Author Topic: Regular Pop Shove It  (Read 1851 times)

RaedingRaeden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Regular Pop Shove It
« on: June 23, 2021, 08:48:44 AM »
I've been working on this trick for so god damn long, how do y'all get these down, especially rolling, like I'm a beginner but fuck, Ollies were WAY easier than this shit. I can consistently get at least one foot on my board every time, and stationary, I can get  them pretty consistently, does anyone have any tips for comfort or consistensy regarding these 2 main issues.
Main Issues: I'm landing way too far toe or heel side
                   Landing way too far back or too far forward.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
Re: Regular Pop Shove It
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 02:28:15 PM »
I find those easiest going slightly uphill. Does not have to be a bank just an incline. But maybe that‘s just me.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 06:51:13 PM »
I find those easiest going slightly uphill. Does not have to be a bank just an incline.
This is the secret. Hit up a driveway or something not steep & plot your landing, you basically land stationary & have a chance to hop off if you mess up. Do it a million times & then take it to the loading dock PRod Style or just try doing like 3 consecutively.

ALSO: prepare for a heavy onset of razor tail

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 09:34:59 PM »
I do them a bit and they never really go primo on me I think someone said it on here but keep front foot flat so it shoves round and stays the right way up

To practice the catch do heaps of fakie shoves cause you catch those ones with back foot but shoves front foot but it’s the same foot
listen to cosmic psychos

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 10:56:00 AM »
The guy who said keep your front foot flat had the key.  I think you got this, bro. And once you get a pop shuv it, you get it.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 11:17:00 AM »
Backside pop shuv-its are all in the back foot for me. The back foot is across the tail with my toes almost hanging off the end that's away from me. Push down, scoop the back foot towards you, jump up, and try to catch it with your front foot. Don't lean back.

Learning them on an incline like a driveway might help or you can find sidewalk with some grass on the side to learn them onto something soft first.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 09:20:49 PM »
What made them click for me was trying them switch. Switch they are different they just worked cleaner. After that I went back and looked hard at my regs and made some changes, especially jumping slightly forward

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 12:04:26 AM »
Pop from the very middle of the tip of the tail, and almost straight down. It's kinda like an ollie, but your front foot doesn't get involved until it's time to catch it.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 06:23:45 AM »
Expand Quote
I find those easiest going slightly uphill. Does not have to be a bank just an incline.
[close]
This is the secret. Hit up a driveway or something not steep & plot your landing, you basically land stationary & have a chance to hop off if you mess up. Do it a million times & then take it to the loading dock PRod Style or just try doing like 3 consecutively.

ALSO: prepare for a heavy onset of razor tail

This, 100%.

Also, you want to jump slightly in forward. Imagine you're standing on one corner of a square, and when you pop you are hopping to the opposite corner. Someone on here once broke a few tricks down like that and it was one of the best pieces of advice I've ever received.

For whatever reason, I also find these way easier to do fakie.

primo

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 10:46:04 AM »
I suck but pop shove its are something I can do pretty well, so I'm going to try to help.

The usual tips apply (shoulders parallel with the board, etc), bend your knees, etc.

I put my front foot somewhere between a heel flip and an ollie. My toe hangs over the edge of the board just a little, and I put my back foot in the center of the tail, both are to prevent the board from flipping. I pop and scoop in the direction I'm moving, not back behind me. I jump straight up, not forward or backwards, and land with my knees bent.

I'm sure everyone has their own ways of doing it. You'll probably find yours. Good luck.

jaysouthbay

• Rep: 1
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 05:35:39 PM »
Front shuv easier and looks better do those instead lol

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 07:35:10 PM »
You really have to pop them, there's a ton of different methods but you HAVE to pop it and guide it with your back foot, I throw it a little in front of me (compared to my F/S which go right under me).

Practice regular old stupidass shuvits, the scrapits, then pop them bitches.

Shoulders parallel to the board, front foot flat and diagonal (my front foot heel hangs off the edge), back foot either in ollie position or a little more on the toe edge of the tail to help scoop.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 07:19:33 AM »
trick is super free once you get it. if you cant do a shove theres no way you can do a 3 flip. its all in the back foot + front foot catch. learn to just shove them on the floor without popping firs tto get the timing down. the "walk the dog" style shoveit like marc johnson does. wheels fully on the floor never leaving. then slowly work your way up to popping them after your timing is down.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 06:52:58 PM »
trick is super free once you get it. if you cant do a shove theres no way you can do a 3 flip. its all in the back foot + front foot catch. learn to just shove them on the floor without popping firs tto get the timing down. the "walk the dog" style shoveit like marc johnson does. wheels fully on the floor never leaving. then slowly work your way up to popping them after your timing is down.

Maybe I’m just a mess, but I disagree. I can do shuvs with no pop every try, I can 360 flip pretty consistently (get the rotation with no problems), but I’m absolutely trash at pop shuvs. I don’t know why, and it pisses me off to no end, but that is my reality.

I’m going to try and apply some of these other tips to get better than my 1 out of 20ish pop shuvs. I think my front foot placement must be jacked up for pop shuvs. I also find certain decks easier to pop shuv than others. Girl boards make my pop shuvs look and feel great, but lots of other stuff look bad. Deathwish boards feel worlds better for everything, but my pop shuv suffers. It’s super weird.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2021, 07:57:42 AM »
ya same i can tre but can't pop shuv for my life. My friends who just start skating for like a week have a better pop shuv than me lol

that being said i really want a good one bc i think its a key to doing bigspin

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 11:50:47 PM »
I'm one of those dudes who can has fs pop shuvs on lock but can barely do a normal pop shuv. I've been putting in a ton of time into them this week and a lot of the points above really are key..

1. Focus more on the pop rather than the scoop. I did the opposite when I first tried learning and would always half pressure flip them. Back toes near the tip of the tail, not too far toe side.

2. Front foot flat with toes slightly hanging off toe side. Helps with the catch and to prevent the board from flipping.

3. Jump diagonally slightly until you can learn to keep them more underneath you. Sometimes mine get kinda too far in front of me but staying over the board is key. I still have to do this with fs pop shuvs to some extent too.

4. It's better to hold onto something and commit each try rather than land with one foot on. This is what really fucked me up. I spent so much time worrying about getting the front foot on that when the time came to commit, my muscle memory kept preventing me from putting my back foot on.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 758
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 12:13:43 AM »
what helped me and other people that i’ve told how to do pop shuvs is to do a scissor kick when trying them. when you do a shuvit the board will move toeside a little bit, which i feel is the reason why some people find it a little hard to learn at first because it doesn’t stay under you like an ollie. when popping the trick your back foot will go behind you, and you have to try to follow the board with your front foot. to do that you have to do the scissor kick, your front foot should stay over the board so you kick it in front of you and pull the back foot up so it doesn’t land on the ground before the board. try doing them landing with your front foot first and putting the back foot on the board right after the front foot lands on the board.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 04:53:34 AM »
Maybe I'm just a freak, but here's my setup for a regular pop-shuv.

Back foot pops in the direction of the red arrow.  This is popped and not scraped and the back leg is sucked up as soon as possible after the pop.

Weight is roughly over the back bolts just before and during the pop

When done perfectly the board will audibly slap into my feet at the apex.  I haven't got this consistent yet but it'll happen a couple of times during a session if I'm rinsing them.  My .02 anyway.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2021, 07:37:20 AM »
I've always had difficulty too, scooping them when I should be popping.  Back foot is pretty centered...I used to put in toe side pocket like a bigspin but this is wrong.....the other key thing is back foot kicks backwards.  It's not the same scoop as a 3 flip but you still kick your foot behind you.  I think it helps your board stay on your front foot versus primo'ing.....

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2021, 07:20:15 PM »
i finally decided to learn pop shuvs when i realized i was never gonna get consistent tres without mastering the front foot catch

heres what made it click for me

- front foot is in kick flip position
- dont scoop but pop and nudge like a front shuv
- imagine the boards center of rotation being around the ball of your front foot
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick