Author Topic: Best way to get a clip from .mov to instagram?  (Read 384 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Best way to get a clip from .mov to instagram?
« on: August 27, 2021, 07:00:38 AM »
I have a clip that is in .mov format, its also on youtube, i just want to clip a 1 minute chunk of it to toss on my instagram, what is the best way to achieve this?

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Re: Best way to get a clip from .mov to instagram?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 07:11:18 AM »
I have a clip that is in .mov format, its also on youtube, i just want to clip a 1 minute chunk of it to toss on my instagram, what is the best way to achieve this?

There's a few options to achieve this.
You can always log into Instagram on your computer and post through the website. If you have an iPhone I think you'll need a .mp4 file as they don't support .mov? Export or convert the .mov to .mp4 on your computer and send to yourself. With a mac, airdrop it you yourself or use wetransfer.com so you don't lose any quality. From your phone, you can also screen record the YouTube video in landscape with highest quality setting enabled then post.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 08:26:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There's a few options to achieve this.
You can always log into Instagram on your computer and post through the website. If you have an iPhone I think you'll need a .mp4 file as they don't support .mov? Export or convert the .mov to .mp4 on your computer and send to yourself. With a mac, airdrop it you yourself or use wetransfer.com so you don't lose any quality. From your phone, you can also screen record the YouTube video in landscape with highest quality setting enabled then post.

Instagram does not support posting via browser sadly

i have converted to mp4 but there is no way to actually move that file to your camera roll on iphone lol.

it seems like the only way to achieve this is to post via android the converted video, or through some iphone app that "re captures" the video again. it is wild the amount of hoops they make you jump through to post an edited video on thier platform. i guess they wanted to keep it that way to keep it differnt enough from youtube.

so i will have to just wait til i get home from work to make the post i guess

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 12:02:59 PM »
I posted through the browser before but it was for IGTV so maybe thats why?

Did you try wetransfer? I’ve used this method on iPhones so I know it works. You’re essentially emailing a file to yourself and after it downloads you can save to photos.

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 04:06:53 PM »
1. compress to mp4
2. install telegram on your computer and on your phone
2. on your computer, open telegram and send the clip to yourself (it's called saved messages)
3. open telegram on your phone and download the file (when you read the clip, use the share button, then save to camera roll)
4. you can upload to insta

this way you don't loose quality.
there are also other ways (wetransfer, airdrop, emailing to yourself, dropbox, ...)

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 05:56:23 PM »
if you're on a mac...
make sure your iphone is unlocked
on the computer right click file -> share -> air drop
select your iphone, accept
easy peasy, lemon squeezy

if you're a windows peasant...
with both your computer and iphone connected to the same wifi, visit either of the following on both devices
https://snapdrop.net/
https://www.sharedrop.io/
on the computer click on the icon with the nickname assigned to your phone, select file
accept
on phone go to "files" app, navigate to file (Downloads folder), tap the share icon, then "save video"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 06:13:50 PM by anon »