Author Topic: Best tools/items to use when fixing spots  (Read 4598 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: Best tools/items to use when fixing spots
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 03:26:17 AM »
What to use to fill a crack between blocks of curb...?

my front truck hit the crack perfectly last week which then led to my head hitting the ground shortly thereafter. I've been afraid to skate this curb ever since.

theres about a 1-1.5cm gap between the 2 blocks of curb and it's just a vast crevasse that spans the height of the curb. I think bondo won't work for this type of crack but I'd really rather avoid getting the concrete going just for this. Maybe fill with dirt then put bondo over it? Or will that be too weak?

The gap looks like this but this is just an image I found on the internet. My curb is more square and is backed by pavers/sidewalk.

I've only ever filled ground cracks with bondo, nothing this deep.
yeah, i would just fill it up maybe with wet sand mixed with some gravel so the bondo doesn't drip down. or maybe you could even use some cardboard to fill it. pretty much anything that lets you get a smooth finish with the bondo. and i would go hard on the bondo to make sure it's enough and then rub it down after it hardened to level everything again.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2021, 03:33:29 AM »
Expand Quote

my front truck hit the crack perfectly last week which then led to my head hitting the ground shortly thereafter. I've been afraid to skate this curb ever since.

theres about a 1-1.5cm gap between the 2 blocks of curb and it's just a vast crevasse that spans the height of the curb. I think bondo won't work for this type of crack but I'd really rather avoid getting the concrete going just for this. Maybe fill with dirt then put bondo over it? Or will that be too weak?

The gap looks like this but this is just an image I found on the internet. My curb is more square and is backed by pavers/sidewalk.

[close]
yeah, i would just fill it up maybe with wet sand mixed with some gravel so the bondo doesn't drip down. or maybe you could even use some cardboard to fill it. pretty much anything that lets you get a smooth finish with the bondo. and i would go hard on the bondo to make sure it's enough and then rub it down after it hardened to level everything again.

Cool thanks!

Will grinding on bondo just make it break out super quick, or is bondo hard enough to take that type of abuse?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2021, 03:57:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Cool thanks!

Will grinding on bondo just make it break out super quick, or is bondo hard enough to take that type of abuse?

you can sand it down with griptape for sure, not sure about a rubbrick, i've never done that, but i guess if you let it harden out more than just half an hour that might work. a rubbrick might roughen up the bondos surface tho. i'd finish the bondo part with griptape or sanding paper for sure to give it a smooth finish. i mean you should have a scraper anyways to get it as level as possible, basically just make sure to use enough so you rather have some surplus bondo over the seam than too little, but we're talking about like not even a millimeter topping the surface maybe. so it shouldn't take long to sand down with some regular grip tape. but you'd probably be fine just putting bondo over it. that stuff hardens real quick, so it's not even likely it will just spill into the crack.

sry if my answer is a bit incoherent, i haven't slept well the last few days and i think i need a nap.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 04:31:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Cool thanks!

If you read back a bit in the thread there are some good suggestions for bondo alternatives. Steel stick is a good one if your in the US (maybe elsewhere?) and you wouldn’t really need to fill the whole crack in. There’s also a few similar products suggested from folks in Europe.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2021, 07:32:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Cool thanks!

[close]

If you read back a bit in the thread there are some good suggestions for bondo alternatives. Steel stick is a good one if your in the US (maybe elsewhere?) and you wouldn’t really need to fill the whole crack in. There’s also a few similar products suggested from folks in Europe.

The cheapest method would probably be concrete and it will last a long time.
Bondo and Steel Stix I personally find a bit too expensive.
But that's onto you.
IG: @flowterspace

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2021, 11:49:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Cool thanks!

[close]

[close]

The cheapest method would probably be concrete and it will last a long time.
Bondo and Steel Stix I personally find a bit too expensive.
But that's onto you.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

If I lived close to the curb and could do it on the weekend I would... but it's my lunchbreak curb at work and I only have about an hour break which is a little tight timewise for a concrete patch job with clean up and trying to not get concrete all over myself. I suppose I could do it after work since it's staying light later now, but I'll save that as a last resort.

I will try the steel stick as a quick/easy fix, seems stronger and less messy than bondo, I watched a few youtube videos.

Bonus, the first search research was this store with a hilarious name:

(I'll probably just stop at Leroy Merlin to buy the stuff though.)

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2021, 04:25:20 PM »
europe is so cool, damn

antigrippanti

twintailT

• Rep: 0
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2021, 01:46:53 PM »
Slight tangent.. but with a cheap hi-viz and a semi-plausible fake permit the world is your oyster my friend

True that. I work in the movie business and have gotten many filming permits. Real and fake. Most major cities have a film office. Contact them or go to their website to get a copy of a sample permit. Photoshop that shit and make it YOURS. If you get questioned at a spot have confidence, speak the language and show that filming permit you have! Most people see some "official document" and will walk away. At least enough for you to get a few more tries. Pro Tip: put your homies phone number on the "permit" so if the person/cop calls the number your homie can have your back and say its legit.

biaherl

• Rep: 264
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2021, 11:17:28 AM »
^ Thanks for the info Mr. Evans

I've been sleeping on this thread for a while I need to come back more often. I tryed finding a rubbrick on the web in Europe for a day and I guess I was over it so bad that I never came back to say "try some 60 grit epoxy coated sand paper"

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 05:46:47 PM by biaherl »

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2021, 02:23:05 AM »
Expand Quote
I broke my wrist at that first metal bank spot they skated. The metal is very slick and the run up sucks so bad.
[close]

Yeah that metal bank is treacherous and has taken many people out. The key to making it less slippery is to pour some pop on it. Sorry to hear about the injury.
i keep thinking about this post and i feel like it belongs here. im definitely going to try this on some shit