Author Topic: Running/Walking Shoes  (Read 1882 times)

Big Baby Jesus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
Running/Walking Shoes
« on: August 23, 2021, 05:14:31 AM »
I just got a promotion and start my new position today. It’s going to be a lot of standing and walking (10 hours/day). Any one have suggestions for good shoes with good support and comfort? I’ve been eying ASICS Gel Lyte III but wanted some opinions before pulling the trigger.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Running/Walking Shoes
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 05:44:36 AM »
You could resurrect this thread?
There are/ were some pretty good options in there
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=86144.0

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 08:35:02 AM »
i worked in a kitchen in some nb dad shoes. they were ok

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 09:44:31 AM »
I just got a promotion and start my new position today. It’s going to be a lot of standing and walking (10 hours/day). Any one have suggestions for good shoes with good support and comfort? I’ve been eying ASICS Gel Lyte III but wanted some opinions before pulling the trigger.

I will say this, if possible, go to a running shoe store and have your feet measured (width, if flat footed, etc.) and have them help you figure out what shoes are good for you.

My wife is a nurse and is on her feet ALL the time. She bought countless pairs of running shoes based off other people's opinions, trying to find something that worked for her. None of them suited her as well as they did the people who recommended them. Then she finally got her foot measured and the one pair Road Runner Sports suggested to her worked like a charm.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 09:56:52 AM »
I used to work in skate shoes and eventually switched to a pair of ON clouds. I went from my feet being sore constantly to being able to skate after work. I’ve ran in them and they feel good for that as well.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 10:04:52 AM »
I have numbness in one of my feet from breaking my leg twice skating (17/27) and I always wear Saucony jawns. with the EverRun bottom. Soft bouncy and improves circulation.

https://www.saucony.com/en/mens-stability-running-shoes/?icid=M_running_catlinks_stability

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 12:55:41 PM »
new balance classic 574 are an incredible, simple shoe that allows the foot to gain strength because they're not over supportive but offer just enough, for me anyways.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 01:04:23 PM »
Get some Crocs, my guy
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 01:50:55 PM »
Team New Balance
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 01:56:39 PM »
Get some Crocs, my guy

this dude is speaking truth. while they don't mold to the feet, they end up fitting the feet. hella comfy and more durable than one would expect. I hiked in mine, walked on the street, etc as my only shoe and they last about a year before they were done
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 04:58:51 AM »
You could resurrect this thread?
There are/ were some pretty good options in there
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=86144.0

Good looking out! I knew there was a thread like this but that search function…

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I work in operations for a shipping company so unfortunately crocs are not an option. Looks like the running store might be my best bet. I also have an adidas and NB store near me so might make a trip there too.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 982
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 07:16:17 AM »
nike react infinity
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 08:20:46 AM »
Yo any of ya'll on salomon? im trying to get some gore jawns

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 08:29:39 PM »
I have some Salomon Outline GTX boots for work. They’re pretty comfortable. If you want to go for comfort and support then I would honestly recommend Hoka’s. I have some Speedgoats and Sky Kaha’s. Two of the most comfortable pairs of shoes I’ve ever worn. Hokas looked pretty ridiculous the first time I saw them, but the non-flashy color ones are quite a bit more palatable
fuck you bama

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 09:13:31 PM »
Big Nike Pegasus fan. Usually get whatever iteration as they come out every year and my old ones wear out. On the 38s right now and they’re great.

Crocs are tight too. Have some camo ones my wife got me for my bday this year. Super comfortable.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2021, 03:01:36 PM »
Anyone try the New Balance 997? really looking at these as my next work shoe, but they only have super colourful options out right now

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 06:16:44 AM »
I’ve had luck the last 10 years with Adidas, Nike, and ASICS.

You want the hardcore running shoes, not the sub-$100 stuff they sell at Foot Locker. Stuff like Adidas Supernova or Ultra Boost, Nike Pegasus/Vomero/Zoom Structure, ASICS Nimbus or GT-2000, etc.

I know one guy who is a nurse and swears by Hokas. People also like Brooks and Saucony.

If you don’t know what your feet need start with “neutral” shoes (although sometimes a structural element will help the shoes last longer if you’re on them every day).

If you’re near an outlet store check those because they usually have last season’s models at a deep discount. Dick’s Sporting Goods usually carries a few of the performance models and I like being able to try shut on without asking someone to get it for me. I know I should say support your local running store but in my experience they always have older stock at full price.

Lots of in depth reviews at solereview.com

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2021, 08:46:06 AM »
I was using ultra boosts when I was running.....

Always think it's funny how Nike and Adidas have a bigger presence in skating than running.....

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2021, 09:19:09 AM »
I really like Hoka One One shoes. I have a pair of Clifton 6’s for everyday walking/road jogging and a pair of Speedgoat 4’s for light hiking. I don’t jog much anymore, but they’re my go-to when I go for a walk, usually about 10km.

They’re the ones that fit my feet the best and feel like I was walking on clouds. Super light and breathable.

Only downsides is they’re ugly as fuck (like most running shoes) and the Clifton’s sole is not the most durable for running, but I still love ‘em. Hands down the most comfortable pairs of shoes I’ve ever owned, and my back feels better when I wear them for a few days.

Currently looking at a pair of their new Zinal model, probably gonna pull the trigger within the next few days.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2021, 12:26:51 PM »
I also fuck with Birkenstocks in the summer and around the house.....pretty sure CK and Mcrank were the tipping point....

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2021, 05:14:54 AM »
I ended up going with some Saucony Shadow 6000. Really comfortable out of the box. A bunch of really simple color ways. Looking to get another pair in black or grey.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2021, 09:04:09 AM »
574 2e wide.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2563
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2021, 09:39:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I will say this, if possible, go to a running shoe store and have your feet measured (width, if flat footed, etc.) and have them help you figure out what shoes are good for you.

My wife is a nurse and is on her feet ALL the time. She bought countless pairs of running shoes based off other people's opinions, trying to find something that worked for her. None of them suited her as well as they did the people who recommended them. Then she finally got her foot measured and the one pair Road Runner Sports suggested to her worked like a charm.

I will second this. Not because I've done it, but because I got burned by listening to what worked for other people. Next time I buy shoes I will go to a specialized store.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2021, 10:03:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have some Salomon Outline GTX boots for work. They’re pretty comfortable. If you want to go for comfort and support then I would honestly recommend Hoka’s. I have some Speedgoats and Sky Kaha’s. Two of the most comfortable pairs of shoes I’ve ever worn. Hokas looked pretty ridiculous the first time I saw them, but the non-flashy color ones are quite a bit more palatable

Hoka's are comfortable..hv the challenger atr and mafate speed..

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2021, 10:04:48 AM »
Was so against them for years but I have to say nike air max.
I always had crushed whatever cushion mid sole shoes had by the third time I wore them leaving every running shoe feeling worse than the classic vans I skated in.
The air bubbles have a tiny bit of give but stay pretty much the same for the life of the shoe.
Especially good for standing for long amounts of time

Ayanami

• Rep: 55
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2021, 10:29:51 AM »
I use NMD’s for work but we sell Hoka’s and people swear by them. Usually coming in asking for a certain shoe their orthopedic told them about. Salomon as well, the gore Tex shoes have lasted me way longer than I thought.
i like the tiny headed bear who says nice stuff to everyone.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2021, 01:30:28 PM »

I have asics gel resolution 6 with converse lunarlon insoles and they are what I put on my feet when I want to do absolutely nothing in comfort. If you really don't give a fuck, Etonics are pretty comfortable and generally cheap. sauconys look nice, good pick.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2021, 09:48:17 PM »
I use NMD’s for work but we sell Hoka’s and people swear by them. Usually coming in asking for a certain shoe their orthopedic told them about. Salomon as well, the gore Tex shoes have lasted me way longer than I thought.

wore the Salomon X Ultra Mid 3 gtx when i did a month long winter hike in Annapurna, Nepal. Holding up pretty good..

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2021, 11:17:39 PM »
I ended up going with some Saucony Shadow 6000. Really comfortable out of the box. A bunch of really simple color ways. Looking to get another pair in black or grey.

solid choice! Saucony are great when you’re not on the board. I rock these atm:
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/kinetics-tokyo/cn7188/?scid=wi_ichi_iphoneapp_item_share
Will probably go back to Saucony or NB when they’re done though…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2021, 03:09:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
solid choice! Saucony are great when you’re not on the board. I rock these atm:
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/kinetics-tokyo/cn7188/?scid=wi_ichi_iphoneapp_item_share
Will probably go back to Saucony or NB when they’re done though…

Those looks sick!

Wasn't there a movie with Robin Williams where he had grey New Balance or Saucony that sort of look like these? I feel like in the movie he was a professor or a homeless guy.  My memory might be failing me.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate