Author Topic: Reynolds vs. Ave vs. Kalis vs. Chico  (Read 7874 times)

TheFandangler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
Re: Reynolds vs. Ave vs. Kalis vs. Chico
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2021, 05:00:20 PM »
Skill wise they are equal, but Reynolds has had the most complete skateboarding career.

Video parts across multiple eras
Started companies that both succeeded and failed
Went from pile to sober to dad
Numerous iconic shoes and board graphics

I don’t lean one way or another, but AVE did all those things. Except for maybe a failed company, which is really a feather in his cap, no?

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -361
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2021, 05:43:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
there is no comparison. AVE all day. Reynolds can't switch tre
[close]

He did one perfectly off a stage over a huge trash can in This Skateboarding.
[close]

Show me one in a pair of vans, otherwise the point has been made and stands. AVE is superior. 

You could say the same thing for AVE doing a fs flip. I guarantee you that Reynolds could do a ss tre at this point in time. He was automatic with those albeit AVE had a better one on flat. Reynolds switch tre slander will not be tolerated.
Expand Quote
Puig
[close]

Puig is deceptively young. He's only 34. I can see how you'd think he's older though, he's been rugged and manly for years and years.

I would put TX and Puig in the same boat of being young grand masters or OGs or whatever. They got started in their early teens but were ripping beyond their contemporaries and vets years and abilities . I'd put Appleyard in there too. You'd think they're all in their 40s but they're still mid to late 30s and have had full careers with literally nothing to prove anymore. Their cruising is just as youthful as ever.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2021, 06:44:58 PM »
Mariano

Fhk

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2021, 07:38:31 PM »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2021, 09:17:40 PM »
BA is like 45 and just put out a full part. He’s definitely slowing down, but I’d definitely add him to the age 40+ ripper list

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2021, 09:21:59 PM »
They've all had really different careers, all greats in their own right.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2021, 09:54:10 PM »
Can't say any of these (AVE, Reynolds, Mariano, etc.) are better than the other. All great to see still shredding.

In a couple of weeks we can add Dennis Busenitz. He'll be 40. I think he'll still be killing past 40.

Also, Tiago is definitely not 40.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2021, 10:02:42 PM »
Damn I really thought Puig was at least 40, not based on looks or anything just based on how long he's been around.

How old is Javier Sarmiento?

what is wrong with you

• Rep: 10
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2021, 10:21:12 PM »
Can't say any of these (AVE, Reynolds, Mariano, etc.) are better than the other. All great to see still shredding.

In a couple of weeks we can add Dennis Busenitz. He'll be 40. I think he'll still be killing past 40.

Also, Tiago is definitely not 40.
He is, apparently. Also a soccer player, I guess. There's a whole lot of conflicting information when you Google his name. I'm assuming this is a different Tiago Lemos

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2021, 10:38:37 PM »
Ave, I reckon if you got some piss into them and made em all fight he’d smack fuck out of the other three
listen to cosmic psychos

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2021, 11:04:17 PM »
The chief

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2021, 02:45:49 AM »
Ave, I reckon if you got some piss into them and made em all fight he’d smack fuck out of the other three

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2021, 06:36:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No one wants to hear this, much less see it, but AVE and Chico would probably be evenly matched in a throw down. The Boss is rangy, which only helps when you’re fighting someone the size a Keebler elf like AVE, and Kalis gave us the focused board Wolverine trick on these very boards.

The reality is that these men are absolute equals in every imaginable dimension. 

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2021, 07:32:57 AM »
Kook or not, Kris Markovich is killing it on his Instagram in a way that I think might surprise a lot of people.  Also how old is Justin Brock? 

The real answer is Brandon Turner though.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2021, 07:43:28 AM »
Yes, Markovich is shutting up the haters with his skating at the moment, how can he still skate that ducking fast?

For me it’s Chico for the sheer stoke though; if you had have told me when I was watching love child that this dude would still rip this hard deep into his 40s I would have laughed at you.
Out of al the OG girl/ chocolate heads too, who would have guessed Chico? (My money would have been on Carrol but he’s awol AF)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
Re: Andrew Reynolds vs. Ave vs. Kalis vs. Chico
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2021, 09:58:15 AM »
AVE’s on another level still as demonstrated in Dancing on Thin Ice. When Guy or Reynolds drop another full length part (especially with Reynolds’ new lower impact, more manual/ledge-based trick selection which I like a lot) I’m sure they’ll both shoot back up to the AVE tier of older pros in my mind.

I know he gets clowned on here for various things, but Chris Cole’s descent from relevance still blows my mind.  He was skating at such a high level in his early/mid-thirties I really expected him to be someone who would push his progression into his 40’s.  Now he’s disappeared into a sea of CBD and tactical knife ads.  I was hoping the return to Zero would come with a full length street part but that still hasn’t happened…
If Cole just didn’t make such lame n kooky choices in his career I feel like he’d be brought up a lot more in “who is the greatest of all time?” conversations, because he definitely is that damn good. He’d be up there getting mentioned with koston, Reynolds, Daewon, Guy and those dudes, but I feel like people tend to leave him out because of it.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2021, 10:55:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No one wants to hear this, much less see it, but AVE and Chico would probably be evenly matched in a throw down. The Boss is rangy, which only helps when you’re fighting someone the size a Keebler elf like AVE, and Kalis gave us the focused board Wolverine trick on these very boards.

The reality is that these men are absolute equals in every imaginable dimension.

Boss has already been KO’d before by Gershon, might affect his ability to take a punch though. I got AVE or Chico on this one.

Low standards

« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2021, 12:28:16 PM »
Expand Quote
AVE’s on another level still as demonstrated in Dancing on Thin Ice. When Guy or Reynolds drop another full length part (especially with Reynolds’ new lower impact, more manual/ledge-based trick selection which I like a lot) I’m sure they’ll both shoot back up to the AVE tier of older pros in my mind.

I know he gets clowned on here for various things, but Chris Cole’s descent from relevance still blows my mind.  He was skating at such a high level in his early/mid-thirties I really expected him to be someone who would push his progression into his 40’s.  Now he’s disappeared into a sea of CBD and tactical knife ads.  I was hoping the return to Zero would come with a full length street part but that still hasn’t happened…
[close]
If Cole just didn’t make such lame n kooky choices in his career I feel like he’d be brought up a lot more in “who is the greatest of all time?” conversations, because he definitely is that damn good. He’d be up there getting mentioned with koston, Reynolds, Daewon, Guy and those dudes, but I feel like people tend to leave him out because of it.

I disagree. Chris Cole’s style is honestly terrible.

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2021, 04:22:31 PM »
RON ALLEN.   

I know a handful of lEgends that rip into their 50s that just don’t record and advertise.

Some dude

• Rep: -40
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2021, 04:29:17 PM »
RON ALLEN.   

I know a handful of lEgends that rip into their 50s that just don’t record and advertise.

this too. I won’t clog up the feed with a second 50+ thread..but it’s def even more rad.. the 60+ thread will be here one day. who will be the first in that one? Hosoi? That dude seems borderline kooky for a ripper. Will tony hawk do a 60 at 60?

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2021, 04:57:35 PM »
Kalis still ripping switch flip back tails in lines at crusty ass plazas at age 44 is no fucking joke.

Whomever said Reynolds can’t switch thrice: I demand you to post a single clip of AVE doing a regular thrice (you can’t, because he can’t)

All these fools rip though.

And Mariano.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Listentothis

• Rep: -24
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2021, 06:55:18 PM »
Slap Message Boards (Definition) - To create drama and make up stories about am/pro skateboarders.

Dart Mouth

• Rep: 2
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2021, 07:15:59 PM »
 Staba took that on the jaw and laughed in his face, how the fuck you think Cheeks got any fucking chance against AVE

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2021, 07:32:04 PM »

@3:27

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -361
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2021, 09:04:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He meant in more recent times versus like a decade and some change ago. Reynolds still ss tre stuff AVE wouldn't even think of so I'm not sure what that argument even means.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1185
  • old and in the way
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2021, 05:16:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He meant in more recent times versus like a decade and some change ago. Reynolds still ss tre stuff AVE wouldn't even think of so I'm not sure what that argument even means.

do people really think that Andrew Reynolds can't switch 360 flip?
 (in a line that starts at 3:30)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1500
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2021, 05:20:53 PM »
Reynolds is still The Boss.

Morning Jazz Radio

• Rep: 20
  • Have your coffee with some jazz!
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2021, 05:21:21 PM »
Jesus Fernandez

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2021, 06:45:29 PM »
Staba took that on the jaw and laughed in his face, how the fuck you think Cheeks got any fucking chance against AVE

Hey everyone, tab soda is back. Good ol porcelain jaw Brad.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2021, 07:04:11 PM »
isnt AVE a shortarse?