Author Topic: SLS: salt like city  (Read 5626 times)

Giza Butler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: SLS: salt like city
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2021, 05:02:27 AM »
SLS just separate this shit into best run/line and Best trick already. The more they focus on best trick the more bored I am with it for some reason. All the repeat tricks, this women's best trick was especially bad. The jam format for the vert contests Tony Hawk's been involved with this year has been a breath of fresh air.

I would second 3/5 different events who will make up for the final score: Big Section, Runs, Game of Skate, High/Long Ollie and Ballet (freestyle).
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

lucascbn

• Rep: 21
  • #maconha
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2021, 05:17:15 AM »
I miss that mid section between Runs and "Big Section" when dudes usually did some ledge tricks and more "tech" stuff.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2021, 05:41:22 AM »
Yeah I can see the contest going back to the original format with multiple sections. Pretty crazy they used to do 28 tricks and now they only do 4.

Hate to bring in this theory but could the reduction in single tricks have to do with the female and male contest having to be even and the females just not having the same range of tricks. Especially with the no repeats rule.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2021, 06:24:01 AM »
With this format you're better off just stepping off your board if you land sketchy so you then can re do it cleaner for a better score. I agree with the webcast announcers that Kelvin's sugarcane and Nyjah's full cab flip lip were underscored.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2021, 06:35:44 AM »

LURKIN RENOIR

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2021, 03:00:55 AM »
Enjoying Nyjahs IG right now. I get the feeling that there soon will be a stop the steal rally near the sls HQ.

Off course you cant win dressed in your moms silk pyjamas. Kelly wont allow it.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2021, 03:31:00 AM »
Didn't watch but they really should take away points for anyone who self cheers after they land a trick

You sound fun

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2021, 04:55:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Was David Loy officially hired as Nigel’s bodyguard at some point?
[close]
He's been his 'behind the scenes filmer' for years now.
[close]
That’s so fucked…….On another note I really wish Suciu made the finals. Him screaming and getting hyped is pretty funny and you see a different side to him which makes me think he’s not as smart as he comes off sometimes.
[close]

have you ever competed in anything in your life?

why would enthusiasm and being hyped the way Mark did make him not as smart as you believed prior?

You're saying that showing emotion while competing for:

1. fun
2. money
3. a genuine career achievement in your field

makes you ignorant?

i'd rather have someone laughing and emoting than being some hyper-focused robot who takes it all super seriously.

Dumbest take I ve heard in a while. Beeing enthousiastic makes you a dumb person aha. Poster probably stay in the corner at every party try to be all mysterious cool guy.
check my music

conqueso

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2021, 06:03:22 AM »

Off course you cant win dressed in your moms silk pyjamas

ABD

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2021, 08:36:58 AM »
Enjoying Nyjahs IG right now. I get the feeling that there soon will be a stop the steal rally near the sls HQ.

Nyjah has had plenty of questionable calls go his way and he’s already won a contest with that trick. I think this just burns because he didn’t get a medal

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2021, 08:42:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Nyjah has had plenty of questionable calls go his way and he’s already won a contest with that trick. I think this just burns because he didn’t get a medal

He came in second place though

LURKIN RENOIR

« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2021, 08:58:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ABD

I can imagine the olympic champion skating sls with his geisha wear.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2021, 09:24:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

ABD

[close]

Culturally insensitive

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2021, 09:54:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

He came in second place though
At the Olympics

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2021, 10:02:07 AM »
the runs NEVER count towards the final score. they need to just get rid of them entirely, or force the guy to take the run score into his final score.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2021, 10:10:45 AM »
the runs NEVER count towards the final score. they need to just get rid of them entirely, or force the guy to take the run score into his final score.
I watched some of the prelims too and the one run that counted was Rayssa’s run which was probably the best run ever done by a woman in any contest ever. So you know everyone just needs to match that, no big deal

turd fergusion

• Rep: -6
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2021, 10:12:46 AM »
Yeah I can see the contest going back to the original format with multiple sections. Pretty crazy they used to do 28 tricks and now they only do 4.

Hate to bring in this theory but could the reduction in single tricks have to do with the female and male contest having to be even and the females just not having the same range of tricks. Especially with the no repeats rule.

I think they attempt to switch it up when one person keeps winning. It’s in their best interest to have multiple winners. They did this multiple times when Nyjah was winning everything. You could be right though! The females that aren’t in the top 3 are having trouble landing enough tricks.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2021, 10:24:17 AM »
i mean its not like they keep these skateparks anyway. they might as well just build a big handrail / stairset with hubbas. a nice long ledge, and then 1 more random obstacle like a pyramid hip or table top, or some kicker to kicker action. put them all in a line, boom 3 tricks you are done, next guy is up. you could make the kicker gap bigger for men to women, and same with the stair set for example if they made this a more modular setup that they are going to bring to each event. focus more time on less obstacles because a lot of them never even see scoring anyway.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2021, 11:05:00 AM »
i mean its not like they keep these skateparks anyway. they might as well just build a big handrail / stairset with hubbas. a nice long ledge, and then 1 more random obstacle like a pyramid hip or table top, or some kicker to kicker action. put them all in a line, boom 3 tricks you are done, next guy is up. you could make the kicker gap bigger for men to women, and same with the stair set for example if they made this a more modular setup that they are going to bring to each event. focus more time on less obstacles because a lot of them never even see scoring anyway.

Sometimes they do keep the parks. This is one time they are keeping it for a public park and it's a particularly bad one.
Your proposal apart from the variation for women is pretty much what the first years of sls were.

I think if they did make two different formats for men and women it would just be better to do women do 5 tricks men do 8 or something but everything else is the same.  Kind of like tennis

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2021, 12:57:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

ABD

[close]

[close]

Culturally insensitive
Cooler than ninejah with his yoga pants and ghetto gown.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2021, 12:57:59 PM »
SLS—-Salt Lake Sity?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2021, 01:27:28 PM »
SLS—-Salt Lake Sity?

"Street" League Sportboarding
IG: @flowterspace

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2021, 01:34:46 PM »
seeing as SLS is now a best trick down one obstacle competition they might as well get creative with the obstacle and rip off the vans downtown showdown. get a different ridiculous creation for each contest.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

lucascbn

• Rep: 21
  • #maconha
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2021, 02:02:24 PM »

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2021, 02:41:04 PM »

That was probably the best format imo. While it's cool to see skaters hucking themselves down the impact section, the low impact sections really brought out the creativity rather than the same few tricks all the regular sls skaters tend to rely on.