Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 134452 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #210 on: September 16, 2021, 02:50:17 PM »
Looks interesting. I'm excited to see who will join the team. I imagine some of the Polar dudes first

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #211 on: September 16, 2021, 03:47:19 PM »
Looks interesting. I'm excited to see who will join the team. I imagine some of the Polar dudes first

Maybe even Heitor Da Silva

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #212 on: September 16, 2021, 05:56:10 PM »
The trucks are cool, but what's really interesting is seeing a concerted move away from America and American brands in the European skate industry. I'll be curious to see what else Lurpiv comes up with.

maybe the pandemic shipping issues were the final straw

KillDayoy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #213 on: September 16, 2021, 07:46:46 PM »
Just preordered a set, feel like I dodged a bullet not picking up a set of af1's when they dropped so why the hell not take a chance on these. If they end up having similar geometry to ace with the height of indy's these will be my goldilocks truck

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #214 on: September 16, 2021, 07:48:56 PM »
hopefully they will make wider sizes in the coming future..

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #215 on: September 16, 2021, 07:50:35 PM »
Ordered a set. Have some 149 Indy forged hollows and a set of 44 Classics on ice so I'll be sure to do some comparison specs/pics before anything gets skated.

pops

• Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #216 on: September 16, 2021, 09:23:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

they probably skate similar to ace trucks i imagine

They actually do not look that bad in these pics. Maybe I'll just pull the trigger and get the 149s.

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #217 on: September 16, 2021, 11:38:09 PM »
Damn, the pricing is really made to get these off the ground in america while the euros are footing the bill. Pass.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #218 on: September 17, 2021, 12:07:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://www.lurpiv.com/

76€ for a pair of trucks is cheaper than indy hollows and ti's in europe. Fair price, amazing weight, 55mm height is awesome. Too bad I just set up new trucks, would love to try them.
[close]

76? I see 92€

I'm really bummed that only came in 2 sizes 139 & 149, was expecting sizes for bigger boards. I guess I would have to wait until the next drops.
[close]

Looking on them from Switzerland and the website is showing me 76€ (+10€ for shipping when I look at checkout).
[close]

$102 shipped to the US, that's almost double truck prices here.
[close]

Well, I guess it’s time to flip the script. It’s always the Europeans paying 1/3 more on top of trucks. Regular indys are like 50 dollars in the US and then 70 in Europe.

I think the price is fair if you put all the things in context. its made in Sweden, it has some new tech on it, actually lighter than an Indy forged hollow of the same size (it’s like 10g lighter) and retails for basically the same price (85 to 90€ Price range on the indys). It’s also a new brand that doesn’t have big volumes, that makes it extra hard to make a competitive price. I bet that profit margin looks like shit.

The shipping you added doesn’t count too, that’s a factor you’ll always pay no mater the brand. And actually, 10$ to ship it from another continent sounds really reasonable. So yeah, price seems fair to me.
[close]

It wasn't a complaint exactly. I was sort of posting pricing for anyone to lazy to click through. I also think the price is justified for what he is offering and size of company.

As far as the shipping, $11 is very reasonable for that level of shipping. However it's not always an up front factor like buying direct from a brand. If I go to a local its just already tallied in to their price. Take Indy for example, they are $51.90 + $5 for shipping. At my local they are $53 out the door. In this case shipping is not a factor, because I can't simply go to my local and get a set of Lurpiv. But for all other brands I would certainly factor shipping into the overall cost.
[close]
Those prices are weird, for me that site says shipping is  25€ (29dollars) to Finland.

Yeah, that’s funny. Shipping across the Atlantic is 10$ and shipping to the neighboring country is three times as much. We live in a strange world. Maybe I’ll get a set once they’re available in the shops if the reports are good.  :)

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #219 on: September 17, 2021, 01:22:54 AM »
DM'd them like a man about the WB. Will report back.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
« Reply #220 on: September 17, 2021, 02:58:29 AM »
damn, i'm an indy 149 standards guy, but i really wanna try them out
how's the height compared to stage 11 standard 149 indys? someone said the same height in 55mm? i do not know how high my trucks are. sorry.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #221 on: September 17, 2021, 03:30:29 AM »
how's the height compared to stage 11 standard 149 indys? someone said the same height in 55mm? i do not know how high my trucks are. sorry.

Stage 11 Indy standards are also 55mm. 53.5mm on forged plates. 52mm on the mids.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #222 on: September 17, 2021, 04:07:59 AM »
Those kingpins look fierce! Tall nut too. ‘Looks’ pretty sturdy. Especially like how they skipped the Allen key altogether resulting in a lower profile hex head (looking at you Indy)....

I'd doesn't look like there's much nylon in the nut. So what happens if you don't ride tight trucks. Will the whole kingpin just loosen and wiggle out.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #223 on: September 17, 2021, 04:14:16 AM »
damn. i wish they made 8.25 sizes. they look really cool imo.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #224 on: September 17, 2021, 04:17:54 AM »
I'd doesn't look like there's much nylon in the nut. So what happens if you don't ride tight trucks. Will the whole kingpin just loosen and wiggle out.

Unfortunately, it will. However, you can just flip the nut over and engage the nyloc first.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Fhk

« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2021, 04:29:46 AM »
I really don't like the look of them, and already own too many sets of trucks. So naturally I will be buying these ASAP.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2021, 04:53:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Stage 11 Indy standards are also 55mm. 53.5mm on forged plates. 52mm on the mids.
thanks for the insight, b. much appreciated.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2021, 05:38:58 AM »
Idk about you guys but the shape of that pivot cup looks like it will restrict the turning. Like once you lean so far it will hit the baseplates and just stop.

Alex

• Rep: 1
« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2021, 05:55:11 AM »
Idk about you guys but the shape of that pivot cup looks like it will restrict the turning. Like once you lean so far it will hit the baseplates and just stop.

In an ideal world the hanger would strictly pivot in the pivot cup and not lean at all. But that hasn't been the case with any of the big name trucks I've ridden. Would be cool if Lurpiv actually gets the geometry right and solves this.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 606
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2021, 06:48:12 AM »
pivot cup is the name of the plastic part usually, most certainly the same as any other brand

it would be terrible engineering if the turning is limited by the shape of the pin/ball (hanger side) or baseplate while turning normally
It can't be "limitless" either or it would go out of the well

you can't see on these pictures if it's going to be worse or better than any other brand

Sidenote: it's weird that we use the term pivot because it's more like a ball/socket joint rather than a pivot joint
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 07:16:18 AM by BALARGUE »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2021, 07:01:58 AM »
I took it to Oski like a man.
I don’t wanna badger him. I’m surprised he even replied. But that just makes me back him more that he did. No real info. But I assume it’s something they didn’t pay much attention too because slap is probably the only skateboarders that analytical( did I use this word correct?)about gear.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #231 on: September 17, 2021, 07:29:39 AM »
He said the same to me and honestly I doubt he knows. He’s ridden Ace for forever and lots of pros simply don’t think about that shit. They adjust or pick a different deck shape and move on with life.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2021, 07:30:28 AM »
I took it to Oski like a man.
I don’t wanna badger him. I’m surprised he even replied. But that just makes me back him more that he did. No real info. But I assume it’s something they didn’t pay much attention too because slap is probably the only skateboarders that analytical( did I use this word correct?)about gear.

He's sick dude! I bought one of his pro boards once and tagged him, he replied thanking for the support which I wasn't expecting. Small gesture but makes me think of him as an approachable and down to earth dude.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #233 on: September 17, 2021, 07:30:58 AM »
From those on board photos that Oski posted, I’m worried the geo of these trucks will result in “Thunder Effect” where the wheels make contact with ledges on noise/tailslides before the baseplate.

Not an absolute dealbreaker, but was definitely one of my grievances when I tried to make Thunders work.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2021, 07:35:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
pivot cup is the name of the plastic part usually, most certainly the same as any other brand

it would be terrible engineering if the turning is limited by the shape of the pin/ball (hanger side) or baseplate while turning normally
It can't be "limitless" either or it would go out of the well

you can't see on these pictures if it's going to be worse or better than any other brand

Sidenote: it's weird that we use the term pivot because it's more like a ball/socket joint rather than a pivot joint
Filip Almqvist has no problem leaning all the way to wheelbite, not sure what size wheels he uses but the hanger shape doesn't look like it limits the lean/turn at all unless you have 50mm wheels and 3" of risers.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #235 on: September 17, 2021, 07:40:27 AM »
From those on board photos that Oski posted, I’m worried the geo of these trucks will result in “Thunder Effect” where the wheels make contact with ledges on noise/tailslides before the baseplate.

Not an absolute dealbreaker, but was definitely one of my grievances when I tried to make Thunders work.
I don't think it will be like a Thunder, the baseplates stick out a lot more, probably closer to an Indy, but appear like they don't because the hanger's 'face' is not 90°, it's angled. And the bolt holes are far from the end of the baseplate like an Indy.

Robby

• Rep: 15
« Reply #236 on: September 17, 2021, 07:51:12 AM »
Damn, the pricing is really made to get these off the ground in america while the euros are footing the bill. Pass.
While that is definitely possible (and pretty likely), it could be that since it’s a pre-order they’re doing one bulk shipment to an American distributor and then sending them individually from there. Might be more expensive for US shipping for a non drop order?

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2193
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #237 on: September 17, 2021, 08:38:54 AM »
I’m still on board to cop a set after a few braver souls have given them the shake down & reported back, but I’ve still got this “twin axle” thing stuck in my craw.
Strength/rigidity questions aside, is there anybody out there that doesn’t love the feeling of a grind, once you’ve gotten down into the steel of the axle?
That’s the best part of the truck’s life, as far as I’m concerned; shit grinds through ‘crete like greased butter when they’re in that state.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #238 on: September 17, 2021, 09:26:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
While that is definitely possible (and pretty likely), it could be that since it’s a pre-order they’re doing one bulk shipment to an American distributor and then sending them individually from there. Might be more expensive for US shipping for a non drop order?
[close]

That sounds pretty likely but i am not just talking about the shipping cost. These trucks cost 90$ for US customers which currently equals 77€. To european customers these trucks are sold at 90€ which equals 105$.

Could be something to do with VAT?
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #239 on: September 17, 2021, 09:32:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Unfortunately, it will. However, you can just flip the nut over and engage the nyloc first.

Or simply use a nut which isn’t as tall.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021