Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 126586 times)

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #840 on: November 21, 2022, 04:08:45 AM »
49.78mm does seem very short for a truck. This is why I hopped on this thread before checking out my cart.
But apparently TJ skates the 147s hollow lights in the lastest thunder ad. (Expand photo for truck details)
I guess it works well for some people.
Ishod skates 147s as well, pretty sure a lot of pros do. I’m on a set right now with a kreper inverted kingpin (cast plates) and they are great.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #841 on: November 21, 2022, 06:46:58 AM »
Just because the ad is there doesn't mean it's what he skates necessarily. Sometimes they give a pro a popular truck size to sell more of that size.

Ishod rides 147 with risers and packed with washers in the axle. Basically hacking together a 148, but it works for him.

I'm not saying forged plates are objectively bad nor are hollow trucks, just that for me it's really not an added bonus. My Titanium lights were basically 100g lighter each than an Indy Standard, which adds up to .44lb and isn't insubstantial.

FROTHY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #842 on: November 21, 2022, 08:01:29 AM »
Just so I'm getting this right, Thunder describes their cast baseplates as "team", but often makes pro model trucks with the cast baseplate, right? e.g.:

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #843 on: November 21, 2022, 08:04:14 AM »
Correct

PrairieSkater

« Reply #844 on: November 21, 2022, 08:30:10 AM »
Maybe. I checked the ads & the riders setup videos and they seem to matchup. I just wanted to make sure about the 147s though.

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #845 on: November 21, 2022, 06:03:11 PM »
Maybe. I checked the ads & the riders setup videos and they seem to matchup. I just wanted to make sure about the 147s though.

I’d say if you are interested, and like 8-8.25 decks, give them a shot. I like 147s a lot on the girl g008 shape (8”)

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #846 on: November 21, 2022, 06:32:11 PM »
Just here to remind the gods that Ishod skates 147s and he skates an 8.38. Use that info as you please.

I personally find it amazing since he skates huge shit whether its street or transition

IpathCats

« Reply #847 on: November 21, 2022, 07:17:01 PM »
Just here to remind the gods that Ishod skates 147s and he skates an 8.38. Use that info as you please.

I personally find it amazing since he skates huge shit whether its street or transition

Same.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #848 on: November 21, 2022, 07:48:23 PM »
when you got it you got it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

LebowskisRug

« Reply #849 on: November 21, 2022, 09:24:25 PM »

Risers and 3-4 washers inside each wheel he's basically on a weird 148.

In his setup video Ish Cepeda said he's riding Jamie Foy's 149 but normally rides 147, Julian Lewis said he rides 148 because they are 8.38, and Suciu thinks he hits his wheel pushing on 149. Pros say a lot of stuff and I often wonder if they know any of the differences between the gear.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #850 on: November 21, 2022, 10:39:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In his setup video Ish Cepeda said he's riding Jamie Foy's 149 but normally rides 147, Julian Lewis said he rides 148 because they are 8.38, and Suciu thinks he hits his wheel pushing on 149. Pros say a lot of stuff and I often wonder if they know any of the differences between the gear.

Watched a Torey Pudwill setup video the other day where he said he likes wider wheels because having more surface area makes them slide faster…

Thunder has enough varied offerings that you never know what explanation/description you’re going to get from pros I feel like

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #851 on: November 21, 2022, 11:40:31 PM »
Shane O'Neil rides 147 on a 8.25.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #852 on: November 22, 2022, 01:39:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That’s gotta be under warranty. If you don’t hear back try to DM them on Instagram. Thunder usually responds there within a day or two. Best of luck to you!
[close]
[email protected] handles warranty issues, hit him direct if you haven't heard back
[close]
thanks! I'll wait for a couple days then hit him up.

Expand Quote
I feel your pain, it looks like you were having a lot of fun on those 148’s! I hope they get you sorted out.

[close]

Yeah really great trucks, i've put indys from my cruiser set up while I try to sort it up, but the difference in weight is a big issue

I just received the replacement trucks. Cameron at Dlxsf and V7 were really helpful. I have to admit that the DLX customer service is the best I've seen even outside of skateboarding.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 05:07:44 AM by Turtle Boy »

IpathCats

« Reply #853 on: November 22, 2022, 05:36:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Watched a Torey Pudwill setup video the other day where he said he likes wider wheels because having more surface area makes them slide faster…

Thunder has enough varied offerings that you never know what explanation/description you’re going to get from pros I feel like

Torey looks like a guy that wouldn't have the strongest grasp on concepts like friction and physics

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #854 on: November 22, 2022, 05:55:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Torey looks like a guy that wouldn't have the strongest grasp on concepts like friction and physics

As somewhat of an actual physicist, he's right

Richard Skidder

« Reply #855 on: November 22, 2022, 06:51:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That’s gotta be under warranty. If you don’t hear back try to DM them on Instagram. Thunder usually responds there within a day or two. Best of luck to you!
[close]
[email protected] handles warranty issues, hit him direct if you haven't heard back
[close]
thanks! I'll wait for a couple days then hit him up.

Expand Quote
I feel your pain, it looks like you were having a lot of fun on those 148’s! I hope they get you sorted out.

[close]

Yeah really great trucks, i've put indys from my cruiser set up while I try to sort it up, but the difference in weight is a big issue
[close]

I just received the replacement trucks. Cameron at Dlxsf and V7 were really helpful. I have to admit that the DLX customer service is the best I've seen even outside of skateboarding.

I’m glad you got sorted out, I hope to see those in the scrape report soon!

IpathCats

« Reply #856 on: November 22, 2022, 07:49:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

As somewhat of an actual physicist, he's right

Well color me wrong then I suppose. I always figured a smaller wheel with very round edges would slide fastest because there would be less friction?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #857 on: November 22, 2022, 09:17:35 PM »
It can depend on the surface you're sliding.

Also, some wheel nerds posit that a wider contact patch is harder to break into a slide but will slide better once sliding.

Lots of variables.

froufroufox

• Rep: 31
« Reply #858 on: November 23, 2022, 03:45:08 AM »
sorry for the prolly dumb question but i’m looking at the hollow lights and if i’m getting an 8.125 deck, should i get 147s or 148s?? i mostly skate low impact manuals and ledges. thnx

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #859 on: November 23, 2022, 03:56:19 AM »
sorry for the prolly dumb question but i’m looking at the hollow lights and if i’m getting an 8.125 deck, should i get 147s or 148s?? i mostly skate low impact manuals and ledges. thnx

It's okay to ask. 147 are 8.0 and 148 are 8.25

Decide if you want slightly wider trucks or slightly wider board and pick. Personally I like my board being slightly wider so I would go 147.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #860 on: November 23, 2022, 04:07:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Decide if you want slightly wider trucks or slightly wider board and pick. Personally I like my board being slightly wider so I would go 147.

Been with you on that for the last 12 years until recently....8.125 with 147s was an allround great setup- just changed because i needed change after all them years!

BUT 148s will work on an 8.125 too....same as a lot of guys riding 8.25 boards with 149/ 8.5 wide trucks before the 148/ 8.25 trucks came out from thunder, indy and so on.....

you could also go with the 147s and classic wheels or some with a wider surface- that might feel like less overhang. or just tighten your trucks a bit if it feels too surfy!

Since thunders feel kinda loose stock and are low they can feel a lil unstable at times- at least for me....oh god where am i going with this? Did anybody even ask?

Sorry.... :(

froufroufox

• Rep: 31
« Reply #861 on: November 23, 2022, 04:24:09 AM »
thanks for the replies :-) think ima go with the 147s!

Richard Skidder

« Reply #862 on: November 23, 2022, 05:27:50 AM »
Something else to consider is kingpin clearance. There’s a bit more clearance on the 148 than the 147.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #863 on: November 23, 2022, 08:56:33 AM »
I tend to buy based on what you plan on skating….if you’re an 8-8.125 guy…147s no question.  If you’re a 8.125 guy but would consider a 8.25, I’d go 148….for a second skating a few years back felt like the 8 was going to be deleted so,I sized up….now they are pretty available again.

I find grinding on wider trucks just feels more comfortable, but smaller trucks feel like they roll over a bit easier. 

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #864 on: November 23, 2022, 09:10:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Since thunders feel kinda loose stock and are low they can feel a lil unstable at times- at least for me....oh god where am i going with this? Did anybody even ask?

Me and my last pair of "kingpin nuts barely hanging on and still tight af" thunders were wondering if we could live in your reality for a bit.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #865 on: November 23, 2022, 09:19:34 AM »
I always take the bottom washer of, then nut flush to make them turn right. I never found thunders loose, but it´s been a couple of years.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #866 on: November 23, 2022, 10:47:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Me and my last pair of "kingpin nuts barely hanging on and still tight af" thunders were wondering if we could live in your reality for a bit.

Yeah sometimes I wonder if people just stand on their new trucks for 1min and then decide to switch bushings. Let them break in, they're getting so much harder. Too hard in fact.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #867 on: November 23, 2022, 11:51:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

What a wonderful reality that would be, no?

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #868 on: November 23, 2022, 12:02:01 PM »
I fucking hate wheelbite but thunder 149 standard on 1/8 risers and 55+ wheels is such an amazing combo for any type of deck.

The height comes out close to an indy or maybe taller but it doesnt matter since the trucks are so light the pop feel isnt really affected, and the control is so nice on switch tricks compared to any other cast truck (except maybe ventures but I fucking hate their feel now)

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #869 on: November 24, 2022, 04:02:23 AM »
I fucking hate wheelbite but thunder 149 standard on 1/8 risers and 55+ wheels is such an amazing combo for any type of deck.

The height comes out close to an indy or maybe taller but it doesnt matter since the trucks are so light the pop feel isnt really affected, and the control is so nice on switch tricks compared to any other cast truck (except maybe ventures but I fucking hate their feel now)

So true, thunders and risers work so well together. Getting the itch to set my 151s back up on 1/8 risers after running ventures for the past year or so.