Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 126590 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #870 on: November 24, 2022, 12:42:15 PM »
Yo I just want to break the news that titaniums have hit europe again after 2 years of waiting.
Just saw them on freedomskateshop.at

They're even on sale

LebowskisRug

« Reply #871 on: November 24, 2022, 07:09:12 PM »
When Slap is constantly bragging about loose trucks I just think back to the Busenitz Bunt episode when they ask him what the worst trend is and he reponds: "people who ride their trucks too loose" and rails on weak of a flex that is.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #872 on: November 25, 2022, 09:02:37 AM »
When Slap is constantly bragging about loose trucks I just think back to the Busenitz Bunt episode when they ask him what the worst trend is and he reponds: "people who ride their trucks too loose" and rails on weak of a flex that is.

Totally agree. It’s for uninteresting skaters. He’s also claimed Daewon as his favorite skater. I dramatically prefer Daewon pre ridiculous trucks.
Anyways. Overly loose trucks are wack.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #873 on: November 25, 2022, 09:06:22 AM »
Matt Rodriguez "unitnteresting?"

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #874 on: November 25, 2022, 10:52:34 AM »

Matt Rodriguez can actually skate well. Trucks that are too loose can be just as bad as trucks that are too tight in the wrong hands. It can hinder your abilities. I personally like to skate my trucks loose. It helps me with pinching grinds and setting up for flip tricks

Thunders used to come looser. I know they say that they still use 90a stock bushings, but something isn’t the same. It’s when they made the switch from the green to the blue bushings. There was a slight tweak in the design around 2014ish if memory serves me right and that might’ve been what changed things. They’re still the best truck imo
fuck you bama

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #875 on: November 25, 2022, 05:01:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Matt Rodriguez can actually skate well. Trucks that are too loose can be just as bad as trucks that are too tight in the wrong hands. It can hinder your abilities. I personally like to skate my trucks loose. It helps me with pinching grinds and setting up for flip tricks

Exactly. Have your trucks set to a way that's conducive to your style and approach.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #876 on: November 26, 2022, 04:32:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunders used to come looser. I know they say that they still use 90a stock bushings, but something isn’t the same. It’s when they made the switch from the green to the blue bushings. There was a slight tweak in the design around 2014ish if memory serves me right and that might’ve been what changed things. They’re still the best truck imo

Damn, I swear they got looser over recent years. I used to rock mine always with nylock equal to top of kingpin, which was basically stock. Now I rock it prob 1/2 to full turn more, which is not a thread showing. Feel pretty much the same.

Man coming from 50-60 degree weather to Florida for vacation and I'm reminded of the ever changing durometer of Thunder bushings. Was comical to step on my board fresh off the plane.

IpathCats

« Reply #877 on: November 26, 2022, 05:36:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Damn, I swear they got looser over recent years. I used to rock mine always with nylock equal to top of kingpin, which was basically stock. Now I rock it prob 1/2 to full turn more, which is not a thread showing. Feel pretty much the same.

Man coming from 50-60 degree weather to Florida for vacation and I'm reminded of the ever changing durometer of Thunder bushings. Was comical to step on my board fresh off the plane.

Someone other than bones needs to make regular bushings that are more temperature resistant. Without that dumb built in washer

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #878 on: November 26, 2022, 06:12:10 AM »

Oh fuck me….look I do like the Matt Rodriguez, and I do like Daewon. I think their shit looks ridiculous. ‘I get high off of it (rattles trucks)’…it is as gimmicky/attention seeking, as it gets. Great skaters both.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #879 on: November 26, 2022, 09:09:37 AM »
So M Rod rides his trucks that way to 'seek attention?'

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #880 on: November 26, 2022, 09:20:23 AM »
It’s mad how some pro’s have thier trucks that loose. I always assumed it must be challenging as fuck to be able to skate competently on essentially a wobble board

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #881 on: November 26, 2022, 09:32:00 AM »
I don’t think they are ever really flexing…that’s just how they ride their trucks….same way Jah stepping on his trucks like he’s trying to end their life…I don’t think he’s saying….tight trucks are TIGHT….he’s just doing him. 

But yes…we tend to really celebrate loose trucks….

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #882 on: November 26, 2022, 09:37:18 AM »
So M Rod rides his trucks that way to 'seek attention?'

You’ve seen the same video I have. I think someone can like something, and also like the attention. Dude has a lot of flair.
Daewon is a legend, and he absolutely flexes this. Mrod less of a ‘legend’ (still amazing), and if it wasn’t important to Ras Matt, I wouldn’t know about said loose trucks.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #883 on: November 26, 2022, 09:58:27 AM »
It was a Sac tradition. I don't think impressing you and I has much to do with it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #884 on: December 02, 2022, 05:43:31 PM »
Anyone have axle bend issues on Thunders? I noticed when I set my board down only 2-3 out of the 4 wheels touched the ground at once. 149 Team hangers. Not a bushing issue either as my 148 hangers with same plates and bushings don't do this. Took them off and my axles are definitely bent on the front. Only other set of axles I have ever bent were Ti Thunders.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #885 on: December 03, 2022, 03:13:44 PM »
Finally made the switch back from ace AF1 55s to Thunder teams. Gonna slap some 1/8th risers underneath them and give ‘em a go tomorrow AM. Hoping the grind is as good as i remember :-)

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #886 on: December 05, 2022, 09:48:58 AM »
On Taylor Kirby's story.. One more person leaving indy for thunder ?

I wonder why many are leaving Independent when they have always skated for them.. Maybe Independent has warned its skaters that the construction is in China now ?

IpathCats

« Reply #887 on: December 05, 2022, 09:55:03 AM »

I wonder why many are leaving Independent when they have always skated for them.. Maybe Independent has warned its skaters that the construction is in China now ?

I'd say it probably comes down to their deals with NHS and DLX.

Money is the biggest reason pros change their setups after many years of being on the same thing.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #888 on: December 05, 2022, 02:44:56 PM »
Anyone have axle bend issues on Thunders? I noticed when I set my board down only 2-3 out of the 4 wheels touched the ground at once. 149 Team hangers. Not a bushing issue either as my 148 hangers with same plates and bushings don't do this. Took them off and my axles are definitely bent on the front. Only other set of axles I have ever bent were Ti Thunders.

Have never bent a hanger in the 17 years I’ve been skating Thunders. It’s definitely possible though just like any other truck. You can try using a pipe as a cheater bar and bending it back in place if you don’t want to give up on that pair

One of the big reasons I switched to Thunders was because I kept having bent and slipped axles on Indys. 1 single truck of the 40+ pairs that I’ve skated has broken prematurely. That was back in 2009
fuck you bama

LebowskisRug

« Reply #889 on: December 05, 2022, 03:52:54 PM »
I asked two pros why they switched and they said "The trucks just showed up in my Spitfire box and I tried them and they're great". Also, Kirby skates with Julian Davidson, who skates for Thunder so it coulda been Julian's board.

Prob not worth reading into much. Now, if someone like Reynolds were to switch....

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #890 on: December 05, 2022, 05:23:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd say it probably comes down to their deals with NHS and DLX.

Money is the biggest reason pros change their setups after many years of being on the same thing.

Unless you have a pro truck no one gets paid for skating indys.  I suspect like you said, it's a package deal, they get spits and should they ever loose a board sponsor, automatically get antihero boards. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #891 on: December 05, 2022, 05:39:35 PM »
I asked two pros why they switched and they said "The trucks just showed up in my Spitfire box and I tried them and they're great". Also, Kirby skates with Julian Davidson, who skates for Thunder so it coulda been Julian's board.

Prob not worth reading into much. Now, if someone like Reynolds were to switch....
On shinpei uenos insta a while back I think he got surprised to find out he was included in the team lineup when he didn't even know he rode for them

sk8_cat

• Rep: 3
« Reply #892 on: December 06, 2022, 12:28:58 AM »
The elephant in the room here is the thunder bushings. Oh man it's been such a shitshow for me - I am a bigger dude that lives in a hot climate so right off the bat the stock bushings are too loose and they would crack within 3 sessions anyway. The onlything I could do was get the aftermarket rebuild kits for 95 and 100 duro, these are kind of shit on the first sessions until they break in as is perfectly normal, then they keep getting looser and looser at a pretty noticable rate let alone the temperature sensitivity and the blowouts. At some point the 100du ones felt like they were loose but just with a pretty slow rebound. Idk at the end of the day the fact that they quickly change their response is the worst bit for me it makes it hard to get used to. Otherwise great trucks.

FrenchSkater

« Reply #893 on: December 06, 2022, 04:05:53 AM »

Imagine Reynolds skating for Venture..  :D He already said that he likes these trucks, and we see him being a fan of GX1000, where many ride Venture.. He also skates with Kader, it can influence him haha

A change to venture would be more likely as it's closer to indy in feel and height! The feel on Thunder is totally different..  ;D

IpathCats

« Reply #894 on: December 06, 2022, 04:24:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Imagine Reynolds skating for Venture..  :D He already said that he likes these trucks, and we see him being a fan of GX1000, where many ride Venture.. He also skates with Kader, it can influence him haha

A change to venture would be more likely as it's closer to indy in feel and height! The feel on Thunder is totally different..  ;D

Reynolds skates his trucks pretty tight so ventures might be doable. And he's more flip/manny/slide focused so the worse grind might not be as big of a deal to him.

His older legs might not do so well with that hefty pop though. OR, it might be exactly what he needs for a second wind!

He def has a bit of madness though, i would be surprised if he swapped

FrenchSkater

« Reply #895 on: December 06, 2022, 11:48:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Reynolds skates his trucks pretty tight so ventures might be doable. And he's more flip/manny/slide focused so the worse grind might not be as big of a deal to him.

His older legs might not do so well with that hefty pop though. OR, it might be exactly what he needs for a second wind!

He def has a bit of madness though, i would be surprised if he swapped

Maybe one day .. :D

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #896 on: December 06, 2022, 11:52:32 AM »

lol man everyone clowns me for my truck tightness but i feel they work PERFECT for me as im only 126lbs and most people weigh more than me
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

pops

• Rep: 219
« Reply #897 on: December 06, 2022, 12:01:23 PM »
I fucking hate wheelbite but thunder 149 standard on 1/8 risers and 55+ wheels is such an amazing combo for any type of deck.

The height comes out close to an indy or maybe taller but it doesnt matter since the trucks are so light the pop feel isnt really affected, and the control is so nice on switch tricks compared to any other cast truck (except maybe ventures but I fucking hate their feel now)

This makes me curious to hop back on some Thunders. I've been on Aces for couple years and even though I definitely love the classics, I would definitely want to try some 151s with 1/8 risers.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #898 on: December 11, 2022, 06:25:27 AM »
Thunder hanger/ Venture baseplate mix here plus some “science “:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmBTDIDOjij/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #899 on: December 11, 2022, 06:46:15 PM »

The interesting thing with that pic is it doesn't give an accurate representation of where the axle actually sits on both.

Baseplates are lined up to the bolt holes, not the kingpin and pivot cup, but either way it is still interesting to see things like that side by side.

Lining up Ace, Indy, Thunder and Venture in that order along the axle line really shows how little there is between them, but it is still significant in that even 1 - 2 mm can make such a big difference overall.

Either way I wonder how many people might now try this themselves if they have everything lying around.  Some truck parts pair up better than others, but not everything goes with everything else.

Thanks for posting too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.