Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 133683 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 751
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #1350 on: May 25, 2022, 12:37:13 PM »
My session was cut short by one of the hangers breaking. To be fair, they were fairly used but still bummed. They were good while they lasted, though, which was about 4 or 5 months.

Damn! I guess you can check "break a truck from skating" off the bucket list if you haven't done so prior to this.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1351 on: May 26, 2022, 02:06:51 PM »

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #1352 on: May 26, 2022, 02:22:21 PM »
What's this little bolt for:

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 751
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1353 on: May 26, 2022, 02:27:21 PM »
What's this little bolt for:

Band aid solution to keep the kingpin from moving. Tighten it down so it holds down the kingpin. However it's super easy for this thing to loosen up and get lost.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #1354 on: May 26, 2022, 03:45:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Nah, they were younger guys who almost exclusively skated drops and flip tricks on flat. For some reason most people aren't doing grinds in my local city, so the trucks were in near perfect condition. It probably got some pressure cracks from a big drop or something but they completely broke in half near the middle of the hanger. Venture did send them some replacements though.
[close]

lol thats wild

For real, we don't have a lot of obstacles in my smallish city but everyone just goes to the same slab of flat to practice their flip tricks. Grinds are my bread and butter in a sesh so I'm always solo at the curbs and ledges. Sometimes they'll post instagram edits of them visiting parks in other cities and they'll be skating the flat in the corner or at most a bank to do a flip trick to fakie. Now that I'm thinking about it, their dedication is quite admirable.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

IpathCats

« Reply #1355 on: May 26, 2022, 04:51:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nah, they were younger guys who almost exclusively skated drops and flip tricks on flat. For some reason most people aren't doing grinds in my local city, so the trucks were in near perfect condition. It probably got some pressure cracks from a big drop or something but they completely broke in half near the middle of the hanger. Venture did send them some replacements though.
[close]

lol thats wild
[close]

For real, we don't have a lot of obstacles in my smallish city but everyone just goes to the same slab of flat to practice their flip tricks. Grinds are my bread and butter in a sesh so I'm always solo at the curbs and ledges. Sometimes they'll post instagram edits of them visiting parks in other cities and they'll be skating the flat in the corner or at most a bank to do a flip trick to fakie. Now that I'm thinking about it, their dedication is quite admirable.

A grinder in a sea of flippers.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #1356 on: May 26, 2022, 09:07:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

lol thats wild
[close]

That reminds me of when I used to hit the skatepark before work. There was another guy who’d show up at 7 as well and just do flat tricks in a corner for the hour I was there.
Every day.
Odd as hell and I though he couldn’t skate transition at all until about a year later I saw him skate the spine and he ripped. Still odd that he’d go there just for flat though.
Back on topic, saw Lurpivs are being sold at Tictacs now. Should be some interesting reviews soon.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1357 on: May 27, 2022, 04:54:49 AM »
That broken truck looks really sketchy, goddamn… other truck would probably have cracked but the axle helps holding it together. With Lurpivs is a clean snap that could end up really badly.

Well, I’ve noticed that Lurpiv has been really silent lately on social media, and now you pointed that the website is down. Makes me wonder if they are cooking something new or pulling the plug… I think the first makes the most sense since Ville Wester and Karsten Kleppan started riding the trucks not long ago. Maybe they’ll announce a new revised truck? Finally a skate team? Who knows…

I'd hope so. I just had a look at my "intact" Lurpiv (i.e. the one that did not break) and noticed it was hella bent. And the craziest stuff I ollie is a 3 stair so imagine what happens if you give one of these to a dude hucking 10 stairs.

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #1358 on: May 27, 2022, 07:28:53 AM »
Expand Quote
That broken truck looks really sketchy, goddamn… other truck would probably have cracked but the axle helps holding it together. With Lurpivs is a clean snap that could end up really badly.

Well, I’ve noticed that Lurpiv has been really silent lately on social media, and now you pointed that the website is down. Makes me wonder if they are cooking something new or pulling the plug… I think the first makes the most sense since Ville Wester and Karsten Kleppan started riding the trucks not long ago. Maybe they’ll announce a new revised truck? Finally a skate team? Who knows…
[close]

I'd hope so. I just had a look at my "intact" Lurpiv (i.e. the one that did not break) and noticed it was hella bent. And the craziest stuff I ollie is a 3 stair so imagine what happens if you give one of these to a dude hucking 10 stairs.

Damn they really shouldn't have made it into skate shops, or be released at all. Are they sending you a new pair?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1359 on: May 27, 2022, 12:23:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Damn they really shouldn't have made it into skate shops, or be released at all. Are they sending you a new pair?

I didn't get a reply to my email. When the site was still up they used to be very responsive, not sure what's going on.
why come?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1360 on: May 27, 2022, 01:15:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Either one of those trucks was destined for failure, nice work!

I'll stick to trucks with full axles.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1361 on: May 27, 2022, 01:23:27 PM »
Yeah, the axle design sounded neat but it's not strong enough.

Just put a regular axle in and even forgo ikp and this truck will look way better than bent/cracked.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1362 on: May 27, 2022, 01:50:04 PM »
Yeah, as flawed as they were, the grind was really dope and the turn was great too. I hope they come back with an improved version 2.0.
why come?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1363 on: May 27, 2022, 07:17:15 PM »
Will Ace take Oski back?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1364 on: May 27, 2022, 07:53:43 PM »
Version 2.0 will just be a much more expensive, cubist-influenced Ace with some sort of glaring design flaw. But it will still include the useless tin.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1365 on: May 30, 2022, 02:22:29 AM »
or else they thought that their particular casting process was strong enough to forego a truss

That really was the whole point of these trucks in my opinion. Designing a truck that is aesthetically completely different, but structurally as strong as everything else would be a sick art on wheels type of concept that skaters wished into existence. The problem is the material science is clearly lacking somewhere. Isn't it mildly worrying the rheocasting method they use is supposed to be aerospace grade? Maybe we should know which airplane is using those components? :o That clean hanger snap on a flatground pop shove is fucking gnarly, just makes me cringe at the thought of something like that happening in transition.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #1366 on: May 30, 2022, 07:18:05 AM »
Expand Quote
or else they thought that their particular casting process was strong enough to forego a truss
[close]

That really was the whole point of these trucks in my opinion. Designing a truck that is aesthetically completely different, but structurally as strong as everything else would be a sick art on wheels type of concept that skaters wished into existence. The problem is the material science is clearly lacking somewhere. Isn't it mildly worrying the rheocasting method they use is supposed to be aerospace grade? Maybe we should know which airplane is using those components? :o That clean hanger snap on a flatground pop shove is fucking gnarly, just makes me cringe at the thought of something like that happening in transition.

Man, there are no concerns with rheocasting parts in aerospace- oski didn’t design them. Well, that’s kinda mean, but what I’m trying to say is I’m fairly certain the aerospace r&d and testing process is a bit more stringent.
The lurpiv design aesthetic ain’t different, either-it’s de-evolution, atavism, retro - gresshun.  Trucks started as T hangers and the truss design evolved (or Tracker developed it and everybody copied it) to provide strength and minimize weight.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #1367 on: May 30, 2022, 07:33:28 AM »
Is this the first truck related rugpull?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1368 on: May 30, 2022, 07:47:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Man, there are no concerns with rheocasting parts in aerospace- oski didn’t design them. Well, that’s kinda mean, but what I’m trying to say is I’m fairly certain the aerospace r&d and testing process is a bit more stringent.
The lurpiv design aesthetic ain’t different, either-it’s de-evolution, atavism, retro - gresshun.  Trucks started as T hangers and the truss design evolved (or Tracker developed it and everybody copied it) to provide strength and minimize weight.

The aluminum may be a stronger type of aluminum for aerospace to and just the process is the same but aerospace using stronger materials. The shop I work at we do aerospace parts. We don’t cast them but i personally have worked on or had a hand in repairing some cast aerospace parts. Granted I don’t know the casting process but the parts being repaired are parts that wouldn’t cause a plane to crash.  Like some are internal door parts. Etc. so maybe the parts being cast for aerospace aren’t like needed to be crazy structural parts or use better material. I don’t know every part that goes on a plane either. I see only one piece of a much larger puzzle.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1369 on: May 30, 2022, 07:48:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You're right that the T hanger was the start of it all, but those early T hangers were narrow and not designed for impacts. If Lurpiv 149s were durable and structurally sound thanks to modern technology and materials they would be the coolest truck out there. They probably still are to be honest. Just saw an Oski ad in some shop magazine, Lurpivs looked sick.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #1370 on: June 05, 2022, 07:08:54 AM »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1371 on: June 05, 2022, 07:23:34 AM »
Seems like the easy fix is a normal axle but maybe sales tanked so hard he can't afford whatever that would cost to re took their molds and shit.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #1372 on: June 05, 2022, 09:13:28 AM »
So, does Lurpiv have (had?) anything to do with SKF bearings? 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1373 on: June 05, 2022, 09:14:23 AM »
I like that he had a sense of humor about it. Must have been a brief but wild ride for Oski and J Mag...

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1374 on: June 05, 2022, 09:45:18 AM »
Feel like they’re not done, my guess is that they are recalling and not selling their current version, and will be back in biz when they fix all the issues

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1375 on: June 05, 2022, 10:08:06 AM »
I think that is their intent…..but…..we’ll find it’s dunzo….

Or they should just get them made where everyone else gets trucks made….china. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1376 on: June 05, 2022, 10:33:30 AM »
Feel like they’re not done, my guess is that they are recalling and not selling their current version, and will be back in biz when they fix all the issues
Yeah this is what I thought (or hope) they probably reached a point with all the issues their trucks had it was costing way too much to constantly be fixing them and sending people replacement parts. Wonder if anyone had issues with the freestyle trucks? Maybe they can use up all their weird baseplates on those

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1377 on: June 05, 2022, 10:33:36 AM »
Dude needs to find a foundry that’s already making quality trucks, get a full axle in there along with a regular kingpin/hardware, and call it a day. It was a mistake to overthink all the little things when they already had the turn and the grind dialed in, which is truly all that matters

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1378 on: June 05, 2022, 10:37:38 AM »
So this is what I got told:
The factory that produced Lurpivs actually used to make car parts. Their biggest costumer pulled out so they were struggling and had to find other forms of revenue. That’s where Lurpiv came to play. But I guess it wasn’t enough to keep the lights on so they had to shut down.

From what I know, the trucks were kinda expensive to produce in comparison to the industry’s standard.
That’s why lurpiv was just selling them directly to the consumer through their webstore.
They were struggling to get them to be sold at skate shops and still make a decent profit…

But I feel like this is not the last time we hear about them… maybe they’ll move somewhere that makes it more business friendly. Who knows…

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1379 on: June 05, 2022, 11:05:03 AM »
Crazy that we have witnessed the speculation, announcement, and full run of this company in this thread.