the deck, but the hanger isn't. Redrilling any other truck doesn't introduce that bias. Plus there is more metal beyond the pivot cup and it angles downwards at a gentler angle/extends further beyond the back bolts. It seems he uses a 1/4" c-c offset which makes them the same WB as an Indy. Seems kinda cool actually.

Yea, true, that makes sense.

He was on indy for a while. seems like he should just ride them again haha

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #832 on: November 15, 2022, 10:46:57 AM »
I'm on the Thunder hollow lights w/ forged base and I don't feel like I have issues sliding my nose and tail slides?
Is that why people don't like them? I've been riding Thunders exclusively for several years so maybe I'm just used to it?

IpathCats

« Reply #833 on: November 15, 2022, 10:49:42 AM »
I'm on the Thunder hollow lights w/ forged base and I don't feel like I have issues sliding my nose and tail slides?
Is that why people don't like them? I've been riding Thunders exclusively for several years so maybe I'm just used to it?

Its just a difference in technique. some would say that thunders force you to use proper technique since you're not relying on the baseplate to slide and you actually have to be completely on top of them for them to work well.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #834 on: November 15, 2022, 11:06:02 AM »

I've found that there are certain ledges I can't nose/tailslide with ventures but thunders always work without problems. Never the other way around, thunders work even if the ledge has small gaps, chunky pieces or super sharp edges where the venture baseplate gets stuck. Currently on ventures but gonna switch back soon and I'm hyped for the slides again.

I don't really get it because I was easily able to nose/tailslide these same ledges on aces, but always get stuck with my ventures.

(Smooth concrete ledges with ventures is amazing though)

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #835 on: November 15, 2022, 01:52:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

A handful of people do. Deluxe owns both companies so who really cares.
I don't know but this revelation and the pair of ventures I have collecting dust on a shelf in my garage is making me think I need to spend some time in the gear madness support thread before I relapse.

Get hungry on it!

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #836 on: November 20, 2022, 02:24:59 AM »
I would never buy forged plate Thunders again.
How come?

skatebruh

• Rep: 30
« Reply #837 on: November 20, 2022, 07:26:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
How come?
Not OP, but my forged 147s gave me way too much wheelbite without risers on 52mm wheels.

It would be fine with 50mm wheels or risers or cast baseplates or even forged 148s because the 148 hangers are taller.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #838 on: November 20, 2022, 08:39:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
How come?

I just don't see a point personally. Thunders are already pretty light and I don't want a lower "high" truck. I like to ride 52-53mm wheels and that extra 1 or 1.5Mm is nice even if it's just mental. I don't notice the WB difference much, but it's not a feature I seek out either. If I want a lighter Thunder I can just get hollows.

PrairieSkater

« Reply #839 on: November 20, 2022, 11:20:47 PM »
49.78mm does seem very short for a truck. This is why I hopped on this thread before checking out my cart.
But apparently TJ skates the 147s hollow lights in the lastest thunder ad. (Expand photo for truck details)
I guess it works well for some people.