Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 137532 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #570 on: November 19, 2021, 02:59:05 AM »
These reviews are getting me excited! Thanks to every one of you! But who’s got the wheelbase measurement?

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #571 on: November 19, 2021, 03:38:31 AM »
These reviews are getting me excited! Thanks to every one of you! But who’s got the wheelbase measurement?

Polar board - 14.5wb
with Lurpivs on - 17.25
so about +2.75

IpathCats

« Reply #572 on: November 19, 2021, 05:47:29 AM »
My tracking went from stuck in germany, to arriving today! TGIF MOTHERFUCKERS, I don't even care that its cold, I'm skating these puppies today BABY!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #573 on: November 19, 2021, 06:18:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Polar board - 14.5wb
with Lurpivs on - 17.25
so about +2.75

Nice! Thank you very much for this. Which board though? All Polar boards that I’ve measured with a stated wheelbase of 14.5” have actually been 14.375”. Multiple boards of each: 8.375”, 8.5”, 9.0”, P2, P9, 1991. Can you measure if the wb of the board is actually 14.5” or is it also 14.375”?

Anyway, seems to be close to where Ace are at. As I’ve bee skating Aces only for a good while now and usually with 1/8” risers too, these should feel right at home for me pop wise at least. If they’d make an 8.75” version I’d order a set immediately. Got enough 8.375”, 8.5” and 9.0” Aces to last me a long while.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #574 on: November 19, 2021, 07:26:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Polar board - 14.5wb
with Lurpivs on - 17.25
so about +2.75

Dang you sure about this? Oski said they would be like Independents so +3, but I guess he didn't know. Even Ace moved away from +2.75 to +3 with AF-1. I'm not a big fan of short wb truck pop feel at all. This would put them strongly in the transition/pool category of trucks.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #575 on: November 19, 2021, 07:53:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Polar board - 14.5wb
with Lurpivs on - 17.25
so about +2.75
[close]

Dang you sure about this? Oski said they would be like Independents so +3, but I guess he didn't know. Even Ace moved away from +2.75 to +3 with AF-1. I'm not a big fan of short wb truck pop feel at all. This would put them strongly in the transition/pool category of trucks.

I’m not a fan of the pop on aces, UNLESS I’m using 56 + wheels. And then it’s rowdy.
Short wb, + big wheels, helped the pop, for me

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #576 on: November 19, 2021, 08:10:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Polar board - 14.5wb
with Lurpivs on - 17.25
so about +2.75
[close]

I'd wait for that double-check on the Polar wb measurement, as pointed out above the listed measurement is weirdly wrong and they usually come out to 14.3." Which, if that's the case, would skew Lurpivs towards just under +3" range, same as older Indys (Stage 7/8) and Films before they did the redesign.

IpathCats

« Reply #577 on: November 19, 2021, 08:19:02 AM »
Went home for lunch break and surprise surprise, my lurpivs have arrived. Metal seems weird on these as others have mentioned, the finish is almost chalky. The metal seems soft, tbh I'm skeptical of the durability of these. Gonna set them up and abuse them asap.

IpathCats

« Reply #578 on: November 19, 2021, 08:31:13 AM »
Lots of weird manufacturing marks/defects. There are two small notches near the pivot point on one hangar.

Nylock is bulging out after putting wheels on too
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 09:32:27 AM by IpathCats »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #579 on: November 19, 2021, 08:53:17 AM »
Lots of weird manufacturing marks/defects. There are two small notches near the pivot point on one hangar.

Nylock is bulging out after putting wheels on too

Yeah man, the pinch of your grinds is gonna be hella affected by those 2 microscopical notches on the hanger… I would send them back if it was me!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

IpathCats

« Reply #580 on: November 19, 2021, 09:32:12 AM »

Yeah man, the pinch of your grinds is gonna be hella affected by those 2 microscopical notches on the hanger… I would send them back if it was me!

I never implied that or anything near that lol. Just thought it was worth mentioning after the wait, and how much these cost.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #581 on: November 19, 2021, 09:37:07 AM »
The bulging nylock is no bueno. Is it one nut or all of them?

IpathCats

« Reply #582 on: November 19, 2021, 09:50:05 AM »

Idk if it was all of them, but it was def more than one. Also, neither the axel nut or kingpin nut(technically bolt since its IKP) are standard sizes. The kingpin part of a normal skate tool will adjust both, but there's a fair amount of play, and you need to lock the nut in between two positions on your tool. Really not a fan of that, its gonna lead to stripped hardware eventually if you use a regular skate tool. It's probably metric, but its just kind of annoying when most people use regular skate tools.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #583 on: November 19, 2021, 09:55:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Idk if it was all of them, but it was def more than one. Also, neither the axel nut or kingpin nut(technically bolt since its IKP) are standard sizes. The kingpin part of a normal skate tool will adjust both, but there's a fair amount of play, and you need to lock the nut in between two positions on your tool. Really not a fan of that, its gonna lead to stripped hardware eventually if you use a regular skate tool. It's probably metric, but its just kind of annoying when most people use regular skate tools.
They should have included a Lurpiv specific tool if it is indeed metric, these things don't see very high torque so it should be alright if you're gentle and careful, but still.

IpathCats

« Reply #584 on: November 19, 2021, 09:58:32 AM »

They should have included a Lurpiv specific tool if it is indeed metric, these things don't see very high torque so it should be alright if you're gentle and careful, but still.

Yea, if you don't manhandle it you'll be ok. But you're right about the tool, would've much preferred that over a tin box that was all dented by the time it got to me on the east coast anyways.

dawgi

• Rep: 0
« Reply #585 on: November 19, 2021, 10:08:40 AM »
My tracking went from stuck in germany, to arriving today! TGIF MOTHERFUCKERS, I don't even care that its cold, I'm skating these puppies today BABY!

Did your tracking get any other updates before it said arriving today? Mine have been stuck in Germany since the 15th and still haven’t left.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #586 on: November 19, 2021, 10:12:34 AM »
It's probably metric, but its just kind of annoying when most people use regular skate tools.

If it is indeed metric, are the threads metric or will a standard axle nut work on it?  That would be a big bummer if you can't use a standard nut to replace it when the nylock does give out.

IpathCats

« Reply #587 on: November 19, 2021, 10:16:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did your tracking get any other updates before it said arriving today? Mine have been stuck in Germany since the 15th and still haven’t left.

I checked yesterday and they still hadnt left. When I checked this morning they had left, landed in the us in kentucky, gone to chantilly VA, then to the city next to me in MD. So im not sure if it was really being updated in real time, or all the updates showed up at once.

IpathCats

« Reply #588 on: November 19, 2021, 10:17:42 AM »
Expand Quote
It's probably metric, but its just kind of annoying when most people use regular skate tools.
[close]

If it is indeed metric, are the threads metric or will a standard axle nut work on it?  That would be a big bummer if you can't use a standard nut to replace it when the nylock does give out.

I was thinking the same thing. Wasn't sure if metric had different thread specs though.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #589 on: November 19, 2021, 11:02:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I never implied that or anything near that lol. Just thought it was worth mentioning after the wait, and how much these cost.

“Lots of weird manufacturing marks/defects”, points out 2 little things that you almost need a magnifier to see and affect nothing about the performance. It’s a new brand, new production line trying new machinery to do a new product, a scratch here and there might happen, it’s normal. I wish people would have a little common sense when calling things out…  ::)

Also on the nut topic. Of course other “regular” nuts will fit the axle width, otherwise your bearings wouldn’t fit/would be loose on the axle (pretty sure that’s not the case).

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #590 on: November 19, 2021, 11:36:51 AM »
Everything being metric makes me want to buy the trucks more
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Dan Gerous

« Reply #591 on: November 19, 2021, 11:41:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

“Lots of weird manufacturing marks/defects”, points out 2 little things that you almost need a magnifier to see and affect nothing about the performance. It’s a new brand, new production line trying new machinery to do a new product, a scratch here and there might happen, it’s normal. I wish people would have a little common sense when calling things out…  ::)

Also on the nut topic. Of course other “regular” nuts will fit the axle width, otherwise your bearings wouldn’t fit/would be loose on the axle (pretty sure that’s not the case).
The axle is the same diameter yes, but is the thread pitch the same if the nut is metric? Could be X thread per cm instead of Y thread per inch so a nut from another truck could possibly not fit even if they have the same inside diameter...

Easy to check though, take another brand truck and line the threaded parts of the axles next to each other and see if the threads are spaced the same.

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #592 on: November 19, 2021, 12:10:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Polar board - 14.5wb
with Lurpivs on - 17.25
so about +2.75
[close]

Nice! Thank you very much for this. Which board though? All Polar boards that I’ve measured with a stated wheelbase of 14.5” have actually been 14.375”. Multiple boards of each: 8.375”, 8.5”, 9.0”, P2, P9, 1991. Can you measure if the wb of the board is actually 14.5” or is it also 14.375”?

Anyway, seems to be close to where Ace are at. As I’ve bee skating Aces only for a good while now and usually with 1/8” risers too, these should feel right at home for me pop wise at least. If they’d make an 8.75” version I’d order a set immediately. Got enough 8.375”, 8.5” and 9.0” Aces to last me a long while.

Yes, you are correct. I was just going off the little sticker on the board that gave its dimensions. But after measuring, it is not quite 14.5, 14.375 looks about right. 

So its about
+2.875.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #593 on: November 19, 2021, 12:25:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Polar board - 14.5wb
with Lurpivs on - 17.25
so about +2.75
[close]

[close]

Yes, you are correct. I was just going off the little sticker on the board that gave its dimensions. But after measuring, it is not quite 14.5, 14.375 looks about right. 

So its about
+2.875.

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I really appreciate you going through the trouble of measuring and posting a great review also. These are tempting me like mad. If only the postage to Finland wasn’t 25€, I might snatch a set of the 149s even though I really don’t need new trucks.  ;D

Edit:
Took it to insta like a man and asked about the possibility of 8.75” trucks:

upload images

IpathCats

« Reply #594 on: November 19, 2021, 12:40:58 PM »

Just got back home, yea it's all of them.

It's very noticeable when you're holding them in your hand, and theres more than what I posted pics of. I haven't even skated them yet these are surface level, objective observations. Idgaf how new they are, I paid $100 for these mother fuckers I'll point out imperfections. I don't need to give anyone any slack, I gave them my money.

IpathCats

« Reply #595 on: November 19, 2021, 02:09:49 PM »
Had a good time on my first sesh. These pop like Indy's, the turn is very similar to af1s. I hit some steel coping, ledges, rails, painted concrete, the felt great to grind. Not quite as good as Indy imo, but definitely better than classic aces, similar to af1s. I really liked the combo of stability and turn on these, surfy without ever feeling squirrely. No wheelbite whatsoever with roughly 55mm wheels (56mm classics I've been skating). My flip tricks were a bit off, but I think that's due to the height/weight/size difference, I was just on Indy titanium 144s and an 8.25. I set these 149s on an 8.3 so I think it's just a bit of getting used to. These bushings are interesting, maybe why they preform the way they do. Will report back more as I skate them more.

Edit: also, the krook pinch didn't seem to have that weird sloppy ace feeling. I did a few, felt similar to Indy. I didn't do any smiths or feebles, can't comment on that pinch.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 02:42:49 PM by IpathCats »

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • the moon rules
« Reply #596 on: November 19, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »
Some friends got theirs today, but my shipment is rescheduled for next Wednesday. They might just show up for my long weekend after all
fuck you bama

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #597 on: November 19, 2021, 02:51:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Seems my truck madness did return, got the box today... Don't ask me how they skate, ongoing injury keeps me off board for a while. Anyway, some pics for you to look at.

Build quality looks good on quick glance.

These are 149s.

[close]
These are the photos I wanted. Thank you. I'm still getting royals because I need wider than the current offering from lurpiv. Hope they make wider ones in the future.

thats crazy my 8.5" tensor mag light atg are 55mm high but weight 105g less than those trucks! cant wait to see how they groove and how long they last. not much metal for crooked grinds.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #598 on: November 19, 2021, 05:38:40 PM »
8.5 inches is 215 mm, would have been sick to call them that....just to be more disruptive...

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #599 on: November 19, 2021, 06:26:23 PM »

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I really appreciate you going through the trouble of measuring and posting a great review also. These are tempting me like mad. If only the postage to Finland wasn’t 25€, I might snatch a set of the 149s even though I really don’t need new trucks.  ;D

Edit:
Took it to insta like a man and asked about the possibility of 8.75” trucks:

upload images

Sick! I’m glad they’re doing 8.75’s. Hopefully a 9.0 in the future too.

25€ Shipping from Sweden to Finland. Wow.
$11 to ship to the US