Author Topic: anyone ever change battery for MacBook with touchpad? late 2014 model  (Read 248 times)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
The battery of my partner's MacBook is toast and rather than pay some shitbag hack $375 in my small town to do it, I might order a kit and dig in myself. Anyone done it? Have some guidance and tips. Thanks
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: anyone ever change battery for MacBook with touchpad? late 2014 model
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 09:12:12 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the model, but in general, I consult with this site because of their step by step teardowns of whatever I'm trying to fix. Best of luck from a fellow DIY repair dude.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2014+Battery+Replacement/90276

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 10:05:39 PM »
go for it.for 375 you could just about buy a new one (2014 edition that is)

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 04:13:11 AM »
DIY for Life baby. Just make sure you backup all files before hand, just Incase. Also read and read-read that iFixIt link above, and watch some YouTube videos just to ensure you’re comfortable with it. In the link above check the top comment. Seems like someone has a method to cut the time down drastically. Also looks like you’ll need some specific tools.

Fucking Apple. I love their products, but hate their lack of repairability. I can understand certain parts being inaccessible but the battery should be designed in a way that’s easy to fix, since the computes otherwise can last a long time. But I guess that goes against profitability which is always number one.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 10:58:24 AM »
I did it for my sister in law. Not sure which specific model yours is, hers was a 2013 Macbook Pro, with the battery that's six pieces. It's not very difficult but it's tricky. Look up a good tutorial video for your specific model. Be most careful with the attached battery. The battery will be very stuck so you'll somehow need to warm up the glue to be able to separate the battery from the batter. Careful to not bend the battery as it will warm up and start smoking. There's some good videos on there. It took me about 30 minutes to do it.